gfly
Topic Author

Long Hauls To NA On Non-English Speaking Airlines

Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm

My impression from taking regular flights over the atlantic in economy, from eastern europe is that non-english speaking carriers tend to offer a better product and service, other things being equal (e.g. I am not talking about irregular ops, or comparing a full flight on one carrier to a light load on another). In particular I am not impressed with service by American carriers in the economy cabin.
I might add that I've never bought the cheapest available ticket and spend a lot of time looking at connection times, connecting airports (they vary in style and functionality, for example CDG to me wins style points but it's not that functional, FCO is chaotic but it doesn't bother me, etc.), departure times, but also aircraft serving the route, seating and inflight. I am sure there are many loyal and satisfied customers on english-speaking carriers, but am curious if other people have a similar bias, and if so is this true regarding english speaking carriers to other regions, or is it time for me to "go English" ?

02hilliert

RE: Long Hauls To NA On Non-English Speaking Airli

Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm

In my opinion, the best airline operating transatlantic is British Airways, you cannot go wrong with the service, and now that Terminal 5 @ LHR is working, there isn't a better place to connect.

I would always choose BA over the alternatives.
Next Up: Back to the US - Charlotte & Kansas City

HT

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Quoting gfly (Thread starter):
Non-English Speaking Airlines  

I understand that you mean "English as native language" ?!

So, what about the following airlines, even though some have only a limited number of airports served in the U.S. and Canada.

SK via CPH.
KL via AMS
LX via ZRH
LH via MUC (and to some less attractive: FRA)

-HT

And, oh, there is FI via KEF ...

[Edited 2010-02-19 09:11:32]
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

gfly
Topic Author

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Yes of course, I mean airlines registered in countries where English is not the main language, though I am booked on AC in one direction this time.

rcaq

Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Based on the understanding that carriers don't necessarily have to be from Europe, I'd like to add SQ via FRA here.
Definitely better than some US based carriers...

ANITIX87

Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Have you tried CO? I agree with you that American airlines are unimpressive, but I think CO has one of the best products in the sky for international flights in Coach. And I'm sure many will agree.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

Viscount724

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:06 am

Quoting 02hilliert (Reply 1):
In my opinion, the best airline operating transatlantic is British Airways, you cannot go wrong with the service, and now that Terminal 5 @ LHR is working, there isn't a better place to connect.

LHR is still too congested and delay-prone. I haved connected at T5 about 4 times and it's still far less convenient than major hubs liike ZRH, MUC and AMS which are my 3 preferred gateways. They're much more user-friendly and less crowded, and on-time performance is better. Almost every time I have arrived at LHR my flight has been put in a holding pattern for anything up to 30 minutes. That almost never happens at other major European hubs. Each time I connected at T5 I also found the lines at the security checks long and slow-moving. And at least half my flights involved a bus trip to or from the aircraft parked at a remote stand. In my experience, LHR also does a worse job than most other airports at coping with unusual weather conditions. Since it operates at close to maximum capacity all the time, it doesn't take much to cause major disruption and delays.

The other hassle at LHR is that, with the UK not being part of the Schengen area, if you connecti at LHR between two Schengen destinations, you have to clear security at LHR. You avoid that second security check when the connecting point is also within the Schengen area.

I only connect at LHR when the fare is significantly lower than via other hubs, and that's not a very common situation in my experience.

planeguy727

Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Austrian via VIE worked well for me...

and if you want to try various carriers AI from London, etc...
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

TheGov

Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:11 pm

This is a timely topic for me! It has been a long time since I have flown T/A and am considering a trip to MUC late it the year. I am trying to avoid the US carriers and book on an EU carrier. My preference has been for FI, but I cannot get their website to quote me a fare into MUC. From what I can tell, they either operate into MUC only on certain days or codeshare and thus the inability to get a fare quote. I don't have any reason to avoid LH, BA or the like, but I'll be checking this thread to see which airport/airline wins the opinion war. And FWIW, the fares themselves are decent - it's the taxes, etc. that drive the price up!
Always a pallbearer, never a corpse.

andaman

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:28 am

Quoting HT (Reply 2):
SK via CPH.
KL via AMS
LX via ZRH
LH via MUC (and to some less attractive: FRA)

-HT

And, oh, there is FI via KEF ...

And you can ad AY via HEL, talking about NE Europe. Especially WAW/LED-HEL-JFK has been rather popular tradiotionally.
Pros: easy transit at HEL and AY's new A333.

And SK serves via ARN also, to EWR and ORD.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

afterburner

Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 am

Quoting rcaq (Reply 4):
I'd like to add SQ via FRA here.

SQ is from Singapore, an English-speaking country.  

BlatantEcho

Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:18 am

In general, as long as you avoid a US flagged carrier, you are going to be treated well.

---
Because of non-stop choices, this will be the first year I'll have to choose a US carrier over any international one, and while looking forward to my travels, I am not looking forward to long haul on Delta or any of the others..... *yuck*