ewrflyer412
Topic Author

No Seat?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:37 am

Hi all - I'm new here, but I'm a long-time reader. I am heading down to Jacksonville in mid-March and booked with Continental out of PHL (usually fly out of EWR but times were very inconvenient). Anyway, I'm going through CLE (obviously) and when I went to choose my seats, I noticed that there are no seats available for the CLE-JAX segment. This is all after I booked the flights of course. I know that flights are overbooked all the time, but I didn't know airlines could sell tickets when there were no seats available. At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, is this a problem? If so, what can I do? Thanks in advance for any responses.

PlymSpotter

RE: No Seat?

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:44 am

I had this problem once, and the airline told me I could just stand instead, but I'm doubting US Airways would allow that. People may cancel or change flexable tickets, not show up, or miss their connection in CLE, so seats will probably become available. If not, then you may have to take the next available flight. I'm not sure, as it's in the US, but you may well get compensation if this is the case.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ewrflyer412
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:51 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 1):

Thanks for your response. Wow, I can't believe they told you to stand! That's hilarious. This is actually Continental, Not US Airways, but no, I don't think any airline would allow that. I'd think there's at least a few laws against that. I'm sure seats will become available at some point. I know people could cancel or miss a flight or something, but I'm just wondering how they could sell me a ticket and then bank on something like that happening? I can't exactly risk it because it's not a direct flight. I'd be stranded in Cleveland. I guess we'll just have to see as we get closer.  

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:58 am

Quoting ewrflyer412 (Reply 2):

Thanks for your response. Wow, I can't believe they told you to stand! That's hilarious. This is actually Continental, Not US Airways, but no, I don't think any airline would allow that. I'd think there's at least a few laws against that. I'm sure seats will become available at some point. I know people could cancel or miss a flight or something, but I'm just wondering how they could sell me a ticket and then bank on something like that happening? I can't exactly risk it because it's not a direct flight. I'd be stranded in Cleveland. I guess we'll just have to see as we get closer.

Also, sometimes the seats up front reserved for preferred (Elite) members are actually available but just blocked out from non-Elites. Also, some seats are always blocked and reserved for assignment at the gate. For example, DL blocks out the last 2 rows on every MD-88 on the online seat map but those seats are open even if the seat map shows full.

There's also the other routes that PlymSpotter points out in Reply 1 - misconnects, cancellations, ticket changes, etc.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

PlymSpotter

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 am

Quoting ewrflyer412 (Reply 2):
This is actually Continental, Not US Airways, but no, I don't think any airline would allow that. I'd think there's at least a few laws against that.

Ah my mistake - I need to brush up on my knowledge of US airlines. There are many laws against it everywhere I imagine, but some airlines and outstations in remote places play by their 'own' rules.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

ewrflyer412
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 3):
Also, sometimes the seats up front reserved for preferred (Elite) members are actually available but just blocked out from non-Elites. Also, some seats are always blocked and reserved for assignment at the gate. For example, DL blocks out the last 2 rows on every MD-88 on the online seat map but those seats are open even if the seat map shows full.

There's also the other routes that PlymSpotter points out in Reply 1 - misconnects, cancellations, ticket changes, etc.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. When you look at the seating, there's quite a few that are listed as "premium". I'm thinking that's for exactly what you said, One Pass elites. I don't fly weekly or anything but it just seems odd to me because as I said, this has never happened to me. I can't imagine they would sell a ticket banking on cancellations or changes, but I guess it's possible. Seems pretty inconvenient that I'll have to keep watching it, but oh well. I can always call.

Natesantiago88

Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Same thing happened to me this past tuesday with Delta from PBI to ATL. Booked the ticket and no assignments available. Got to PBI checked in and on the ticket it says seat request. Go through security. Go up to the desk at the gate and got my boarding pass with 36F on the 757. I was nervous at first because I'm thinking the flight is overbooked (which it was, 160 people for 155 seats) and wouldn't be able to get on the flight but things went good.

ewrflyer412
Topic Author

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Quoting NateSantiago88 (Reply 6):
Same thing happened to me this past tuesday with Delta from PBI to ATL. Booked the ticket and no assignments available. Got to PBI checked in and on the ticket it says seat request. Go through security. Go up to the desk at the gate and got my boarding pass with 36F on the 757. I was nervous at first because I'm thinking the flight is overbooked (which it was, 160 people for 155 seats) and wouldn't be able to get on the flight but things went good.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting to happen. As I said, there were a number of "premium seats" that it says are reserved for One Pass elite members, so I'm sure those will open up. Will be interested to see how they handle this, though. I certainly don't want to be heading to Cleveland without an assigned seat on the CLE-JAX segment.

[Edited 2010-02-26 15:24:27]

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:53 pm

Quoting ewrflyer412 (Reply 7):
Will be interested to see how they handle this, though. I certainly don't want to be heading to Cleveland without an assigned seat on the CLE-JAX segment.

While not "ideal", at least if you get bumped because of oversell, the airline has to cover your expenses (hotel, food vouchers) plus give you compensation. And before you are forced off the flight, they will offer voluntary bumps. The seats reserved for Elites will open up at check-in. I do believe you have to check-in at the kiosk at the airport to access those though - you can't access them at home when/if you check-in online (at least you can't on DL).
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

ewrflyer412
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:15 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 8):
While not "ideal", at least if you get bumped because of oversell, the airline has to cover your expenses (hotel, food vouchers) plus give you compensation. And before you are forced off the flight, they will offer voluntary bumps. The seats reserved for Elites will open up at check-in. I do believe you have to check-in at the kiosk at the airport to access those though - you can't access them at home when/if you check-in online (at least you can't on DL).

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. My home airport is EWR and that's a very common occurrence there. Just might not be so convenient on this particular trip as I'll have someone picking me up at JAX. I'll be checking in at the kiosk anyway because I have to check my bag, as all the flights are on ERJ's. Thanks for your input!  Smile

[Edited 2010-02-26 16:15:55]

deltairlines

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:19 am

Those CO preferred seats (as well as exit rows, which are limited to only CO Plats and Golds) open up during online check-in. Do OLCI at 24 hours out and you'll be able to grab one of those seats that were unavailable.

ewrflyer412
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 10):
Those CO preferred seats (as well as exit rows, which are limited to only CO Plats and Golds) open up during online check-in. Do OLCI at 24 hours out and you'll be able to grab one of those seats that were unavailable.

Will do. Thanks.  

exFATboy

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:07 am

Quoting ewrflyer412 (Reply 9):
I'll be checking in at the kiosk anyway because I have to check my bag, as all the flights are on ERJ's. Thanks for your input!

You can still check in on-line at the 24 hour mark to try to get a seat assignment, even if checking a bag. If your bag is normally carry-on size but you have to check it because you're on an ERJ, you should be able to take it through security and gate-check it.

ewrflyer412
Topic Author

Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:20 am

Quoting exFATboy (Reply 12):
You can still check in on-line at the 24 hour mark to try to get a seat assignment, even if checking a bag. If your bag is normally carry-on size but you have to check it because you're on an ERJ, you should be able to take it through security and gate-check it.

Yeah, that's what I think I'll do. No sense paying the $25.

sectflyer

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:23 pm

As an Elite on DL i do miss having row 5 available for seat selection at booking on the 319/320. That row only has a curtain separating it from first and you can really stretch your legs out. I actually think there is more room there than in first! But now it is blocked off for handicapped i think. SIGH!

planeguy727

Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:07 am

Let's not forget that some airlines limit advanced seat selection on deeply discounted fares. I'm not aware of CO doing this, but others do it.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

ewrflyer412
Topic Author

Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:07 am

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 15):
Let's not forget that some airlines limit advanced seat selection on deeply discounted fares. I'm not aware of CO doing this, but others do it.

I was able to pick my seat for the other three flights, just not on the CLE-JAX segment.