Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BNAOWB
Topic Author

Wrong Airport / Wrong Date Passengers?

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:13 pm

How common is it for inexperienced travelers to show up at the wrong airport (for example, showing up at LHR instead of LGW) or to show up on the wrong date (for example, 24 hours late for a 00:05 departure)?

Do any airlines have procedures designed to prevent this sort of confusion? Perhaps printed verbage on an itinerary that says something like "This airline serves 2 airports in the London area - please be aware that your flight departs from London Gatwick, not London Heathrow" or "It is recommended that you arrive at the airport by 21:00 on Friday October 7th for your 00:05 flight on Saturday October 8th"?

DALelite

RE: Wrong Airport / Wrong Date Passengers?

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:24 pm

That happend to me 23 years ago. I was booked on a flight from LGA to MCO but i went to JFK instead, since i didn't know that New York area had three different Airports. While standing at the check-in counter, a Lady stopped by for some information on a incoming flight. She also was at the wrong Airport and gave me a lift to La Guardia.

cheers: DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

flymia

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 pm

I know of a few girls who were studying with me in BCN about 1.5 years ago who showed up to the airport 12 hours late. Being Americans they did not get the 24 hour time thing. They booked a 06:05 flight to CDG thinking it was 06:05pm instead of booking the 18:05 flight  
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

lhr380

Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Seen people come to LHR booked on LCY and LGW flights, had someone came a month early, someone a month late, and people come for a flight at 0900 that is actually a flight at 1900.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

swissgabe

Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:04 pm

I never managed to show up at the wrong airport so far but I heard a story of a guy who ended up in Vientiane, Laos but actually he wanted to go to Vietnam.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

jetblast

Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 am

We have it fairly frequently here at BWI....people showing up here and they are supposed to be at either DCA or IAD.

"Well, I thought they were all the same...."
Speedbird Concorde One

FlyboyOz

Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:23 am

On e-ticket and itnerary, it shows that you must be at the airport for check-in at 11:00pm and then board the plane at 2am the next day.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

FlyingHollander

Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:14 am

My dad once arrived at SBN 12 hours early for his 20:00 departure. His ticket said 08:00...and then on the next line it said PM. Luckily we only lived 15 minutes away, so we went home for the rest of the day. It was our own fault for not reading the ticket information correctly, and that is almost always the case. It's the passengers responsibility to be at the right place at the right time, not the airline's. I do think using a 24 hour system solves a lot of problems and in the case they use the AM/PM system, I think this should be place immediately next to the time (not the next line).
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

signol

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 am

I almost did, when KL changed their schedule for a 23.50 departure to 00.10, and I was rebooked on the same day (ie. 23h20 earlier...) I noticed the change a few weeks before, called them, and had my flight changed to the one only 20 mins later than the originally booked one. Route was JNB-AMS.

I have forgotten my passport before, I didn't think it would be a problem as I was flying to Ireland where passport is not necessary for UK citizens, but FR didn't agree - I was offered the opportunity to return to checkin check in normally (I'd checked in online) using my driving license as ID but by then it would be too late, and it was only a day trip anyway. Total lost: £0.04 flights, £8 car park...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

vhqpa

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:17 am

Used to happen all the time when I work with Greyhound. On a wednesday morning you'd be costing the manifest from the overnight Mount Isa arrival and you'd get and no show who were supposed to be boarding at Mitchell at 0045. The following day you'd be costing the thursday morning arrival and you'd recognise the same name handwritten as boarding at coach at Mitchell at 0045 24 hours later then they booked. I'd would've been interesting to see how the driver dealt with problems arising from extra passengers occupying seats assigned to passenger at stops further down or heaven forbid a 100% full coach situation where a paying passenger can't fit on because some other dickhead who can't read a calendar was given their seat. We had a policy where if a passenger no shows they forfeit their reservation but drivers often turned a blind eye.

It didn't help their cause that the itineraries were written so clearly to prevent this problem from occurring

Depart
MITCHELL (MTQ)
0045 (12:45 AM) Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Arrive
BRISBANE (BNE)
0925 (09:25 AM) Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Although I was the one who made the mistake a couple years ago. I was booking a hotel in Darwin I was tired that night and forgot about the universal 1000 check out/1400 check in. Because my flight arrived at 0025 on the saturday morning I booked the hotel from the saturday forgetting that I should've booked the preceding friday as well.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

rdwootty

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 pm

The worst is when passengers book Birmingham Alabama instead of Birmingham UK and then expect to fly to New York for $400!! They are amazed that they have made a mistake and insist it is not thier fault!!
It then means they have to fork out for a full fare ticket to get to the destination they have booked. Almost a weely occurrance. There are the benefits of the Internet!!

gabrielchew

Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:09 pm

My Dad (a Gold frequent flyer) went to LHR instead of LGW for a flight to Bucharest years ago. BA flew from LGW. Luckily, he had a full fare Biz ticket, so was able to get on a Tarom flight from LHR. He said the flight attendant tried to get him and the only biz pax drunk - it was a 9am flight!

