Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

coopdogyo
Topic Author

Booked A Seat In Economy Confort

Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 am

So my family and I are going to Europe in August. We are Delta's SEA-AMS flight on the 767 and we booked our tickets in what is now the economy comfort section before it was introduced. Does this means we will get grandfathered in to economy comfort and get all the bonuses without the extra cost?

[Edited 2011-07-06 00:44:08]

jwenting

RE: Booked A Seat In Economy Confort

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:20 am

You booked economy tickets, you get economy seats. Aircraft configuration changes over time.
When I a few years ago booked economy on KLM and the aircraft configuration had me seated in a business class seat, I didn't get businessclass service, why should I?
I wish I were flying

coopdogyo
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:38 am

I just checked our reservation on Delta.com and they hasn't changed our seats yet.

longhauler

Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Quoting coopdogyo (Reply 2):
I just checked our reservation on Delta.com and they hasn't changed our seats yet.

There is a very good chance it wont get "caught". If the Economy Comfort product is a different fare level, but still within the Economy Cabin, (Cab Y on the PNR) it probably wont get flagged. However, if the Economy Comfort product is considered a separate cabin with the PNR, they it may well get flagged, and they just haven't got to you yet.

So you are presented with a "gamble". Do you bring it to their attention now, and get a reasonable chance at being reseated to good seats in the Y cabin .... or do you wait until closer to departure time for it to be caught, then be reseated in whatever is left in the Y cabin?
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

PI4EVER

Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Obviously someone in your party has elite status with SkyMiles as those seats/rows would have been blocked as "preferred" at the time you booked. With status there likely will be no issue, certainly if high as Platinum as Y+ is complimentary anyway. Silver and Gold pay reduced percentage amounts for Y+ so you could be asked to ultimately pay for those seats or reseat to other rows.
To insure you do not encounter an issue at OLCI, call DL SkyMiles at (800) 323-2323, enter SkyMiles account # and password and verify with an agent status of the assignments.
watch what you want. you may get it.

coopdogyo
Topic Author

Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:14 pm

My dad has gold on AS but we booked the seats before economy comfort was even launched. I just called delta and they informed that my family and I would have been bumped to whatever normal economy seats were left on the day of the flight.

[Edited 2011-07-06 10:58:04]

RamblinMan

Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 pm

This happened to me on UA way back when they first launched economy plus. Got to keep the seat assignments, had no status (wasnt even MP member) at the time and was on super-cheap fare.

Now, UA doesn't consider Y+ as a separate class, I don't really know what DL classifies it.

Quoting coopdogyo (Reply 5):
I just called delta and they informed that my family and I would have been bumped to whatever normal economy seats were left on the day of the flight.

Well that's kind of crappy that they didn't at least tell you that you needed to go and select different seats. Glad you were on top of it, and didn't show up at the airport to discover you were magically reassigned to 42D!

What I would have done is honor the original seat assignment unless the Y+ section sells out. IMHO- nothing beats (almost) free advertising!

initious

Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:36 pm

Although not between Y and Y+, I once tried booking an exit row between Singapore and Shantou on Jetstar Asia but I got it free on the website and the seat selection fee (S$30) was not charged at all, even till the final payment page. Despite all that, my itinerary came with the pre selected exit row seat, completely free of charge. I even made a call to their call centre explaining the situation and they reassured me that it will be fine. Sure enough, I got the seat for free while those who wanted an onboard upgrade has to pay S$30.  
One day I will fly around the world!

FlyASAGuy2005

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:08 pm

Quoting PI4EVER (Reply 4):
Obviously someone in your party has elite status with SkyMiles as those seats/rows would have been blocked as "preferred" at the time you booked. With status there likely will be no issue, certainly if high as Platinum as Y+ is complimentary anyway. Silver and Gold pay reduced percentage amounts for Y+ so you could be asked to ultimately pay for those seats or reseat to other rows.
To insure you do not encounter an issue at OLCI, call DL SkyMiles at (800) 323-2323, enter SkyMiles account # and password and verify with an agent status of the assignments.

He said it was booked quite a while ago (before EC was officially rolled out).

Quoting longhauler (Reply 3):
There is a very good chance it wont get "caught". If the Economy Comfort product is a different fare level, but still within the Economy Cabin, (Cab Y on the PNR) it probably wont get flagged. However, if the Economy Comfort product is considered a separate cabin with the PNR, they it may well get flagged, and they just haven't got to you yet.

So you are presented with a "gamble". Do you bring it to their attention now, and get a reasonable chance at being reseated to good seats in the Y cabin .... or do you wait until closer to departure time for it to be caught, then be reseated in whatever is left in the Y cabin?

For this very reason, it's listed in a totally different fare bucket as to discourage abuse. In fact, they have many of the same rules as BusinessElite.
What gets measured gets done.

PI4EVER

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:26 pm

You can "buy up" to Economy Comfort regardless of Y fare basis so if you are not entitled to these seats as an Alaska Gold member - with no status in SkyMiles or Skyteam - you can choose to reseat in other rows as noted by the DL agent or "buy up" purchasing the Y+ seats.
I read the original post and realize the seats were selected before Economy Comfort was in effect. My point was that these seats are blocked for preferred members so in getting them at the time of the booking you may have been entitled to sit there.....for free or a reduced fee amount. Hence, my suggestion to call DL now to clarify the point instead of waiting till the day before at OLCI or at the airport. Obviously an AS Gold member does not hold status on DL flights that equal SkyMiles Silver, Gold or Platinum benefits for entitlement to preferred seating choices that would include these in Y+.
Hopefully all of this party got new seat assignments with or near each other.
Enjoy your ride on DL.
watch what you want. you may get it.