Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cloudboy
Topic Author

Flying Tomorrow (5/2) What To Expect

Mon May 02, 2011 4:12 am

I am going to be flying back home tomorrow. With the news about Osama Bin Laden being killed in an American Attack, that means terrorist alerts are going to be sky high. What should I expect? I know to be at the airport extra early, do you think they are going to tighten rules why flying on anything?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

mirrodie

RE: Flying Tomorrow (5/2) What To Expect

Mon May 02, 2011 4:20 am

The TSA will all be fired on the spot and sent home, gas prices will drop and all will be allowed to take photos of planes again.

Seriously, it will be business as usual. Lots of smoke and mirrors and the same security you saw on your outbound.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Elevated

Mon May 02, 2011 4:20 am

I can just imagine how many people are now calling the airlines to see if security has changed. Relax and just be early to the airport. Simple.

Expect business as usual.

alasizon

Mon May 02, 2011 4:21 am

The only change I would expect tomorrow is increase in use of body scanners.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

NathanH

Mon May 02, 2011 4:26 am

I just went through security at SJC. No changes that I could see, but maybe it is just too early. Then again, the appropriate people were probably notified before the announcement, so changes could have trickled down already.

kgaiflyer

Mon May 02, 2011 4:36 am

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 3):
The only change I would expect tomorrow is increase in use of body scanners.

I went through the TSA "Diamond" checkpoint at Washington-Dulles 5am Saturday morning and was surprised to see the 'backscatter' machine turned off and the magnatrometer 'doorway' turned on -- twice the usual number of blue-shirts for that time in the morning -- and a special interest in men wearing jewelry and neck-chains.

No, it wasn't my imagination -- but I don't know what it all meant.

Aeroflot001

Mon May 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 5):
I went through the TSA "Diamond" checkpoint at Washington-Dulles 5am Saturday morning and was surprised to see the 'backscatter' machine turned off and the magnatrometer 'doorway' turned on -- twice the usual number of blue-shirts for that time in the morning -- and a special interest in men wearing jewelry and neck-chains.

Let me speak off topic for a second here but is the Diamond checkpoint suppossed to be for the elite or special? We returned our car and the shuttle dropped us off right in front of the entrance that leads to the checkpoint.Since it said Diamond I assumed it was a first class checkpoint however we were happily waved through and dealt with some very nice however slooooooow TSA agents.

cloudboy
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Not that anyone can find this forum, but just in case...

Went through Denver security this morning. No lines, but lots of security. And they were watching things carefully - I got the full pat-down feel-up procedure. Fortunately I decided to come to the airport extra early.

Sounds like things are still a bit slow to react - I can foresee security getting tighter soon.
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

kgaiflyer

Tue May 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 6):
Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 5):
I went through the TSA "Diamond" checkpoint at Washington-Dulles 5am Saturday morning and was surprised to see the 'backscatter' machine turned off and the magnetometer 'doorway' turned on -- twice the usual number of blue-shirts for that time in the morning -- and a special interest in men wearing jewelry and neck-chains.

Let me speak off topic for a second here but is the Diamond checkpoint supposed to be for the elite or special? We returned our car and the shuttle dropped us off right in front of the entrance that leads to the checkpoint.Since it said Diamond I assumed it was a first class checkpoint however we were happily waved through and dealt with some very nice however slooooooow TSA agents.

The Dulles-Diamond Checkpoint went up when the "Clear Traveler" service came down.

It advertises itself as the TSA entrance for experienced flyers. The following description is from the Washington's MWAA web site.

"Dulles Diamond Screening Checkpoint"

This checkpoint is designated to speed experienced adult travelers through the security screening process. The checkpoint is downstairs on the Arrivals (bag claim) Level of the Main Terminal.

This service will also help to reduce wait times at the Main Passenger Screening Checkpoints.

Please note the traveler criteria for using these lanes:

Expert adult traveler (2 or more trips per month)
Traveling alone
Up to one carry-on item
Security ready (3-1-1 for liquids/gels, laptops out of the case, shoes off)
Customers in wheelchairs may also use the Dulles Diamond Checkpoint.

Families, passengers traveling with children, pets, and other passengers with special needs should use the Main Passenger Screening Checkpoint by following signs "TO ALL GATES." Employees, including Flight Crew, should use the Employee Screening Checkpoint.