Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

irishpower
Topic Author

Flight That Crosses The Most Time Zones

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:30 pm

I was just wondering which flight crosses the most time zones? Are there any flights that actually go an entire 12 time zones to the opposite (antipode) time zone? I was looking at a map to see if SQ 21/22 EWR-SIN does it but I can't tell. Any others come to mind?

zeke

RE: Flight That Crosses The Most Time Zones

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:35 pm

Quoting Irishpower (Thread starter):
Any others come to mind?

The CX YYZ/HKG and JFK/HKG flights.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

alasizon

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:37 pm

The EWR-SIN route crosses 12 time zones (Flies through 14, including dept and arrival time zones) eastbound from EWR Eastbound from SIN, it crosses 10, (12 including dept. and arrival).
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

jfk777

Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:48 pm

JFK to Tokyo has done 10 times zones Nonstop since 1977, Pan AM's 747SP was the first to cover so many zones nonstop.

2travel2know2

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:16 pm

How about NZ AKL-LHR eastbound and westbound?
CDG-PPT may be in that list too.

Bear in mind that crossing the most time zones may not be the same as flying over the most time zones.
As near the north and south a plane flies, the less time zones the plane crosses, as there aren't 24 time zones at the poles.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

TravellerPlus

Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Althiugh they are not non-stop flights Air New Zealand's flights from New Zealand to London, which go via the Pacifc or Asia, cross 12 time zones depending on the daylight saving adjustments. Likewise, Korean Air's flight from Seoul to Brazil cross 12 time zones depending on daylight savings adjustments.

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 3):
JFK to Tokyo has done 10 times zones Nonstop since 1977, Pan AM's 747SP was the first to cover so many zones nonstop.

Many flights from Europe to Japan used to stop in Anchorage. These flights cross 10 time zones. Often the flights would cross more time zones than they would spend hours in the air, so you would arrive before you left. I am usure if they were flown non-stop since the DC7 or 707 days?
What goes around comes around....unless your luggage is not on the carousel...

Viscount724

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:05 am

Quoting TravellerPlus (Reply 5):
Many flights from Europe to Japan used to stop in Anchorage. These flights cross 10 time zones. Often the flights would cross more time zones than they would spend hours in the air, so you would arrive before you left.

There are still a couple of seasonal nonstops a week FRA-ANC-FRA during the summer operated by German leisure carrier Condor using the 767-300ER that arrive 20 minutes before they leave, considering the 9:40 block time and 10 hour time difference.

InnocuousFox

Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:26 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 4):
there aren't 24 time zones at the poles.

Uh... yes there are. They're just very narrow. Theoretically, time zones are based on longitude. Just as the lines of longitude converge at the poles, so do time zones.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

vhqpa

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:07 am

What about flights that skip time zones by crossing the IDL? if so wouldn't it be something like AKL-IUE or AKL-APW?

In summer New Zealand is 13 hours ahead of Greenwich while Niue and Samoa are both 11 hours behind greenwich that is a time difference of 24 hours (23 when NZ isn't observing DST)
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

roseflyer

Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Yes I've flown EWR-SIN and depending on daylight savings you don't even need to change your watch after the flight!

For what it is worth, it is also horrendously jetlag enducing. An 11pm - 5am flight isn't so bad since you try to stay up really late and then you get to feel like you can sleep in as late as you want. You get breakfast and good to go for the day.

On the reverse however, the 18 hour flight leaving at 11am and arriving at 5pm you just end up miserable for days.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

blueflyer

Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:57 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 9):
On the reverse however, the 18 hour flight leaving at 11am and arriving at 5pm you just end up miserable for days.

Really? That's one of my favorite flights. The few times I took it were always after an extremely busy week-end and I slept for more than half the flight. By the time I get to the end of my connecting flight, it is bed time and I am tired again. Works great!