Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jayeshrulz
Topic Author

Have You Come Across Any Emergency?

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:32 am

Hello,

My cousin was in a spice jet last week ( I think 2nd) and they landed because there was pressure leak.ie the cabin was not getting pressurized.It was a BOM-DEL leg.
So they landed back after and hour in flight.
They switched the airliner and took off 4 hours later.

So it was his first emergency.
So i was wondering if you guys have come across any emergency, either as a pilot or pax.
Please share your journey.tks!
Keep flying, because the sky is no limit!

XXXX10

RE: Have You Come Across Any Emergency?

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Had an engine surge on climb-out once. It was pretty scary for a while with smoke filling the cabin.

330lover

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Not a real emergency, but years ago I boarded a Canadair of Tyrolean to fly BRU via LNZ to SZG. While the plane was still on the ground, a bagage cart skidded on the very wet tarmac (due heavy rain) and hit the landing gear. Result: flight cancelled and we got rerouted.
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

Type-Rated

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:40 pm

Back in the late 70's I was flying a Cessna 310 over AEX and the left engine threw a rod. It wasn't hard to diagnose, the rod exited the engine nacelle through the top. It left a nice hole where it went through. Fortunately, I was right over the AEX airport at about 8,000 feet, so I just shut everything down and spiraled down to the runway. It was more nerve wracking then scary.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

jeta380

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:46 pm

I was directly involved in the evacuation of an entire United Airlines Boeing 747 just after 9/11 at Sydney Airport after a note was located in the plane stating 'B-O-B'. The captain believed the note mean't 'Bomb on board'. It later came to light that one of the hosties wrote the note but it mean't 'Best on Board'.

The note was found after take off and the plane had to dump fuel and then return to Sydney for the evacuation. I'm not sure what happened to the hostie.

B6JFKH81

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:50 pm

Yup, I have been on flights with bird strikes, slat/flap issues, brake/steering faults/failure, engine issues, and 1 medical emergency too. I have also (in a small aircraft) had an engine failure on a single engine C152. I'm starting to think I am just bad luck LOL!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

lowrider

Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:52 pm

I have had a valve seat disintegrate on a C172 on takeoff. It went through the piston and the cylinder lost all compression. I thought the engine was going to jump out of the mount. That was an exciting, (and short) flight. Other than that I have had other times where I declared an emergency, but the situation was not dire. Things like shutting down or losing engines on transport catagory planes. Lost all comms over Indiana one night. That is about it.
Proud OOTSK member

LHRlocal

Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Quoting XXXX10 (Reply 1):
Had an engine surge on climb-out once. It was pretty scary for a while with smoke filling the cabin.

Just wondering, was this a single engine plane or not? If not, how would the smoke find its way to the cabin? Just curious  Smile

XXXX10

Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:52 am

Quoting LHRlocal (Reply 7):
Just wondering, was this a single engine plane or not? If not, how would the smoke find its way to the cabin? Just curious  

It was a twin engined plane-B 757, not sure how the smoke got in, probably through the air-con. Some of the pax saw flames comming from the back of the engine, although I didn't

soon7x7

Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:13 am

Lost #2 engine over Cape Kennedy in a USAir MD-80....three restarts were attempted but no go...another time departed LGA on Eastern DC-9, right main gear was recycled three times over NYC as she wouldn't retract, so we burned fuel for 45 minutes over the Atlantic and put down in JFK to swap aircraft. On a Lufthansa A346 from KJFK>EDDM with two medical emergencies going on simultaneously and on the return flight at 36,000 feet, my drunk girlfriend wanted to step outside for a "smoke"...Cigarette in mouth the FA's were not thrilled, nor was I...  banghead 

747m8te

Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Quoting Jayeshrulz (Thread starter):
My cousin was in a spice jet last week ( I think 2nd) and they landed because there was pressure leak.ie the cabin was not getting pressurized.It was a BOM-DEL leg.
So they landed back after and hour in flight.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me on my second flight, back when i was a kid in 1992, with Australian Airlines, 737-400 MEL-BNE, didn't bother me at all except we then missed our connecting flight in BNE, missed the opportunity to get on a shorts 360 BNE-MCY...we got put on a bus instead dammit!
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

rolypolyman

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:59 pm

In 1991 I was on an ATA 727-100 from TNX-LSV. There were only 15 pax and 2 FA's on board. We'd just taken off from Tonopah on Rwy 14 and about 30 seconds after takeoff the plane levelled off. I heard a couple of gear extension/retraction cycles, then the pilot announced we were going to make a pass at TNX so the control tower could check the gear. That we did, above the runway at about 300 ft AGL. The pilot came on after that and said that the nose gear was not down. The pilot elected to continue on to LSV, where there was better emergency support, so they retracted the gear, did the 30 minute flight, then began the descent. I believe they did a couple of extensions/retractions inflight, then left the gear out.

The FA asked us to all move to the front and briefed us individually on the crash position (lean forward, cover back of neck) and the emergency exits. We made the approach to Rwy 21R and I could see fire trucks along the runway. We touched down, all of us in the crash position, and the nose gear was apparently down. We stopped on the runway and a rep from ATA checked the nose gear, saw it was locked, and we resumed a normal taxi back to the ramp on the northeast side of LSV. I was only in my 20s at the time and recall hoping for a dramatic end to the flight, but I think my attitude would be different now.

One incident a little less dramatic (probably routine, but memorable) -- New Years Eve 1990 I was on an AA DC-10 from DFW-LAS flight after dark. We took off on DFW 31L, and rejected takeoff, totally up near V1. We used up almost all of the 9300 ft runway braking to a stop. It turns out that the cargo door light had come on. I guess it was for good reason considering the THY DC-10 crash years earlier. We spent 1 hour just waiting for an open gate, then they elected to just sit there while a mechanic came to the plane. It was probably midnight before the plane took off again and I recall there were some irate pax.

PlymSpotter

Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:39 pm

I was supposed to have been on the KLM 737 which crash landed at BCN, but my work got shitty and didn't honor a verbal ok to have time off, so I had to fly LH in the next day instead. Knowing that everybody was alright, a big part of me wishes I'd been on it, just for the experience, but then a few years later when a Yak I was on did something similar (but stayed on the runway) it made me re-think a little.

Dan  Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

UltimateDelta

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:26 pm

I think the worst thing that ever happened was when we were headed to FRA in 1999 and shortly after takeoff from DFW, our 767 suffered a hydraulic failure. As a result, the flaps wouldn't retract and we ended up landing heavy and were followed by the full complement of emergency vehicles. I think my dad might have taken some pics, and if I find them, I'll try to post them  Smile
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

WestJetYQQ

Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:32 pm

Quoting Jeta380 (Reply 4):
'B-O-B'. The captain believed the note mean't 'Bomb on board'. It later came to light that one of the hosties wrote the note but it mean't 'Best on Board'.

Round here that means "Buy on Board." B-O-B is WestJet's little snack time idea.

Unfortunately though, I've never been through the excitement of a flight that wasn't flawless.  Sad

Cheers
Carson
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

planeguy727

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:05 am

2x emergency landing due to smoke in cabin within 30 day time frame. Both DL Md-88 out of atlanta. random of course but after the second one it makes you think...

Also several aborted t/o or landings - not real emergencies in my mind but other pax freaked out.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

rolypolyman

Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:34 am

Quoting UltimateDelta (Reply 13):
I think the worst thing that ever happened was when we were headed to FRA in 1999 and shortly after takeoff from DFW, our 767 suffered a hydraulic failure. As a result, the flaps wouldn't retract and we ended up landing heavy and were followed by the full complement of emergency vehicles.

I actually had that happen in July 1994 on a C-5B going DOV-FRA-MBA for Operation Support Hope. After takeoff from DOV around midnight we heard a series of flap retraction noises, then we levelled and dumped fuel for half an hour off the Delaware coast somewhere, then landed. By the time they fixed it it was 2 a.m. and we got back on board, only to be told to get off again because the crew was going to run over their duty day. Real fun sleeping across folding chairs in the warm hangar that night.

Maverick623

Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 am

Back in 1998 or 1999, I was flying into PHX on a DL 757. Apparently the nose gear wasn't indicating locked, so we did a couple of fly by's and what seemed like a ton of gear cycles, before we came in with fire trucks at the ready. Turned out to be a false alarm. It was pretty cool to see the replay on the news when I got home.

Also I was driving by the airport (I wasn't working that day.... going to a party instead!) when I noticed a ton of fire trucks racing towards the US Airways hangar. Not a minute before, a BA 747 started evacuating due to smoke in the cabin.

Scariest thing ever though was not being able to see what happened.... a bag runner called into me over the radio saying "I think an airplane..... looks like something blew up by an airplane." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZrox_NxDw
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

jayeshrulz
Topic Author

Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:00 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 5):
Yup, I have been on flights with bird strikes, slat/flap issues, brake/steering faults/failure, engine issues, and 1 medical emergency too. I have also (in a small aircraft) had an engine failure on a single engine C152. I'm starting to think I am just bad luck LOL!

