328JET
Topic Author

Potential A380-customers

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:32 am

What are the next possible A380-customers?

In my opinion:

- Turkish Airlines
- Iberia
- V Australia
- ANA
- Egypt Air
- Saudia
- United Airlines
- Air China
- Cathay
- SAA
- TAM
- Cathay

Did i miss somebody?

What are your thoughts?

[Edited 2010-08-09 17:53:29]

FRNT787

RE: Potential A380-customers

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:47 am

Quoting 328JET (Thread starter):
- Turkish Airlines

Maybe. If they decide to try an EK type operation out of IST, then they would likely need a pretty good fleet of them. If not, I could still see 5-10 in the fleet.

- Iberia

I dont know about them. At the very least though, a small subfleet of them becomes viable due to the BA fleet though, which may help its case.

- V Australia

It would be a long way off IMO. They have been struggling with the 77W (last I have noticed, I could be way off base).

- ANA

Very possibly. Some here have posted numerous times that an order has been all but done. For now, they seem happy with the 77W. Could see either A380 or 748i.

- Egypt Air

I simply do not know. Same with Saudia. (Both times you listed it )

- United Airlines

I dont see it. Their west coast intercontinental flights get spread over LAX and SFO. While East Coast, goes out of ORD, IAD, and EWR (once merger is complete). I see a 77W sized plane at the top. United's current orderbook has the A350-900 replacing the 747s.

- Air China

I think this is likely.

- Cathay

Cathay is one of the airlines where I see the 748i/A380 combo coming in. Perhaps even a 748i/A380-900.

brightcedars

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:43 am

In my understanding most airlines tend to establish daily service on a route and then eventually add more daily frequencies before increasing aircraft capacity, except when traffic rights limit the frequency and not the capacity and that demand justifies the capacity, or when the distance is too large to warrant any benefit by increasing frequency. Also, I believe nonstop point-to-point commands better yields and supports the business case for smaller long haul capable aircraft whenever possible.

Turkish Airlines

I think TK will buy the A380 but I don't see them being able to actually fill that many of them. Something like 6 -800's should be enough, joined by some more-800's or perhaps -900's later on. A dozen in all seems a reasonable target.

Iberia

I'm not so sure there are that many markets where IB could use an A380 daily, they may prefer to abuse larger aircraft such as the A346's or 77W's/A350's.

V Australia

I don't see V Australia battling with QF on the A380 front. They may however end up codesharing or using some A380's together with VS.

ANA

NH can certainly use a decent quantity of A380's but they might as well be able to do things otherwise by increasing their points of presence in Europe and America by using smaller modules instead.

Egypt Air

I don't see Egypt Air needing A380's until they have achieved increased frequencies on some key routes and have no other option. I'd rather see them go the ANA way, especially to America.

Saudia

Saudia doesn't need A380's.

United Airlines

After their merger with CO it could be that UA could do with some A380's in their combined fleet, particularly for Pacific operations.

Air China

There are quite a few large carriers in China. Air China maybe one that can support the A380 but on too few routes. I rather see these carriers developement points on the World map as a first stage.

Cathay Pacific

CX is one of those carriers who also somehow may opt to add dots on the map rather than funnel passengers in large quantities. However they do have routes that can support the A380 even multiple times per day (e.g. HKG-LHR) and I believe they are just waiting for the -900's.

South African & TAM

I would prefer to see them adding dots on the map.

I would like to add to the list:

Delta Airlines

Since merging with NW I would think there is a case for the A380 at DL just like there may be one at UA+CO.

KLM

It would be rather economical for KL to operate even just a couple A380's if the need arose as long as the configuration remains close to that of AF. I see this happening some day in the future.

BAfan

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:49 am

Ryanair at STN in all economy 840 pax low cost long haul...

(OK, so it's not going to happen, but it would be an interesting proposal!)

pink77W

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:04 am

ASIANA.......for LAX or to compete with KOREAN

Burkhard

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:45 am

On longer terms, I think more Chinese and Indian carriers will fly it, but not before 2016 or so...

cv640

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 pm

Quoting brightcedars (Reply 2):
Delta Airlines

Since merging with NW I would think there is a case for the A380 at DL just like there may be one at UA+CO.

No chance with Delta. They have no plans on adding any new fleets.

SR4ever

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:27 pm

I 'd say, from the soonest to the latest:

- IB, for core Latam routes
- KL, a few aircrafts for very congested/busiest routes
- SS, with a high-density vabin (744 replacement)
- NH, partly to compensate JL network downsizing
- AI
- CX
- CA and MU
- OZ
- JJ
- BR or CI
- UA/CO
- DL
- SA
- AB, to compete better with LH

[Edited 2010-08-10 05:32:48]