Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

United. Voted: The Best Airline 2020

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:22 am

I find that UA is perhaps the most discussed airline on airliners.net. Why, I don't know other than feelings are either those of distain or feelings of warmpth. The first seem more the case.
I fly over 150,000 to 200,000 actual miles on UA metal per year. Rarely in economy, mostly on international business or first. I also fly about another 75,000 miles a year on a mix of mostly BA, LH, LX, JJ, SQ, CO and Virgin.
For 15 years now I have come to LOVE and adore United. I admit some of the others I fly are much more luxury oriented, cooler, more advanced and naturally better. It actually angers me that UA could do it too, they have demonstrated on a selective basis, they have what it takes. I've seen them come close.The International First class lounge at HK is beautiful, exclusive and classy. The new UA First product is so amazing that when I buckle in and run my hand along the finishes I get goosebumps. The design is award winning and when reclined into a bed- I could sleep there forever. The other design touches ala Pentagram are right on top of grahic design and Hemospheres is the hands down best airline magazine. Nor can any of say they don't love CH9!
P.S. Is breakthrough on the transcon route. So when UA decides to do better, it can. Why not every touchpoint? I don't know. Money I would assume. But if UA can learn from CO management about customer service for all (not just elites) and the partnership can provide CO economy, but with a UA E+, UA intl business and First , then with 787's and A350's (and in my opinion 747-8 since UA is a 747 airline) we may have, by far the best North American carrier - and fair very well against the high-end international superstars. Sorry UA haters, you just haven't been Global Services in seat 1A on a 747 to Asia I assume!
UA can be the "it" brand with 10 years of continued impovements. Or not?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

drewwright

RE: United. Voted: The Best Airline 2020

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:47 am

I have to agree that UA IS getting better in its product. I flew FC the other day from ORD to TPA. I had warm nuts and 2 choices for a dinner. Both hot. Only complaint and maybe someone can identify with me on this one, was the seat. UA FC domestic seats always make me feel like I am sitting on a booster seat. It's nice to see UA getting a little better domestic dept. Any questions? Ask Ted....
DRW

drewwright

Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:52 am

Post script... The kiddie gate for the pilots in the cockpit is laughable.

dfambro

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:07 am

I like 'em and have been 1K for years. J and F on the re-furbed 747s is great. The PS birds are great. Y+ takes a lot of the pain out of economy. Domestic F, though, not so hot. Now if they could just put about 10 more inches of pitch in domestic first and give it a real recline. I've been defecting to Virgin America for red-eyes because F is so much better.

VC10er
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:28 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):

Is that scientific data? i only went by gut. I seems rarely is the "current discussions in the forum" seems to often include UA.

Kleiner

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:38 am

When your CEO says merging is an option, 10 more years doesn't look so good.

VC10er
Topic Author

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 am

Quoting Kleiner (Reply 6):

I would hope for 3 to 5 years!

BMI727

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:04 am

Quoting drewwright (Reply 2):
I have to agree that UA IS getting better in its product.

I haven't flown with UA since 2004, but turnarounds do happen in the aviation industry. AirTran and Continental both pulled it off, and I don't see why United can't be next.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

AirlineCritic

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:20 am

They look much better than they competitors. But only if you limit the comparison to legacy airlines (e.g., not B6) and north American airlines... otherwise they are at best mediocre. We are talking about the airline that a while ago considered for-fee box lunches in the business class!

Of course they have the resources to do better. The question is, do they want to? Do they believe they are on a market that needs to do better?

ADent

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:42 am

I gotta say those of us riding in the back (in Y-, not even Y+) domestically seem to have a different experience with UA.

calpsafltskeds

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:15 am

Maybe in 10 years UA might be the best, but that could be after the rumored merger with CO, who could be the surviving carrier, at least with management.
On Fortune Magazine's most admired list, CO was second, only to Singapore with a 6.52 rating, UA was dead last of US carriers with a 3.70, even below USAirways. They have some interesting products, but have a way to go and do those interesting products indicate inconsistency on UA's behalf?

klkla

Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 am

I was 1K for years and 2010 is the first time in a long time that I'm not even elite at any level and to be honest I don't miss them - good riddance!

The problem boils down to the fact that management and employees hate each other and the result is service that is medicre at best and horrendous at worse. As for the new hard product the first looks good but J seats are too narrow and you have to jump over other people to access the aisle. What I like about both of DLs new international J seats is that all customers get direct aisle access and wider seats and storage areas.

