Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Skisandy
Topic Author

G20 Meeting - Major Flight Interruptions In Lisbon

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Stay away from any city that has a G8 or G20 meeting!

It just took me 7 hours to fly from Milan to Lisbon (where the meeting is), due to the entire
Portugal airspace being closed for hours, for security reasons - missing my connection to Brazil.
(Comment: These commercial TAP flights seem to be mighty dangerous, me thinks, so let's
keep them on the ground!).

The entire city is paralysed due to closures, not of streets, but entire areas, as soon as some
of these very important politicians are in that neighborhood. Pathetic!

By the way - there are two 747-300's Air Force One's parked at LIS right now.

Also - TAP is a disaster when it comes to dealing with this situation. The meetings are scheduled
to last from November 16 till November 20, so they are on-going for a while. But - every late or canceled
flight seems to take them by surprise, with one or two agents at their Service Centers, with most of
the positions un-manned. This is a time to be fully staffed, if any. I guess they let too many of their
employess go, because everything is "so much easier" to do on-line.

The line just to get a hotel voucher (for the involuntary over nights in LIS) seems to be about 2 hours long,
so if you want to rest you need to soot over to the commercial travel agency and pay for your room. Actually -
it is generous for TAP to pay for hotels, since this is not their fault - but the procedure is so cumbersome, that
many people seem to say "thanks, but no thanks".

Summary: If you know that a G8 or G20 meeting is planned in a city, avoid it at all cost - including just connecting
via that city.

dl767captain

RE: G20 Meeting - Major Flight Interruptions In Li

Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm surprised they have to close so much airspace for these flights, it seems like the airlines know about this they could have done something about rescheduling flights. This reminds me of during the world cup when tons of commercial flights had to circle or were diverted because of VIP traffic