Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aeroflot001
Topic Author

Travelling/Checking In With 2 Passports

Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 pm

I realize that many people around the world carry 2 passports due to dual nationality and the rule of thumb is you enter and exit with the same country however I was curious as to how check in and Visa procedures work. For example.

A dual citizen of the US and Argentina living in the US travels to Argentina he presents the US pasport at check-in and at the gate then upon arrival at EZE present his Argentine passport to Immigration, when returning to the US however he has to present his US passport to check in to prove that he can enter the US however when going through exit immigration dosent the argentine passport have to be presented? If so won't they know that you checked in with a US passport and won't the immigration officer ask for your Visa? If so you would probably have to show both your passports, Upon arrival in the US may the immigration officer ask you something if he notices a lack of stamps in the US passport?

Another issues that also came to mind is using your dual nationality to your advantage to avoid the need for certain visas, For example the same person travels from MIA to Moscow and presents his Argentine passport to Russian Authorites (thanks to a recent visit of President Kirchner to Russia Visas are no longer required to travel between both countries) may there be any issues if they realize you are also a US citizen upon exiting Russia?

Thankyou for any of your input, I have always been curious about this, Thankyou very much guys 

signol

RE: Travelling/Checking In With 2 Passports

Mon May 23, 2011 2:34 pm

My wife is a dual national UK - South Africa, and we regularly travel between the two.
As you say, she enters and exits each country with that country's passport. So exit UK on UK passport, enter SA on SA passport. Depart SA on SA passport, enter UK on UK passport. Since the UK now requires SA citizens to acquire tourist visas in advance, at the gate in JNB there was an additional check for passport / visa requirements. It is only at this point that she would show the UK passport, as proof of status to enter the UK (well Schengen actually as we were flying KL to AMS). SA emigration controls do not care about visa requirements into other countries - only that you have left SA, and not outstayed you visa (if not SA citizen).

In your second example, why would they also know you are also a US citizen? As far as Russian immigration is concerned, you are an Argentine, that is all.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

AF340

Mon May 23, 2011 3:07 pm

My example. APIS has made travelling on two passports more confusing.

I travel between the UK and Canada very regularly and am a citizen of both. When I am going to the UK I check-in using my British passport (because of APIS) and show my British passport upon landing at LHR or anywhere in the EU. On the way back I check-in using my Canadian passport (due to APIS) and show my British passport throughout security (probably pointless to do, but whatever). Upon landing in Canada I show my Canadian passport.

I've done this for dozens of flights since I got my British passport about a year ago and I've never had a problem.

If I go through an airport that has departure immigration (as in if I were in the UK and British officials checked my passport as I were leaving LHR), then I would show my British passport.

Some countries (like the US and Canada) insist that you show your US/Canadian passport when entering those countries if you possess one. That means I can't technically enter Canada on my UK passport.

Confusing, but it works for me...

Aeroflot001
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2011 3:17 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 1):

Maybe Russian immigration may not find out but won't the agent at the SVO/DME check for a US Visa which won't be in the argentine passport thus forcing you to show the US passport?

Flyer732

Mon May 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 3):
Maybe Russian immigration may not find out but won't the agent at the SVO/DME check for a US Visa which won't be in the argentine passport thus forcing you to show the US passport?

My girlfriend is dual Russian/US. She goes back to Russia several times a year. When she checks in in the US, she uses her US passport, but shows her Russian passport so they won't question the lack of visa. On arrival in Russia, she simply shows her Russian passport.
On her departure, she checks in using her US passport, but again shows the Russian so the agents don't question the lack of visa. At immigration, she shows her Russian only.

Everything is quick and painless.

LAXintl

Mon May 23, 2011 4:08 pm

Well since there is no real exit formalities in the US, in your case of heading to Argentina, I would exit the US on the Argentine passport and ensure the agent swipes that for the APIS info.
From work experience I know APIS is quite important for the authorities and if you show up as someone else than what they expected this can cause differing levels of confusion.

If an airline agent asks how you got to the US, or if you have somesort of US visa, simply tell then you are a US citizen also. But remember airline agents are not immigration officers and their knowledge and understanding can vary greatly, but their job is to ensure you are legal to visit your destination, not so much worry about leaving the US.

