Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

KFlyer
Topic Author

The Airlines With The Best Pilots?

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Let me start by saying that this thread is not meant at insulting anyone or praising anyone. Let's please keep this thread in high spirit and I beg your pardon if asking this question is wrong.
Which airlines usually have the best pilots ?
What I am not referring to is not crashes. But the airline with the least runway overruns, hard landings or taxiing collisions? And the pilots who have faced serious issues yet brought everyone to the ground safely ( eg: QF32 ) ?
Personally I feel that Qantas and Emirates are probably on top. To be honest, I also have much respect for my national carrier SriLankan's pilots who have never had a crash in its 30+ year history while having faced their fair share of challenges ( including landing and taking off during a gunfire at the airport ).
Your thoughts welcome.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

longhauler

RE: The Airlines With The Best Pilots?

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:34 pm

If you equate pilot capability with safety, then one only has to look at the safety record of a particular airline. There recently was a message thread naming the top 10 airlines. That would probably be a good place to start.

World's Safest Airlines (by laxboeingman Mar 25 2011 in Aviation Polls)
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Coal

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:57 am

Well in my opinion I think SQ has the best. First off, they are very polite when they come on the PA, and give you a lot of information in a very clear voice (unlike Quagmire). Second, most of the landings on SQ are unbelievably smooth and soft, even when landing on the Whalejet!

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

BMI727

Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:09 am

Based on safety, you could better phrase the question as which airlines have poor pilots, as that list would be shorter. Or which airlines have pilots have pilots who are not really pilots at all, like what seems all too common in India.

But, based on the challenges they face, I'd have to nominate Alaska Airlines as having to have some of the better ones in the industry to deal with the destinations and conditions that they do.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

flymia

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:20 am

Really any airline in modern Western Europe or US and Canada seem to have great pilots with how safe it is to fly in those places. But best pilots airlines that come to mind:
WINNAR
Alaska
Airlines which fly to Lukla
Major US airlines IMO have the most experienced.
AA,US,DL ,UA Fed Ex and UPS. The hours and competition it takes to get a job at those airlines is unbelievable
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

AR385

Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:21 am

I would put int the list the Bolivian pilots who flew with LAB, which sadly is no longer around. They flew in some of the most difficult terrain in the world with very limited infrastructure and never had a major accident.

sw733

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:53 pm

I would say there are some "bad" (who aren't really that bad, just not as good as others) pilots at some great airlines, and some great pilots at some crappy airlines.

How about Druk Air? Flying in to that airport in Bhutan takes some skillz (yes, with a z)

Quoting Coal (Reply 2):
(unlike Quagmire)

God I love that video. Headwinds suck...

LGWflyer

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I'd say British pilots are the best (haha very biased i know). Anyway I think there are loads of great pilots for loads of airlines all over the world.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

PlunaCRJ

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
I would put int the list the Bolivian pilots who flew with LAB, which sadly is no longer around. They flew in some of the most difficult terrain in the world with very limited infrastructure and never had a major accident.

I agree, I always thought the LAB pilots had great airmanship. Let's remember for example the incident in which a LAB 727 crash landed in the jungle with no loss of life whatsover. It's quite sad they are no longer around.

Transpac787

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Quoting Coal (Reply 2):
Well in my opinion I think SQ has the best.

I find it hysterical you think there is a direct, scientific correlation between giving a polite (??) PA and piloting skills.

BMI727

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:54 am

Quoting Transpac787 (Reply 9):
I find it hysterical you think there is a direct, scientific correlation between giving a polite (??) PA and piloting skills

Nobody defined what makes one pilot better than another. And in a world of airlines with generally stellar safety records, it might be necessary to look at other factors.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ThirtyEcho

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:13 am

I've always found it strange that passengers judge a pilot's skill by the smoothness of the landing. A flight deck crew flies 18 hours across the Pacific ocean and the landing in Bangkok is the measure of their skill? I think not.

To me, the best pilots know that the Coanda Effect is what makes a plane fly and, only secondarily, Bernoulli's Principle.
Having thrown a skunk into the sweat lodge, I retire.

ZKSUJ

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:20 am

I don't think we can judge any an airline to say who has the best pilots and who doesn't. Alot of things come intop play and you cannot single out an airline to be superior to another in this respect. All airlines have incidents, alot of it un-reported so we can't single them out