SR4ever
Topic Author

BRU-DXB Via IST By TK: What To Expect In J?

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I might go to Dubai for a few days in October.

Among available opportunities is BRU-IST-DXB by TK, for EUR 1,335 return in J.
(BA offers the same rate on LUX-LGW+LHR-DXB in J by the way)

What can I expect as hard and soft product in J on such flights? The website of TK isn't too explicit about that, although it gives a breakdown of the different seating layouts on 321s and 738s...

Qatara340

RE: BRU-DXB Via IST By TK: What To Expect In J?

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:58 am

I would avoid flying with them in J!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The seats are the same as in economy with the middle seat's armrest flipped! Its a rip-off! Take EY, LH perhaps, MUCH MUCH better! The IFE is nonexistant in these planes and a long journey, why take it!
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

airbuseric

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:11 am

Unless you can fly on their A330/340/777, I would not take TK in this case. Although they are a very, very good airline, especially I find their onboard catering outstanding compared to competion.

You say you fly A321/738. That's they same seat you would get on shorthaul flights. Better take BA then, operating B777/747 + IFE etc. I would rate that hardware better on this particular routing.

But indeed, also LH, KL, AF, EK, LX might have an interesting deal.
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

SR4ever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 1):
The seats are the same as in economy with the middle seat's armrest flipped!
Quoting airbuseric (Reply 2):
You say you fly A321/738. That's they same seat you would get on shorthaul flights.

I expected those kind of replies  

But on http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...services/business_class_seats.aspx , I can seen that some 321s have a 48'' pitch, with 2+2 seating....

It seems that TK does not have such a unified Mediumhaul product, hence my original question.

BA would be much better in terms of seating and IFE I agree, but transferring from LGW to LHR back and forth isn't that nice, especially as you have to retrieve your luggage at airport 1 and then to drop it again at airport 2. And I tend to concentrate on Miles & More rather than disperse my miles on various programs.

But on the other hand, travelling those 210-something km from Luxemburg to Brussels with that stupid rail service taking 3hrs (excluding the usual delays) isn't too appealing, either...

airbuseric

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 3):
But on the other hand, travelling those 210-something km from Luxemburg to Brussels with that stupid rail service taking 3hrs (excluding the usual delays) isn't too appealing, either...

Can't you work out somethings via FRA? LG LUX-FRA and transferring to LH? Or TK for my part? You can collect M&M also on LG.

But on http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...services/business_class_seats.aspx , I can seen that some 321s have a 48'' pitch, with 2+2 seating....

Let's hope that these ones are scheduled to operate on your flight(s) then  

SR4ever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:03 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 2):
But indeed, also LH, KL, AF, EK, LX might have an interesting deal.
Quoting airbuseric (Reply 4):
Can't you work out somethings via FRA? LG LUX-FRA and transferring to LH? Or TK for my part? You can collect M&M also on LG.

LH is indeed one alternative, but I find that their J longhaul product smacks a little too much of a factory. Seating lags behind current standards, too, especially on night flights.

KL is really unimpressive, especially as they still offer their old WBC to DXB. Their J product on LUX-AMS is a joke, too.
AF should have imposed on them higher standards in J I believe.

AF has more style than KL, but I tend to avoid transit at CDG, and their service in J is now too pretentious: nice appearance but substance not on par. I also don't trust AF too much in terms of safety, as they seem unable to learn from more or less minor mishaps.

LX is indeed the most appealing option, but it seems that their flights fill up at a very quick pace, meaning that there might be no seat left when I am eventually able to take the decision to travel. 

EK is really not worth it: EUR 2,400 for FRA-DXB rtn, EUR 2,800 for CDG-DXB rtn. And travelling from Luxemburg to CDG by train in October is something which I really want to avoid, as France will probably experience repeated industrial action in its public sector, including railways of course  (and this also leans against flying AF via CDG at that time). Even though EK offers complimentary chaufeur service from Gare de l'Est to CDG.

Travelling from Luxemburg to FRA by train is feasible, but it's rather slow and requires either a change at Koblenz (little frequency) or if you want more frequency, then you have to take an express coach from Luxemburg to Saarbrücken, then take ICE/EC/IC to Mannheim, then ICE to FRA. While I don't mind that when travelling outbound, I don't like it too much when travelling inbound.

Something which I don't understand either with EK on CDG-DXB is that the 388 (with flat beds in J) flies on EK 76 (Afternoon+Evening), while the 77W (with lie-flat-in in J) flies on EK 74 (night).

Another alternative, quite interesting, is flying BRU-AUH with EY metal, yet under SN number, meaning cheaper fares (EUR 1,600-something rtn) and filling the Miles & More account. But whether I would be able to use the EY J/F complimentary chauffeur service to Dubai (or at least the Y complimentary coach) is unclear.

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 4):
Let's hope that these ones are scheduled to operate on your flight(s) then

That's what I really would like to know... Does anyone here know how TK allocates its medium-haul fleet?

Given that IST-DXB is 4hrs-something, one may expect the most comfy medium-haul aircrafts to fly there, but who knows...

HT

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm

While we are discussing TK in Business Class in this tread anyway ...: How much time should one allocate for transfers in IST (I am talking about HAJ - IST - ICN v/v here) ?
In some threads (here and elsewhere) I got the impression, that transfers at IST can be a) complicated and b) IST is prone to delayed flights ?
OTOH, about 2200 € for above mentioned flights ain't too bad; longhaul flights are on the A332.
(Yes, I realize that AY has fares as low as 1660 € in Business Class to ICN from VIE and 1815 € from ZRH in March 2011 but timings do not work favorably for me).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

airbuseric

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 6):
How much time should one allocate for transfers in IST (I am talking about HAJ - IST - ICN v/v here) ?

I was through last month in 30 minutes...Handluggage only, so can't comment on how much checked bags would need to transfer through IST.

@HT have the impression that TK J is at a higher level nowadays then AY J. Don't worry too much about connecting in IST. It's an easy airport to navigate, and groundstaff is helpful too.

SR4ever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:30 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 6):
OTOH, about 2200 € for above mentioned flights ain't too bad; longhaul flights are on the A332.

To sum it up:

TK BRU-IST-DXB: 1,336 rtn

BA LUX-LGW+LHR-DXB: 1,332 rtn (can make a longer stopover in LON, for +220 EUR)

LH, LX, OS via FRA, MUC, ZRH or VIE(with LG on LUX-MUC/FRA/VIE) : 1,700-1,723 rtn

AF LUX-CDG-DXB: 1,724 rtn

SN (EY): BRU-AUH: 1,773 rtn

VLM LUX-LCY + VS LHR-DXB: no combined fare available any more.

EK CDG-DXB: 2,825 rtn

EK FRA-DXB: 2,443 rtn

[Edited 2010-08-30 09:33:37]

TK787

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I can seen that some 321s have a 48'' pitch, with 2+2 seating....

Good luck with those. There are only 4 x 321 Kingfisher NTUs, TK grabbed recently.
IST-DXB showing 320 by the way.
Also there are 8 x 738s with 2x2 J seating but again it is a crap shoot if you get any of these 2x2 layout.
On the other hand, there is always a chance that TK might sub a 332 or a 343 for one/more of your segments if the demand is there. No way of knowing till the last minute.
Bon Voyage

mickster

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:37 pm

I just did a random search with ITA Software's Matrix and here is what it showed.

With MS - EUR 1,328:
15OCT BRU CAI 1555 2025 A321 J
15OCT CAI DXB 2215 0400 B777 J
21OCT DXB CAI 0500 0645 B777 J
21OCT CAI BRU 1000 1445 A321 J

For the same dates OS costs at least EUR 1,347 or EUR 1,369 (VIE DXB is on B767), TK costs EUR 1,370, lowest VS fare is EUR 1,944 (LHR DXB on A346 and SN operating BRU LHR), LH costs EUR 1,700 and above.

SR4ever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:10 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 9):
IST-DXB showing 320 by the way.

It seems that some flights on that sector have 321s, though...

Quoting mickster (Reply 10):
I just did a random search with ITA Software's Matrix and here is what it showed.

With MS - EUR 1,328:
15OCT BRU CAI 1555 2025 A321 J
15OCT CAI DXB 2215 0400 B777 J
21OCT DXB CAI 0500 0645 B777 J
21OCT CAI BRU 1000 1445 A321 J

Thx  

MS doesn't look too impressive, though...

There is indeed more choice from BRU than from LUX, so long as the departure time from BRU is not too early, and the arrival time there not too late...

I still can't believe that TK doesn't offer something more top-tier on such a segment as IST-DXB, considering what EK offers on its side...

Luxair747SP

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:43 pm

I would go for LX, their Avros for the short sector are really comfty and their new longhaul business on the A333 is one of the best in Europe.

You could also check Royal Brunei from LHR to DXB, their new 777s got the old SQ Business Class and always have good prices.

Or take the bus to Saarbrücken, my hometown  Naaah just kidding ^^
Johannes

SR4ever
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Quoting luxair747SP (Reply 12):
I would go for LX, their Avros for the short sector are really comfty and their new longhaul business on the A333 is one of the best in Europe.

Agreed.  

LX would be my easiest choice for LUX-DXB, but It might be full at the time when I can finally make my bookings.

What I found attractive with TK was the stopover in IST, with enough time (half a day) to tour a city which really love  
It seems that their website is bugged, as my attempts for a longer stopover in IST end nowhere.

Quoting luxair747SP (Reply 12):
You could also check Royal Brunei from LHR to DXB, their new 777s got the old SQ Business Class and always have good prices.

I hadn't thought of that one, do you know other exotic flights from Western Europe to DXB?

BI website gives GBP 2,081 for LHR-DXB rtn, though...

Luxair747SP

Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:56 pm

I found another very good offer, but you would have to connect 2x.
Why don't you use Omanair by connecting in FRA/MUC or LHR and Muscat.
Than you just need a LG connection flight.
I had a quick search and found a R/T business fare from FRA-DXB-FRA for 1350 €
That's quite a good offer and their nuw business class is really awesome, there are Tripreports about it .

Johannes

Qatara340

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:21 pm

Thats what I thought when I booked TK, but I regretted it a lot!

Why dont you see QR!

What are your exact dates?
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

TK787

Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:57 am

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 13):

What I found attractive with TK was the stopover in IST, with enough time (half a day) to tour a city which really love

Are you interested in the free tour by TK?
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...or-all-our-transit-passengers.aspx
I am not sure, but to qualify for this you have to have a certain amount of hours between the two flights. Not sure how many hours.

HT

Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:34 am

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 13):
It seems that their website is bugged, as my attempts for a longer stopover in IST end nowhere.

Try the "Multi Stop"-option on TK´s website and enter 3 flights as BRU-DXB / DXB-IST / IST-BRU.
For random dates in October (with a 2 days stop in Istanbul) I get a quote of 1377 € in Business Class.

Quoting TK787 (Reply 16):
http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-IN...or-all-our-transit-passengers.aspx
I am not sure, but to qualify for this you have to have a certain amount of hours between the two flights. Not sure how many hours.

Timings of tours are fixed; any lead-in and lead-out time required should cover immigration & security check, so 1 to 1.5 hours before and after the tour should be allowed (maybe even 2 hours after the tour to allow room for traffic jams ... ?).

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 7):
I was through last month in 30 minutes...

Thanks again for this and the other info.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

SR4ever
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:08 am

Quoting luxair747SP (Reply 14):
I found another very good offer, but you would have to connect 2x.
Why don't you use Omanair by connecting in FRA/MUC or LHR and Muscat.
Than you just need a LG connection flight.
I had a quick search and found a R/T business fare from FRA-DXB-FRA for 1350 €
That's quite a good offer and their nuw business class is really awesome, there are Tripreports about it .

Thanks for that very interesting tip, which I hadn't though of  

I shall keep that on file.  
Quoting QatarA340 (Reply 15):
Thats what I thought when I booked TK, but I regretted it a lot!

Oh really, how was it?

Why dont you see QR!

QR FRA-DXB is 2,064, just to travel in a lie-flat-in seat, not a flat bed. It really matters on the Outbound flight, as it is at night.

What are your exact dates?

Let's say 5-6 days from 7/8 Oct to 12/14Oct

It would be nice indeed.

am not sure, but to qualify for this you have to have a certain amount of hours between the two flights. Not sure how many hours.

There can be some long lay-overs at IST.

Quoting HT (Reply 17):
Try the "Multi Stop"-option on TK´s website and enter 3 flights as BRU-DXB / DXB-IST / IST-BRU.

I didn't work last time.

In the end, and unless I have more and better warrantees as to what TK offers on those flights in J, the shortlist is likely to be something like that:

- BA LUX-LGW+LHR-DXB rtn, possibly with a stopover in London
- LX LUX-ZRH-DXB rtn
- LX LUX-ZRH-DXB + LH DXB-MUC + LG MUC-LUX, as I could fly at daytime inbound, too, but I am not sure of what kind of service LH offers in J on DXB-MUC in the morning
- SN (EY) BRU-AUH rtn, and then AUH-DXB either with Chauffeur (if SN ticketed passengers in J are eligible to it), or with the Luxury coach (accessible for AED 75).
- WY FRA-MCT-DXB rtn