Never the less I wish United well even though I doubt I will ever waste another dime flying them and hope the service really does get better for those of you with the patience to wait.

ua777222

Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:53 am

I've always flown UA. Partly because I fly out of SFO and also because they serve all of the routes I travel to.

As well, I have a family member who is a 250K/yr+ flyer with them, about 50/50 economy and business, all domestic with the exception of personal travel which is almost always international.

So this brings about a predicament.

When I travel with this person, the experience with UA is fantastic. I'll take a recent trip to HNL as an example. Not a route with flagship products. Upon arrival to our check in, we go to the 1K line and hit the kiosk. There, we're informed that we were upgraded to First Class and that we could select our seats.

As we walked over to the RCC, while there wasn't much in the way of food or service, a kind greeting from the RCC clerk in my family members name was definitely nice to see.

Our 767 had seen its days though the seats were clean and we were served promptly.

Flight was great, FAs were wonderful in serving both of us throughout the flight and thanked the frequent flyer for her continued business on their last go around prior to decent.

On our return trip, all was the same. Upgraded the day before the flight. The 777 was worn but still cozy. Because of a dispute with an economy passenger who wanted to be upgraded into First, we were delayed for close to 45 minutes before they were able to kick him off the flight.

When the frequent flyer turned on her phone upon landing at SFO, there was a email letter of apology for the delay and some form of compensation (don't recall, I think it was a few upgrades or travel vouchers).

On the flip-side, I used some of her miles for summer trip with my sister to Europe. It was nice because my sister was going to London and her friend bailed on her. We changed her dates and her destination. Because it was booked through the frequent flyer's 1K, no change fees, only paid $1.50 in taxes.

However, when it came to seat selections, only the back of the bus was an option. While we all normally fly together, the frequent flyer would not be joining us for this trip.

I'm a good sport when it comes to flying but 12+ hours in standard Y was going to kill me. I paid the $200 to upgrade us both ways to Y+ (free when traveling with the 1K). Additionally, no RCC access for our 4 hour layover in LAX.

You see, UA is geared towards its frequent flyers and them alone (IMHO). While this may be good for business travelers, it leaves regular consumers out and IMHO, gives up market-share to the LCCs who offer comparable prices and better products.

It's a shame, but to be honest, I wouldn't fly with anyone else. T

he frequent flyer in the family travels often to ATL and even though Delta offers many direct flights a day, she will take the trip to ORD or DEN just to stay with UA. She was offered comparable status with DL in exchange for her 1K status a year or two ago and she turned that down as well.

Quoting ADent (Reply 10):
I gotta say those of us riding in the back (in Y-, not even Y+) domestically seem to have a different experience with UA.

Could not agree, non-status holders get the shaft end of the deal.
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

legacytravel

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 am

I travel only for fun and vacations. I love UA I have had only one encounter in 8 years of flying with them that was poor and it was one individual not an entire flight crew. My son when he was 5 was offered to sit in the Captains seat of a 777 at SFO and this was less than a year after 9/11. The Captain put his hat on my sons head and his eyes lit up. I have a picture of that somewhere and now he is 13 and wants to be an aerospace engineer so who knows maybe UA the fine Captain helped steer him that way.  

I have traveled past MKE to get to ORD just to fly UA and I live an hour north of MKE, as a matter of fact I will be flying UA again here next month LAS-MKE-ORD and am looking forward to channel 9 and another round of good service.

Mark in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

as739x

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:52 pm

United "MUST" improve customer service.

VC10, I completely agree that they need to learn some customer service for all from CO. I commuted for 2 years to Houston non-reving on CO. I judged them by their ppl in IAH cause I knew all the staff here at SFO. Non-rev or not, I virtually never had a CSA in IAH not say "hello" or "how are you" and always with a smile. For being the hub I found it much more pleasant then NW at MSP/DTW, AS at SEA and a number of other carriers I flew on.

But UA, just has not been pleasant at all. From IAD to SFO, I rarely come across an agent who will treat me in which I would called "pleasantly".

