Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

HNL2BOS
Topic Author

"Strangest" Airport You Have Been To?

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:55 am

Hello All,
Just signed up today and was thinking about posting this message after my most recent trip. What is the strangest (look, location, local customs, etc) airport that you have ever been to. For the first time this October I flew into KOA, now mind you I have flown into almost every major Hawaiian Island airport but KOA blew my mind. It was just lava rock everywhere, it was very very cool.

Cheers,
Eddie

[Edited 2009-11-02 19:55:23]

[Edited 2009-11-02 19:56:08]

JQflightie

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:08 am

In Australia the strangest but one of the most beautiful Airports would be HTI, pristine blue water everywhere, awesome landing on a short runway although quiet capable of handelling a 767 ive been told. Once inside, and then through the airport, as it is a resort island there are rental cars or taxi's but it has golf carts to pic the passengers up  Smile
Big version: Width: 200 Height: 133 File size: 11kb
water either side, and a marina to the side where boats still try to bo under the flight path!
When is my next holiday?

BMI727

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:12 am

I think that Barra in Scotland is the strangest airport. The three runways are on the beach, and Loganair Twin Otters can only operate there when there is low tide, so the timetables are not consistent.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Aeroflot777

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:15 am

Flew into KOA myself back in August. Definitely an interesting airport! So humid though. Couldn't breathe while waiting for luggage.

Corfu is an interesting one. Very convoluted terminal last time I was there a few years ago.

Aeroflot777

HNL2BOS
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:24 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 3):

Yup it was humid, all my lenses fogged as soon as I tried to take some pictures outside  Sad

nateDAL

Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:32 am

SBH - Great airport, great island.
Set Love Free

odysseus9001

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:39 am

How about CDG Terminal 1. Wedding cake from the future?

John

Hawaiian452

Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:57 am

I'd say Tashkent, Uzbekistan and Majuro Atoll in the Marshall Islands have to be pretty strange and quite an experience!

platinumfoota

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:07 am

Quoting HNL2BOS (Thread starter):
For the first time this October I flew into KOA, now mind you I have flown into almost every major Hawaiian Island airport but KOA blew my mind. It was just lava rock everywhere, it was very very cool.

I have to agree with you on this one, lava rocks does give it a unique look. I didn't expect it to have only one runway or the outdoor style terminal. Loved that UA didn't use jetways just airstairs. On one trip we had a 45 minute delay do to an igniter plug malfunction which required a run up of the engines, so everyone got to enjoy some ramp noise.
Never forget United 93

CGKings317

Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:25 am

PSP: Dramatic topography-causing departures and arrival procedures, coupled with an outdoor terminal creates a very memorable and unusual airport experience Big grin

~CGKings317  Smile
I love ✈ & volcanoes but the 2 of them dont get along, just ask KLM867 & PH-BFC

DavidByrne

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 am

What about Rio Gallegos (RGL), Argentina? Back in the 1980s it was a stop en route between BUE and AKL (though not used any more for that, since the A340s took over from AR's 742s). At that stage the terminal was a huge shed - maybe different now. The last time I was there I actually joined the plane at RGL, one of just four boarding passengers. It seemed bizarre to be boarding a 747 at such a place.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

fca767

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:44 am

Half of these airports are going over my head because you are all using codes...Even if I know most the USA ICAO codes like KJFK I wouldn't say that as some people might not know, like I didn't know in the 1st two posts...or sometimes when someone does a trip report entirely on code

PlymSpotter

RE: "Strangest" Airport You Have Been To

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:10 pm

The strangest, and nicest, feeling I've had was at Reykjavik's domestic terminal. No security, no baggage screening machines, no pat down checks - just a clear path from check in to the open gate area which you can walk right up to.

As for the terminal itself, then Zamboanga in the Philippines would take that prize. Apparently it's designed according to Islamic principles and has no physical separation between the departure lounge and the apron - no wall or double/tripple glazed glass, just an open void with a metal fence stopping passengers from wandering out. It's not exactly a small terminal either and is quite a busy airport, making it great for us enthusiasts, but when a 737-200 lands a few hundred meters away and then taxies in to within 20-30 meters of where you are stood, a little sound insulation could be nice - the building reverberated to the sound of those pocket rockets, but not in a good way.

Corvo airport in the Azores is pretty unusual too, it's runway sits in a fairly narrow cutting, meaning you can stand at the top it and watch the aircraft moving below you. Pretty challenging for the pilots too.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Viscount724

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:02 pm

Quoting Odysseus9001 (Reply 6):

The original round T1 at YYZ which opened in 1964 may have given CDG the idea for their T1 which I've always done my best to avoid. YYZ T1 (demolished to make way for the current T1) was the only terminal until T2 opened in 1972. I remember how horribly congested the old T1 was after widebodies arrived but the round design didn't permit gate areas to be easily expanded, so you often had 400 passengers for a 747 crammed into gates designed for 150 passenger DC-8s and 707s. It helped when T2 opened and AC moved out (T2 also now demolished).

The multi-level parking garage in the middle of the old round T1 was an excellent spot for photos. There must be thousands of photos taken from the roof and upper floors of the parking garage, which had an unobstructed view. It was like being in the control tower. A couple of examples below.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © John Kelley

View Large View Medium

Photo © Burger Collection
View Large View Medium

Photo © Burger Collection

signol

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Quoting Odysseus9001 (Reply 6):

You mean "Le Camembert"?  Smile

I'd vote GIB - Gibraltar. Sideways over the peninsular, so the runway sticks out at both ends, and all road traffic has to cross the runway, controlled by traffic lights.

http://www.signol.co.uk/spain03/gib1.jpg
http://www.signol.co.uk/spain03/gib2.jpg

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

chootie

Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:42 pm

Well, one of the most......DREADFUL would have to be KUF/Samara, Russia. Perhaps it is more modern now, but around ´96-97 when I was there..... very, very, old, and security to the ramp was manned by a uniformed person at a "turnstile" (of course not automated or to be stopped.... just like a merry-go round....kinetically powered...)  eyepopping 
chootie

Scooter01

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Quoting Signol (Reply 14):
the runway sticks out at both ends,

Who needs a runway? -Here's from Miami, Watson Island (MPB/X44)

View Large View Medium

Photo © John L Grim

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 13):
The multi-level parking garage in the middle of the old round T1 was an excellent spot for photos. There must be thousands of photos taken from the roof and upper floors of the parking garage, which had an unobstructed view. It was like being in the control tower. A couple of examples below.

-and thank you for the memories.....

But Toronto has another strange airport, reached by one of the shortest ferry rides in the world

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Ken Videan

First time I visited was in 1970, actually to see where the original "Little Norway" was.
(then the ferry was a lot smaller too)

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

planeguy727

Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:59 am

I have a few to add:

Contadora (Panama) - a short strip with a little hut of a "terminal"

Lewiston, ID - I remember a portable trailer as the "terminal"

USH - looks like an oversized log cabin

Lake Hood - part of ANC - nice change of pace departing from water instead of departing from a traditional runway

ASP (in the early 80's when I lived there) - two cement paths from a small building with waist high chain link as the "jetways" to on tarmac aircraft (and how I loved walking up the rear airstairs on the 727)

LVI was a fun recent airport to visit

PBI - like arriving or departing from an episode of the Golden Girls

UCA & LNS - small airports with only EAS flights

Tyler, TX & Allentown, PA - both I wondered if we were going to land on a runway or random field - though both have respectable terminal buildings
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

MadameConcorde

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:00 pm

With all my extensive flying I can only think of all the Burmese airports. Rangoon, Mandalay, Nyaung U (Pagan), Heho (Inle), Mrauk U... what an adventure! All on my own and already well over 10 years back. I must go back! Burma (now Myanmar) is such a fabulous place!
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

ALexeu

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:14 pm

Maseru - King Moshoeshoe International Airport in the Kingdom of Lesotho. The only international airport in this interesting enclaved nation surrounded by South Africa.

