Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

luckyone
Topic Author

Planes That Make You Sick?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Has anybody noticed their stomach/nerves/body reacting to a specific aircraft's handling characteristics? I myself have noticed this, only on the DC-9. I've flown dozens of MD-80/90 flights and no issue. It's the same with pretty much every other type of aircraft I've flown on, even down to Dash 8's and ATRs. I step on a DC-9 however, and there's something about the way it handles that just flips my stomach!

solnabo

RE: Planes That Make You Sick?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 pm

The 747 Classic made me sick as a dog *sickbag*, it was just severe turbulence over Chicago on my flight to LA.

'Reaction´ to any special a/c type, no.

Cheers

//Mike      
Airbus SAS - Love them both

B6JFKH81

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:08 pm

I've never had any issues in a transport category aircraft, but on the GA side of things, I always seemed to feel turbulence more in the DA-20 (Diamond Katana) over other small GA aircraft. Not that I ever had to use the barf bag, but it just seemed I would feel the slightest bump in the air in that thing...probably because it is so light.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

vhtje

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Not exactly sick, but BA's Boeing arcraft do not feature overhead air vents, so I am not able to direct cold air directly to my face/body. This makes me uncomfortable, especially when I am trying to sleep (I need to be cold to sleep). It makes for an unsettling flight.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

migair54

Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:40 pm

I flew once a YAK-42 from CUN-HAV and was horrible. I still remember when they close the doors and start the engines the cabin was full of "fog", the cabin crew make a PA saying that it was normal on that plane. I don´t know if in all the YAK-42 but in the YAK-40 I have never seen that before or later.....

It was a bad start.

AA737-823

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Quoting vhtje (Reply 3):
Not exactly sick, but BA's Boeing arcraft do not feature overhead air vents, so I am not able to direct cold air directly to my face/body. This makes me uncomfortable, especially when I am trying to sleep (I need to be cold to sleep). It makes for an unsettling flight.

Indeed. I don't know why carrier continue to not tick the checkbox for "Overhead Gasper Vents" on the options sheet. I've flown on 747s that had them, and those that didn't. Regardless of cabin temperature, not having a gasper makes things SEEM stuffy; especially if the person next to you creates a foul odor, and you'd like to clear it away from your nostrils!!!!
LOL.

AR385

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:23 pm

While I love its aesthetics and it is a great plane, flying on the DC-10 did not make for a pleasant flight. Specially if you were seated in the middle. Too brusque of a ride for me on that airliner.

RamblinMan

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Most of the time I don't mind them, but I take care to avoid connections on an ERJ after a red-eye. Lack of sleep combined with the motion of those things makes me want to vomit.

HorizonGirl

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:27 pm

I thought I was the only one who had a problem with a specific aircraft!
Through the years, I have noticed that I feel "unsettled" on A320 family aircraft, even though I loved flying on them so much.
And I fly on them often, so I attributed it to my mild "fear" of flying. But since I didn't seem to feel this way about any other aircraft, I was always lost for a reason why I would be affected by only one aircraft type, one I flew often at that. It didn't make any sense! The last trip I flew, I got more nauseous than I have ever been before, and had to use the air sick bag. It wasn't just nausea, it felt like my internal organs were about to blow up. I thought it was because we were flying at a very low altitude, but on the way back, it almost happened again! It wasn't just in my stomach, but it was a feeling of great pressure throughout my whole body, specifically my joints. I really hope this doesn't continue, I love these airplanes so!  

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

maxpower1954

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:29 pm

The BAE Jetstream 31 was very unpleasant to fly in during turbulence, due to the short fuselage causing a roll/yawing movement.

PI4EVER

Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:37 pm

Another propjet many of you did not experience - but you didn't miss much - the YS11. Infamous for fishtailing and yawing on an axis just aft of the wing trailing edge.........a vomit comet regardess how much you flew on the beast. Cockpit crews loved the airplane but they rode in the pointy end and didn't feel the ride in the back until they were deadheading or non-revving. I've seen several crew green-around-the-gills in the summer thermals or the winter winds over the Blue Ridge Mountains......and barf bags lined down the aisle until we landed.
watch what you want. you may get it.

safetyDemo

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:32 pm

I don't dislike this airplane, the first airline I flew for had them, but I always find it rolls more side-to-side than other aircraft I've flown in ... the ERJ-135/145 family. I find it to be quite a sporty little jet and do prefer the 1-2 seating to that of the CRJ ... but always noticed us rolling side-to-side more than I did on other aircraft.

