Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZRWY23
Topic Author

Help With Day Trip To Boston

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:44 pm

Hello,

My friend and I are very likely going to be heading down to FLL in the next few weeks and were thinking of making a stop in BOS for the day. Because I couldn't find any long connections being offered, I figured I would fly Porter or AC YTZ-BOS and then with fly B6 from BOS-FLL.

I wanted to ask a few questions:

1. How difficult is it getting from BOS to Downtown Boston? Any help with transportation options and prices would be greatly appreciated.

2. Flying with two different airlines, I assume we can't get our bags tagged all the way through. Is there storage at BOS where I can lock up my luggage for the day (it is a carry-on sized case, fits under the seat)? Again, price information would be helpful.

3. What would you recommend to do in Boston for the day? I have never been there before, but have been told it is a great city. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Personal experiences as well.

Just to note: The flights I want would have me arriving in BOS at 8:20am or 12:55pm if flying Porter, or arriving at 8:09am or 10:30am if flying AC, and my departure would be at 8:50pm.

Thanks for the help,

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

WROORD

RE: Help With Day Trip To Boston

Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:43 am

I've always taken a cab from the airport to downtown. Boston is a relatively small city with the airport being very close to downtown so you should not pay more than $25 for the cab each way. Downtown with Quincy Market and Freedom trail will probably fill your day there. If you like history there is the old city hall and the old cemetery, Boston Commons and the famous cheers pub, docks by the aquarium to watch boats. JFK library and Boston Museum of Modern Art are great.
There is little Italy with cannoli to die for and some other things but they are a little further away. Just go to wikitravel for all the details.

PHLBOS

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting WROORD (Reply 1):
Downtown with Quincy Market and Freedom trail will probably fill your day there.

A cheaper option than the taxi would be to simply take the "T" (aka MBTA) subway to head downtown. From the terminal, take the courtesy On-Airport shuttle bus (Routes 22, 33 and/or 55) to the MBTA Airport station (Blue Line). Take any inbound train to the Aquarium station (2 stops from the Airport) and head up the escolator to the street level.

The Quincy Market (and Faneuil Hall) is just a short walk from the station.

Note: An alternate stop to the above is the Government Center stop (the one following the Airport station) which might be closer to the market but further from the waterfront.

MBTA subway fare information can be found at:

http://www.mbta.com/fares_and_passes/subway/

I've done a few Saturday day-trips to Boston (flying r/t PHL-BOS) in my time; so it IS possible.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

PI4EVER

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:23 pm

As PHLBOS pointed out, the MBTA subway is an easy ride into town. Both the Aquarium and Government Center are easy walks to the Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall/waterfront area.
Another fun way into town from the airport is the Water Taxi. Take the water transport bus #66 from the terminal and ride the boat into the same area near Quincy Market/Aquarium. $10 each way if you buy-on-board.....roundtrip since you're flying back out that evening is $17.
Harbor Tours and Cruises are also available from this same waterfront area so lots to see and do.....and lots of choices or great food for lunch. Plan to be back at the airport about 6pm to people and plane watch.
So take an early flight and spend the day. You'll be tired but can snooze on the B6 flight to FLL and hit the beach the next morning!
Check out the water taxi info at "citywatertaxi.com".
watch what you want. you may get it.

flymia

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm

I did a day trip in BOS well really it was just an afternoon drip. B6 at $30 round trip fares for its first few weeks of service at DCA. Got into BOS around 11am and left around 5pm. Downtown Boston and most of the sights are very very close to Logan Airport. The cab ride seemed a bit expensive for such a short ride but I think there is a large tunnel fee or something like that. If you take one of the two morning flights in you will have plenty of time so go ahead and take public transport it seems pretty easy. Downtown Boston is where you will want to be, plenty of sights and good food.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

PHLBOS

Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 4):
The cab ride seemed a bit expensive for such a short ride but I think there is a large tunnel fee or something like that.

The inbound toll for both the Sumner (Route 1A) and Ted Williams (I-90) Tunnels is $3.50 and there could very well be an airport fee of sorts for taxis and livery vehicles that the companies pass along to their customers.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Highw...y/downloads/tolls/tunnel_tolls.pdf

Personally, if someone at BOS is only trying to go Downtown; forget the taxis and take the T. It's only a short distance, significantly cheaper and it's not like the Blue Line traverses through 'bad' neighborhoods between the Airport station and downtown. Note: for one heading closer to the Financial District and/or South Station area, one can use the T's Silver Line (which has stops at every terminal); which is a bus/trolley hybrid.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

WROORD

Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:53 am

Quoting flymia (Reply 4):
The cab ride seemed a bit expensive for such a short ride but I think there is a large tunnel fee or something like that.

That huge tunnel is the famous "Boston big dig" or I-90 (Mass Pike) that was put underground....

skyhigh777

Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:38 pm

I've done the day trip to BOS, albeit from Baltimore for 50 bucks each way on Southwest. Arrived in the morning, took the terminal bus to the train station down to Aquarium. Walked around Quincy and little Italy for a few hours. Boston is a very small and walkable city...easy to get to/from the airport and definitely worth doing a day trip.

D.C. is also an extremely accessible city from the airport, but much larger than Boston and a lot more walking involved but still good for a day trip if you fly into DCA.