So in that regard I completly agree with you!
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

platinumfoota

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Quoting VC10er (Thread starter):
I fly over 150,000 to 200,000 actual miles on UA metal per year. Rarely in economy, mostly on international business or first.
Quoting ADent (Reply 10):

There you go! UA cares about its premium passengers much more than its economy or one-time flyers. I know, I use to work for UA, I remember asking management about non-premium passengers having to wait up to 30 minutes to check in a bag, their response "let them wait". So If you have the money, I agree it is The Best Airline.
Never forget United 93

AirCalSNA

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:56 pm

After lurking here for many years, I am finally forced to join to respond on this subject, about which I feel passionately.

I loathe United Airlines. Even though they have a hub here in SFO, I avoid them like the plague. My hatred of United really developed in the summer of 2000 when my daughter and I were bumped from a flight despite following all of the rules about showing up etc. The gate agent could not have been more rude, pointing me to a pay phone to call the "800 number" for help. On the return flight, the pilot stood around outside of the gate, purposefully delaying our departure as part of a work slowdown. (We left at the last possible time before SNA's curfew.)

On another occasion, when United still had city ticket offices, I was trying to arrange for my daughter to travel as an unaccompanied minor. The agent at the desk was barely interested in helping me, opening reviewing an "employee seniority" list (with names crossed off of it!) while I explained my concerns. (At least the flight was okay.)

I decided to give United another try last January and ... of course ... they lost my luggage when I changed planes at ORD. The seat on the A319 was horribly cramped, and the F'As with whom I chatted in the galley, were quite open (without my even prompting them) about how much THEY hate United and what a lousy airline it is.

Terrible phone customer service ... When you call you are forced to use their voice-recognition system to plan your flight and then, if you want to speak with a human being, your call is routed outside of the United States.

Thank goodness my return flight on that January trip was on Southwest. Ironically, I changed planes in MDW and the pilot specifically held the plane so that the baggage of connecting passengers would be transferred over to four flight back to SFO. The difference between Southwest's and United's economy seats, moreover, is very noticeable.

If it had been up to me, United would have been liquidated, and their passengers would now be patronizing more competent, customer-oriented airlines.

jetboy2

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:02 pm

My absolute biggest problem with United is its lack of consistency. Sometimes I get great FAs and a refurbished plane and others I get mediocre (at best) FAs with a tired looking plane on which everything seems to be, in one way or another, broken. I would certainly consider them more often if they could give me a consistent and predictable experience. Having said that, I do however think that they have made good progress but until they get that morale and those planes fixed up, I'd rather fly someone else.

rjpieces

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:22 pm

I like United a lot. I've read a lot on A.net about frayed employee-management relations, but I've never experienced it. All of my United F/As in the past year have been quite nice. They do have some catching up to do though--Their domestic fleet will be way behind American/Continental/Delta's in a few years in terms of IFE/Wifi. Internationally they are looking great though--A350s and B787s on the way, refurbished F&J Cabins on the 767 and 747, AVOD coming in Y on the 777.

I think that United will be a world-class airline, again, in a few years.

One major complaint I have is about some of their terminal facilities. In BOS and parts of LAX, for example, it is straight out of the 1980s. IAD Concourse C/D is pathetic really. United will be in much better shape if/when it and MWAA build a new concourse at IAD.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

seabosdca

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:30 pm

Quoting platinumfoota (Reply 16):
UA cares about its premium passengers much more than its economy or one-time flyers.

A recent experience of mine supports this thesis strongly...

I (regular Joe Mileage Plus member) was scheduled to fly IAD-SFO-IAD around Christmas, on a regular nonrefundable economy ticket. I purchased an E+ upgrade for the return on a 752, but figured I wouldn't bother for the outbound leg on a 772. Neither united.com nor a phone representative would assign me a seat in advance for the outbound, despite showing open seats (the system just generated an error), but my reservation was confirmed.

My flight was leaving about 3 days after the "Snowpocalypse" shut down IAD for two days. I showed up to the airport nearly three hours before the flight and promptly checked in, on which occasion I got a boarding pass with no seat assignment. I proceeded to the gate and, once they began working my flight, discovered I was #29 of 30 on the list to get an assignment.

Watching the people around the gate desk, it became clear to me that elites who had been bumped from other flights were being accommodated ahead of me, even though I had a confirmed reservation. When it looked like I wasn't going to board, I asked the gate agent when the next flight was. I was told the next opening would be in two days, despite the fact that there are 8 flights per day between the two hubs, two on widebodies.    That would defeat the purpose of my trip.

I understand it was an operationally difficult couple of days and that elites get priority to some extent. But I don't think it's acceptable to bump a confirmed passenger for a normally operating flight, who shows up early and does everything right, onto a flight two days later just to help elites on standby.