Very small airport, funny staff, easy security and strong turbulence around...

PITingres

Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:51 pm

Long Beach (LGB) is not especially strange by itself, but in contrast to the other SoCal airports I think it's pretty amusing. I always preferred it to SNA when I was flying into south Orange regularly.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

isitsafenow

Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:45 am

Quoting HNL2BOS (Thread starter):

I was there in OCT too....twice..... 10-27 and 10-30
Maybe we pasted.
I agree KOA is neat...little pagotas and all outdoor except the snackbar/bar.
First time I was there was Dec of 86 when the runways were shorter.
WOW....what a place....... and to go up past the highway and look down on the whole
darn layout.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

MSPNWA

Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:29 am

Kahului Hawaii - The small, old school airport/terminal is definitely a little different than what I'm used to, and the circumstances that led to me being there greatly contributed to it. Everything about it felt "strange".

King Salmon Alaska - Long runway (former Air Force base) with a tiny terminal. 737s sitting right behind a fence which is just feet from the paved road, the only paved road within hundreds (I think) of miles. Out in the middle of the Alaskan tundra, hundreds of miles from any large town. It may have been a strange place, but it was really neat.

[Edited 2009-11-04 23:30:10]

HorizonGirl

Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:56 pm

Maybe it was just luck and I walked in at a weird time but my first and as of yet only impression of YOW is nothing short of bizarre. It was like this. I got off the plane and walked into the terminal, go up a floor or so in the elevator and as soon as the doors opened I was in another dimension. The gate area I was in was very dimly lit, and there were many gates with banks of seats but there were only about five people in the whole place! That wouldn't strike me as terribly odd but it was three days before Christmas. It was completely silent. No announcements, no ambient music, no talking, no employees. There was also a staircase that lead right into a wall. Maybe I was just there on an off time? That whole section of the airport was downright strange, and the rest of it was completely normal.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

elbandgeek

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:32 am

I haven't been to any really "strange" airports, but I guess you could say my home airport of MDW is the most unorthodox of any one I've been to.

Built in the middle of a city neighborhood (or more accurately, neighborhood built around it). Main terminal is on the opposite side of a major city street from the gate areas with a connecting bridge, and of course when you're landing....house house house RUNWAY

Viscount724

Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:54 am

Quoting ElBandGeek (Reply 24):
I haven't been to any really "strange" airports, but I guess you could say my home airport of MDW is the most unorthodox of any one I've been to.

Built in the middle of a city neighborhood (or more accurately, neighborhood built around it). Main terminal is on the opposite side of a major city street from the gate areas with a connecting bridge, and of course when you're landing....house house house RUNWAY

Yes, there can't be many more "urban" airports than MDW. It's hard to believe that one square mile was the world's busiest airport for about 30 years, from the early 1930s until about 1960, by which time most carriers had moved to ORD which then took over the "world's busiest" title for many years.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/59/Midway_Airport_Airfield.jpg/800px-Midway_Airport_Airfield.jpg

dlednicer
Editor

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:02 pm

Quepos - La Managua (XQP / MRQP) on the west coast of Costa Rica. The waiting room is a grass shack, hidden by some foliage in the upper right of this photo.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andre Quiros

Yushu Batang Airport on the Tibetan Plateau in China. At 12,080 feet, it takes your breath away...

