JPuentes
Topic Author

Cleanest/Dirty Airport Restrooms

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:50 am

As I was walking into the Restrooms in DEN I realized that the janitor wash shining away almost every inch of that place which got me thinking about other ones I had been to that where just dirty like LAX.
I just want to know which Airports Have the Cleanest/Dirtiest restrooms..

Any experiences? Unwanted sights?

THNx
If you can't convince them, confuse them

dl767captain

RE: Cleanest/Dirty Airport Restrooms

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:22 am

Sadly as clean as SAN as an airport is (especially T2 West) the bathrooms are disgusting. They always smell and look like they are never cleaned

initious

Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Quoting JPuentes (Thread starter):
I just want to know which Airports Have the Cleanest/Dirtiest restrooms..
SIN gets a vote for the cleanest. 

[Edited 2010-06-01 05:49:29]
One day I will fly around the world!

hausauflennon

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:10 pm

Not because of bias, but i'd have to say that the bathrooms in Barbados (BGI) are very clean! Our custodial department here even has each urinal outfitted with these scented mats that release a fresh, floral scent on every flush! Bathrooms never smell rank and are always clean - for the most part!

The dirtiest restroom i can remember being in would have to be JFK's Terminal 4 after having arrived on a B6 flight from BGI. The tiles were missing, the stall doors were off, it was rank, what a mess!

PGNCS

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:12 pm

I recall JFK, PHL, and MDW have been routinely nasty, although this isn't something I have devoted any conscious mental capacity to, honestly.

flymia

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:57 am

There were some old ones in concourse C in MIA that were horrible. The ones in D are pretty nice though. I recall FCO not being so nice. PRG and VCE are the nicest I been in.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

YXD172

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:58 am

By far the worst I can remember was OPO's in the international arrivals hall (after immigration I believe.) The urinals were overflowing, there was water in some places on the floor (and anything else that may have been floating around in there) and there was plenty of TP to go around, though not in the rolls. Maybe they've changed over the last 5 years... hopefully.
Radial engines don't leak oil, they are just marking their territory!

iairallie

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:32 am

I was in something or other Arkansas at the uber small civilian airport near a military base. As I checked in for my flight the agent actually bragged that they had the top ranked airport bathrooms. Sure enough the bathrooms were really lux for an airport.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

tommy767

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:48 pm

EWR! DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY!
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

UltimateDelta

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 pm

Quoting Initious (Reply 2):
SIN gets a vote for the cleanest.

Ha! The little rubber things in the urinals at OMA proudly proclaim that we have the real world's cleanest restrooms!  

No, really, they do.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

daviation

Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Here I go again about FRA. The absolute filthiest restrooms I've ever seen. First of all, there are hardly any restrooms to be found. And there is one toilet in each restroom. I had to roam the airport for 20 minutes until I could find an empty restroom. It was so filthy and disgusting, I had to wash the toilet before I could sit down. I have never seen any other airport with facilities like that. MUC was spotless, FRA was a pit stop. Every U.S. airport I've been to had clean restrooms, some cleaner than others.

Of course, if you're a Senator looking for action, wasn't MSP a hot spot??!!
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

isitsafenow

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:04 am

Depends on when you go into the johns and where, this very experianced domestic flyer will tell you, they are all dirty--they are all clean.
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

ElpinDAB

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:30 am

The restrooms in IAH's Expressjet/regional concourses are among the dirtiest I've seen. Tiny, dingy, dirty grout, and urine all over the floors by the urinals. Good luck trying to completely hit the commode without having to stand in multiple other people's messes.

DEN, DTW, and DAB stand out as being relatively clean, from what I can remember.

Aeroflot001

Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 am

Surprisingly enough with all the hatred that is shown towards MIA here on anet   

The restrooms (Concourse D anyways) seem to always be very clean

ualcsr

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:34 am

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 13):
Surprisingly enough with all the hatred that is shown towards MIA here on anet

The restrooms (Concourse D anyways) seem to always be very clean

True, but (if it's still there), the one between F6 and F8 is disgusting and embarassing.

L410Turbolet

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Don't remember any super clean airport toilets worth mentioning.

As far as the dirty ones, Doha is by far the worst I have seen. Not enough of them for the amount of people the teminal has to deal with in peak hours, people washing their feet in sinks so the floor gets flooded in a while and nobody bothers to clean it up. Simply disgusting.

As a side note: I hate the reversed "culture shock" coming back home from the US getting used to our ridiculous European toilet bowls.
Whoever designed the American one - which avoids contact where it's not needed due to hygienic reasons - sure was thinking things through.   

PlymSpotter

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Dirtiest: Jolo in the Philippines. One tiny cubicle full of superheated air, broken seat, broken toilet, non flushing cistern and ants crawling everywhere. No loo roll either, but then it was the back of beyond.

Cleanest: I honestly don't remember.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 15):
Whoever designed the American one - which avoids contact where it's not needed due to hygienic reasons - sure was thinking things through.

I'd say the reverse about American ones - you get some quite unwanted contact due to the high water level, which is not something I think is terribly clean.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

iairallie

Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Quoting daviation (Reply 10):
Here I go again about FRA. The absolute filthiest restrooms I've ever seen

Everything you said about the toilets in FRA is true.

Nastiest toilets in my experience going out of the domestic terminal in IST maybe 5 years ago. It was a nasty hole in the floor.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

blink182

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:00 am

Quoting daviation (Reply 10):
Here I go again about FRA. The absolute filthiest restrooms I've ever seen.

Not the filthiest I've ever seen, but it looks like they converted closets into bathrooms. I haven't found them any cleaner or dirtier than 90% of the airport bathrooms I've seen though.

Filthiest overall would have to be NAN international arrivals in 2005. In relation to a lot of bathrooms in Fiji I saw it wasn't bad, but it was still pretty gross. As a backpacker, I wasn't phased. If I were going to a five-star resort, I would have been grossed out. I guess its all about expectations.

Nicest? DFW, especially in D and E. Large, absolutely spotless, and ample room to place your bags.
Tied for a close second would be AMS Schengen area and CPH.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

KingFriday013

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:23 am

ROC has pretty clean ones. Right by the entrances to them are big ceiling-high windows that offer really good ramp views of either B6 or FL (whichever gate is there, I forget) or an AC Jazz/Air Georgian B1900D depending on the concourse.

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

FX772LRF

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:16 am

I've personally never been to a bad airport restroom.

I believe that in my limited flying experience, the IND bathrooms were the cleanest - but this is also probably because they are brand new with the terminal.

-Noah   
Cleared to IAH via CLL 076 radial/BAZBL/RIICE3, up to 3k, 7k in 10, departure on 134.3, squawk 4676, Colgan 9581.

GrinddalCPH

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:00 am

Not being Biased here, But Cleanest for me is CPH, they are all sparkling and smell fresh and clean! Also look very new and modern!

For me the worst for a major airport is DUB, simply just disgusting, especially the ones by the baggage claim, they remind me of the restrooms in a bar after a long night of drinking and partying Eeew!

[Edited 2010-06-14 00:03:18]
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway!

daviation

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:00 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 16):
you get some quite unwanted contact due to the high water level, which is not something I think is terribly clean.

Either the water level is high, or you've been very blessed in the "equipment department!"
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

sw733

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:44 pm

HKG always impresses me. I am there pretty often between layovers and work in HKG itself and I have never entered a restroom without an attendant scrubbing away.

Worst...uh...98% of Africa?

RIXrat

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:26 am

As far as toilets are concerned, I would agree that CPH has one of the cleanest available. It even has a log before you enter the door denoting the last time it was cleaned. The worst that I have experienced was Leningrad/St. Petersburg where urine was three centimeters off the floor. This was in 2002.

[Edited 2010-06-15 01:28:17]

extspotter

Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:06 pm

For the dirty I have two:

PRG - The cleaners obviously don't do their job properly as EVERY toilet in the airport reaked horribly, as well as a poor level of "cleaning" especially the floor.

PUJ - The plumbing just donesn't seem to work. Either there is no water to flush the toilet or wash your hands, or everything has overflowed and flooded not only the toilet area but some of the concourse outside them too...
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

babybus

Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm

For dirty: JED. I used to rather wait and use the toilet on the plane. Water everywhere, visually unpleasant and toilets unflushed or unflushable.

For clean: My mark goes to Terminal 5 LHR. They are all very clean and I'm very proud to say these are British toilets.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

MillwallSean

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:44 pm

To me there is nothing that beats KUL. best bathrooms by far.

SIN is ok, some getting a bit worn though. HKG is good but KUL is just the best.

the worst for me its Doha. really really filthy. Dont get it they want to be such a transit place but the entire Doha experience is really not a nice one. In general the gulf isnt to nice when it comes to toilets.

Worst apart from that SYD in Australia are horrible sometimes and ok others.

India and DEL in particular and DFW USA are others that really have been bad when I've been there.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

sw733

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 27):
To me there is nothing that beats KUL. best bathrooms by far.

Weird, my experiences at KUL have been average. Then again, everyone says how amazing the airport is and I think it is just so-so, so I guess my opinions on KUL differ greatly from the masses.

jetblast

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Quoting KingFriday013 (Reply 19):
ROC has pretty clean ones. Right by the entrances to them are big ceiling-high windows that offer really good ramp views of either B6 or FL (whichever gate is there, I forget) or an AC Jazz/Air Georgian B1900D depending on the concourse.

I noticed this just yesterday as well when I was flying through. London T5 is also fantastic.

JFK Terminal 3 was terrible.
Speedbird Concorde One

coachclass

Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:44 am

Worst international I experienced several years ago: TGU

Best U.S. Domestic: CLT. Charlotte restrooms have a full time attendant there constantly cleaning the that restroom, and there's a large tip jar which I gladly put a dollar in because the rest rooms are very clean. The attendants often hand you hand towels and assist you with your luggage.

And while we're at it, dirtiest toilet in the sky, AA ( I won't begin to describe the toilets-FLL-LAX) and US a couple of flights in the past which US seemed to stop using water in the sinks and supplied handiwipes (BUR-PHX-FLL).

Cleanest: LH. F/A's constantly check and for some reason, always check the ceiling.

TheCommodore

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:44 am

The dirtiest toilets that I have ever seen were at CGD about 3 years ago while I was in transit waiting to got to Moscow. I must also say the the toilets on the flight over (airfrance) were also bad.I just crossed my legs and waited.
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

coopdogyo

Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:15 pm

I was in PHL and those bathrooms were pretty disgusting. Writing all over the walls and more than one clogged toilet filled with brown stuff or trash.