Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

markitaly2000
Topic Author

Emirates Service Going Down Down Down

Thu May 05, 2011 3:12 pm

I ve been flying EK very frequently since 2002. How special i felt on the first flights ... I was lucky enough to fly Rome-Duba in Business Class every other week, I became Gold very quickly and was getting addicted to the service.

How nice to walk at the check-in counter, they remmeber you, they say Hi Mr xxx, how are you ? On board they came to greet me with "welcome back, anything to drink" ...I knew what to expect, what the food would be and how special the service would make me feel.

In 2005 i have experienced engine explosion on 345 at take off, they left us on the gound for 5 hours (it was midnight at the time of rejected tack-off), lost my business meeting ... flew AZ to Rome and tried again the following week on a FCO-DXB. All on board, something is wrong, flight cancelled. I jumped on the QR beside me (again buying a ticket last second not to loose my not postponable again meeting) ...
I wrote a super strong letter to EK and in response i got 50.000 Miles as a gestour of appreciation, permanent upgrades on the FCO-DXB forom business to first and the reimbursement of both JFK-DXB and FCO-DXB ..... WOW

Then i moved to DXB. Kept flying with them experiencing their growth, which unfortunately meant lower service ... but not , 2011 is too low !
10 abreast on B777, the gates are NEVER available, so from MXP (crappy A340-300!!!) they always park you in Sharja, nobody that greets you when you walk in. When you are in economy they removed the footrest to save and your feet are not touch ing the pavement of the plane correctly. As gold member i can't bring a guest at the lounge anymore !!! Food service is like a normal airline. ICE IFE is great but on both ways DXB-IST_DXB it was malfunctioning and nobody bothered to say something ...They even replaced the nice plastic name tags with stickers ... and that is not because the 80s' are back in fashion.
and they just increased the fares between 15 and 20% ....for fuel surcharge. Now, that is being cheap !

I do not feel special anymore and I am paying more ...

Who is a real premium airline really in 2011 ? ?

loalq

RE: Emirates Service Going Down Down Down

Thu May 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Good question...I have asked this myself after moving to Singapore and experiencing with SQ on all types of aircraft and routes. I must say I am really impressed with their service...

...in economy.

In Business, nothing really grabs my attention considering the huge price they command over other airlines. The "bench" seat on the A380 and 77W is very uncomfortable in my opinion, and the fact that you can't lower your seat to flat position without standing only makes things worse. Food is nothing remarkable. And the cabin crew with that eternal "I just started on this job 2 days ago" look doesn't add to the experience at all. They don't even provide an amenity kit, just that awful hospital-like sock...KF lounges in SIN, nothing special...and the "famous" Singapore girl...c'mon...

In economy at least they give the impression that they offer more dignity than other carriers.

I like BA, they have always been nice to me, have upgraded me on about 40% of my long haul flights (economy to premium to club to first, all the possibilities) even when I was silver on EC and they sell upgrades at reasonable prices on check in. And their crews are almost always nice. Well, you have the occasional risk of having a strike spoil your travel plans and I definitively try to avoid LHR on peak and winter periods, but again, no airline is perfect...
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

markitaly2000
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2011 3:42 pm

I agree in all you wrote ... i love SQ but it is not the SQ that it used to be !

You what i enjoyed last year the new LX seat...I ll try it again this summer. ZRH airpot is a pleasure to connect, cabin crew are very professional and the feeling of flying a neutral country flag carrier is great !
I am paying with my LH miles and thank God I could avoid that tragic lie-flat seat of LH. Can you imagin paying the same fare of a full flat LX seat and have to go to SFO in that LH thing ?

But, the new B/A club world seat ?!!? Are they getting cheap too ?? the quality is a disaster and on the 747 there is so much space wasted ... WHY ? Where is the attention to the pax ?

blueflyer

Thu May 05, 2011 3:48 pm

Is it me or do some of your complaints seem to stem from the fact you downgraded from business to coach?

Quoting markitaly2000 (Thread starter):

Qatar Airways. Can't say I fly Emirates as much as you do (no more than a handful a year if that), and that may be why I haven't noticed a profound change in the quality of service but I'd take Qatar over Emirates any day. Not that Emirates is bad, but Qatar is better.

Jest aside, I think expecting to be recognized by sight when checking in at a hub is a bit much, even if one travels every other week. It should definitively be appreciated if and when it happens, but Emirates has undergone so much growth over the past few years that they have brought in probably hundreds of new check-in agents and the likelihood that they schedule their employees to work the same flights from week to week is slim to none, I would think.

Over the past couple of years, I used to fly weekly or every other week to LHR on BA from DFW for months at a time, and some people on the BA ground staff at DFW got to recognize me, but they have only one flight a day. I never received, or expected to receive, the same treatment from BA in LHR for obvious reasons...

markitaly2000
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2011 3:55 pm

hey Bluefyer , thank you for commenting my post ...

I did not downgrade, but i fly in the region it happens i take Economy and since they use long haul planes on short haul routes i could see all the classed on every plane type .

I do not care to be recognize at check in, that is an unexpected plus at smaller airports. I receive the same treatment of you in DFW with Ba but in MXP with EK.

What i mean is that the cabin crew is trained to see on their papers who is GOLD and or High Value Customer (i am lucky enough to be both). After everyone is seated, the pass by the cabin to say "hi welcome again Mr xxx" ... They stopped doing it last year. I miss it and it is a sign that they are saving (time, money, whatever) but the focus is not on PASSENGER anymore.