Having multiple passports allows people to mix/match to benefit from visa requirements or what is preferable locally, and I would basically concur and follow what AF340 does.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

andz

Mon May 23, 2011 4:26 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 1):
My wife is a dual national UK - South Africa, and we regularly travel between the two.
As you say, she enters and exits each country with that country's passport. So exit UK on UK passport, enter SA on SA passport. Depart SA on SA passport, enter UK on UK passport. Since the UK now requires SA citizens to acquire tourist visas in advance, at the gate in JNB there was an additional check for passport / visa requirements. It is only at this point that she would show the UK passport, as proof of status to enter the UK (well Schengen actually as we were flying KL to AMS). SA emigration controls do not care about visa requirements into other countries - only that you have left SA, and not outstayed you visa (if not SA citizen).

Exactly the same as me, I am also dual national. My wife is South African so for the first time we had to get her a visa for our UK trip coming up in June. What a money-making racket  
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

baroque

Mon May 23, 2011 4:43 pm

Standard practice in Aus to leave on an Aus passport and esp for Europe to spend the next couple of weeks - or whatever - on a 747 (I have tried to switch to A380s now more room to spend the fortnight!) and return, never apparently having been anywhere at all. I did ask an immigration person once about this, and he said something like, "usual practice".

Also most S American countries will let you in visa free with an EU passport, but you need the Aus one to get back in to Aus. Having two allows you to pick and choose if any given country is being more difficult than usual with one of the countries. Still better to have two if you want to visit Israel or Taiwan and it used to be that Aus would issue you with two Aus ones for this purpose.

I managed to lose my Aus passport in Chile while boarding for Aus and was "let back in" on the basis of a photocopy of my Aus passport, my EU passport and a strange document issued in Auckland on my way.

At one stage I had three passports including an Aus official passport. But with that one, you could not swap around.

Aeroflot001
Topic Author

Mon May 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Quoting AF340 (Reply 2):
My example. APIS has made travelling on two passports more confusing.

I travel between the UK and Canada very regularly and am a citizen of both. When I am going to the UK I check-in using my British passport (because of APIS) and show my British passport upon landing at LHR or anywhere in the EU. On the way back I check-in using my Canadian passport (due to APIS) and show my British passport throughout security (probably pointless to do, but whatever). Upon landing in Canada I show my Canadian passport.

Thankyou

Quoting Flyer732 (Reply 4):
My girlfriend is dual Russian/US. She goes back to Russia several times a year. When she checks in in the US, she uses her US passport, but shows her Russian passport so they won't question the lack of visa. On arrival in Russia, she simply shows her Russian passport.
On her departure, she checks in using her US passport, but again shows the Russian so the agents don't question the lack of visa. At immigration, she shows her Russian only.

Everything is quick and painless.

Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thankyou!

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 5):

Well since there is no real exit formalities in the US, in your case of heading to Argentina, I would exit the US on the Argentine passport and ensure the agent swipes that for the APIS info.
From work experience I know APIS is quite important for the authorities and if you show up as someone else than what they expected this can cause differing levels of confusion.

Thankyou for that advice but Pardon my ignorance what is APIS and what does it do?

signol

Mon May 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 3):

From our SA experience, the emigration officials don't care where you are going. The airline checks for itself, as they will be liable to transport you back if you don't have the visa.

Quoting Andz (Reply 6):

Indeed, apparently due to the number of forged SA passports. My mother in law is visiting this summer and had to get a visa for the 1st time. Quick and painless, but costs...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Coal

Tue May 24, 2011 7:11 am

I have a US and a Dutch passport. I only use the Dutch passport when traveling to the EU if the EU line is shorter... It's called optionality.

As for checking for stamps? Well, in my case there are waaay too many (have addedd extra pages twice) from many dodgy countries for them to notice or care.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

Quokka

Tue May 24, 2011 7:32 am

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 8):
what is APIS

Advanced Passenger Information, collected by the airlines and provided to the authorities in some countries so that those countries can check whether you are on a no-fly list or might be a potential terrorist.

Depending on which country is concerned it may include things like your name, date of birth, nationality, passport number, date of issue and expiry, visa details (if applicable),how you made your booking, how you paid, credit card number if paid by credit card, name of travel agency if not booked with airline directly, seat number assigned, any special requests or meals, any changes to the original booking, etc, etc.

Aeroflot001
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2011 11:47 am

Quoting Quokka (Reply 11):
Advanced Passenger Information, collected by the airlines and provided to the authorities in some countries so that those countries can check whether you are on a no-fly list or might be a potential terrorist.

Thankyou   

Quoting Coal (Reply 10):
As for checking for stamps? Well, in my case there are waaay too many (have addedd extra pages twice) from many dodgy countries for them to notice or care.

Ive heard that a CBP officer can begin to question why youve been to certain places even when you return on a completely separate trip.

Coal

Wed May 25, 2011 2:53 am

Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 12):
Ive heard that a CBP officer can begin to question why youve been to certain places even when you return on a completely separate trip.

I know. I've been asked before how come I have stamps for Qatar, Brunei, Indonesia, Sabah, and why do I have at least one stamp on every page for Malaysia and China. I usually say I am rich beyond imagination and I travel a lot. Some find it amusing, others don't. They can all go ...... themselves   

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

SGSufu

Re: Travelling/Checking In With 2 Passports

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:40 pm

I have US Passport and a passport from Africa. They have different given names but same surname. Let's say I wanted to travel from US to the country in Africa I hold nationality. That nation requires US citizens to apply for a visa prior to going there. I obviously use the info from my African passport to book and check in. My African passport has not been used to enter the US or has any travel stamps/visas in it, it is blank. What are the outcomes of going through TSA leaving the US with a US Passport and the African passport? Thanks.

neutrino

Re: RE: Travelling/Checking In With 2 Passports

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:37 am

Coal wrote:
Quoting Aeroflot001 (Reply 12):..... I usually say I am rich beyond imagination and I travel a lot. Some find it amusing, others don't. They can all go ...... themselves   

Cheers
Coal

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Excuse me for sort of hijacking the thread but the only times I falsely professed to be super wealthy was when I get calls from scammers saying Iv'e won lotteries or other valuable prizes.
Told them I really don't need any extra money as even a million dollars is chump change but they can do me a favor by claiming my "winnings" on my behalf and keep it for themselves as my gift to them. Some just slammed down the phone whilst others muttered curses.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

XAM2175

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:59 am

SGSufu wrote:
I have US Passport and a passport from Africa. They have different given names but same surname.

Is it wrong of me to ask why this is the case?

hvusslax

Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 am

I have worked in border control in a Schengen country and I have seen that many dual nationals get very confused by the exit control. Many seem to assume that the Schengen exit control has something to do with entering the US/Canada/whatever and only present their non-European passports. Those passports may have no entry stamps at all if these travelers used the European passport to enter the Schengen area or they may only have old stamps if they are living in Europe. Either scenario makes one look like an overstayer and leads to questioning that wouldn't be necessary if the dual-national just presents their European passport immediately.

sirdanilot

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:18 am

I use my EU passport in most cases, except when entering Brazil then I use that passport. IT allows me to use the quicker immigration line so it's great Also need no visas etc. In fact Brazilian law requires Brazilian citizens to enter using a Brazilian travel document. I also show it when leaving Brazil (otherwise they ask where the visa/immigration/etc. is).

Once when checking in my flight leaving Brazil, I entered a passport during online check in but showed the wrong one at the check in counter (whoops !). That created LOTS of confusion and the (to be honest not very bright) gate agent called for assistance and everything took a long time. And to boot he wanted to check my bag only to LHR at first rather than all the way to my destination, it took a lot of time to let him realize that my connection at LHR was 24 hours shorter than he thought (apparently he can't read? :') )

When leaving schengen I have always only showed my EU passport, they never asked for a Brazil visa when boarding flights to brazil. So what if I didn't have a brazilian passport, how could I enter Brazil :')

sirdanilot

Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:20 am

There are political movements in my country that want to get rid of double nationalities. But I could flush my brazilian passport down the toilet, I would still be a Brazilian. I can't do anything about it, haha. In fact I had a period in my life where I didn't have the brazilian passport at all (expired and didn't go there for some years) but when I went back I just requested a new one.

YYZSpotter1991

Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:30 pm

As my mother's an Uruguayan national I have the ability to become a naturalized Uruguayan citizen and thus obtain that country's passport, which combined with my native Canadian passport would allow me to visit virtually every country in South America visa-free (except Suriname, which requires you to pay for a visa on arrival when using a Canadian passport as well as a need to get a visa beforehand with an Uruguayan one). This would enable me to bypass the obscenely-high visa costs for traveling to Brazil and Chile ($160 and $135 CAD each; although the requirement for Brazil is temporarily relaxed due to the upcoming Rio games) as well as Argentina's visa fee ($15-30 for non-South American nationals). How this would work is if I wanted to go to Brazil from Canada, I'd leave with my Canadian passport, then present my Uruguayan passport upon arrival in Brazil.

Additionally, I have the ability to become an Israeli passport holder as I would qualify under the Israeli Law of Return. Using that passport I could bypass the visa requirements of a few other countries - notably Russia (having an Israeli passport gives you an exemption from having to obtain both a Russian visa as well as a Russian tourist card; both of which are needed and costly). The downside of that is that if I wanted to visit Israel in the future (I currently use my Canadian passport; since 2013 Israel no longer stamps passports) I'd only be allowed to enter/leave the country via that passport and because I'm of age, I'd have to serve in the army unless I obtain a military exemption certificate from the consulate beforehand. One of my Israeli cousins went to Thailand last year via AMM and DOH and was able to connect through the latter due to his Polish passport, which can be obtained by anyone descended from Holocaust survivors.

As the general rule goes, use your original passport to leave/arrive in your country of origin and you can use the second passport to arrive/leave your destination.
Toronto-based flyer since 1997

Viscount724

Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:41 am

SGSufu wrote:
I have US Passport and a passport from Africa. They have different given names but same surname. Let's say I wanted to travel from US to the country in Africa I hold nationality. That nation requires US citizens to apply for a visa prior to going there. I obviously use the info from my African passport to book and check in. My African passport has not been used to enter the US or has any travel stamps/visas in it, it is blank. What are the outcomes of going through TSA leaving the US with a US Passport and the African passport? Thanks.

How did you find this 5-year-old thread to resurrect it? I wish people to resurrect old threads would mention it so you don't start reading a long thread from the beginning before realizing it's a few years old

Re your question, the U.S (like Canada) has no departure controls so I don't see why there would be any issue as long as the name on whatever document you present at the security checkpoint has the same name as your airline ticket.

pipeafcr

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:26 pm

Colombia requires that their citizens enter and exit with a Colombian passport, or at least enter with their national ID card. If for some reason they cannot provide a Colombian passport but have dual citizenship, they can use their other passport but have to pay a fine of one minimum wage (happened to me once). I never get checked for stamps when returning to the states even though I only present my US passport and I am a frequent traveler between both Colombia and the US.

Aeroflot001 wrote:
Another issues that also came to mind is using your dual nationality to your advantage to avoid the need for certain visas, For example the same person travels from MIA to Moscow and presents his Argentine passport to Russian Authorites (thanks to a recent visit of President Kirchner to Russia Visas are no longer required to travel between both countries) may there be any issues if they realize you are also a US citizen upon exiting Russia? 

I entered Russia with my Colombian passport (Russia doesn't require visas for most S.American citizens, doesn't have to do just solely because of Kirchner) and exited from Russia as well with my Colombian passport, I did however present my US passport at the airline check-in since I was flying to New York. The migration officers in the US nor Russia seemed to care about the lack of visas in the passports I presented.

I do use the advantage of having two passports frequently, I use my Colombian passport when traveling to the Schengen Area, Turkey, Russia, S. Korea and all of LatAm and I use the US one when traveling to/through the US and Canada. Never had any issues regarding dual nationality and taking an advantage of it.
Felipe Carrillo

Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:23 am

First of all congratulations for this posting, not only is it interesting but also important.

Basic opinion I have is, it all depends passports of [i]what[i] countries you have and from where to where you are flying.

Some countries do not accept you to even have two nationalities disregarding from where they are.

Some countries request you to report you have two nationalities.

Basic rule over the thumb: Inquire before you travel, because each trip is unique. Brazil for instance does not allow you to travel in with one international travel document and leave with a different one. You must use same for entry-exit. They don´t mind you to have two nationalities, but do politely request use same for the trip when arriving-departure. It´s logic. They register you as citizen from country X and you leave as country Y, so where did X stay?

Personal experience.