-safetyDemo
Please direct your attention to the flight attendants in the cabin...

sulley

Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:49 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one that notices the rolling on the ERJ-135/145 family. It's almost like the plane can't stop rolling, even at cruise. When the rolling is combined with the narrow fuselage which lets you see the horizon moving on each side of the aircraft, it's not a fun experience  ill  I have to stare at my feet when it gets bad or else I'll lose it...

[Edited 2011-07-09 17:50:16]
In thrust we trust!

F9Animal

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:42 am

The EMB 120 into PSP and SGU during the summer always had me kind of feeling light headed. Especially sitting in the last row.
I Am A Different Animal!!

spacecadet

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:15 am

I love it from the outside but I always feel physically drained and have a splitting headache whenever I fly on a 747. I think it's something about the cabin pressure and dryness, maybe related to how high 747's typically fly (41,000 feet isn't that uncommon). From what I've always understood, cabin altitude isn't a constant, and instead relative pressure is maintained. So the higher you fly, the higher the cabin altitude, even though it's always obviously below a dangerous level.

I do better on 777's flying the same routes but I will say that probably the weirdest feeling I've had on an airliner was on a 777-300ER flying from Tokyo-Osaka. This was after a 14 hour 747 flight from JFK-NRT so I was just naturally tired anyway (I can't sleep on planes) and there's something about the engine sounds on the 777-300ER, it just never sounds like they reach a stable rotation speed, they're constantly changing in pitch and volume. I had no window on that flight and could never quite get my bearings, it felt like we were basically out of control the entire flight until we landed.

I generally feel less tired after long 777 flights but I definitely hear the engines "hunting" more on every flight than in 747's, and that kind of drives me crazy and makes it impossible for me to relax.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

FlyboyOz

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:53 am

I have flown on Airbus 333 many times between SYD and HKG. It made me sick. After plane took off, I felt that i had a bad stomach pain and I almost vomited. Then I rushed down to the toilet but it was too late ready. Oops!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

m404

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:11 am

Oh Yeah. Sit in the very back end of a -61 or -63 DC8 and enjoy the roll. A visual treat was watching the aisle in front of you disappear up when t/o pulled the front up.

Then again, being in the pit of any in very hot weather plane after it had been used to ship salmon would make you a little quesy.

[Edited 2011-07-09 22:50:29]
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

ThirtyEcho

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:35 am

Anybody prone to airsickness needs to sit over the wing, you will notice far less motion plus you will have a horizon reference right out the window. Be sure you get the window seat so you can see.

The worst place is toward the tail where there is much more movement to tolerate.

Type-Rated

Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:56 am

The Beechcraft Bonanza with the V tail would make me somewhat uncomfortable in turbulence. The tail would tend to fishtail from left to right giving you a shimmy feel in your bum. The straight tails like the BE-33 & A36 didn't tend to do this much.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

ABQopsHP

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:06 am

CO Express/Britt had the FH227s. When they were in use out of IAH I had a chance to fly one again. (My first time was on AQ but I was only 5 at the time). The flight on the BTA flight from IAH to CRP was in the summer, and we did not get very high. Rough ride, stuffy hot cabin, and Woops! There I was hugging the bag. I never did throw up, but boy I was close, and never so happy to be on the ground and in the open air. I was concerned once about my flight in a YV EMB120 from PHX-GJT and back during the summer. But even as rough as that was over the desert it didnt make me sick, like the FH227.
JD CRPXE
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

timpdx

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:11 am

Tried a TU-154b on for size last year on Uzbekistan Air....now THAT was an experience. Didn't have to worry about putting my tray table up because mine was ripped out. Didn't have to worry about bringing my seatback up for takeoff because it was permanently stuck reclined. The FAs didn't seem to give a hoot about it. And as for overhead bins? Ha! its more like an overhead slot that maybe wide enough for a phone book, but not much else. And loved the fighter pilot stomach-turning descent, no such thing as a nice glide path, more like a dive for the earth. Ahh, but so much fun and a new aircraft type to fly, it was priceless but would not want to do it again.

The backwards facing seats on WN were also something that I tried exactly once back in the day.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

ikramerica

Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:47 am

727s and DC9s had a bad odor upon boarding, and it wouldn't really clear out for much of the flight, because most were short. This always made me queasy.

But the worst plane I've been on recently was an Otter DHC3. Yuck.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

DIJKKIJK

Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:36 am

I've flown A330 from four different airlines, and have always felt sick and uneasy afterwards. Never had any issues with other airplane. Maybe something to do with the air circulation system?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

zrs70

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:34 pm

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 9):
The BAE Jetstream 31 was very unpleasant to fly in during turbulence, due to the short fuselage causing a roll/yawing movement.

Ditto. Add to that the Shorts 330 and 360 planes!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

initious

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Quoting luckyone (Thread starter):
Planes That Make You Sick? 

Any plane with narrow seats and tight seat pitch.  
One day I will fly around the world!

rolypolyman

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:33 pm

The receiving end of inflight refueling. I was on a C-5 being refueled inflight to a deployed location, riding in the passenger compartment, and the lack of windows and constant control inputs were a horrible experience. I did not get sick, though I felt a bit queasy after 15 minutes of this... with the other pax about a quarter of them had the barf bags out.

jwenting

Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:41 am

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 23):
Ditto. Add to that the Shorts 330 and 360 planes!

And ARJ/BAe-125 series. Don't get sick in them, but in combination with the cramped cabin it's about the most uncomfortable I've ever flown (sitting under the wingbox made it worse, as there's a lot less headroom there, making it even more claustrophobic).
They are quiet though...
I wish I were flying

747400sp

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Maybe not sick, but I find my self to be get dried out and become very uncomfortable on A320s.

CairnterriAIR

Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 am

I hurled my guts out into the barf bag aboard an Aeromexico DC-9 way back when. The plane pitched and rolled all the way to Ixtapa. The flight attendants were quite sympathetic....first person they had seen with Montezuma's Revenge ARRIVING in rather than leaving from Mexico.

....and as for "vomit comets"...PRINAir's DHH Herons were a blast to ride in, but if you sat in the last row you were pretty much doomed to having your last meal reappear in your lap.

Once time aboard a transatlantic flight aboard an American 767, the rolling turbulence didn't do much to help the already queasy stomach I had from eating a really nasty chicken sandwich the day before. Thankfully I held everything down, and was able to get some fresh air in the Zurich airport before connecting onto my CSA flight. Thankfully the TU-154 on that leg of the trip flew smoothly.

N243NW

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:07 am

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 2):
I've never had any issues in a transport category aircraft, but on the GA side of things, I always seemed to feel turbulence more in the DA-20 (Diamond Katana) over other small GA aircraft. Not that I ever had to use the barf bag, but it just seemed I would feel the slightest bump in the air in that thing...probably because it is so light.

Oh gosh, don't get me started. I have more than 80 hours on the DA-20, including my entire instrument ticket (in an airplane that isn't rated for IMC). I almost lost it during my private pilot checkride, due to nervousness, unusual attitudes and the constant turbulence. As far as small planes go, the wing loading makes it one of the absolute worst in rough air.
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

airbuseric

Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:21 am

A321 > last cabin section (rear of cabin). Seems to be unstable during flight.
"The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going"

Skydrol

Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:14 am

Pretty sure I've gotten sick at one time or another on all of these: A319, A320, A330, DC-8, DC-9, DC-10, L-1011, B-727, B-737, B-747, B-757, B-767.   Several times on B-767 flights that I can recall because of the yawing motion of the airplane in crosswinds when landing, and also because almost all of the B-767s I have flown on were lacking gasper vents.

Don't believe I've ever puked in a Dash 8, Convair, Beech 1900D or Cessna. Guess the motion of the smaller prop planes doesn't bother me like the larger airplanes.  

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

united319

Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Any MD-80's in Y. I flew them around Christmas MSY-DFW and was in row 25. I had a light headache when we boarded, by the time we landed in DFW I had a full blown migraine. I had to get out the sick bag while taxiing in. Thank God I didn't actually get sick until I got off the plane but the whole flight I felt like I was on the verge of doing so.

And again last week I flew AA MSY-DFW and this time I was in row 31. My headache grew for the duration of the flight and my ears were ringing after we got off. The next morning I woke up feeling as if I had gone on a drinking binge the day before (I don't drink much at all and the last drink I had was in March).

It's those damned engines! I am sorry, I know many here looooooove to sit in the back of DC9s/MD80s to hear the JT8D's but it is way too much for me. Everytime I sit in first or the front of coach, I am happy as can be.

[Edited 2011-07-23 09:01:14]
It's Time To Fly

757dab

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:33 pm

Quoting airbuseric (Reply 30):
A321 > last cabin section (rear of cabin). Seems to be unstable during flight.

Yep on a US Airways flight to PHL. It felt like we were all over the place and kinda got me nervous
If it ain't Boeing, I'M NOT GOING!!!!!

EDTrauma

Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:43 am

Had a migraine to start a US Fokker 100 IND-PIT flight back in 1997. The air-brakes and fast loss of speed and altitude into PIT landed me in the first aid clinic at PIT.