Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

something
Topic Author

YYZ, YOW, YUL - Many Questions

Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:11 am

Hey,

Unfortunately this part of the airliners.net forums isn't very heavily frequented and my questions come at a very late time (2 days in advance), but I hope I can still find some answers here  

I just stumbled upon an offer to fly into YYZ and stay for a week, then fly back home. Now I am romancing with the idea of staying in Toronto for a few days and then go and visit Montreal. Now I am wondering as to how to go about this best.

- How many days should I stay in Toronto, how many days in Montreal?

- I want to do sight seeing mostly, but do want to spend a day or so spotting at YUL.

- What's the best way to get from Toronto to Montreal? Should I rent a car? Trenton Air Force Base and YOW are on the way and could be interesting. Is it worth it stopping by there, and is the car ride enjoyable and scenic, or are these airports inaccessible and lame (little traffic) and the road trip dull and boring?

- On the way back I want to fly YUL-YTZ. Should I choose Porter or Air Canada? AC is a bit cheaper, but Porter looks nicer on the inside. What is the better airline?

- What would you recommend to do and see in Toronto and Montreal? Any ''insider tips''? Good restaurants? Good shopping malls? Good photo opportunities?

- Lastly, are there any locals on these boards that want to meet up for some spotting or some photography?

Thanks so much in advance  
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

YYZRWY23

RE: YYZ, YOW, YUL - Many Questions

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm

Quoting something (Thread starter):
How many days should I stay in Toronto, how many days in Montreal?

You really need to look up attractions in each city and determine it that way. I have lived 10 minutes north of Toronto my whole life and still haven't seen everything it has to offer.

What's the best way to get from Toronto to Montreal?

Plane, train, or automobile. The drive isn't really scenic, but I haven't driven this route in years. The train would probably be more scenic, and is a nice relaxing ride. If you are staying downtown and decide to fly, use YTZ and go with either PD or AC. If you are staying more north, depending on where, YYZ may be just as viable. PM me and I can let you know if you'd like.

What would you recommend to do and see in Toronto and Montreal?

Personal Recommendations: CN Tower, St. Lawrence Market, Yonge and Dundas (lively on weekends), then there is walking around Yorkville, walking on Bloor Street and Queen Street. You could also check out Centre Island, which is a quick ferry across the lake. It is a nice place to spend a few hours or even the day, get some food, walk around the island. If you have anything in mind already, let me know and I can let you know if they are worth doing or not. Haven't been to Montreal in years so I can't help much there.

Good restaurants?

Too many to count. And it all depends on your taste, budget, location, etc. One nice place to eat is 360. It is the restaurant on top of the CN Tower and offers great views of the city and surrounding areas as the pod rotates 360 degrees around the tower. I recommend it at night, with all the city lights. Note that it is quite expensive. A dinner for two cost me $250 but the food quality is excellent (and this girl had particularly high standards....   ).

Your hotel can probably make good recommendations for the area you are in. It is a huge city, and as I said, still haven't seen so much of it in over 19 years.

Good shopping malls? Good photo opportunities?

If you are a big time shopper, you will love Yorkdale. Crowded as it may be, it has all the major stores, tons of other stores, and is a shopping hub. It is located in the north end of the city, but is easily accessible via subway (Yorkdale has its own station) and is about a 25-30 minute subway ride from the downtown core.

Eaton Centre is also a decent mall, but I have never thought it was particularly great (but it is located at Yonge & Dundas so you may find yourself there anyways).

Another big shopping mall is Vaughan Mills. It is located north of the city in Vaughan which borders Toronto but it is fairly north of it. It is a big mall, but Yorkdale would probably suffice.

Good photo opps can be found downtown, with the CN Tower, Rogers Centre, Lake Ontario, and various buildings and sceneries. Plus if you are downtown, you could spot at YTZ. Almost all Q400's from AC and PD, but you can see some GA aircraft and sometimes Medivac helicopters.

PM me if you want any other info, or help with specifics like transit.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

reifel

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:54 pm

If you're on a budget you can also take Megabus from Montreal to Toronto. They sometimes have good offers.
Also: It may be cheaper to take two tickets (Toronto-Kingston and Kingston-Toronto) as it may be cheaper then a through ticket. You may also use this to spend a few hours in Kingston, although I'm not sure if it's worth it.

StarAC17

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:26 am

- What's the best way to get from Toronto to Montreal? Should I rent a car? Trenton Air Force Base and YOW are on the way and could be interesting. Is it worth it stopping by there, and is the car ride enjoyable and scenic, or are these airports inaccessible and lame (little traffic) and the road trip dull and boring?

Its about a 5 hour drive from Toronto to Montreal and its nothing special as its all highway driving. YOW isn't really on the way to YUL, you have to drive IIRC about an hour or so north of the 401 and its a 2 hour drive from Ottawa to Montreal. So if you are going to see Ottawa and not feel rushed I would spend at least one night there

- I want to do sight seeing mostly, but do want to spend a day or so spotting at YUL.

If you are going to be in the Toronto area make a day trip to Niagra Falls and then I would spend the rest of the time exploring areas around the city centre, which was mentioned in reply 1. Other things to do if you have an interest in catch a Jays game if they are playing at home or visit the Hockey Hall of Fame, as well if you want to visit the Steamwhistle brewery.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!