Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EDICHC

RE: Poll: Worst Major Airport

Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 49):
Also changing terminals in MNL can require 1-3 hour connect time depending on how long you have to wait for the inter-terminal bus!

So it does exist? I have been through MNL so many times and I have never seen it...I thought it was just a rumour.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

TR763

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:35 pm

Wow, I just came back from the USA and I found MIA pretty easy for connections!
My flights were GRU-MIA-MCO-MIA-GRU, and everything was fine in Miami, specially on my way back to Brazil, as I arrived from MCO on D41 and departed to GRU from D21. Concourse D is pretty good.

I imagine that none of the posters have ever been to GRU. It is a real mess, as it's very small comparable to the amount of traffic it receives. It's crowded everywhere you go!!
Sometimes of the day it's a real hell to clear customs and immigration. Not to say that in the gates area, there are a few options for eating/drinking and they are VERY expensive - in both terminals.
I don't know about connections, because I live in São Paulo, but I've heard that it's not a good experience also.
The only great thing about GRU is that you can get to more nonstop destinations than any other city in South America.
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

copter808

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:49 am

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 50):
So it does exist? I have been through MNL so many times and I have never seen it...I thought it was just a rumour.

No, it's true! There are actually 2 bus services. The regular large bus is free and makes the trip to all the terminals. (If you can find it!) There is another smaller van-type bus that charges something like 20 Pisos for the trip. Best bet is to grab whichever comes first!

OR take a taxi if you really DO need to get to that other terminal.

copter808

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 am

Quoting TR763 (Reply 51):
I imagine that none of the posters have ever been to GRU.

I've been there a couple of times, but never had to leave the secured area. I was just waiting for my flight to continue to GIG.

BAKJet

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm

Quoting falstaff (Reply 34):
Yikes! I am transfering at CDG this summer on AF. I am flying MAN-CDG-DTW. I have never been there before and I don't speak French.

I flew CVG-CDG-PRG last summer and my transfer in CDG was smooth and relatively plesant. The biggest problem I encountered was that security staff had a very limited grasp of English, but were friendly and even that went pretty smoothly. Consdidering you don't even have to go through security (at least I assume you don't), you have no need to worry.

brilondon

Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 2):
PHL is a pit, but I find that JFK always finds a way to make a bad experience even worse, and gets my vote.
Quoting PI4EVER (Reply 3):
I am with you PGNCS............JFK. As loyal as I try to be towards DL, I will avoid JFK and opt for other hub connections or other airlines to avoid any JFK service. A shame for an airport to have such a poor reputation considering the history and magnitude of operations that was IDL/JFK. It should be a premier facility to welcome travelers to and from the USA.

PHL and JFK are my two worst nightmare airports. I cringe every time somebody who is travelling with me want to use these two airports. LHR if not as bad as it once was although every time you connect it seems you have to go through security and I blame the U.S. for that. For all its faults YYZ is actually one of the better airports I have gone through lately, that may not say much for the airports I have used over the last couple of years. DTW is a great to use. CDG is French, Enough said. AMS is a good airport, just too big. Way too much walking when I had to change planes there. Same with MSP, too much walking. FRA is confusing. AA at LAX is quite nice. I like the bar anyways, just the seats are too uncomfortable or is it just me. My favourite airport to uae is DFW. Well that's my opinion.
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

sq_ek_freak

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:14 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 13):
You must have not been here in a while.

Wow! That HAS changed - is that the hallway in TBIT that leads you out of customs into the greeter's area? I haven't worked an LAX flight in ages, and when I did the terminal was still under construction. ALSO - is that an Emirates crew walking through that random picture? It looks the like suit the EK boys wear, and it definitely looks like our stock uniform luggage...just curious  
Keep Discovering

OA260

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 9):
LHR is without doubt one of the most improved airports in recent years!

Totally agree they have come along way and its much nicer and stress free than its rivals.

Quoting Luftfahrer (Reply 4):
CDG. Unless you speak French very well, long walks pose no problem for you and you like the feeling of being unoriented – then things might be different.

Totally agree having used it last week .

KingFriday013

Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:37 pm

I don't know about you guys... the last several times I have flown out of JFK, my flight was on-time, and I didn't have to wait long in security. This is T4 and T2/3 we're talking about. My CO flight was delayed 5 hours once but that was because it had a hydraulic issue. I don't transfer through JFK as it's always either my point of departure or destination, but unless LGA is significantly cheaper I'll go to JFK with a smile on my face.

On that note, I'd have to say the worst major airport is either EWR or PHL.

