dxing
Topic Author

When Do The French Take Vacation?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:15 pm

I only have the first week of August to take my daughter to Paris. When do the airports get flooded with travelers over there? I remember being over there to see Lance Armstrong win the Tour de France a few years back and almost getting stuck. Don't want that to happen again. Thanks in advance.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

SR4ever

RE: When Do The French Take Vacation?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Well, Parisians just desert their city in August, but not all of them fly.

coachclass

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:26 am

August is the travel month for lots of Europeans, especially Italians and French. But the trouble you may encounter is that a lot of the places you may want to see may be closed. I know that in Italy, lots of restaurants and small businesses close. Check ahead.

FYI, tho' not the first week in August: August 15th is Ferragosto, a national holiday in Italy. It celebrates the Assumption into Heaven of the Virgin Mary, and almost everything closes or reduces service like buses, trains, museums, etc.
France may be the same.

LAXintl

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:45 am

Month of August is the peak travel month for the French, Parisians particular looking to get away from the city heat.

As others have mentioned things tend to close or have limited hours during the month of August. Matter of fact so many people vacation in August in France, there is a pronounced economic effect with national output dropping significantly during the month as factories and virtually entire sectors take the month off.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

signol

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:07 am

As has been said, August, though in my experience the airports won't be overcrowded because of it - most people will drive or take the train to the French coasts.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

PI4EVER

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:53 am

I visited Paris in mid-August and did note the absence of crowds and some closings here and there. I recall reduced hours for visiting Tour Eiffel and adjusted hours at some museums but cafe's and bars were still open in the evening. Arriving at CDG to clear customs and baggage claim was a breeze. In comparison to a previous visit, using the Metro...even at 5pm was equally easy and convenient. Everyone we encountered were friendly and welcoming.
I did not find the weather hot and humid....of course I live in FL so anywhere is cooler in August in comparison....and enjoyed sunny days and pleasant breezy evenings. Little rain.
I think you'll enjoy this beautiful city albeit a bit quieter. Best Wishes for a great trip,
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

BlatantEcho

Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Don't the French only work 36hrs a week?

It's like a permanent vacation!

signol

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 6):

35. It's still Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm with an hour for lunch.
When I worked there during the implementation, the joke went that they would have to introduce the 35 hour week in stages - first start at 30 hours, then 31 hours, then 32...  

signol

ozglobal

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:50 pm

Quoting signol (Reply 7):
Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 6):

35. It's still Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm with an hour for lunch.
When I worked there during the implementation, the joke went that they would have to introduce the 35 hour week in stages - first start at 30 hours, then 31 hours, then 32...  

Yes, that's right. Standard Brit humor. In fact, everyone I know work 50hrs per week, but the more junior staff who benefit from the 35hr week award get 'RTT' - several weeks of days in lieu. Above a certain level, you just get regular vacation. But this is still 5 - 6 weeks. With all this French productivity per capita of GDP is amongst the world's highest. Sounds like a win - win really, doesn't it.
When all's said and done, there'll be more said than done.

sw733

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:52 pm

Quoting dxing (Thread starter):
When Do The French Take Vacation?

I think the better question is "When do the French work?"

Quoting CoachClass (Reply 2):
August is the travel month for lots of Europeans,

Yep, my experience is August too. I work with the folks in Toulouse a lot, and trying to get anything out of them in August is next to impossible!

DesertAir

Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:10 am

Last July (2010) I was in Granada, Nicaragua...there were a lot of French passing through.

signol

Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:20 am

Quoting OzGlobal (Reply 8):
Standard Brit humor.

Please don't take offence, I was working for AF at the time, and it was a French staff member who told me the joke...

signol