Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AlnessW
Topic Author

Current/Future PDX Service

Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:19 am

I am curious as to how our airlines at PDX are "doing," as well as any new service we may see in the future.

QX - I have heard rumors that QX planes are being rebranded as AS aircraft? Do they plan on continuing the PDX hub and/or combining with AS's hub?

AS - Continues to expand their PDX hub, so I suppose they're doing something right! How are those seasonal flights to BIL and MSO doing? I must say that I was a bit surprised when they started the Hawaii nonstops. It was announced as some groundbreaking new service, while I thought "Hasn't HA gone directly there for a while now...?"

AA - Would they ever start flights to MIA? I wouldn't expect to see ORD or anything seeing as those routes seem pretty locked in by UA and AS.

B6 - Now has a seasonal flight to BOS!    Is there still high competition with the existing AS flight? If you ask me, I would choose B6 over AS, hands down. Free first bag, great snack and beverage options, DirecTV and satellite radio at every seat, lots of legroom, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if the BOS travelers move their business to B6, as their service is much better than AS's, IMO. I took the B6 flight BOS-PDX in early July and it was just awesome - much better than the AS flight, in my experience.

F9 - It is sounding like F9 is having trouble staying afloat these days, true? How are the DEN flights doing?

WN - Definitely a popular airline at PDX. Any new destinations (or cutbacks) planned?

US - Never got the impression that they are a particularly popular airline at PDX (or anywhere else, for that matter). Are they making money on PHX? I would think that pax would rather take popular AS or WN to PHX, but I could be wrong... How are the CTL and PHL routes doing?

DL - Actually has a pretty good sized operation here. They inherited NW's former routes to MSP, NRT, AMS, as well as Hawaii. No real surprise DL eliminated the Hawaii flights, as I'm certain that pax would rather take popular AS or luxurious HA to the islands. Now how about the NRT and AMS flights? NW used an A330 for both of these flights. DL now uses a 767 for the NRT flight, as I hear that a 767 is better suited for that flight. I also hear that DL still uses an A330 for the AMS flight, but I don't think I've ever seen one at PDX...  

How are the international flights doing? Are they profitable? I head the Port of Portland started paying DL some multi-million dollar payment a while ago for them to keep the NRT flight. Are these payments still being made? What's happening after those payments are over?

HA - I would love to take their 763 to the islands one day. I hear their service is fantastic. I really hope AS doesn't win out on those routes - would hate to see another widebody leave PDX.

CO - Merging with UA, will they keep the flights to EWR and IAH? Will they change UA's current operations?

AC - The mainline YYZ flight must be doing very well, as they've kept it up for well over a year now and I hear that it was recently upgraded from an E90 to an A319. Great news for PDX   AC Jazz / OO flights to YVR and YYC doing OK?

UA - Merging with CO. It seems as though a lot of their mainline flights to SFO, LAX, and DEN are being replaced with UAX/OO flights. Are these routes not profitable? Or are they just trying to save money? I was on a mainline flight to DEN earlier this summer, and the A320 was completely full. How about when CO joins their operations?

NK - Will be adding PDX in September. I was a bit surprised when I heard that they were adding 2 flights a day to LAS. I thought that route seemed pretty well covered already by the usual AS and WN. We shall see how the airline that charges for literally everything does in PDX. Where will NK be setting up shop? (Gate(s), ticket counters...)

Other destinations - MCO, FLL, MIA, etc? Any possibilities? How about VX or any other new airlines coming?

I think that covers it all... Any input?

BoeingGuy

RE: Current/Future PDX Service

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Thread starter):
QX - I have heard rumors that QX planes are being rebranded as AS aircraft?

You might want to do your homework. This was announced publically by AS months ago.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 1):
You might want to do your homework. This was announced publically by AS months ago.

I realized that when I saw QX's name removed from AS's website header, but I was curious to know if it was true. Anything else you'd like to say?

alasizon

Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:16 am

I don't foresee any new AS destinations till more aircraft come online. (Save a possible flight from FAI if an aircraft sits there normally at night that could be used for a flight to PDX).

As far as QX goes, since the cutback of CR7 flying (and transfer to OO), the PDX hub is shrinking, but overall QX is still holding and I believe there is more expansion potential from PDX than SEA. (MRY and RNO to name a couple).