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

September11

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:23 pm

Quoting CGKings317 (Reply 9):
PSP: Dramatic topography-causing departures and arrival procedures, coupled with an outdoor terminal creates a very memorable and unusual airport experience

Yes, I didn't feel PSP as an airport when I first arrived there.
Airliners.net of the Future

OP3000

Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:25 am

The old LRM airport. The runway ran across the 18th hole of a golf course, and players had to cross the runway on their golf carts. There was a siren on the cart path that rang (controlled by the the control tower) when there was aircraft taking off/landing, and thus unsafe to cross. At times the control tower forgot to ring the alarm. And regardless, there was no physical barrier holding people back from crossing.

An AA 727 flew daily from MIA and several MQ ATR-42s from SJU, plus countless general aviation aircraft.

Here is an article, photos and a video courtesy of Casa de Campo Living Magazine, which is published by the resort where the airport was located:

http://casadecampoliving.com/2009/09...asa-de-campo-punta-aguila-airport/

[Edited 2009-11-14 21:32:43]

faucett

Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:45 pm

Cayenne in the French Guyana....from the plane to the terminal (just a hut) you have the strangest bugs on the ground - most of them are black beetlles (I hope beetles and not roaches) and you just step on them....
faucett

jamesjimlb

Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:05 am

Lincoln, Nebraska

KLNK

not even a photo of it in the database, i think it has 3 gates, security only opens 30 minutes before a flight it supposed to leave, and it is tiny!
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

blink182

Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:10 pm

Mudu, Fiji.

On a hillside consiting of a shed with two scales to weigh luggage and a small grass air strip designed for the Air Fiji Twin Otters. You could maybe fit twelve standing people into the shed. No security either.
A really neat experience.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

ualcsr

Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:19 pm

[quote=Viscount724,reply=25]Yes, there can't be many more "urban" airports than MDW. It's hard to believe that one square mile was the world's busiest airport for about 30 years, from the early 1930s until about 1960, by which time most carriers had moved to ORD which then took over the "world's busiest" title for many years.[/quot

Mexico City's airport is pretty urban. There are parts of it where you can cross the street in front of the passeger drop off and be in a residential neighborhood.

seb146

Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:18 pm

Quoting Planeguy727 (Reply 17):
Lewiston, ID - I remember a portable trailer as the "terminal"

They have built a very nice terminal there. The last time I was there was about 10 years ago, but it was very nice. ALW used to have a shack for a terminal, but they built a new and modern building a few years ago. PUW is interesting. I remember driving in from the Pullman side through the wheat fields. All of a sudden, there is a barbed wire fence 8 feet high. After going around a few more corners, there is the terminal. ELK is cool. The road to the terminal goes under a little used shorter runway. BFI is fun, if you have never been there.

Quoting JamesJimlb (Reply 30):
Lincoln, Nebraska

When I was there (1993, IIRC) it wasn't so odd that the gates were opened 30 minutes before flights. I think they had TWA and UA service. The strange thing to me was the terminal was as large as it was, empty as it was and all those military transports everywhere.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

niconet

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:56 pm

Have you ever been to PUJ???

I guess we must consider it  Smile

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-F...d=1fa366874035e79f143a9b58fedd04af

SAAB900

Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Wevelgem/Kortrijk(KJK/EBKT) in Belgium! The taxiway to the hangers on the far side of the runway from the small terminal is also a road! If your not careful you can find yourself driving your car & going head to head with anything from a microlight/ultralight to a biz-jet! It's good fun though!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Nik Deblauwe
View Large View Medium

Photo © Sven De Bevere

Dave(SAAB900).

Goldenshield

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:39 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 33):
ELK is cool.

Elk City, OK, has has 1 runway. I'm assuming you meant EKO, for Elko, NV.  Wink
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

airtrainer

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:54 pm

I vote for TSF, was there in 2006 and it looked like a crappy bus terminal rather than an airport... Hope things have improved since !
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Viscount724

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:39 am

Quoting SAAB900 (Reply 35):
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Wevelgem/Kortrijk(KJK/EBKT) in Belgium! The taxiway to the hangars on the far side of the runway from the small terminal is also a road! If your not careful you can find yourself driving your car & going head to head with anything from a microlight/ultralight to a biz-jet! It's good fun though!