-J.
Will add later

faucett

Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:42 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 41):
"Happiness is V2 out of LOS"

I would definitely have to second that! I've been to many places and seen many things, including many airports in Africa (CAI,LBV,JNB,CPT,ADD,NBO,ACC and the list goes on....), but I have to admit LOS is by far the worst airport I have even passed through. Failing air conditioning, 1.5 hour wait for luggage, horrible immigration that cannot be accomplished without "help", rude staff (if any), old, very old building.....For a country like Nigeria, this should be unacceptable.
faucett

SurfandSnow

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:37 am

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 41):
Oh how I envey the sheltered life some of the posters here are living. Indeed, JFK, CDG, LAX, MIA and LHR are hardly the most pleasent of airport experiences, but they are still rather a long way from being anywhere near the worst the aviation world can throw at you.

So very true! Even the worst American and European airports are a walk in the park compared to many of their counterparts in the developing world. I haven't traveled through Europe much, but I do know that Americans have it very easy. The TSA? I find that many of their staff are as friendly as Wal-Mart greeters and the rules are VERY clearly stated and straightforward. In most cases, the security lines move fairly quickly since the vast majority of travelers know exactly what to do.

Every U.S. airport I've been to has had excellent signage, clearly audible announcement systems, an array of food/shops/entertainment available before and/or after security, and remote boarding (by bus) is virtually unheard of thanks to an abundance of jetbridges or stairs/ramps right next to the terminal building. Almost all U.S. airports also offer some form of wifi and most have TVs with news or other programming all over the place that you can watch (for free) to pass the time.

In the developing world, you can reasonably expect to encounter any or all of these things -

- awkward arrival and departure times in the middle of the night (when most American and European airports would be closed for curfews)

- multiple security checkpoints:
1) airport perimeter (to check all incoming vehicles for carbombs)
2) entering terminal (all checked baggage and carry ons must be scanned before reaching check in desks)
3) passport control
4) terminal/gate area security (all carry ons and persons screened rigorously in TSA-fashion)
5) if traveling to U.S. or Europe, there may be an additional hand-searches or interview processes before boarding the flight

- the need to pay departure taxes, visa fees, or even outright bribes on the spot

- slow-moving check-in lines, given that many travelers are trying to check in overweight baggage and other huge items such as appliances and large electronics

- heavily armed security guards or soldiers throughout the airport

- swarms of people upon arrival that do everything they can to "help" you part with money

- complete lack of inexpensive mass transit options (trains, subways, etc.) to/from airport

- lack of basic amenities such as poignant signage, restaurants, clean restrooms, etc. in gate areas

- aura of chaos and confusion with many folks unable to communicate with airline staff in mutually intelligible languages

- odd rules and regulations that can delay you, induce fines, etc. (i.e. when visiting Mexico, you MUST keep track of the "tourist card" you get on arrival, or else you have a heck of a time leaving the country)

- boarding by jetbridge is hardly the rule, rather, it's the rare exception

You get the point. LHR, CDG, JFK, or LAX is a traveler's dream compared to some of the large airports in the third world such as LOS, DKR, or my least favorite - AMM.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

CairnterriAIR

Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:51 pm

JFK......the Delta terminal to be exact. While I have never had any line or signage problems, the place is dirty and has about as much class as an intercity subway station. Baggage claim is disgusting! The roads leading into JFK are a joke as well. I would seriously recommend people take a shuttle bus to the airport and park in a secure long term lot off airport grounds. I live in New England and have taken CT Limo from various cities in Connecticut to JFK. Much easier. As being the first impression of the US for arriving visitors, JFK sends a bad picture of the country in general.

STT.....what a great way to spoil a beautiful week in St. John and St. Thomas. Yes, Cyril E. King Airport is small and takes alot of traffic, but there is no signage directing where lines start and to where they are going, no people giving directions, slow moving lines through the ticket counters,(clueless agents working) immigrations (you pre-clear on departure), and security. No boarding announcements.....and no Air Conditioning in the gates. We arrived at the airport 4 hours before departure and made it to our seats on the plane with 5 minutes to spare! Understandable that there is no space for a bigger airport, but the place could indeed be a bit reorganized.

copter808

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 60):
2) entering terminal (all checked baggage and carry ons must be scanned before reaching check in desks)
3) passport control
4) terminal/gate area security (all carry ons and persons screened rigorously in TSA-fashion)
5) if traveling to U.S. or Europe, there may be an additional hand-searches or interview processes before boarding the flight

That describes MNL exactly!!!!

EDICHC

Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 am

Quoting copter808 (Reply 62):

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 60):
3) passport control

That describes MNL exactly!!!!

Except the gate for the terminal fee between check-in and passport control, also forgetting the completely inadequate air-con (in T1 at least).
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Doona

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:32 am

CDG tops my list as well. Last time I was there I almost missed my connection because of massive lines at a security checkpoint. If you could call them lines, more like a mob containing hundreds and hundreds of people with me at the fricking back. Took over an hour to get through. Luckily, they held back the flight for the fifteen minutes it took me and some 50 others to reach the gate. And this in the then fairly new T2 complex. I've heard that the newer additions to T2 are better, though.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.