Lol, but ure lucky to post in here after all that...:D

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 9):
Lost #2 engine over Cape Kennedy in a USAir MD-80....three restarts were attempted but no go...another time departed LGA on Eastern DC-9, right main gear was recycled three times over NYC as she wouldn't retract, so we burned fuel for 45 minutes over the Atlantic and put down in JFK to swap aircraft. On a Lufthansa A346 from KJFK>EDDM with two medical emergencies going on simultaneously and on the return flight at 36,000 feet, my drunk girlfriend wanted to step outside for a "smoke"...Cigarette in mouth the FA's were not thrilled, nor was I... banghead

Haha...that's hilarious...something similar happened in one of my flights...A guy got drunk in my Cathay flight to LHR in 2002, and he wanted to take bath in the bathroom!!!
He removed his shirt and insisted to shower....lol there was no EK F class :P
The FA apparently made him sat on the last seat of the 747 which was almost half empty...
lol but the way he was behaving was very funny  drunk 

lgw340

Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Not really an emergency but I was on a BA 747-200 which rejected takeoff twice from Orlando because of one of the engines. It was amazing!
Chris Goodwin
Flight Dispatcher

WildcatYXU

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:49 pm

None whatsoever. Most of my flights are pretty boring. The only honourable mentions are:
Double go around in KSC (OK ATR42, 1997)
Very nice turbulence on the way from NGO to NRT (NH F50, 2004)
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

falstaff

Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:21 pm

I never have been in a real emergency, but I was once on a UA 727 flying DEN-STL and there was an issue that caused us to use A LOT of runway on landing. We also came in a lot faster than usual too.

My dad has been flying a lot since 1969, mostly work related, and he was on a Caravelle that over ran the runway at ORY back in 1970. That was only flight my dad was ever on that had any kind of trouble while the plane was moving under its own power.

I almost saw a baggage train at DTW hit an NW DC-9 two years ago, in the rain. The driver cut it close then swerved to miss the plane and tipped over the entire thing. It was a mess. The DC-9 was able to stop in time.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

cpd

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:22 am

Only an engine failure (not catastrophic, shut down before it could go boom or do any big damage), and some misc communication systems failures (I won't bore you with the details).

Nothing too major.

YYZflyer

Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 12):
KLM 737 which crash landed at BCN

When did that happen? I can't find anything on that crash...

I've never been anything close to an emergency. I've flown on a plane every year of my life(I'm 18) and nothing, I guess I'm lucky so far. But there's lots of time for it to happen, I'm sure something will happen eventually.

There is a member on here that was on AF358 in YYZ. I can't remember who it was right now....this is going to bug me until I remember.  crazy 
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

soon7x7

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:17 am

Quoting Jayeshrulz (Reply 18):

I love my woman but when the wine is free, along with a valium, she gets a certain way that makes me want to exit the aircraft...I kid you not....my face was squished up against the window as I couldn't wait for the flight to terminate!...This happend over Boston and we were headed to JFK...and customs was even more fun when she lost her passport...that day I learned that even a A346 is not big enough nor is JFK...Cheers  champagne 

lhr380

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:51 pm

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 23):
When did that happen? I can't find anything on that crash...

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20041128-1
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

falstaff

Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Quoting Cpd (Reply 22):
and some misc communication systems failures (I won't bore you with the details).

That happened to me once, but I didn't think of it as an emergency. I was flying TW STL-YYZ back in 1999 and just outside of STL the radio crapped out, or so they said. We returned to STL and left again about three hours late. I recall there being some confusion at the gate because the delayed flight to to YYZ was boarding just before the next scheduled flight and some people were at the wrong gates. Both YYZ flights left at almost the same time. I saw that happen at DTW recently too, but I don't know the reason for the delay of the earlier flight.

I was in 1B and the cockpit door was open for a bit. So I yelled out "Just jiggle the wire that'll fix it". The FO turned around and looked at me and gave me a dirty look. That was my very first trip in F, without my parents being there.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

staralliance38

Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:45 am

I flew from ORF-LGA on US Airways Express on my award ticket from ORF-LGA-CLT-STT (of course I have to go the opposite direction than my destination) and we had landing gear problems. We diverted to JFK and landed in brace positions.

Got some good reimbursement out of it  Smile
Roar, lion, roar

VonRichtofen

Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:56 am

The only odd thing I've experienced is going off the end of the runway in a 737.

I made a trip report not long after it happened
YYC-YOW-YYC On Westjet. Skid Off The Runway W/pics (by VonRichtofen Feb 25 2008 in Trip Reports)

jayeshrulz
Topic Author

Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 pm

Quoting Soon7x7 (Reply 24):
I love my woman but when the wine is free, along with a valium, she gets a certain way that makes me want to exit the aircraft...I kid you not....my face was squished up against the window as I couldn't wait for the flight to terminate!...This happend over Boston and we were headed to JFK...and customs was even more fun when she lost her passport...that day I learned that even a A346 is not big enough nor is JFK...Cheers champagne

wow....lol what did you do then...when she lost her passport?