(I did ultimately make it -- I ended up as the very last person let on when several checked-in passengers failed to show.)

Camohe

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:44 pm

I have never really enjoyed flying UA, however I decided to give them another go recently SYD-SFO-JFK rtn in J because of their new business class seats and of course because they were cheap.

The SYD-SFO flight was cancelled with no notice being given to pax (even though the plane never left SFO so they had 16+ hours to contact pax). Fortunately I checked online to see whether it was running on time so was able to call UA and get myself re-booked on QF to LAX instead. This meant I had to change my onward connections but at least I got a cheap seat in J on a QF A380. Most pax just arrived at SYD airport to find signs at check-in saying "Flight Cancelled".

JFK-SFO was quite good on P.S. The portable IFE is a nice touch. The service was nothing special but the food was ok (although I find the cookies and milk a rather strange and childish snack to offer in J). The lounges at JFK and SFO are very basic and only being offered two free drink vouchers is pretty cheap.

The big disappointment was the SFO-SYD flight. The service was slack (not even a bottle of water offered on a 14 hr night flight), the food was awful, and the new seats were a big let-down (narrow, cramped, and they gave me a sore back). QF (A380 and B744), VA, and NZ all have much better seats IMO. On a positive note, the landing at SYD was the smoothest I have ever experienced on any aircraft.

yeogeo

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:52 pm

Quoting rjpieces (Reply 19):
One major complaint I have is about some of their terminal facilities. In BOS and parts of LAX, for example, it is straight out of the 1980s.

Ha! Try the UA E&F gates in Terminal 2 at ORD. Out of the '70's, they are!

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 20):
But I don't think it's acceptable to bump a confirmed passenger for a normally operating flight...

But... you weren't bumped.

yeo

seabosdca

Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:53 pm

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 22):
But... you weren't bumped.

I was 30 seconds and one incompetent passenger away from being bumped, and one other person (#30 of 30) in my situation actually was. I have no idea what compensation she received, but compensation would not have redressed the problem for me anyway...

[Edited 2010-03-08 15:54:20]

birdbrainz

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:21 am

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 22):
Ha! Try the UA E&F gates in Terminal 2 at ORD. Out of the '70's, they are

Couldn't agree more. I'm a fan of United, but the E & F gates are horrible.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

yeogeo

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 23):
I was 30 seconds and one incompetent passenger away from being bumped, and one other person (#30 of 30) in my situation actually was. I have no idea what compensation she received, but compensation would not have redressed the problem for me anyway...

Well, no offense, but I gotta say checking into a potentially full flight less than three hours before the flight and doing that knowing that you haven’t a seat assignment is not being an aggressive enough flyer in my book.

If you’re a basic member like me (although I’m at 16 segments already so will likely become Premiere for the first time this year, whoohoo!), AND if your likely to be swimming with a lot of elites after a big disruption, I would check in online as soon as you can to the 24hrs in advance or purchase the Y+ just to be safe.

Prompt checking-in has saved me a hassle more than once, although I can’t guarantee you wouldn’t have almost been bumped in the example you gave  

It’s a dog eat dog world out there, don’t be a passive flyer.

yeo

ytib

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:55 am

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 25):
Well, no offense, but I gotta say checking into a potentially full flight less than three hours before the flight and doing that knowing that you haven’t a seat assignment is not being an aggressive enough flyer in my book.

If you’re a basic member like me (although I’m at 16 segments already so will likely become Premiere for the first time this year, whoohoo!), AND if your likely to be swimming with a lot of elites after a big disruption, I would check in online as soon as you can to the 24hrs in advance or purchase the Y+ just to be safe.

Prompt checking-in has saved me a hassle more than once, although I can’t guarantee you wouldn’t have almost been bumped in the example you gave

It’s a dog eat dog world out there, don’t be a passive flyer

There should be NO need for the person to check in 24 hours ahead of time. There are many flyers on UA who will never fly on WN because they don't feel you should have to play the 24 hour rule.

The issue is how UA processes instances like this. The processing is done by elite status, fare basis, and then check in time. So all of the Global Services members clear first, then 1k, and so on. This penalizes a full fare passenger who is just a general member or non-member of Mileage Plus.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

LDIkaros

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:03 am

UA can be the "it" brand with 10 years of continued impovements. Or not?

UA has the potential to become a world-class airline, with its great network and participation in * alliance. However, what UA needs is a strong long-term vision from its management. And that includes not just new routes and investments in new aircraft or cabin refurbishments but also investments in its employees to boost their morale.

I doubt, though, that this will happen in the foreseeable future, and UA will just languish on as an also-run airline.

Sorry UA haters, you just haven't been Global Services in seat 1A on a 747 to Asia I assume!

Well, sorry, but if that what it takes to get great service on UA then I'll pass. There are way better airlines out there.

A great airline is one that takes care of all its passengers, even the ones seated in the back of the bus. And that's why I stopped flying UA a few years ago after having been a more or less loyal customer since the early 90s. I had some great flights with UA but my last few flights were horrible. And ii UA doesn't care why would I give them my money?

I hope UA can turn around. I just don't see it happen soon.

seabosdca

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:51 am

Quoting ytib (Reply 26):
The issue is how UA processes instances like this. The processing is done by elite status, fare basis, and then check in time. So all of the Global Services members clear first, then 1k, and so on. This penalizes a full fare passenger who is just a general member or non-member of Mileage Plus.

To be clear, I would have had no problem with being assigned a seat after a confirmed elite. My beef was that standby elites were being given priority over me, a confirmed passenger checked in with lots of time to spare and physically present in the gate area.

[Edited 2010-03-08 17:53:15]

VC10er
Topic Author

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 12):

I agree. Any pax in any class should be treated as a king. Once an airline takes you on board they are commited to the best service in that class. My only point is as GS in First I found UA nothing but exceptional. That doesn't mean if your're all the way in the back, it should be the best of coach! Period.

adambrau

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:32 am

I have been a 1K flyer for about 10 years now and I make a point to requalify every year for the status. Living in NY they are not the easiest schedulewise, it's more the way I get taken care of in irregular operations that has kept me loyal. I really like the int'l fleet, the 747/777/767's are all great planes to fly, and something about the crew really gives a sense of true professionalism and experience. I really do prefer the American crews to the robotic perfectionism of the Asian carriers, of course I admit there are a few bad apples and inconsistency is commonplace. After being through a rather rough patch, there is some anecdotal evidence that things are getting better and as per the OP's point, anything is possible and they could rise to the top again. I think that, as other posters have mentioned, there needs to be an improvement in the management and line employees relationship, and I do think UA needs to treat treat the general Mileage Plus fliers better, and I think the Indian Call Center needs to go - the few times I end up on a call there it really is an abomination. My sense, barring the unforseen, is that UA is going to start making money this year and that will continue the rebound for this once (and sometimes still) great carrier.
JFK Friendly

VC10er
Topic Author

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:48 am

Once UA completes the retrofit on the 777, gets new 787 & A350 and CO ethos and management....it will be the best. Including a tough filet and smothered with United Sauce TM.

Galvan316

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 am

I fly over 150,000 to 200,000 actual miles on UA metal per year. Rarely in economy, mostly on international business or first. I also fly about another 75,000 miles a year on a mix of mostly BA, LH, LX, JJ, SQ, CO and Virgin.
For 15 years now I have come to LOVE and adore United. I admit some of the others I fly are much more luxury oriented, cooler, more advanced and naturally better.

Not to offend anyone, but I get the impression that the whole point of this article was for the author of the thread to come out and brag about his or her flying status.

At least that is the impression I received after I read it.
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

ua777222

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:30 am

Quoting Galvan316 (Reply 32):
Not to offend anyone, but I get the impression that the whole point of this article was for the author of the thread to come out and brag about his or her flying status.

At least that is the impression I received after I read it.

I disagree.

I think their view of UA is spot on. Again, their orientation is towards their frequent fliers. Anyone try to get an upgrade on a Monday morning SFO-ORD/IAD/DEN? "We'd like to welcome aboard our 8 Global Services and 32 1K members."

Anything less than 1K is truly no status at all with UA. Not even Premier Exec IMHO.

Something is working...
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

FilAmAirlines

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:32 am

I have flown UA (and really, if you fly out of MBS UA and DL [Formerly NW] was your only choices). I avoided NW/DL because of the lack of IFE on domestic flights (I am young and wanted that kind of thing especially on Midwest-California flights). My airport, like airports in areas that NW was the "unofficial airline" of that area (or in Michigan and Minnesota unofficial airline of those states) One example is that I was travelling with my mother back to MBS. The gate agent was nice enough to give my mother and myself Y+ at no charge because he understood our situation (less than 40-45 minute layover to connect from Terminal 1 to Concourse E/F and my mother had something going on with her legs). I never had a negative encounter with UA until I flew LAX-ORD in December. The seatbelt sign was turned off and wanted to go the lavatory but it was locked. A flight attendant was rudely commenting the seat belt sign was STILL on. (Not a big deal but the F/A's tone of voice was inexcusable) I agree that UA always wants to spend their money on luring F, J, and top frequent flying pax. Although UA doesn't want to improve services for the average or infrequent traveller, which doesn't bring many customers back on their flights. Their Y+ also on longer flights should be more than only extra legroom.
I don't always fly, but when I do, it's on the friendly skies of United or Delta's care that gets me there.

Galvan316

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:33 am

"I disagree.

I think their view of UA is spot on. Again, their orientation is towards their frequent fliers. Anyone try to get an upgrade on a Monday morning SFO-ORD/IAD/DEN? "We'd like to welcome aboard our 8 Global Services and 32 1K members."

Anything less than 1K is truly no status at all with UA. Not even Premier Exec IMHO.

Something is working..."

Then the author should have posted that originally, instead of chest pounding the fact that they are in an elite status.

[Edited 2010-03-08 19:42:22]
ORD and MDW is where youll find Me!

VC10er
Topic Author

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:52 am

Um, that thread startered was by me. I am not pounding my cest over themiles I've flown kor my status. I am sure that many others here far surpass me. My reason to post was to open a very controversal topic that would have garnered a lot of debet

yeogeo

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:54 am

Quoting ytib (Reply 26):
There should be NO need for the person to check in 24 hours ahead of time.

Is checking in online so onerous? And futhermore, I believe it is the "cattle car" boarding that is the turnoff for some flyers, not necessarily the check-in online at Southwest.

Quoting ytib (Reply 26):
The processing is done by elite status, fare basis, and then check in time. So all of the Global Services members clear first, then 1k, and so on. This penalizes a full fare passenger who is just a general member or non-member of Mileage Plus.

I don't follow. A "full fare" passenger, i.e. one who has purchased a refundable ticket in coach, would actually be pretty high up in the food chain and therefore he would not be "penalized", as you say, in such a tight boarding situation.

As far as non-members, well yeah, they'll take their lumps in such a situation. As Mariner likes to say, "I shrug".

yeo

Zone1

Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 20):
Watching the people around the gate desk, it became clear to me that elites who had been bumped from other flights were being accommodated ahead of me, even though I had a confirmed reservation.

UA's policy is that stand-by passengers are not accommodated before confirmed passengers, no matter what level of UA status. However, if they were involuntarily denied boarding on an earlier flight then, yes, these people are accommodated before confirmed passengers. If you were IDB'd then you would have gotten 200% the cost of that segment, up to $800. So either you mis-interpreted what was happening at the gate, the gate agent knew you would be able to get on the flight, or the gate agent was working outside of protocol. Given that 29 other people were on the confirmed list, I doubt that the agents were clearing stand by passengers. There is a big difference between the "Confirmed Awaiting Seat" list and the "Stand by" list. So of the people who got seats before you, you could tell which ones were on the stand by list and which of the 28 were on the confirmed list?
/// U N I T E D

trojanclipper

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:06 am

I have flown UA for many years. I am a 1K, worked for UA and my father was a UA 747 captain after Pac Day. My biggest issue with UA and why I generally fly LH instead of UA on my frequent trips to FRA is merely consistency. I've flown in their new first and business products quite often as well as their P.S. service and find them all great. To me, they have the opportunity if they can improve their consistency from the very first customer contact right through the baggage claim area. LH has always taken my jacket and offered a predeparture beverage and while when UA shines, it can beat a lot of carrier's service, they often are seldom more than mediocre so I welcome the opportunity for their service to match their schedules, which I really do love best out of SFO. I wish them well and will continue to fly them as they work towards their lofty goals!!!

P.S. An insider told me recently that UA is no longer interested in the 747 and will retire them as they take deliver of the next generation orders. I wish they would have moved towards the 747-8, but it doesn't appear to be so.

ualcsr

Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:17 am

I find that UA is perhaps the most discussed airline on airliners.net

Sorry, that award goes to Delta, hands down.