Gibraltar (GIB) is also unusual with a busy road crossing the runway. Traffic is stopped to permit landings and takeoffs.

http://vijaycool.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/gibraltar_airport_runway_funzugorg_04.jpg

http://www.chezmaya.com/cartesvirtuelles/aeroport/gibraltar_airport_07.jpg

Macau (MFM) is another strange one with the taxiway "bridges" leading to the runway.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/cd/Macau_International_Airport.jpg/800px-Macau_International_Airport.jpg

http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/images/macau-international-airport-thin-runway1.jpg

OP3000

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:50 am

To LHR I think it may be VLN - population 1.1 million (Venezuela's third largest city). That being said, that wasn't the case a couple of years ago when BA served CCS. Also, AA has been unsuccessfully applying for MIA-VLN rights for years.

LTU932

Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:14 am

Quoting Dlednicer (Reply 26):
Quepos - La Managua (XQP / MRQP) on the west coast of Costa Rica. The waiting room is a grass shack, hidden by some foliage in the upper right of this photo.

Try SYQ. If there wasn't a guard there, you'd only have to walk like 20 metres from the landside entrance to get airside. Plus the runway extension forced the closure of a street that led to the airport more directly than today's routes (even with the direct connection through the Boulevard)..
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

EDICHC

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:02 am

Barra- BRR in the Western Isles of Scotland

Famous in the Loganair timetable for the suffix, 'times are subject to tides' as the aircraft land on the beach at Northbay.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Braniff747SP

Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 pm

MMH, I guess. (mammoth lakes ca)
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

B777LRF

Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Well, Saddam Intl. (BGW/SDA) back in 2003 was a little "strange". Perhaps scary is a better word for it though; flying a missed approach* sure got the old heart-rate up! Of course, the chance of being mortared or target with a RPG was also present. And to think I did all that just to say I'd been there; there really was no business or operational reason for me to go - just the good old sense of adventure and for the bragging rights. Me = idiot.

* A missed approach, back then, involved tracking the runway till the end at a height of no more than 200ft. Then a 180 degree turn behind the control tower to track the parallel. At the end of that, another 180 where you basically come out of the turn as you fly over the piano keys. I was sat in the jumpseat of an A300, just behind the skipper, and that was the first time I ever wished the window to my immediate left was smaller - a lot smaller!
Signature. You just read one.

tropical77W

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:38 pm

playa baracoa airport (UPB) in havana on aerogaviota (KG). the terminal is about the size of my house, and the ramp is about the size of my driveway lol.

WestJetForLife

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:02 am

BGI, when I was there in March, was an...interesting airport. Open-air before security, had a Caribbean feel to it, no real jetways (made for a surprisingly humid walk from plane to terminal) and it just had a cute charm to it.

Busy as all Hell at 0500, though. I'm guessing that it was all of the early morning departures on LIAT, AA and Caribbean Airlines.

Nik
I need a drink.

RyanairGuru

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:01 am

There's nothing especially "strange" as such about Gladstone (GLT) in Australia other than the fact it has absolutely no security. It wasn't as if it was a complete backwater with a couple of Cessnas since Qantas/QantasLink fly there multiple times a day. I couldn't help but spend the next hour and a quarter to Brisbane thinking that if one ever felt the urge to blow up a commercial airliner GLT wouldn't be a bad place to go.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ThirtyEcho

Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:44 am

The "Fly 'N' Fish" airport in deep East Texas, on the Caddo swamp. Almost no overland access, you had to get there by pirogue or airplane. In the general aviation heyday of the late 1950s, the ramp was packed on a Sunday afternoon with light aircraft full of lunch parties. Fabulous fresh fish dinners right out of the swamp and afternoon fishing tours. They would clean your catch and ice it down for the return trip.

A strange, wonderful place that is probably long gone.