US has been doing well to my knowledge and the flights usually appear to be full in the afternoons.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

AlnessW
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:26 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 3):
I don't foresee any new AS destinations till more aircraft come online. (Save a possible flight from FAI if an aircraft sits there normally at night that could be used for a flight to PDX).

As far as QX goes, since the cutback of CR7 flying (and transfer to OO), the PDX hub is shrinking, but overall QX is still holding and I believe there is more expansion potential from PDX than SEA. (MRY and RNO to name a couple).

Interesting stuff. I know Amtrak Cascades is another increasingly popular way to do PDX-SEA.

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 3):
US has been doing well to my knowledge and the flights usually appear to be full in the afternoons.

Great news!

IAHFLYR

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 pm

CO - Merging with UA, will they keep the flights to EWR and IAH?

I can't speak for the EWR flights, but I've been flying the IAH-PDX-IAH about 6 times a year for the last few years and it's very hard to find a flight not completely full. It would be very surprising to not have IAH service from PDX.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

rwsea

Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:22 am

I also hear that DL still uses an A330 for the AMS flight, but I don't think I've ever seen one at PDX...

I fly PDX-AMS 3-4 times per year as I am originally from the PDX area and use the flight to visit family back home. The route started with an A330, and goes back and forth between A332 and 767. Over the last year it's been A332, but it's slated to downgauge again to 767 this winter.

I usually fly the route in summer and around the holidays, but coach is usually full and business 1/2 full or so. There's been twice now during the summer when I've been op-up'd to Business because coach was oversold. Other times I've been in Business and it's been completely full with business pax. On the other hand, I once flew the route in February and the plane was 1/2 full, and even then I paid an extremely cheap fare (€500 r/t).

I'd venture to guess that the route is doing decently based on the loads and the fact that there's a reasonable number of premium pax. They've tinkered with the aircraft and the flight times but the flight still is very popular with connecting pax - in fact, there's usually only a handful of bags on the carousel at Schiphol!

toobz

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:40 am

As far as the DL PDX-AMS route, I will say the loads are definitely descent. I fly the route about every other month and it is usually full. taking a look at the flights now, they are oversold in Y and only a couple seats up in C. Granted it Summer. NRT flights do well load wise as well - don't know anything about what kind of yields their pulling in though. I would imagine that the fares are more competitive than say from SEA.

AlnessW
Topic Author

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:05 pm

Quoting rwSEA (Reply 6):
The route started with an A330, and goes back and forth between A332 and 767. Over the last year it's been A332, but it's slated to downgauge again to 767 this winter.

What determines the A330 vs 767? Varies seasonally?

Quoting rwSEA (Reply 6):
I usually fly the route in summer and around the holidays, but coach is usually full and business 1/2 full or so.

Great news; I guess DL is making money on that route! I still wonder about NRT though.

Quoting rwSEA (Reply 6):
They've tinkered with the aircraft and the flight times but the flight still is very popular with connecting pax - in fact, there's usually only a handful of bags on the carousel at Schiphol!

Excellent point!

Quoting toobz (Reply 7):
NRT flights do well load wise as well - don't know anything about what kind of yields their pulling in though. I would imagine that the fares are more competitive than say from SEA.

Interesting.

Jonathanxxxx

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 pm

I can see AS probably starting MIA service once they get more aircraft. Although I don't think its on their priority list of routes right now. NK might be willing tostart FLL-PDX but I think FLL-SAN would Be first. Although Isee your point. A carrier with a large hub at FLL/MIA could start the flight. PDX along with SAN needs a Florida flight!
Also shouldn't this be in the civil aviation forum?

AlnessW
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 9):
I can see AS probably starting MIA service once they get more aircraft.

Would AA ever do it or would they just codeshare it with AS?

NK might be willing tostart FLL-PDX but I think FLL-SAN would Be first.

That sounds more likely than AS to MIA.

Although Isee your point.
PDX along with SAN needs a Florida flight!

Don't know about SAN, but PDX for sure!

Also shouldn't this be in the civil aviation forum?

Not sure. I posted this thread two weeks ago and it has not been moved.