Quoting CALPSAFltSkeds (Reply 10):
On Fortune Magazine's most admired list, CO was second, only to Singapore with a 6.52 rating, UA was dead last of US carriers with a 3.70, even below USAirways

And just what is "most admired", what is that supposed to mean? I choose my airline because of convenience, price and loyalty. I live in Miami and therefore fly AA quite a bit. Do I "admire" AA more than other airline that flies out of here? Probably not, but they get me where I want to go and have tons of flights from here so they get my loyalty and business even if they've not been perfect 100% of the time. I might "highly admire" CO for having a solid business strategy and good management; will I fly them regularly........no.

I am a former UA employee and love United. Nothwithstanding, as has been stated ad nauseum on these boards, flying in the US is so very subjective. For example, I understand all the hoopla around JetBlue...inflight tv, good snacks, etc., yet the 4 times I've flown them have all been pretty much a mess (2 delayed flights, no explanation and of course, no protection, both of which caused me to miss connecting international non-rev flight from IAD and NYC; one flight where the inflight tv died for most of the trip, one flight where non-revs from other airlines got aisle seats while I, a paying customer, got a middle back seat despite my continued request for an aisle). Do I hate, loathe and despite JetBlue? No, I just had bad experiences on them that I could've had on any other US airline while thousands of other people have had good ones.

flyguy89

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:40 am

It actually angers me that UA could do it too, they have demonstrated on a selective basis, they have what it takes.

I know what you mean and could not agree more. United will always have a special place in my heart, I grew up at the time they were at their zenith, being the 'largest airline in the free world', United was THE airline in the 90's and it saddens me to see what they are today. A shoddy, inconsistent product that's all over the place, clueless management, low moral...etc. I really hope they are able to get their act together and wish them all the best.

flyfitch

Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:29 am

I totally agree! United is my airline of choice. People call me crazy when I say this, especially living in Denver, but I always choose United over Frontier. I have picked United when they are $50 more than Frontier. I have consistently received great customer service on UA and have had some pretty bad experiences on F9. I know that many people have had the opposite, but this is what has happened to me, and thats why I always choose United.

UA's product is getting so much better, and that is coming from a guy who flys Y the majority of the time. I also think we have to look at what makes United great, things like economy plus, refurbished cabins, mileage accrual and redemption on the Star Alliance network, a big international network. I really hope they make a huge comeback and be a lot of people's preferred airline like they used to be.

AirCalSNA

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:11 am

Seems like United really overemphasizes the wholel "awards" thing.

While waiting for a recent WN flight back from Philadelphia I was seated near a United gate where they must have announced at least six different "priorities" of passengers being permitted to board. It sounded, frankly, odd to me, and insulting to the "leftovers" who were finally permitted to get on.

seabosdca

Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Quoting Zone1 (Reply 38):
So of the people who got seats before you, you could tell which ones were on the stand by list and which of the 28 were on the confirmed list?

Two things happened:

1) The first two passengers on the standby list were accommodated ahead of me. I don't know who was operating outside of protocol, and I didn't see those two people, so I didn't know what happened. I assumed they must have been Global Services and stuck for a couple of days.
2) A number of the people ahead of me on the confirmed list were elites who had been scheduled on earlier flights cancelled due to weather.

The point is still that UA decided to overbook to an extreme degree, putting regular flyers who showed up and checked in on time at high risk of being bumped, in order to accommodate elites whose flights were canceled. It's their airline and they can do that if they want to, but the behavior proves the point that United treats elites very well and really doesn't care about the welfare of anyone else.

I wouldn't have given a rip about getting what would have probably been $600 or so in compensation, especially if I had in fact not been able to get another flight for two days. (If they had been willing to fit me in on the next flight, obviously I would have been fine with it, but they were indicating pretty firmly that an evening flight two days later was our next option.)

[Edited 2010-03-09 04:56:22]

AirNiugini

Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:53 pm

United has the potential to be in the top 10. Its got a vast international network, its current fleet is in pretty good shape and they have some shiny new aircraft on order, its part of a great alliance and its new first and business class product really looks world class. I can wait to see what the new economy, and economy plus product will be like. If UA continues on its current track, and is financially viable in future times, I trust the United Airlines product will be regarded as almost, if not the.... best in the world.

Its time to fly!

rjpieces

Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 41):
United was THE airline in the 90's

Could you explain what you mean by this? What was United's situation in the 90s that made it so great ( I was a teenager not following these things as closely then)?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"