Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mikey72
Topic Author

Is Skytrax Accurate?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:50 am

I just wondered what people think of Skytrax and their customer surveys.

Current customer rating for a cross section of airlines scrored out of 10.

Emirates - 5.1
Singapore - 8.5
Air France - 5.6
Delta - 3.5
Qantas - 8.0
Ryanair - 2.2
British Airways - 6.5
Virgin Atlantic - 4.2
Lufthansa - 6.1
United - 4.2
American - 3.4
Cathay - 7.5

And for lounges.

Continental - 4.3
Singapore - 7.4
Delta - 4.1
Qantas - 7.5
British Airways - 8.1
Emirates - 6.7
Lufthansa - 4.5
Virgin Atlantic - 8.7
United - 3.1
American - 3.5
Cathay - 7.1

I could find no reviews for the Ryanair lounges.

[Edited 2011-06-14 02:55:30]
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

mikey72
Topic Author

RE: Is Skytrax Accurate?

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 am

No real surprises apart from....VS, seems like they're excellent until you get anywhere near an aircraft. I would of thought EK would rate higher too.
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

tayser

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 am

Accuracy of data collection? that's debatable. You can't declare opinion accurate or inaccurate: they're just that - opinions.

TruemanQLD

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:34 am

Quoting mikey72 (Thread starter):
Emirates - 5.1
Singapore - 8.5
Air France - 5.6
Delta - 3.5
Qantas - 8.0
Ryanair - 2.2
British Airways - 6.5
Virgin Atlantic - 4.2
Lufthansa - 6.1
United - 4.2
American - 3.4
Cathay - 7.5

Well the ones I can personally speak on experience from (SQ, QF, LH, BA) all roughly deserve the rating they have been given IMHO. I think it is reasonably accurate. I mean, is there a better measure than customer experience? It is great to have a great aircraft/lounge in theory, but it is how it is put into practice that matters and that is why some airlines come out better than expected and others worse (EK).

Also that CX is a 5-star airline and QF is 4 star, yet QF scores better... interesting. I am not going to say it is 100% accurate but I cannot think of how to better 'rate' and airline.

Quokka

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:38 am

Like all such online surveys they depend on people going out of their way to comment and this may result in comments being slanted one way or another. Three hundred passengers on a flight may have exactly the same experience but one will rank the service 3/10 while the another says 8/10. The rest don't go to Skytrack at all so we don't know what they thought.

Sometimes the ratings are based on things that may be outside the airlines' control but the airline gets a poor rating anyway.

CXfirst

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:43 am

One problem about skytrax is that it isn't a review from every passenger on every flight.

I have given airlines a review, but only a couple times. Surprise, surprise, these reviews have happened after an excellent flight or a poor flight, never an ordinary flight.

For instance, I have had many ordinary flights with Qantas, good, but not excellent, nothing to report. But I've also had some bad flights, more bad flights than excellent flights. With SQ on the other hand, I've had many ordinary flights, but some excellent flights.

Anyway, with skytrax ratings, I would give QF reviews for bad flights, and SQ review for good flights, even though, they probably should be much closer.

My example isn't great, as QF gets a good mark, but my experience on QF is really domestic. But it could answer some of the large differences on DL, VS, etc.

Although the reviews do give an indication, the differences between airlines shouldn't be as large in my opinion.

-CXfirst

initious

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 am

I used to believe it until CZ got a 4-star rating.  
One day I will fly around the world!

usdcaguy

Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 am

The American carriers always take a beating on Skytrax. Granted, much of it is true, but much of what is complained about has more to do with the nature of the American airline industry than anything one carrier is doing: harried flight attendants (often judged too old), inept customer service, terribly mishandled delays, draconian in-flight amenities, etc. I like to read Skytrax to get an idea of what a carrier is like, but people from various countries have different standards, and one carrier may be better at short-haul flying while another has a better long-haul product. I'd like to see more descriptive survey results for categories such as Operational Performance, Value for Money, Customer Service, Equipment, etc. to get a better sense of why one carrier is better over another.

