Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alasizon
Topic Author

Most Understaffed Station

Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:27 pm

I'm curious as to what everyone believes is the most understaffed station (MX, CS, Ramp, etc.) for each airline.

I don't want this to turn into a debate about the labor problems at various airlines but I'm curious to hear what the opinions are on the understaffed stations.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Meteorologist

RE: Most Understaffed Station

Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Pretty limited experience with this station, but my two trips there in the last few years were pretty abysmal at the counter...DL at CLT. They had totally overwhelmed staff and enough counter space for about half the flights that they operate IMO.

For the most part, it seems the understaffing situation is much more under control than after 9/11. Technology seems to have done its job, and unless there are significant irrops, most airlines do a fairly good job of managing even the busiest days.

malaysia

Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:55 pm

I noticed at OAK, US was understaffed, they eliminated all the Shift Managers and it was just the Station Manager and the Union Supervisors whom had no leadership skills whatsoever. I had requested a CRO when I met with the Supervisor on duty, the reply was that they had no idea who was one now and said that since the shift managers were the last CRO/GSC and they guessed it was just the Station manager whom was already off shift.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

odysseus9001

Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Based on personal experience? DL at BWI during peak periods.

John

airtran737

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:10 pm

When I worked at FL in MKE (when it opened until 2006) we would routinely work a flight with 5 people. One gate agent, the person who closed out the ticket counter would then go to baggage service, two ramp agents and a bag runner to bring the upload bags, and then run the download bags to the carousel. Needless to say 25 minute turns were difficult, but we knocked them out.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

RWA380

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:43 pm

I was watching "Undercover Boss" on TV, the head of F9 went undercover aa a potential new employee, he visited their OKC station, I'm almost 100% it was OKC. Anyway same lady did check in counter, gate and loaded the bags. Seems pretty understaffed to me. She was working in high temps, sweating on the ramp, then came inside to do gate and counter work for the passengers. Didn't seem, based on her comments, she was all that well paid either. I will say she had a great attitude about the situation. The boss guy didn't fair half as well. Good insight on F9.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Type-Rated

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:13 pm

The question is did they hire more help for the lady in OKC? Or is she still there doing it alone?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

PI4EVER

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:02 pm

DL in BNA and STL and US in MEM.
watch what you want. you may get it.

Jonathanxxxx

Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Anyone ever been to Customs in T4 at FLL? Wins hands down .

fbgdavidson

Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 5):
I was watching "Undercover Boss" on TV, the head of F9 went undercover aa a potential new employee, he visited their OKC station, I'm almost 100% it was OKC. Anyway same lady did check in counter, gate and loaded the bags. Seems pretty understaffed to me.

There's a lady with AA at RIC. I've had her handwrite a paper ticket (8 coupon books worth in one sitting!), check me in, be gate agent, have seen her load bags and drive the tug!   
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey