Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

etops1
Topic Author

AA Brand And Identity .Should It Change?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:43 am

Is the AA brand that iconic that it should never be changed or should AA explore a new identity. IE: New livery or logo.Thoughts ,comments??

[Edited 2010-12-07 20:44:36]

sccutler

RE: AA Brand And Identity .Should It Change?

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:47 am

I think the AA livery is clean, classic and effective. It looks as good, today, on a 777, as it did when rolled out on 707s.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

flyguy89

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:51 am

The logo and livery are pretty timeless and are fine the way they are, but AA could definitely do with some interior upgrades and some upgrades in their soft product. The problem is that AA initiated major interior upgrades on much of their fleet just before 9/11, so they're stuck in an odd place right now where their upgrades are fairly new yet are now outdated compared to some of their competitors. Their soft product is still excellent in the premium cabins, they have to be the most generous by far when it comes to hot food in domestic first. Economy could do with some tweaking, an enhanced BOB menu and some sort of complimentary snack offering would be nice and place them on par with DL and CO.

BMI727

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:55 am

Quoting etops1 (Thread starter):
Is the AA brand that iconic that it should never be changed or should AA explore a new identity.

I don't see why they would change. But they will have to change the livery at least a little bit when they get 787s, since they can'f polish CFRP. My guess is they will just go with white like the A300s and DC-10s.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

smi0006

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:14 am

I think they may need a slight refresh; new uniforms for staff, updated cutlery and crockery, new seat fabrics and cabin laminates. Things that are far cheaper then new seats or a new brand but show a modern company!

flymia

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 am

The livery and logos are timeless and I dont see them changing ever. As long as AA is in the sky the planes will look the same. As for their product/identity it needs some tunning up. I am very loyal to AA they have a great First product and being from Miami its hard not to be loyal to them. I also think they have the best FF product around. However they need major upgrades in their domestic fleet. Also at some point the 738s are going to need better IFE along with the 767s.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

MDShady

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:31 am

What they really need is for their people to care again, and that means everyone.

KGRB

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:40 am

The AA logo and livery are timeless, but they need to make the brand more interesting. Compare AA's marketing (or lack there of) to DL or the "old UA." A bold, fresh campaign is just what this airline needs.

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
My guess is they will just go with white like the A300s and DC-10s.

The DC-10s weren't white. Perhaps you're thinking of the Ex-Reno Air MD-90s or the Ex-AirCal BAe-146s? Those were both white/gray-ish.

If they do, it will be a shame. I think that the white looks terrible with the red-white-and-blue stripe. My hope is that they'll go with metallic silver, ala NW or VS.

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 4):
I think they may need a slight refresh; new uniforms for staff, updated cutlery and crockery, new seat fabrics and cabin laminates. Things that are far cheaper then new seats or a new brand but show a modern company!

Agreed. They could do leather seat covers like DL did to the PMNW planes and those were relatively inexpensive, but look and feel nice!
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/9E CRJ-900 LGA-MSN January 2020

Lufthansa

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:47 am

AA 's logo and livery aren't the problem.

It's all the other contact points. They can keep they 767/757 with the stripes they use inflight on their signage but what really needs to change is all the contact points with the customer. AA really needs to higher stylists and industrial designers when they're picking things. Take for example check in machines? Look terrible compared to other carriers around the world. Uniforms... once again... even things like seat colours etc. It's fine for economy but up the front they really could do with some more styling. Bulkhead wall laminates. Service counters.. The appearance of all these things says something in the customers mind. Trays used in economy on long haul flights. Everything... AA here without really increasing costs but by paying far greater attn to styling could rally lift its game.

First place I would start would be crew uniforms. They're shockingly out of date and don't make AA look like an International Airline. Which of course they are and which is where the big money is! Then things like plates and cuttlery used... etc. Delta had a good look at these items and look at the improvement!

UA772IAD

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:49 am

It should change, but only if the airline itself institutes major changes (a merger, an expansion, a huge new fleet edition, a new onboard product - to name a few). If the airline simply established a new image, just for the sake of it, right now, it would probably go unnoticed since AA isn't really doing anything new or different (on a large scale).

I believe that the "timelessness" factor of their brand originates from the fact that AA was ahead of the curve the last time they re-branded: using a bold san-serif font, dropping "Airlines" or "Air Lines" from their name (at least in some circumstances), having clean and simple ads that utilised white space- stuff of that nature.

In my opinion, there are a few minor misnomers in their current scheme that they should address. Uniforms and cabin improvements have been mentioned, so here are two different oddities (IMO):

1) The AA "alliteration" (AAliteration) in marketing programs. Clever when it first came out, but really- it looks a spelling error. Also, considering how there appears to be inconsistencies in their brand identity itself (or at least no clear connections from a layman's perspective), using AAs in their program names really appear out of place, and just don't have the "wow factor" (or strong identity) that other airlines have with their brand names .

2) Plastering the website on winglets is something that we on this site notice, more so than the general public, however it still looks incredibly cheap and tacky.

I would argue that marketing is not one of AA's strongest cards, though their planes do look pretty good!

FlyNWA727

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:57 am

Quoting KGRB (Reply 7):
If they do, it will be a shame. I think that the white looks terrible with the red-white-and-blue stripe. My hope is that they'll go with metallic silver, ala NW or VS.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. A metallic color a la Virgin or Northwest, would be really great. White would look cheesy and awful.

I am not a huge fan of AAs livery, like most others appear to be. I do find that when the aircraft is freshly polished and shiny, the AA livery is quite stunning, particularly on the 777s. But a lot of times, AAs aircraft look drab and unpolished which makes the livery look terrible. I would love to see a polished AA aircraft like the JAL Cargo 744s. They seem to use a different method of polishing their aircraft because those JL aircraft looked quite amazing and clean. JLs polished metal looked almost reflective like a mirror. You can sort of see what I'm referring to in the two photos I've posted.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt
View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Waser

First flight aboard a Northwest B727-251ADV out of BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport, my hometown airport.

burnsie28

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:02 am

I would modify the font a bit, Helvetica is on everything these days.

thegoldenargosy

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:17 am

I think AA desperately needs a new uniform. The uniform was already out of date when it was introduced in the late 1990's. It looks very similar to the uniform United had from the early 90's to 2002. The only nice piece of the AA uniform is the dress. The overall uniform is the same recycled 1986 uniform. The gray serving jackets for J class also look so out of date. I think a new uniform would be a great place to start. They need a Delta esque campaign to relaunch themselves. AA seems to be stuck in 2000.

I also think it's very tacky how the Eagle CRJ-700's first class seats are gray, when the coach seats are blue. Couldn't they have matched the colors so it looks more cohesive?

BMI727

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:33 am

Quoting KGRB (Reply 7):
The DC-10s weren't white.

No there were a few white DC-10s as well. I believe that they were leased for a fairly short time from Delta.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

beeweel15

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:14 am

They can update the look. I think these are good for an update but not such a radical change

Aviation-Designs.Net:
Design © R P Abraham
Template © R P Abraham

Aviation-Designs.Net:
Design © R P Abraham
Template © R P Abraham

Aviation-Designs.Net:
Design © Yves Mayer
Template © Yves Mayer

DocLightning

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:39 am

Quoting KGRB (Reply 7):
A bold, fresh campaign is just what this airline needs.

Oh, I think they need more than a simple image campaign.

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 9):

2) Plastering the website on winglets is something that we on this site notice, more so than the general public, however it still looks incredibly cheap and tacky.

that and... it's not necessary. If you know how to use a web browser, you can figure out americanairlines.com or aa.com. Or Google it.

But AA is going to have to change. The days of metal airplanes seems to be over. An increasingly large amount of each new type is painted battleship grey (tails, engines, etc.) The livery is no longer the shining beauty it was.

One interesting scheme would be to adopt a modified NW Bowling Shoe livery, except make the top red, the middle white, and the bottom blue. The AA logo, eagle, and typefont is absolutely classic and cannot change. But a new image could focus on blow-ups of parts of those logos.

But when you do a major image change, you need to be ready with a substance change. And I'm not sure AA is ready for that.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

PI767

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 am

I have to say....American has used the same logo, livery and font for 40 years now. The AA logo and liverey, in my opinion, now rank up there with Pan Am and Coca-Cola as one of the most recognized logos in the world. There are many, many things that American could change but their logo and color scheme is NOT one of them.
"Piedmont. The Model of What a Good Airline Should Be."

Flyingsottsman

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:40 am

Its a classic livery that is so iconic its timeless in avaition. As long as they keep the metal livery, the grey livery they had on their A300s was not a nice looking livery, but its a livery that realy only maybe needs a tweak but not a toltal change.

AirMatt

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:51 am

I have an American Airlines hat that I wear occasionally with the AA logo on it. Nearly every time I wear it, at least one person I come in contact with makes a comment about it, and never negative. In my opinion a change to the logo is absolutely not needed.

I think it would be interesting to see a modified livery (keeping the original logo) at some point, and I believe we'll see it when the 787 is introduced.

As far as their service, I find it to be good. Their domestic first class is far, far superior to Delta and US Airways - the only others I've flown to compare.

I believe coach is mostly the same on all domestic airlines - perhaps the inflight tv offerings could be better on AA, but at least they are installing Wifi (slowly) on their aircraft.

The interiors of their planes are fine, with the exception of the 757's (I wish they would speed up the retrofit) and I guess I'm not a fashion expert, because I'm ok with the uniforms.

Matt

vhtje

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 am

Quoting FlyNWA727 (Reply 10):
I do find that when the aircraft is freshly polished and shiny, the AA livery is quite stunning,

I completely agree. The AA livery is bold, brassy, very American and, really, quite timeless. They do, however, need to keep their aircraft clean in order to get the most out of the livery. They do not do this well enough in my opinion.

I also agree onboard product could do a with a lift. Personally I like the predominate blue hues but the business class seat offered on some aircraft is not competitive.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

Superfly

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:48 pm

Don't change a thing.
Nuff said!!!!!

Would be nice to see the 747-8I in American Airlines livery.
Bring back the Concorde

Tan Flyr

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:42 pm

Quoting sccutler (Reply 1):
I think the AA livery is clean, classic and effective. It looks as good, today, on a 777, as it did when rolled out on 707s

Ditto...NO change needed

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
My guess is they will just go with white like the A300s and DC-10s.

Just a short time of white on a couple of leased DC-10's

Quoting PI767 (Reply 16):
I have to say....American has used the same logo, livery and font for 40 years now. The AA logo and liverey, in my opinion, now rank up there with Pan Am and Coca-Cola as one of the most recognized logos in the world. There are many, many things that American could change but their logo and color scheme is NOT one of them.

Again, Ditto...having just travelled 16 legs totalling over 17,000 miles, I like to see several things:

A bit cleaner planes, particulary in F, and more so on equipment that RON at a station and was not cleaned (wiped down, seats, windows, etc) over night.

Maybe a bit corny...but an attitude towards being "something special" (extra Beverage service when time permits) not just like everyone else..and that would coincide with working darn hard to being "the On Time machine" once again. ..and to accomplish that maybe spend a bit more time checking the little stuff on MD-80's that cause these nuicance delays.

2H4

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 9):
Plastering the website on winglets is something that we on this site notice, more so than the general public, however it still looks incredibly cheap and tacky.

Agreed.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 15):
The days of metal airplanes seems to be over. An increasingly large amount of each new type is painted battleship grey (tails, engines, etc.) The livery is no longer the shining beauty it was.

Also agreed. The livery is migrating away from polished aluminum and toward painted grey. Even on traditionally metal aircraft, due to increasingly composite tail sections, nacelles, wing fairings, etc. The change is inevitable...and unless American wants a dumpy patchwork of mismatched colors, they need to change their livery to accommodate it.
Intentionally Left Blank

tommy767

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:14 am

AA's logo is timeless but it's overall image is decaying. Recalling the AA image back in the 1990s, it was clean, classy, and timeless and reflected a premium airline with a very respectable on board product. These days it's a great and timeless logo, but representing an airline that is clearly lacking behind others (you can make arguments for soft product but hard product is dated.)

My prediction is if AA ever merged with B6 or US, then you would see a drastic logo and image change. Until then I doubt you'll see anything different except for specialty paint schemes and maybe a creative billboard here and there.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA