Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

huntsman80
Topic Author

Flying The DC-10 With Biman

Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:20 pm

It seems the last opportunity to fly on a DC-10 now resides with Biman Bangladesh Airlines on various routes from Dhaka.

So as part of my RTW trip in August & September, I've resolved myself to flying the aircraft before it's too late.

My first port of call was the Airline Route Mapper, where I found the DC-10 listed as flying:
DAC-AUH
DAC-CGP
DAC-DOH
DAC-DMM
DAC-DXB
DAC-FCO
DAC-HKG
DAC-JED
DAC-KTM
DAC-MCT
DAC-RUH
DAC-ZYL

However, having read a few past Biman topics on A.net, this list does not seem to be accurate. IIRC someone confirmed the DC-10 definitely didn't operate to FCO anymore for example.

So I am wondering if anyone has any up to date information on which routes the DC-10 is still operating and what the situation is likely to be in August (i.e. will Biman receive any new aircraft deliveries in the interim)

Thanks

Skyeurope

RE: Flying The DC-10 With Biman

Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm

The DC10 DOES operate to FCO in fact. There are various pictures in the databases from May and June this year.

Biman's website also lists the flights to Rome as operated by DC10.

[Edited 2011-06-19 06:31:01]

Loran

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:00 pm

I saw S2-ACP in DXB in April, so this route is also confirmed. To my knowledge AUH is also served by the DC-10.

Make sure when you fly BG that you cater for delays up to 12h, so no short connections immediately after the DC-10. I have also heard of 24h delays, but I have to say my flight to HKG was perfectly on time. There are numerous users in here who have recently flown the DC-10, so I assume you should find some good advice. My flight is 1.5 years back but let me know if you need further info. Also, to avoid equipment changes, I'd recommend DAC-HKG which according to the crew is always served by the DC-10. It is also a pleasant afternoon flight and in my case it was as good as empty:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Loran
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Loran

Btw, the airlineroutemappertool basically gathers its info from various online timetables, it means it fully depends on what the airlines upload. That is why some strange types appear, e.g. I just saw that SANSA uploaded timetables serviced by equipment type CV6 (is this a CV-560?).

Cheers,
Loran

MEA-707

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Quoting Loran (Reply 2):
I just saw that SANSA uploaded timetables serviced by equipment type CV6 (is this a CV-560?).

If true (for instance IF it's the super rare Canadian built CL-66/Convair 580 subtype of which one is rusting away in Panama) I'd go to Costa Rica next month! But as they have Cessna Caravans I fear it's one of these.

Back to the subject; to/from DXB they fly a mix of DC-10s and A-310s, I flew on them a year ago (May10). You can also build in 2-3 days in Dacca, in case you didn't manage to get on one, you can always get to the airport and ask which domestic tag on flights to/from Chittagong and Sylhet are DC-10 operated, at least you get an (extra) 45 minute flight on one, and you can still fly F-28s there.

huntsman80
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Quoting Skyeurope (Reply 1):
The DC10 DOES operate to FCO in fact. There are various pictures in the databases from May and June this year.

Lol, yes around an hour after I posted this topic I found the same snaps but I was too slow to edit my OP 
Quoting Loran (Reply 2):
Make sure when you fly BG that you cater for delays up to 12h, so no short connections immediately after the DC-10. I have also heard of 24h delays, but I have to say my flight to HKG was perfectly on time. There are numerous users in here who have recently flown the DC-10, so I assume you should find some good advice. My flight is 1.5 years back but let me know if you need further info. Also, to avoid equipment changes, I'd recommend DAC-HKG which according to the crew is always served by the DC-10. It is also a pleasant afternoon flight and in my case it was as good as empty:

Yes HKG is certainly an option for me, however as with everything, my main constraints are costs and timing. BGs cheapest fare on the HKG route is 300USD and there is probably better value on some of the shorter hops.

I did look hard at the KTM route where fares start at the 100USD level but with very few LCCs operating out of KTM I couldn't get out of there very cheaply. Also with the route being a 50-50 split between the DC-10 and A310, I felt that even if I was booked on a DC-10 scheduled flight, my chances of an equipment change were higher.

So that left the two domestics, the Gulf routes and HKG...

The domestic routes have some pretty decent fares around the 60-70USD mark.

The Gulf routes similarly offer great value, with AUH flights at 163USD, DXB 169USD, MCT 169USD, DMM 200USD, RUH 200USD, JED 227USD and DOH 234USD.

HKG, as I mentioned above, is the most expensive Asian route at 300USD.

So on balance, the Gulf routes seem my best bet, plus they also fit in well with my plans to fly the 74L (with either RB or IR) and so my aim now is to find which routes are likely to have to least likelihood of equipment change. I know DXB is the only route which has scheduled A310 operations, but it would be great to know if any of the other routes have had A310 sightings recently?

Quoting MEA-707 (Reply 3):
You can also build in 2-3 days in Dacca, in case you didn't manage to get on one, you can always get to the airport and ask which domestic tag on flights to/from Chittagong and Sylhet are DC-10 operated, at least you get an (extra) 45 minute flight on one, and you can still fly F-28s there.

If my 74L plans fall through (very possible at present with the volatile Syria situation and my Iranian visa conundrums), I may very well plan for a couple of days in Bangladesh with the aim of flying the DC-10 and F-28 with Biman and then the MD-82 with GMG.

The MD-82 and DC-10 are both scheduled on a number of routes but I can't find any for Biman's single F-28, which routes does it normally appear upon?

[Edited 2011-06-19 09:28:45]

Skyeurope

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Just made a quick search on their website :

Wednesday, 17.08.

Dhaka 17:00 Sylhet 17:35 BG605 Fokker F.28 72,30USD

pnd100

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:54 pm

Best of luck hunstman80! You are certainly braver than I for flying BG  

eirik

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 am

Abu Dhabi to Dhaka includes a stop in Sylhet, two DC-10 flights for the price of one