I also had a friend who booked a flight for 0030, but for the wrong day. Luckily they realised the morning of the flight, so were able to get to the airport ontime, but they lost 24 hours of their holiday.

Years ago, I was flying from Guangzhou to Urumqi in China. My flight was due to land at 0010. I booked a hotel at the same time as the flight, but obviously for the previous day. As I was abaot to board the flight, I got a call from the travel agents asking why I said I'd be arriving at 0100 at the hotel (I'd put that in the extra box). They just couldn't understand what I was doing, so in the end they cancelled the hotel. So angry with them!
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

jgw787

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:10 pm

From what I here many people who fly ANA LAX-HND show up a day late a lot since it is a midnight departure. One time I was checking in at BOS and the agent could not find the reservation for the person in front of me until he looked at the date and she showed up a month early.

goldorak

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Quoting rdwootty (Reply 10):
There are the benefits of the Internet!!

You don't need the Internet to make mistakes. This forum is full of stories of US pax who called their favorite US airline (call center delocalized in India) to book a domestic ticket to OAK (Oakland, California) and ended up with a ticket to Auckland, New Zealand...

EUflyer

Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Friends of mine did it a few years back for a departure around 0030 ish in the christmas holiday period, turned up 22 hours late, then had a 6 day wait for seats together due to the holiday season.

Viscount724

Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:41 am

It used to be fairly common at HNL in the days when almost all flights stopped there en route to/from the South Pacific. Most HNL-SYD flights left just before or after midnight, as did some flights originating SYD that continued to the west coast. And some carriers only operated 2 or 3 times a week. Passengers would sometimes check in on the wrong day and discover their airline counter closed and deserted.

e38

Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:13 am

Quoting BNAOWB (thread starter): Do any airlines have procedures designed to prevent this sort of confusion?

I don't think so.

For the most part airlines expect their adult passengers to be mature and responsible and pay attention to their travel details. I'm not saying passengers are mature, responsible, and pay attention to their travel details (as many of the responders have mentioned), but at least the airlines expect that.

I was recently on a flight that departed the airport at 0005 (12:05 a.m.) and you bet, I checked, double checked, and triple checked against a calendar to make sure it was exactly the itinerary I wanted before I hit the "purchase ticket" button on my computer.

It worked out just fine.

e38

AR385

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:59 pm

Quoting e38 (Reply 16):
For the most part airlines expect their adult passengers to be mature and responsible and pay attention to their travel details. I'm not saying passengers are mature, responsible, and pay attention to their travel details (as many of the responders have mentioned), but at least the airlines expect that.

It might come as a surprise to you but a lot of people don´t know the city the are departing/arriving from has more than one airport, much less more than two, with major airline operations in all of them. It has nothing to do with being mature or responsible.

Same thing with the AM/PM thing. A lot of countries use the 24hr. thing, but many don´t.

The issue the OP mentions happens once in a while to people of all walks of life. Businessmen, housewives, students, hardly irresponsible or immature people in my opinion.

The worst, in my opinion, is when you buy a train ticket from point A to B and you don´t realize the train crosses into a small country in between for which you have no VISA. And, they check your passport.

usflyer msp

Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 pm

We find people thinking they are in Indianapolis, IN or Annapolis, MD on a weekly basis at MSP. One I even encountered a particularly dumb person that booked a flight to Saint Paul, MN instead Sao Paulo, Brazil. He thought the booking engines translated the city names. As if you couldn't tell by the language or the weather that you were in the wrong place?

airport1970

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:54 am

Been there done that.
I show up at check-in for a Delta flight out of my hometown.. giving the agent my info she starts to peck away on the keyboard.. and some more and some more and some more.. I ask if there is anything wrong and she looks up with a smile and a smirk says 'nope.. you're just a day late'. Whoops. I had typo-ed my online reservation. She let it slide.  

[Edited 2011-10-11 02:18:14]

vhqpa

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:54 am

I can remember last year I took my sister on a shopping day trip. I was booking QF BNE-SYD and DJ SYD-BNE on separate windows and after I booked I noticed the flight down was booked for the Thursday morning and the return flight was booked for the Wednesday evening. Luckily I noticed straight away so it was only a $100 change fee rather then getting to the airport and be told "sorry you're a day early come back tomorrow morning"
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

SRQKEF

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:25 pm

I once booked a 6 PM flight instead of 6 AM. I was flying jetBlue BOS-TPA and the last times I had flown that route I booked the 6 AM flight. B6 had dropped B6444 (6.05 am departure) for a short period and I booked flight that departed at 6.10 (I'm from Iceland and here we use 24hr clock not AM/PM). I got to the airport check-in at 4.45 am and tried to check-in at the kiosk and got the message: You can't check-in until 6 hours prior your flight. Got to the check-in, figured out my mistake and had a great day in Boston. 
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

DocGATTACA

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:42 pm

I had a somewhat related experience in the early eighties. My then girlfriend and I were flying from Frankfurt to Malta. However, the travel agent that we used provided us with the wrong itinerary. The upshot was that we arrived 2h late for a flight on Air Malta. The travel agent later achieved notoriety in his own right as the prime suspect in a murder investigation (yes he did it). In any event, I thought we were completely screwed since we were supposed to be connecting with friends in Valetta (pre cell phones of course). However, we asked a Lufthansa customer service agent what we could do about this. Amazingly she went out of her way to help us despite the fact that it was nothing to do with LH. She got us on a flight to London connecting on BA down to Malta. At no charge!! I have always had a soft spot for LH since then. Given that I have had Star Alliance Gold status for many years, I will usually fly LH if I have a choice. Over the years I have probably spent thousands of $$ with LH because of this one positive experience. The moral of this story is be nice to CSAs, because one of these days you might really need one on your side.

floridaflyboy

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Growing up in Montana, it seemed like we'd see an article in the paper from time to time about an inexperienced traveler accidentally booking a ticket to SDY instead of SYD. Occasionally, they'd even make it all the way to SDY.
Good goes around!

AirCanada787

Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:34 pm

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 23):
Growing up in Montana, it seemed like we'd see an article in the paper from time to time about an inexperienced traveler accidentally booking a ticket to SDY instead of SYD. Occasionally, they'd even make it all the way to SDY.

Interesting, here in Nova Scotia every once in a while we get people who wanted to go to SYD as well, but instead end up in YQY (Sydney, Nova Scotia). In 2002 a British couple landed in YQY and there have been other cases since then. Sometimes it has been the travel agents who have made the mistake other times the people travelling had booked it themselves. Most of the people comment they felt something was wrong when they board what is usually a 25 seat Dash-8 aircraft in YHZ for the flight to YQY.

Links to stories:
British couple in 2002:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2172858.stm

A Dutch man and his grandson in August 2009:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nd-Canada-flying-wrong-Sydney.html

Italians in July 2010:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...ry/2010/07/07/ns-wrong-sydney.html
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

aa61hvy

Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Booked a ticket DFW-DAY on what I thought was a Thursday, when I was packing Wednesday night I looked at my e-ticket and realized I missed the flight and screwed up the dates. Luckily a nice woman at AA's 800 # only charged me 50 bucks for the change as she understood my dumbass move.
Go big or go home

JJJ

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Many FR passengers show up at BCN instead of GRO or REU. Now that FR flies to BCN as well I guess it's less than it used to.

US/Canadian and Japanese on an euro itinerary, for the most part.

sw733

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:40 am

Quoting FlyingHollander (Reply 7):
It's the passengers responsibility to be at the right place at the right time, not the airline's

Well, it kind of is the airline's responsibility to have their plane at the right place at the right time too  
Quoting signol (Reply 8):
when KL changed their schedule for a 23.50 departure to 00.10,

Just seems like a dumb schedule change on KLM's behalf!

Quoting rdwootty (Reply 10):
The worst is when passengers book Birmingham Alabama instead of Birmingham UK and then expect to fly to New York for $400!!

Hey now, I flew roundtrip ORD-DUB-ORD for $300 with tax/fee back in college (circa 2005)!!

signol

Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 27):
Just seems like a dumb schedule change on KLM's behalf!

That wasn't so bad, it was the automatic rebooking on the flight "the same day", albeit 23 hours difference, when there was a new flight only a few minutes from the original...

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

bobnwa

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Last year in Italy ,I went to the train station in Florence to reserve and buy two tickets from Florence to Vareena Italy, the next day. Got my tickets and arrived at the station the following day and discovered I had tickets to Verona Italy. I guess I pronounced Vareena wrong!!!

TLG

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:10 am

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 23):

I'd think that boarding a turboprop in BIL bound for the destination would be a clue that something's not right.  

-TLG