PlymSpotter

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:33 am

I have heard many suggestions from well placed people that certain airlines encourage their own staff to submit overtly positive reviews. I'm not purporting this to be true, but it begs the question; is there any way of detecting such activity? If not, then I'm not sure how Skytrax can be considered accurate.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

hamad

Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:59 am

here is the thing. a lot of people have unrealistic expectation when they go on an airline on a specific flight. it is amazing that on one flight i will get both a pleasant feed back, as well as a negative feedback. this will depend on the destination and what kind of customer profile are flying into that destination. fair enough specific passengers are never satisfied with any thing, and they complain for the sake of complaining. on many occasions if ther is a shortfall of catering or behavior of ground staff toward passengers and they fess it up during the flight, their remarks will be taken seriously and sent to management, however some remarks like "I will complain because you don't have specific nationality bathroom" or " i will complain because i yelled at you because you and you didn't attend to me" are not taken seriously... and sometimes those remarks put on skytrax are put on there because of that. if you may notice some users on skytrax, there is a pattern in their complaints whether it was multiple flights on one airline or multiple airlines. every flight is different, so you can't base your whole skytrax experience based on one passenger's opinion that might be realistic or non realistic
PHX - i miss spotting

bastew

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 1):
No real surprises apart from....VS, seems like they're excellent until you get anywhere near an aircraft. I would of thought EK would rate higher too.

I reckon the EK rating is reasonably fair. Reading through the reviews it seems many of the complaints are regarding the lack of consistency with the hard product in the premium cabins. I'd be pretty peeved too if I got off an aircraft with a nice big flat bed (say 380) and onto one of their 777's that still has the old OLD generation seats

Whether or not the Skytrax website is accurate I don't know. From what I see the 'star' rating is based on a rating for different criteria (seats/lounges etc) while the /10 rating seems to be from what the commenting passengers rate them.

I don't really agree with their system of star ratings. I flew Asiana once LHR - ICN - SYD. The Business Class seats were very old (not flat beds), the IFE was fairly limited and the crew seemed to struggle with english on all sectors. But saying that they were unfailingly polite, food was good and flights ontime. And they have *****. I guess its down to whats important for the individual. For example my highest ranking item would be a fully flat bed. And personally I dont think any airline that doesnt have one should get five stars. Just my two cents worth though.

I think that in the spirit of two sides to every story there should be the opportunity for airline management or others to respond to comments. For example, reading the Emirates comments. There is a recent review from a mother travelling with her child and using a bassinet. She has marked down Emirates a lot because each time the seat belt sign came on she was asked to take the child out of the bassinet for safety reasons. Why should this be an issue? BA is exactly the same. Those bassinet tables are not stressed for turbulence and we ask so for the safety of the child....not to be difficult. Some people...sheesh

[Edited 2011-06-14 05:28:03]

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Quoting Quokka (Reply 4):
Like all such online surveys they depend on people going out of their way to comment and this may result in comments being slanted one way or another.
Quoting CXfirst (Reply 5):
these reviews have happened after an excellent flight or a poor flight, never an ordinary flight.

That's pretty much it. I've only had mediocre experiences on SQ - and wouldn't comment (other than to say that IMHO they don't come close to the hype).

On EK I've had the best flight I've ever been on, and also (on a separate flight) the only time I've ever heard a flight attendant swear at a passenger. I am much more likely to report those experiences (positively and negatively respectively) than I would SQ.

Quoting mikey72 (Thread starter):
Emirates - 5.1
Singapore - 8.5
Air France - 5.6
Delta - 3.5
Qantas - 8.0
Ryanair - 2.2
British Airways - 6.5
Virgin Atlantic - 4.2
Lufthansa - 6.1
United - 4.2
American - 3.4
Cathay - 7.5

In my recent personal experience I would go:

Emirates 8.5
Etihad 8.0
Ryanair 7.5
Singapore Airlines 7.0
British Airways 6.75
Qantas 6.5
JetStar 5.75
Virgin Blue 5.5

Is my opinion worth any more or less than anyone elses? No. And me compiling that list is no different to how Skytrax works.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

ozglobal

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 7):
The American carriers always take a beating on Skytrax. Granted, much of it is true, but much of what is complained about has more to do with the nature of the American airline industry than anything one carrier is doing: harried flight attendants (often judged too old), inept customer service, terribly mishandled delays, draconian in-flight amenities, etc. I like to read Skytrax to get an idea of what a carrier is like, but people from various countries have different standards, and one carrier may be better at short-haul flying while another has a better long-haul product. I'd like to see more descriptive survey results for categories such as Operational Performance, Value for Money, Customer Service, Equipment, etc. to get a better sense of why one carrier is better over another.

Right, but SkyTrax is an International, not a US Domestic survey. They often report receiving complaints from American travellers that the US airlines are rated below most others. But on a global basis, in the context of the other carriers and for all the reasons you mention, they are consistently rated down. You post simply explains why.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

ozglobal

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 11):

Emirates 8.5
Etihad 8.0
Ryanair 7.5
Singapore Airlines 7.0
British Airways 6.75
Qantas 6.5
JetStar 5.75
Virgin Blue 5.5

Is my opinion worth any more or less than anyone elses? No. And me compiling that list is no different to how Skytrax works.

Umh, yes it is. Skytrax usually have approx 15 million opionions vs your '1'. And Ryanair at 7,5 on a comparable basis with the other you list ?   
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

mikey72
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Do you think we expect too much from air travel these days ? I mean let's face it. You get on, you sit down. you get there.

Those that can afford it get a bit more space and some seafood !!

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 12):
But on a global basis, in the context of the other carriers and for all the reasons you mention, they are consistently rated down. You post simply explains why.

Yes and no. The problem is this: on ATL-CDG - where the operational realities of the States are more or less the same for both Delta and Air France - how large is the gap between DL and AF? It's probably a lot smaller than the "global" gap between DL and AF because ORD-ATL winds up getting compared to FRA-CDG. Skytrax isn't really apples to apples in the sense that it doesn't try to minimize the number of variables by comparing the same routes (but that's probably not desirable for other reasons).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

mikey72
Topic Author

Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:55 pm

I think a scale where the most important aspect i.e 'getting there' scores an automatic starter of 6 with 4 points left for the frills. This would be much better. No airline on that list deserves less than a 6 in my opinion.

Quokka

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:14 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 16):
'getting there' scores an automatic starter of 6

With the odd exception of an occasional aircraft going down, most passengers get there so passengers will tend to rate things on not just getting there but how they got there. How easy was it to book the flight; what was the condition of the aircraft, in-flight service; if there was a problem how was it rectified or responded to; was the flight value for money? These are the things that passengers will look at when comparing or commenting on flight experiences.

I don't think that most passengers expect too much. Many will book a flight with the expectation of "getting there" as cheaply as possible. Others will look to other factors like convenience, comfort, and safety. Individual airlines do try and suggest that they stand out from the crowd in some way be it as a "no-frills, low cost" carrier or as one that gets you there "in style". However they present themselves, passengers will make assessments based on their expectation and whether the airline lives up to it. That said, the majority don't express opinions in surveys - they are more likely to tell their family and friends.

mogandoCI

Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 13):
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 11):

Emirates 8.5
Etihad 8.0
Ryanair 7.5
Singapore Airlines 7.0
British Airways 6.75
Qantas 6.5
JetStar 5.75
Virgin Blue 5.5

Umh, yes it is. Skytrax usually have approx 15 million opionions vs your '1'. And Ryanair at 7,5 on a comparable basis with the other you list ?   

just look at his unbiased neutral non-preferential carrier-blind screename

aivisavia

Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:13 pm

I use it, but it seems mostly angry passengers use it.