ElpinDAB
Topic Author

Your Longest Time To Deplane

Wed May 26, 2010 3:43 am

I have been midway back in 757's many times, but the first time I was in one of the back rows of a 753, I was curious to see how long it would take for me to be the last person off the plane, starting the time when the main cabin door opened.
I timed just over 15 minutes. (Good thing I didn't have a tight connection, my ride from the airport was running late, and there were some interesting airplane movements on the ramp.)
A few months later, I was near the back again, so I timed the process again, being among the last 10 or so passengers off, and it took about 15 minutes again.

On all my widebody flights, including being near the rear of an A333 with only one jetbridge docked, the process didn't seem to take this long. So, my question is, under normal conditions, what types of aircraft take the longest to deplane? What have your longest deplaning experiences been, aside from waiting for wheelchairs, etc? If any of you have technical analysis, such as seats per isle per door, or anything like that, then I'd like to hear about that too. How about the 773? Or the A346? Or last one off an A380 (hopefully with 2 jetbridges   )

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kevin Boydston

That's a loooong plane for one isle!

[Edited 2010-05-25 20:47:11]

initious

RE: Your Longest Time To Deplane

Wed May 26, 2010 5:05 am

Quoting ElpinDAB (Thread starter):
Or last one off an A380 (hopefully with 2 jetbridges )

Try that when Air Austral gets their A380.. Be the 840th person off the plane! =D
One day I will fly around the world!

Aeroflot001

Wed May 26, 2010 5:17 am

From the time the door opens about 10 minutes

ElpinDAB
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2010 6:23 am

Quoting Initious (Reply 1):
Try that when Air Austral gets their A380.. Be the 840th person off the plane! =D

Wow, yea, I hadn't considered that when I was thinking about deplaning times. When the A380 came out, people were complaining that deplaning and customs would be a nightmare...we'll see how it plays out with Air Austral's holiday A380!

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 2):
From the time the door opens about 10 minutes

what type of plane?

BNAOWB

Wed May 26, 2010 4:36 pm

My longest deplaning experience was from my seat in the rear of a narrowbody (757 maybe) in ANC. My friend and I were probably the only people on this very full flight under the age of 80. So, perhaps airports such as ANC (old tourists) and MCO (young families with small children) often have much slower deplaning times than in airports with a high percentage of business travelers.

KingFriday013

Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Pffft. Mine was 2 hours 40 minutes.

I had been flying ROC-DTW-LGA in December on Pinnacle and Northwest. However, the inbound Pinnacle flight went mx back in DTW so I would end up missing my connection (and one of my only chances to fly on a DC-9-30). I get rebooked on a flight from DTW to JFK on what I was told to be a CRJ-900--luckily I checked the seatmap online (ROC has free wi-fi) and got the second exit window on what was actually going to be a DC-9-50. We get to DTW, and I have a 5 hour layover (got meal vouchers, luckily). The plane was inbound from PHL (which had just gone through the snowstorm and was a mess) so we end up leaving an hour late.

Long story short, we land at JFK around 20 minutes late, and then taxi over to Terminal 4. We wait on the ramp for about 20 minutes with the engines running, and then we finally pull into a remote stand. We were told the terminal was full, and we would get a bus and some stairs shortly. They shut off the engines and turn off the seatbelt sign. We then proceed to wait 2 hours for the stairs to come. They finally show up. Around 30 minutes later, a bus arrives, and 10 minutes after that someone comes to open the door from the outside. It took 30 minutes to unload the plane because the bus had to make two trips.

Here's the kicker... when I got rebooked, my checked bag didn't. In fact, it sat on the tarmac in ROC for 2 days (in a blizzard, I should add), and finally arrived on Christmas Day. Apparently Santa is an overweight Hispanic guy with a black van. The tag on the bag said LGA.

However, for the entire ordeal, I got $175 in vouchers and 4,000 SkyMiles. In addition, because I flew into JFK (and not LGA), I got a 10,000-mile (loyalty?) bonus. Considering the fact that I paid $199 for the itinerary (I was going to fly JFK-ROC nonstop a few weeks later), and that I would have gotten only 1,501 SkyMiles originally, I think it was worth it  

-J.

[Edited 2010-05-26 15:40:09]
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Viscount724

Thu May 27, 2010 12:32 am

Quoting ElpinDAB (Thread starter):
That's a loooong plane for one aisle!

The DC-8-61/71 and -63/73 are about 9 ft. longer than the 757-300. The Tupolev 114 was about the same length as the 753 (753 about one foot longer).

