Yellowstone
Topic Author

Appropriate Compensation For IFE Failure?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:28 pm

I was on a CO flight from LHR to IAH recently - a ten hour flight aboard a 777. The flight left Heathrow with the AVOD IFE system stuck in a reboot loop, and despite turning the system on and off a few times during the flight, they could never get the system working. Consequently, there was no IFE at all for the entire ten hour flight. I thought they might give us a drink coupon or two, or perhaps a discount voucher for use on a future CO flight, but no compensation was offered.

Any thoughts on whether this is fair or not? Personally, I figure that CO didn't provide me with the service they said I would get, hence they should have given me some compensation in return.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

Vmcavmcg

RE: Appropriate Compensation For IFE Failure?

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Quoting Yellowstone (Thread starter):
I figure that CO didn't provide me with the service they said I would get, hence they should have given me some compensation in return.

If you read the "Conditions of Carriage" you will find CO only promised to get you from point A (LHR) to point B (IAH). So, you can argue they didn't provide you the service you contracted for, but at the end of the day they did.

Now as a "good will gesture" that's another issue all together. I once flew SQ from SIN-CDG and the IFE (773ER) was working about half the time. I was given a US$ 500 voucher to be used in Duty Free, towards another SQ flight or I could go to any SQ ticket counter and have it applied to my credit card.

Very efficient and very good marketing.
If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane!

sectflyer

Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:56 pm

I know B6 give you a 15$ credit, I got that a couple times. Without asking mind you. Id say a couple rounds of free drinks would be a great gesture. It can be accomplished during flight and no need for followup except maybe a letter or email saying sorry.

Yellowstone
Topic Author

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 pm

Quoting vmcavmcg (Reply 1):
If you read the "Conditions of Carriage" you will find CO only promised to get you from point A (LHR) to point B (IAH). So, you can argue they didn't provide you the service you contracted for, but at the end of the day they did.

I certainly realize this - I don't have any legal claim against CO, to be sure! I just think that there was a certain level of service I (quite reasonably) expected from them when I bought the ticket, which they failed to provide. If they want to keep customers happy, they ought to offer something else in exchange for the missing service.
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

CrimsonNL

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:47 pm

We got $50 dollars when the AVOD failed on one of NW's 333s..
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

OA260

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Quoting vmcavmcg (Reply 1):
I was given a US$ 500 voucher to be used in Duty Free, towards another SQ flight or I could go to any SQ ticket counter and have it applied to my credit card.

Wow thats good PR. Kudos to them. I would think something as a goodwill gesture would be a good idea for any airline to offer.

Vmcavmcg

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 5):
Wow thats good PR. Kudos to them. I would think something as a goodwill gesture would be a good idea for any airline to offer.

Granted I was in J but I think the Y pax got $200.
If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane!

B747forever

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:38 pm

Quoting vmcavmcg (Reply 6):
think the Y pax got $200.

If that was the case I would easily be able to fly without any IFE.
Work Hard, Fly Right

OA260

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 7):
If that was the case I would easily be able to fly without any IFE.

Me too I have my iPad as back up  

flymia

Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:28 pm

Are you an FF with CO? I would e-mail them or call them on their FF line and give a very strong complaint. Of course they got you to your destination safely thats their job. However you did not get the service you were expecting to get. They at the minimum should have given out free drinks. If your a FF e-mail them call them etc.. Get something out of that, they should give you miles or something. At least thats was AA does.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

aluminumcity

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:09 am

I know AC tends to give out either 1000 aeroplan miles or 5% off your next flight.
"Well, if I were flying on an MD-80, I'd be taking those anti-depressants too."

Julian773

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:06 am

I flew on AC and my IFE didnt work the entire flight. I wrote an email to the customer service and I received a 10% discount on my next booking. This is a good way to compensate and it also kinda forces you to book on AC  
I would send them an email and maybe you'll be lucky.

Maverick623

Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:06 am

Quoting Yellowstone (Thread starter):
I figure that CO didn't provide me with the service they said I would get,

Man, I was about to rip you a new one, and then you had to go and post this:

Quoting Yellowstone (Reply 3):

I certainly realize this - I don't have any legal claim against CO, to be sure! I just think that there was a certain level of service I (quite reasonably) expected from them when I bought the ticket, which they failed to provide. If they want to keep customers happy, they ought to offer something else in exchange for the missing service.

Why must you be so reasonable?!?  

Honestly, the best thing to do is write a letter to their complaint department if you're looking for compensation. However:

Quoting flymia (Reply 9):
give a very strong complaint.

Is not the best way to do that. Be firm, of course, as you feel wronged, but don't make it out like you missed a connection and couldn't get anyone to help you rebook.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

debonair

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:48 am

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 4):
We got $50 dollars when the AVOD failed on one of NW's 333s..

Me too, as the IFE was broken on the DC10- but only as travel vouchers and not cash.