Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Bizarre Occurence: Day Before Flight...

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 am

OK...so my boss and I (who, coincidentally, are on the same flight home to two separate places) both got separate personal phone calls (yes, with a live voice on the other end who, presumably, has a life before and after punching out of work) from Roanoke Airport, telling us to be at the airport between 4 and 4:30 because of heightened security. Is there anything to read into this? Just wondering!

kaitak

RE: Bizarre Occurence: Day Before Flight...

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:20 am

Who else knows that you are both on the same flight? I think someone is winding you up. The first thing I would do would be to call the airport and confirm.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:30 am

kaitak-I doubt it. I'm in an area where there isn't a darned person living in this area code who has my cell phone number, aside from the airline, the hotel, and the car company. Further, my boss, who has a phone number from a totally different area code, and a totally different area of the country, as mentioned, got that call, and we didn't even find out that we were on the same flight coming home until yesterday.

cbphoto

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:44 am

Quoting SHUPirate1 (Thread starter):
(who, coincidentally, are on the same flight home to two separate places)

So on the same flight out of Roanoke?

Not gonna lie, it does seem kind of fishy that someone from the airport would call you about heightened security, unless they plan on their being a situation that day, like only one screening machine will be operational or something. I have never heard of anything like this, but then again I guess stranger things have occurred.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:47 am

Right...same flight out of Roanoke, connecting to two separate cities.

stasisLAX

Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:21 am

Were your tickets (you and the boss) booked through your companies corporate travel department or through the same travel agency? I think this might explain the messages both of you received..... if there's some delay on your route. I've flown through Roanoke in the past couple of months on DL - there was very little delay at the TSA checkpoint and my flights both departed on time from Roanoke.

ua777222

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:33 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 5):
Were your tickets (you and the boss) booked through your companies corporate travel department or through the same travel agency? I think this might explain the messages both of you received..... if there's some delay on your route. I've flown through Roanoke in the past couple of months on DL - there was very little delay at the TSA checkpoint and my flights both departed on time from Roanoke.

I think the OP is posting because it wasn't just a recording but an actual person who informed two different parties to arrive early.

What's more, if you're posting this after having just gotten the calls, how late did they contact you? Did they say who they were with (airport, airline, TSA?)

Thanks.

vfw614

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:47 am

Quoting kaitak (Reply 1):
Who else knows that you are both on the same flight? I think someone is winding you up.

Why? The TO wrote:

OK...so my boss and I both got separate personal phone calls

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:50 am

Quoting stasisLAX (Reply 5):

I can't answer for him, but I booked my tickets through Delta.com.

Quoting ua777222 (Reply 6):
What's more, if you're posting this after having just gotten the calls, how late did they contact you? Did they say who they were with (airport, airline, TSA?)

Probably about one or two o'clock in the afternoon. They said they were with the Roanoke Airport.

SHUPirate1
Topic Author

Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:52 am

Through security...turns out it was absolutely nothing. They apparently had some issues with having to hold flights for people yesterday due to tremendous (for Roanoke) backups at the security checkpoint, and didn't want to have to go through the same thing today.

utapao

Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:55 pm

OK...so my boss and I ...both got separate personal phone calls ... from Roanoke Airport, telling us to be at the airport between 4 and 4:30 because of heightened security.

OK .... so.... why would "Roanoke Airport" call you and not the airline?? How would they know you had a reservation on a carrier? I can't imagine an airport taking on the responsibility of notifying x-number of carriers passengers of an 'issue' vs. the airlines owning the issue. I have NEVER had an airport call me!

FlyPIJets

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:04 pm

@flyROA is ROA's twitter account, direct message them.

FlyPIJets

Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Quoting utapao (Reply 10):
why would "Roanoke Airport" call you and not the airline??

because the only way ROA (my hometown BTW) can stand out is through customer service (I hope this is the plan)

Airport Manager Staff to Airline Station Manager - "Security was kind of rough on us yesterday, if you want and can if you can provide telephone numbers, we'll be glad to call your customers and let them know, after all ROA is usually a pretty quick hop through the TSA line, no one is expecting a long line."

Airline Station Manager - "Hey, man, thanks!"

At least I hope that is what was going on. ROA only tweeted about TSA once on 10/29, so, maybe not as above.