And i agree immensely ...QR is much better, especially the 777 with 9 abreast in the back and an incredibly generous pitch in Business/first. And the fares are cheaper ...

loalq

Thu May 05, 2011 4:01 pm

The window seat in BA Club World is about as good as it gets because you can raise the divider and feel like there is no one else around. It is like the poor man's suite for me (well, not really poor considering the price of those tickets).

Agree with LH seats, but their service is very profissional, I like it. And they accept to fly short-nosed dogs in their planes, what I have to do from time to time (SQ does not carry dogs on the A380 and anyway does not fly short-nosed ones at all). BA only flies dogs as cargo (in freight planes).
"...this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped."

stylo777

Thu May 05, 2011 4:17 pm

counterquestion: what do you consider as "premium"?

- is it the aircraft type?
- or the inflight entertainment?
- or the seat comfort?
- or quality and service-orientation of the onboard crew?
- or the choice of multiple 5-star cuisine meals?
- or the ground product with sophisticated technology?
- or services like seperate terminals, lounges, etc?
- what about the frequent flyer program?
- or the benefits of being a loyal customer?
- or something more "simple" and "soft" like recognition, respect and attention?

the aviation industry has changed and nothing is the same as used to be 1-2 decades ago. actually, buying a ticket as a customer is "only" a transportaion promise between A and B; however, passenger in recent years demand more and more, but the willingness to pay in the same time has go down tremendously. the industry is one of the least profitable and yielding of all sectors. on top of that the dependancy to the global world economy always show significant effects resulting in consolidations, bankruptcies and most of all cost-cuttings. unfortunately the premium part of that business have undergone the same alterations and your examples are a perfect proof for that: 2002-2005-2009-2011...
to answer the question I think everybody has to ask himself for what I want to pay the "premium", only than you would be able to figure out the ideal perfect airline, because nowadays every airline has got some strengths, but also some weak points.

markitaly2000
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Exhactly ! This is the question :"I think everybody has to ask himself for what I want to pay the "premium"...

What is it ? for which features, which experiences are we willing to pay that premium ?

Airlines like QATAR has never forgot to focus on customer experience ,even in recession times (if there was a recession in QR)

9v-svc

Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 pm

Even myself that flew on SQ lately is very disappointed with the service so far, robotic service you can called it, you cannot feel that they are willing to serve you, its more of "I wish I wasn't there" that kind of attitude! I just need to fly SQ's 333,773 and the future 350 and 787, then I think I will be done with them, will fly with other airlines that appreciate my business.
Airliners is the wings of my life.

draigonair

Thu May 05, 2011 5:30 pm

Hey guys,

I have been flying SQ for a long time and decided to try Emirates. Well as said above, the service was not good. The cabin crew was not very polite. For example, it would be nice to ask a passenger if you would like to have diner and which choice you would like. But what happened was just ''chick or beef'' and slamed the tray in front of me after i choose one of them. I mean come on, it doesn't take much to just ask ''Hello would you like diner, the choice is chick or beef''. I think it has to do with the fact that they need to many new cabin crew that the quality goes down because they just dont know where to get them!
Also getting in DXB wasn't great. It was my second time into DXB and both times we had no gate!

I flew sq last month from Amsterdam to Bali and it was good. Happy smiles on board so that was nice! Was glad to have flown with them again.

cheers!

Nick
cheers

shankly

Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm

For me EK offer a very good Business product at an superb price.

My regular route is LHR-CPT. I now do it via DXB with EK as the fare is nearly half than of BA and SAA.

Also get chaeuffer pick up and drop off and, pre-boarding dining at LHR and direct from lounge boarding. Also, if using EK001-004 I get the wonderful A380

In 2005 i have experienced engine explosion on 345 at take off, they left us on the gound for 5 hours

. I doubt there is an airline in the world who could rustle up a replacement aircraft quickly after such an incident. Big deal you lost your business meet. At least you walked off the plane thanks to the professionalism of the crew
L1011 - P F M

Quokka

Sun May 15, 2011 8:02 am

I have just returned from a trip from PER to HAM with EK in J and I was certainly not disappointed.

The only quibble I had was that for some reason the Manage a Booking Page wouldn't save changes to seat allocations. I had to phone the EK reservations number but the call was answered promptly in a courteous and professional manner. When using the online Check-in I was unable to complete the process without entering visa details, even though no visa was necessary, so I just selected Australia as the country of issue and 000000 as the number. I was then able to print boarding passes.

The service at the airport, in the lounge and on-board the aircraft on all sectors was cheerful and considerate. I was travelling with my mother who requires wheelchair assistance and every effort was made to make her journey safe and pleasant. We even got an on-board upgrade FOC to F on the sector DXB - HAM!

The meals were tasty and attractively arranged, although the cheese selection on PER - HAM was disappointing. Instead of being able to choose from a platter small plates with two wrapped pieces of cheese and some crackers were offered. On the DXB - HAM and return the traditional platter was available. However, on my return sector DXB - HAM the delightful Cassie organised a larger selection of fruit and cheese as that is all I wanted for my meal.

Cassie was also thoughtful in putting a small bottle of cognac in her pocket for about an hour to remove the chill before serving. I found that all we had to do was ask and nothing was too much trouble.

By coincidence Angela, who was on the sector DXB - HAM, also travelled on the DXB - PER sector and when she discovered that we were on board she came to see us and see whether we enjoyed our trip. She then said "I will be right back: I won't to fetch you something." She came back with an Emirates Holiday bag in which she had placed some miniature bottles of cognac, Cointreau, assorted nuts (fortunately Australian quarantine allowed us to keep them) and various other goodies.

So why the special favours? Maybe it is just that we are lucky. Maybe it is because of the way we treat the EK crew as friends and part of ther family. Either way, we had no cause to complain on our flights.