Womack17
Topic Author

What Are My Chances Of Getting Upgraded?

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:49 pm

Question for DL/NW staff - I am flying DL 2994 MEM-BWI on Monday and DL 3721 BWI-MEM on Tuesday on a full Y roundtrip ticket. Both flights are flown by Mesaba

What can I expect as far as service on these CR9's and would it be worth my time to ask about possible free upgrades to the first class cabin?

Any suggestions or comments are welcome and most appreciated.

Thanks!
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

DLPMMM

RE: What Are My Chances Of Getting Upgraded?

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:54 pm

If you were a DL/NW elite you would have already been automatically upgraded. Domestic Upgrades are a benefit provided to Silver, Gold, Platinum, and soon Diamond level elites as a perk for flying on Delta/Northwest a minimum of 25K miles per year. I assume you are not at a minimum a Silver lever elite on DL/NW and therefore will not be upgraded.

WAH64D

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:06 pm

Unlikely but ask at the gate rather than the check-in desk. If there's free seats they might upgrade you. I've been upgraded at the gate on my last 2 transatlantic UA flights, albeit only from Y to Economy Plus.
I AM the No-spotalotacus.

c5load

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:19 pm

I would say your best chances of getting upgraded without being any kind of FF, is to simply ask kindly at the gate. I've done that several times and have been dressed nicely and asked nicely and they have put me in F. Your other option is to work for DL and get into F without paying anything!  Big grin

[Edited 2009-10-10 12:37:51]
"But this airplane has 4 engines, it's an entirely different kind of flying! Altogether"

Type-Rated

Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:35 pm

While an upgrade to F might be nice, MEM-BWI is such a short flight it might not even be worth asking for.
Rules for asking for an upgrade.

1. Be a FF with the airline, any level is better than no FF account.
2. Dress like you belong in F. No shorts, T-Shirts, Flip Flops, etc.
3. Treat the agent VERY nicely. If you want honey, don't go beating the hive,

And LOTS of luck plays into this equation as well.

Otherwise just buy an upgrade and guarantee a seat in F on the flight.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

pnwtraveler

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Checking in early is also another trick. The earlier the checkin the higher the priority assigned by some computer systems. Ask at check in, ask at the gate, and ask in the lounge if you get access. On AC you always look for the concierge in the black suit.

Brick

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 pm

I'd say no chance. I'm Platinum with Delta and I've missed upgrades on the CR9's this year. There is a pecking order for upgrades. All Platinums are upgraded first according to fare paid, followed by Golds (higher fare paid first), then Silvers (higher fare paid first). When the Diamond level goes into effect, they will be upgraded before Plats. That's not even factoring in the Northwest WorldPerk refugees in the equation either.

Given that there are so few F seats to begin with on a CR9 and the elite ranks have really been swelled with the double and triple EQM promotions of this summer, I'd say your upgrade chances are zero.

On those flights you'll get a drink service with a choice of either a bag of peanuts or bischoff cookies. F will get a little wider choice of snacks (fresh fruit, Sun Chips, Twix bars) and that's about it.

BTW, Delta is definitely not one of the airlines you can "sweet talk" your way into F. Prepare to sit in Y despite the high fare you paid. Before I had status with Delta, I did a ton of flights in the Y, B, and M fare classes and received absolutely no love from Delta.

[Edited 2009-10-10 13:57:10]
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

ual747den

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 pm

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 3):
I would say your best chances of getting upgraded without being any kind of FF, is to simply ask kindly at the gate. I've done that several times and have been dressed nicely and asked nicely and they have put me in F. Your other option is to work for DL and get into F without paying anything! Big grin

I hate when I see people make statements like this. Not only is it completely wrong, its a insult.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

Brick

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Quoting UAL747DEN (Reply 7):
I hate when I see people make statements like this. Not only is it completely wrong, its a insult.

Me too. I'm tired of people who think they should be given a premium product just because they ask for it "nicely" (a larger rental car, upgraded hotel room, and etc).
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

lincoln

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Quoting Brick (Reply 6):
BTW, Delta is definitely not one of the airlines you can "sweet talk" your way into F. Prepare to sit in Y despite the high fare you paid. Before I had status with Delta, I did a ton of flights in the Y, B, and M fare classes and received absolutely no love from Delta.

The last time I flew DL (and the last time I will ever fly DL) it was made exceptionally clear that if you didn't have status if, and only if, there were seats available up front they may choose to sell upgrades into those seats. Yes "sell" as in you pay. Not free.

Not only is it completely wrong, its a insult.

I won't argue with the completely wrong but, which part is insulting?

I've been upgraded in the following ways (in order of most to least common)
- Being an elite and buying full-fare Y.
- Being an elite and traveling on a discount fare.
- Offering to give up my seat for an oversell
- Capacity reasons but not offering to give up my seat in an oversell (actually, my first ever trip in F was when I was 15 and on an NW DC-10 and was completely unannounced... paper ticket, at check in agent didn't even say anything but 'be careful with this" and "you could make some good money if you're willing to take a later flight"-- then we boarded and the FA pointed us forward  Smile )
- Fixing the printer at the gate so the agent could run the dispatch paperwork.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

c5load

Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:54 pm

What is wrong with asking nicely? How is it insulting? If one person goes up to the gate agent and asks "Would there be any possibility of getting a seat in the front?" and the other goes and tells the agent "I think I should be in first class because I'm taller." Who do you think they will upgrade?

[Edited 2009-10-10 15:57:37]
"But this airplane has 4 engines, it's an entirely different kind of flying! Altogether"

MAH4546

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:34 pm

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 10):
What is wrong with asking nicely? How is it insulting? If one person goes up to the gate agent and asks "Would there be any possibility of getting a seat in the front?" and the other goes and tells the agent "I think I should be in first class because I'm taller." Who do you think they will upgrade?

Neither.

They are going to upgrade those with status who didn't even have to ask.
a.

c5load

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 11):
Neither.

They are going to upgrade those with status who didn't even have to ask.

And when they have no one else to upgrade? That's the point I'm trying to get across is that believe it or not, there will sometimes still be empty F seats even after the FF have been upgraded.

papatango

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Why do you believe you should get upgraded for nothing?

MAH4546

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 12):

And when they have no one else to upgrade?

Nobody else gets upgraded. There is no rule that the F cabin has to be full.

And on airlines like Delta where upgrades are complimentary to elite flyers, on a domestic flight, empty F seats are rare.
a.

usflyer msp

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:45 pm

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 12):
That's the point I'm trying to get across is that believe it or not, there will sometimes still be empty F seats even after the FF have been upgraded.

Yes and those seats will go empty unless the OP pays for the upgrade!

c5load

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:53 pm

Quoting USFlyer MSP (Reply 15):
Yes and those seats will go empty unless the OP pays for the upgrade!

Well, apparantley not, beacause I have gotten upgraded just by asking them if there were empty seats and if I could have one of them, and I bet that other people have as well.

MAH4546

Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:58 pm

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 16):

Well, apparantley not, beacause I have gotten upgraded just by asking them if there were empty seats and if I could have one of them, and I bet that other people have as well.

It is an extremely rare occurrence, thankfully.

I understand that occasionally free upgrades are necessary for efficiency purposes - oversold flights, missed connections and what not - but for airlines to give them out "just because" is in insult to elite and paying F customers. Which is why airlines rarely ever do so.
a.

fbgdavidson

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:13 am

checkmark 

Quoting Brick (Reply 8):
Me too. I'm tired of people who think they should be given a premium product just because they ask for it "nicely" (a larger rental car, upgraded hotel room, and etc).

Quite. Although there are some schemes (not frequent flyer though) where upgrades are e benefit but you often have to ask. At Hilton hotels I should get an upgraded room (based on my HHonors status) if they are available but it rarely gets processed automatically, I usually have to ask at the front desk...and that's what front desk staff have told me numerous times.

Quoting Womack17 (Thread starter):
Question for DL/NW staff - I am flying DL 2994 MEM-BWI on Monday and DL 3721 BWI-MEM on Tuesday on a full Y roundtrip ticket. Both flights are flown by Mesaba

If it is full Y then the difference between that and F should be pretty small. Can't you get the ticket refunded and buy F, or as most Y fares are upgradeable just call and reticket it to F?

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 10):

Put yourself in the position of a gate agent. If it was a case of just asking nicely then the gate would be beseiged before a longhaul flight with people asking 'nicely'. Even after 200 nice requests the most patient gate agent would be irate, and besides they've got more important tasks to do than deal with freeloaders.

From numerous airline staff that post here, on other travel forums and that I've met personally the best thing to do is to NOT ask, it irritates those who have been in the job for more than 5 minutes and have heard it all before. If you have the ability to upgrade somehow (miles, e-vouchers, just putting your name on the list) then use it, that's what it is there for.

If you were buying a Mercedes C Class would you ask nicely for an S Class and expect to get anywhere??

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 16):

When? 1985?

AFAIK on a lot of airlines records of upgrades are kept and monitored to avoid people just giving seats away in the front.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

LVTMB

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:15 am

Yea, but then a couple of times LH has upgraded me to F just for showing up at the check in counter. Not even on time I must admit. And I have not been an elite with Star for many years now. And then there was this time that I was booked in Y for PHI-MIA on AA, and on business class for the MIA-GRU leg. I got upgraded on the PHI-MIA leg and I didn't even ask. Go figure.

MB

c5load

Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:29 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 18):
When? 1985?

2008 actually. From BWI-DTW, I asked nicely and she did it. You can take it as an insult if you want to but I don't care. I don't fly enough to have FF status, so I use chivalry, and to much surprise, it actually works!

PWMRamper

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:17 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 14):

Nobody else gets upgraded. There is no rule that the F cabin has to be full.

Well there have been times when I'm at the gate and we're over in Y and I've bumped up all I can from our FF folks, or the higher fared tickets, but still need to put a few people into First so that we can accommodate everyone.

At that point, it's really the gate agent's discretion. Someone coming up and asking nicely isn't going to make me upset, it's when they push it. If someone comes up and nicely asks and I need to bump someone up, they may just get it.

fbgdavidson

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:54 am

Quoting C5LOAD (Reply 20):
I don't fly enough to have FF status, so I use chivalry, and to much surprise, it actually works!

Congratulations, you found one gate agent that was willing to upgrade you. Maybe that one seat in F needed to be filled, maybe the economy cabin was oversold, maybe that gate agent was new and hadn't heard it all before and felt nice...

But your success rate using "chivalry" is? How many times have you been sent away with your tail between your legs?

The hard facts are that dressing in a suit, chatting the GA up, slipping 'em a benjamin, claiming you are on honeymoon, insinuating you play squash with airline's CEO or any other strategy is going to get you an upgrade every time. Anyone can get lucky, but if you want to fly in first either pay for it, use miles or an upgrade instrument. Simple.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey