Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alsberg
Topic Author

LH Question

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm booked on a UA reward ticket in business class, and Monday is the first leg of my trip ORD-DUS. I'm currently routed through MUC, and on the 20:50 flight out of ORD. LH said on the phone that they have availability on the 16:35 from ORD-DUS non-stop, but I need to call UA to change it. When I called UA to ask them if they can change it, they couldn't. I don't live far from ORD, so if I showed up and there is still availability on the non-stop would they let me on it?

eric

RE: LH Question

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 am

Why would you want to get on the plane at 4:35 when you get on later. Take the sleep versus the direct flight...
n

alsberg
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:29 am

Quoting eric (Reply 1):
Take the sleep versus the direct flight...

Good way to look at it...I'll be tired the day I arrive regardless of whether I get to DUS in the morning or afternoon.

AR385

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 pm

LH will take care of you. Just call them on the day of departure to THEIR LINE IN Germany. But, it has to be on the day of departure. They upgraded me for free to F from C, even though my ticket was from CO.

alsberg
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 3):
They upgraded me for free to F from C, even though my ticket was from CO.

Did you use an upgrade or miles? If there's some way you talked them into it, please let me know... 

AR385

Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:30 pm

CO told me that I needed 15,000 extra miles to upgrade. I had already used all my miles with them, so they gave me the option to to purchase them. That would have been $500 USD according to the OnePass rules at that time (December 2010)Money I was not going to cough up.

So, with my boarding pass already assigned with my seat I went to one of the LH C lounges at FRA and explained the situation. I basically said, I want to go on F and CO is charging me $500 extra USD. The lady at the desk just gave me the upgrade, smiling and saying, here you go, and for free!

Probably, C was full and they would have had to do the upgrades anyway. It was a FRA-MEX flight. But, during the flight, I toured the 744 and C was not full, and F had at least 6 open seats. I guess I was just lucky when I asked and the lady was just in a good mood.

Try the same. Just be well dressed, be polite, try to be engaging, smile, and don´t tell any stupid story that "you need some extra space due to some condition you have". Just be honest.

As my father always said: It never hurts to try.

alsberg
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 5):
Try the same. Just be well dressed, be polite, try to be engaging, smile, and don´t tell any stupid story that "you need some extra space due to some condition you have". Just be honest.

As my father always said: It never hurts to try.

That's a good idea, I'm not going to pay a ton, but I'd love to get up front tomorrow on LH!

alsberg
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Also, do you think it would help to mention that the UA agents were rather rude on the phone when responding to a simple question?

AR385

Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Quoting alsberg (Reply 7):
Also, do you think it would help to mention that the UA agents were rather rude on the phone when responding to a simple question?

If it is true. Tell them. They probably know already. If it´s not true, well, you know Karma´s a bitch. Also, if in the first lounge they don´t give you what you want, try the same in another. I truly believe the decision rests on the person that´s behind the desk. Although she did make a phone call. But remember, it has to be in the LH lounge.

alsberg
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:33 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 8):
But remember, it has to be in the LH lounge.

It's true, so I'll probably mention it. LH uses the UA lounges at ORD. If I remember correctly though, LH has staff members at the desks. Think this'll cause more problems?

AR385

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:22 am

No, just talk to an LH staff. But frankly, yourchances would be greater in FRA. If it doesn´t work, try it in FRA.

alsberg
Topic Author

Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:23 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 10):
No, just talk to an LH staff. But frankly, yourchances would be greater in FRA. If it doesn´t work, try it in FRA.

I don't really expect it to work, but I'll try it in MUC

AR385

Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:41 am

Let me know how it goes!!

thegman

Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:37 am

It is likely because it is a UA reward ticket on UA metal. Why would UA pay for you to fly on LH?

zrs70

Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:40 am

Quoting alsberg (Thread starter):
I'm booked on a UA reward ticket in business class, and Monday is the first leg of my trip ORD-DUS. I'm currently routed through MUC, and on the 20:50 flight out of ORD. LH said on the phone that they have availability on the 16:35 from ORD-DUS non-stop, but I need to call UA to change it. When I called UA to ask them if they can change it, they couldn't. I don't live far from ORD, so if I showed up and there is still availability on the non-stop would they let me on it?

As you have a UA award ticket, changes officially can only be made through UA. It could be that LH has award inventory in their system, but it is not being made available to UA. Thus the response from the UA agent.
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

alsberg
Topic Author

Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:04 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 12):
Let me know how it goes!

No luck, I went to ORD at 1 pm (the DUS flight leaves at 4:35, I Iive near enough to the airport that this wasn't a big deal), and went to the *Gold/First Class Check-in (I am a UA * Gold Member) and asked the lady if they can help me. She tryed, and was nice, and wanted to be helpful, but her computer wouldn't let her do much. She sent me to the LH ticketing desk. The man there said that I'd have to rebook the ticket with UA, and he couldn't do anything for me. UA said that even though there are empty seats on the ORD-DUS flight that they couldn't put me on it. As for asking about first class, I'll do that later when I get to the airport for my flight to MUC. I'm not doubting the guy behind the ticket desk at all, but I wonder why he couldn't just put me on the ORD-DUS. I think it would almost work out better for LH. The empty seats are just going to fly there empty, and if not, they should've put me on standby and not let me on had the seats filled with other passengers. Also, wouldn't it cost them slightly less to put me on the direct?

Quoting thegman (Reply 13):
It is likely because it is a UA reward ticket on UA metal. Why would UA pay for you to fly on LH?

It is on LH metal, it is possible to book reward tickets with UA miles for any star alliance member or any of UA's other partners.

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 14):
It could be that LH has award inventory in their system, but it is not being made available to UA. Thus the response from the UA agent.

Exactly what happened. I think that at the airport they probably could have helped me if my ticket was booked through LH.

Lufthansa747

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Technically they were correct but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

UA awards are strictly non-changeable after departure, but I managed to convince an SQ agent move my flight by 2 days after having already flown GMP-SHA (SQ PVG-SIN-CGK). The station manager can do just about anything if he/she wants. SQ was a tough nut to crack though...
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium