Yflyer
Topic Author

How Many Airports Lack Jet Bridges?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:40 pm

I was just looking at the thread about the new terminal plans for LGB. There's a lot of discussion there about how the new terminal lacks jet bridges. I for one like the fact that it doesn't have them; there's something fun about walking up to your plane at ground level and boarding via stairs. This got me wondering how many airports out there, like LGB, have no jet bridges at all.

I don't think I've ever been to an airport that didn't have any jet bridges at all. Terminals or concourses without them, yes, but even the smallest airports I've flown from, like LSE and MLB, have had at least some Jetways. I am not nearly as well traveled as many of the people here, though so there are probably more Jetway-free airports than I realize. Off the top of my head I know LGB and BUR don't have them. Nor do some Hawaiian airports, though I'd have to look it up to say which ones. I don't believe SBA has them, either. How many others? I'd guess many of the airports Ryanair serves don't have them.

And as a related side question, what are the busiest airports to not use jet bridges? I'd guess maybe BUR in the US, but I'm wondering is maybe a major Ryanair base like STN might surpass it. But I don't know if STN completely lacks jet bridges or not.

dalca

RE: How Many Airports Lack Jet Bridges?

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:49 pm

DOH is the only "pretty" busy one I can think of that has no jet bridges. This will be over though once the new airport opens.

MCT also comes to mind but that is far less busy I think.

I bet I am missing out on some other.
Zanair flight, please hold on finals as we have to clear rhino's off the runway. Next flight KUL-FRA-AMS Flown in A319,A

peteinmiami

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:53 pm

Havana "Jose Marti International"(MUHA) out of the 3 terminals the airport has only Terminal 3 (International Terminal) has jet bridges ( 8 gates)

s4popo

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 pm

SKP doesn't have any.

cobra27

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:06 pm

We got them 3 years back at LJLJ

Viscount724

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Thread starter):
But I don't know if STN completely lacks jet bridges or not.

STN has roughly 20 gates with bridges based on the current Google Maps photo.

LoneStarMike

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 pm

I don't think BUR has any jet bridges.

edited - never mind I didn't see BUR mentioned in the first post.

LoneStarMike

[Edited 2010-04-30 14:12:05]

beeweel15

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 pm

I for one like the fact that it doesn't have them; there's something fun about walking up to your plane at ground level and boarding via stairs.

Well at JFK terminal 4 although you cant walk a bus will take you to the plane and you walk up the stairs

PlymSpotter

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:12 pm

There are only two airbridges in the Ukraine and just 50-100 in the whole of Russia.

Many countries have none at all.

In the UK these busy airports don't have any:

ABZ
BLK
BOH
BRS
DSA
EMA
EXT
LCY
LPL
MME
PIK

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

BMI727

Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:14 pm

I for one like the fact that it doesn't have them;

In Southern California it will rarely be a problem.

This got me wondering how many airports out there, like LGB, have no jet bridges at all.

LCY which is part of why that is one of my favorite airports.

Nor do some Hawaiian airports

I think that KOA and ITO don't but OGG does.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

B6JFKH81

Sat May 01, 2010 4:34 pm

I know BDA also does not have 'em. I am sure there are many, MANY airports with regularly scheduled service that do not have jetways.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

falstaff

Sat May 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 10):
MANY airports with regularly scheduled service that do not have jetways.

PAH and EVV come to mind. When I was a kid SGF didn't have any, maybe they still don't. I remember walking the stairs that pulled out of the Ozark DC-9s.
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

planeguy727

Sat May 01, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't know about today, but when I lived in ASP there were none.

And I have fond memories of many airports visited without them (UIO was fun).
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

SurfandSnow

Sat May 01, 2010 6:06 pm

the new terminal plans for LGB. There's a lot of discussion there about how the new terminal lacks jet bridges. I for one like the fact that it doesn't have them; there's something fun about walking up to your plane at ground level and boarding via stairs.

Virtually all of us on here would agree that it is much better to go up the stairs than down a boring old jet bridge anyday!  
This got me wondering how many airports out there, like LGB, have no jet bridges at all.

Careful, out of all airports in the world today, *very* few have jet bridges. However, virtually all major international airports rely on jet bridges for prestige and also security purposes (nobody can easily dash away across the airfield). Most airports (even the really small ones) in the developed world now have jetbridges, but they remain incredibly rare in the third world.

I don't think I've ever been to an airport that didn't have any jet bridges at all.

There are very few airports in the U.S. that don't have them today. The only ones I have been to are KOA (see profile - it is my favorite airport in the world), BUR, LGB, and EGE.

Off the top of my head I know LGB and BUR don't have them. Nor do some Hawaiian airports, though I'd have to look it up to say which ones. I don't believe SBA has them, either.

All three airports you mentioned don't have them, but only because they have purposely preserved historic terminals (LGB, SBA) or are actually forbidden by NIMBY's to build any new terminal that would replace the relatively small, aging facility in place (BUR). Despite the nice weather, all other major California airports (SJC, SNA, ONT, PSP, etc.) now have them.

I'd guess many of the airports Ryanair serves don't have them.

Ryanair generally serves incredibly small, barebones airports so this would not be surprising. It generally refuses to use jet bridges, with the notable exception of MAD and possibly a few others..

what are the busiest airports to not use jet bridges?

Well, I'd say DOH is probably by far the busiest airport right now to have NO jet bridges at all, but it will soon have a new state of the art airport. Last I heard JED did not have them, though that may have since changed and I doubt it is nearly as busy as DOH. MCT also does not have them, though it is much smaller. The soon to close ALY didn't have them either. However, many times when flying out of airports that do have jet bridges you do indeed find yourself taking a bus and then the stairs. All the times I have flown in/out of LIS (including on TAP's EWR flights) and most of the times I flew in and out of BAH we did not use them, for example. This happens at CDG, JFK, even LAX as well...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

AmricanShamrok

Sun May 02, 2010 3:13 pm

In Ireland, all the following airports which handle scheduled passenger flights do not have airbridges:

CFN - Donegal Airport
GWY - Galway Airport
IIA - Aerphort Inis Meáin (Inishmaan Aerodrome)
INQ - Aerphort Inis Oírr (Inisheer Aerodrome)
IOR - Aerphort Inis Mór (Inishmore Aerodrome)
KIR - Kerry Airport
NNR - Aerphort na Minna (Connemara Regional Airport)
NOC - Ireland West Airport Knock
SXL - Sligo Airport
WAT - Waterford Airport

The following airports do have and operate airbridges:

DUB - Dublin Airport (9 airbridges)
ORK - Cork Airport (1 airbridge)
SNN - Shannon Airport (6 airbridges)

In Ireland, the busiest airport not to use airbridges is Ireland West Airport Knock (NOC), which carried 630,000 passengers in 2008.

71Zulu

Sun May 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Last time I flew to Yuma, AZ (KNYL) they did not have any, still don't think they do.

Natesantiago88

Sun May 02, 2010 7:17 pm

No jet bridges down at PUJ and plus the terminal is like an outdoor tree house, very nice.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun May 02, 2010 8:09 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 9):
I think that KOA and ITO don't but OGG does.

Hilo (ITO) does indeed have jet-bridges. I remember boarding via a jetbridge in 2005 at ITO.

MCN didn't have any jet bridges. I don't think Valdosta, GA or Albany, GA have any jetbridges, unless they've built new terminals since the last time I drove by.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

YYZRWY23

Sun May 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Quoting natesantiago88 (Reply 16):
No jet bridges down at PUJ and plus the terminal is like an outdoor tree house, very nice.

I really liked PUJ. Wifi and the planes jsut steps away. It truly was 'paradise'. Very open feeling.

ZIH doesn't ahve any jet bridges, which was awesome when boarding/de-boardgin from those TS A310 and A330's.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

vhqpa

Mon May 03, 2010 12:32 pm

Quoting planeguy727 (Reply 12):
I don't know about today, but when I lived in ASP there were none.

No bridges in ASP or most other smaller Australian airports for that matter. Only DRW, CNS, TSV, BNE, SYD, CBR, MEL, ADL and PER have bridges.

OOL is quite large by Australian standards but has no bridges and until recently neither did ADL domestic.

Vhq.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

RAFVC10

Mon May 03, 2010 1:57 pm

Girona, one of the bases of Ryanair, near from Barcelona, has not any air bridge.

Regards,

Gerard
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

babybus

Mon May 03, 2010 4:28 pm

Can we add JED to that.

Last time I was there it had no airbridges, only those people mover trucks from the 1960s.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

PlymSpotter

Mon May 03, 2010 4:49 pm

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 20):
Girona, one of the bases of Ryanair, near from Barcelona, has not any air bridge.

Very interesting Gerard, have they ever had any? I should know, I've been there several times..!

The reason I ask is that a lot of fuss was made in Menorca about MAH getting airbridges, because 'it was the only AENA airport not to have them'. I'm fairly sure that GRO is owned by AENA also though.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DesertAir

Wed May 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Hermosillo in México does not have jet bridges.

signol

Wed May 05, 2010 11:20 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 8):
Many countries have none at all.

Indeed, there are none in Malta (there is only one airport there though, MLA)

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 8):
In the UK these busy airports don't have any:

NWI doesn't have any either.

MPM - Maputo, Mozambique doesn't have any either.

DUR, the old Durban International, had none, but the airport was replaced last week with the new King Shaka International Airport, which has many...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

MCO2BRS

Mon May 10, 2010 2:32 am

BRS doesn't have jet bridges, the airport handled 687k+ pax 02/09-02/10. Jet bridges are part of the master plan of the airport but thats not going to happen for quite a while.

While for us enthusiasts, boarding through stairs is perfectly acceptable (if not preferred), the other 99% of passengers would probably be less so inclined. Having said that, I wouldn't be particularly happy getting off one of the transatlantic flights at BRS early in the morning when its freezing cold, windy and pouring with rain! I feel bad for the cabin crew, in that instance!

Cheers

MCO-2-BRS

cpd

Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 am

Quoting vhqpa (Reply 19):
OOL is quite large by Australian standards but has no bridges and until recently neither did ADL domestic.

However, even CBR jet-bridges are sometimes not used, and you end up walking out across the tarmac to a remote stand (in this case for a B767-300).

TruemanQLD

Mon May 10, 2010 7:51 am

Quoting vhqpa (Reply 19):

However, OOL has publicly stated that they will not install jet-bridges for a atleast a few more years as this would increase costs for carriers. However, I would think that it would be a good idea for the International Flights atleast

andz

Mon May 10, 2010 4:14 pm

There are only 3 airports in this country that have air bridges, and two of these were only opened within the last 6 months.

JNB
CPT
New DUR
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

CairnterriAIR

Mon May 10, 2010 9:54 pm

No jet bridges at STT. If they ever added them, it would take away the charm of the open air island feel to the place in my opinion.