View Large View Medium

Photo © Aad van der Voet
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mel Lawrence

KingFriday013

Thu May 27, 2010 3:27 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
The DC-8-61/71 and -63/73 are about 9 ft. longer than the 757-300.

Isn't the seating on the DC-8 less than on the 757? I thought it was 2-2 or 2-3... that's going to be much fewer people.

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

ElpinDAB
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2010 2:59 am

Quoting BNAOWB (Reply 4):
So, perhaps airports such as ANC (old tourists) and MCO (young families with small children) often have much slower deplaning times than in airports with a high percentage of business travelers.

You're probably right about that. Being behind elderly people and parents wrangling their children seems to take longer.

Quoting KingFriday013 (Reply 5):
Mine was 2 hours 40 minutes.

Ouch! I'm glad it worked out for you in the end though.

That brings up another good point also. Although in your case, it sounds like your flight was forced to use a remote stand unexpectedly because of its late arrival and equipment change.

For those airports that regularly park aircraft at remote stands and bus passengers to the terminal, does deplaning usually take longer and require more than one bus trip?

Quoting KingFriday013 (Reply 7):
seating on the DC-8

The DC-8's have a wider fuselage than the -9's, despite their similar nose section. 3-3 Seating was standard in economy.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ellis M. Chernoff

Good call Viscount. I'll bet deplaning times were quite long for these two types. Although with the presence of open overhead bins and fewer carry-on bags, the process still might have been quicker than current aircraft types and the trend of filling the overhead compartments to capacity.

Viscount724

Fri May 28, 2010 4:39 am

Quoting KingFriday013 (Reply 7):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
The DC-8-61/71 and -63/73 are about 9 ft. longer than the 757-300.

Isn't the seating on the DC-8 less than on the 757? I thought it was 2-2 or 2-3... that's going to be much fewer people.

There's only a 1 inch difference in cabin width between the DC-8 and 707 (and other Boeing narrow-bodies). When the DC-8 was launched with a cabin wide enough for 6-abreast seating, Boeing had to widen the original 707 design which was intended for 5-abreast as many carriers preferred the 6-abreast option. The 707 cabin wound up 1 inch wider than the DC-8.

The stretched DC-8-61/63/71/73 models are certified for a maximum of 269 passengers and the 757-300 for 275 or 295 depending on the door and emergency exit configuration.

KingFriday013

Sun May 30, 2010 1:13 pm

Quoting ElpinDAB (Reply 8):
That brings up another good point also. Although in your case, it sounds like your flight was forced to use a remote stand unexpectedly because of its late arrival and equipment change.

Wasn't really an equipment change... they put me on a different flight (not to mention a -30 to a -50 is not a significant change... they're both classic DC-9s). However the late landing was the probable reason for the remote parking. Other factors were that it was very cold and there was ice on the ground (we were even sliding around the runway a bit when we landed!).

Quoting ElpinDAB (Reply 8):
For those airports that regularly park aircraft at remote stands and bus passengers to the terminal, does deplaning usually take longer and require more than one bus trip?

I'm sure it depends on the aircraft size, but usually I think they'll have more than one bus ready if it will be required.

-J.

daninafryingpan

Sun May 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Longest time to deplane was on a Bulgaria Air flight. Didn't time it exactly but it was looonnggg, probably due to the fact that it was a charter flight and there were tons of kids on it and the plane was pretty cramped already. It was an A320, and only one door was being used, I guess since it was the middle of winter in Bulgaria they didn't want to open the back door and have people walking round the apron in -5 degrees.

One other time on an FR flight the flight attendant couldn't get the airstairs to extend and although the flight was less than 50% full it still took several minutes while she pushed buttons and peeked out the door and pushed some more buttons and heard some loud banging noises until finally it worked!

MCO2BRS

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:18 am

MCO is my local airport, and I love it, but as stated above with the large amount of tourists, who are usually families with small children - getting off the plane is quite a battle. There is nothing worse than being sat in 65D/E/F/G arriving into MCO
on a VS744!

When flying domestically now, I usually route through TPA which isn't much further from me than MCO. Its just a little bit more tolerable when it comes to getting through TSA, getting on/off the plane and baggage collection.

Having said that, on a recent trip back from SFO on a DL 763, I had a stop in ATL, and we spent about 30-40 minutes sat at the gate because the jetway broke. Total time from my seat in 14D to the door still took about 15 minutes once they actually got the bridge working.

Cheers

MCO 2 BRS