Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

platinumfoota
Topic Author

Beware United Airlines' Tricksy Check-in Kiosks

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:05 pm

I know how much we at A.net love to talk about UA, but I haven't seen any recent UA bashing, so here is one...
http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/0...check-in-kiosks-or-youll-pay-hu%2F

Quote:
If I had pressed the wrong buttons on a recent cross-county flight I took, I would have accidentally paid another $523.68. How did I know they were the wrong buttons? Simple: They were colored and placed to look like the correct buttons.
Never forget United 93

Brick

RE: Beware United Airlines' Tricksy Check-in Kiosk

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 pm

No, after you accidentally hit the upgrade button AND swipe your credit card would he have "accidentally" updated.

No CC swipe, no upgrade. There was plenty of opportunity to hit the Go Back button....  
A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man...

platinumfoota
Topic Author

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 pm

From the article:

Quote:
At the airport check-in kiosk, too, passengers are used to swiping their credit cards as a form of identification for picking up their tickets, only in this case, being prompted for that swipe could also end up putting them in the hole for more useless stuff.

I can see how one could make this mistake
Never forget United 93

airbazar

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:21 pm

I just recently used the kiosk to upgrade to Y+ at the gate, and didn't really notice an issue with it. I'm of the opinion that if you're not reading what you're clicking then it's your problem.

PGNCS

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:05 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 3):
I just recently used the kiosk to upgrade to Y+ at the gate, and didn't really notice an issue with it. I'm of the opinion that if you're not reading what you're clicking then it's your problem.

I too have used the UA kiosks for Y+ upgrades multiple times in the last six months, and have never encountered any problems or trickery.

ikramerica

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Quoting platinumfoota (Reply 2):
Quote:
At the airport check-in kiosk, too, passengers are used to swiping their credit cards as a form of identification for picking up their tickets, only in this case, being prompted for that swipe could also end up putting them in the hole for more useless stuff.

That credit card is not authorized when you swipe it. The name is merely read from it.

It's all a load of bull.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

deltairlines

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:16 pm

I've never had any problems with the UA kiosks - granted I use my UA card to swipe in and there's not a whole lot for them to upsell to me (unless they want me to buy e500s), but it would seem difficult to do.

UA OLCI is a different story with the upsells that they like to do there - even for elites. I can only imagine there's E+ upsells as well for non-elites during that time too.

dfambro

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 pm

I'm a loyal UA flyer but I find their aggressive marketing of the accelerator miles - both the pricing and the default button layout - to be borderline inappropriate. It's also just plain annoying.

ikramerica

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 6):
UA OLCI is a different story with the upsells that they like to do there - even for elites. I can only imagine there's E+ upsells as well for non-elites during that time too.

Yes, and I find them all worthwhile. Though I will be premier soon, as a non-premier I can see on one page the options and how much they might cost, segment by segment.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

BZNPilot

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 am

Not surprisingly, this article doesn't exactly present the most informed critique. Case in point:

"Ironically for an airline that still sends passengers on transoceanic flights without seatback TVs, United Airlines is mastering the dark side of the electronic age."

Really? Because last I checked, UA 777s on transoceanic flights have "seatback TVs." Granted, UA 744s do not, but then again the same goes for DL's 744s (ex NW), some DL763s, and more examples from other carriers that have yet to add this feature.

I'll admit that United's efforts to squeeze $$ out of customers for all sorts of extra "amenities" is annoying; however, it's not nearly as annoying as ignorant pundits writing biased commentaries.

rcair1

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:51 am

Quoting BZNPilot (Reply 9):
I'll admit that United's efforts to squeeze $$ out of customers for all sorts of extra "amenities" is annoying;.

And not materially different than other airlines...
rcair1

FLY2TUS

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 am

Why are airline kiosks so difficult for passengers? I simply fail to understand...
Ready. Set. Jet.

pilotboi

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:21 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 5):
That credit card is not authorized when you swipe it. The name is merely read from it.

It's all a load of bull.

I don't think you are reading that correctly. What he's saying is that passengers are used to being asked for a credit card for ID. So when he got to the screen that said to swipe his card, he thought it was for an ID, not the upgrade. If had gone and swiped it, he would have been charged for the upgrade. He's not trying to say that the airline is going to deliberately charge his card for no reason.

Anyways, I agree with this statement:

Quoting airbazar (Reply 3):
I'm of the opinion that if you're not reading what you're clicking then it's your problem.

This goes for everyone that has any problem on a computer, especially when it prompts you to action something. Just read what it says first and then you'll be able to figure out what to click. Don't just go clicking buttons because they are on the left, a special color, bigger then the other one, or any other reason other then the appropriate answer/option.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:18 am

I've used UAs self check-in kiosks in LAX, IAD, DTW and JFK plenty of times and I've found them to be the same as any self check-in kiosk I've used with airlines like NZ and DJ and it was stress free and REALLY easy!
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR