Confuscius
Topic Author

Things To See And Do In Singapore

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:00 am

I'll be in the city-state for two nights a few weeks from today. I don't know much about Singapore except that it's the home of A.net's very own 9V-SVA (formerly known as GUNDU) and Lee Kuan Yew. They may be the same person. Hmm...   

Also, I've heard the cuisine is great and I have to try chicken and rice at a hawker centre.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

RE: Things To See And Do In Singapore

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:14 am

Quoting Confuscius (Thread starter):
I don't know much about Singapore except that it's the home of A.net's very own 9V-SVA (formerly known as GUNDU) and Lee Kuan Yew.

...and just a 2 hour flight away from me.  
Also, I've heard the cuisine is great and I have to try chicken and rice at a hawker centre.

Go to their 7-Elevens. They have mashed potoato dispensing machines.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj96/Rush8track/Bangkok020.jpg
Bring back the Concorde

MCOGVADCA

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:17 am

The Marina Bay Sands complex is worth a visit, even if you're not a gambler. The place is MASSIVE, there are fantastic restaurants and shops, and the view from the park at the top is spectacular. It's truly a sight to behold.

I enjoy wandering around Arab Street and Little India; If you're a fan of South Indian cuisine, having a meal on a banana leaf is a must!

I like to stroll down Clarke Quay for hilarious tourist watching, and pick up Hooters Singapore apparel for my friends. They are not the most mature.

I'm a big fan of birds, and there's a huge bird park outside downtown called the Jurong Bird Park. If you happen to like avian fauna, it's worth a visit. If birds aren't your thing, I wouldn't waste your time.

Be warned: I don't know if you're a drinker, but alcohol is taxed heavily in the city-state, making drinking prohibitively expensive, especially around tourist areas like Clarke Quay.

Hope this helps, have fun! (I'm going myself in a few weeks, and can't wait)
18 months: pvg sea lax mco lgw stn rak cmn saw tlv ltn gva mrs lys lhr mia gig jfk sof pmi kut ktw nce fni dfw bsl oak

Confuscius
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:34 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 1):
...and just a 2 hour flight away from me.

I thought about One night in Bangkok, Oriental setting. But the airfare from Manila is too expensive.

Go to their 7-Elevens. They have mashed potoato dispensing machines.

7-Eleven!? Is that Indian cuisine? 
Quoting MCOGVADCA (Reply 2):
Be warned: I don't know if you're a drinker, but alcohol is taxed heavily in the city-state, making drinking prohibitively expensive, especially around tourist areas like Clarke Quay.

Thanks for the heads up. I hope they don't cane drunkards!  

And thanks for the other suggestions...much appreciated.
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:45 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 3):
I thought about One night in Bangkok, Oriental setting. But the airfare from Manila is too expensive.

It's cheap from Singapore.
There are a lot of deals on Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines often on the same day or day before purchase. Usually about $90 one-way. Hotels here in Bangkok are cheap.

7-Eleven!? Is that Indian cuisine? Quoting MCOGVADCA (Reply 2):

LOL!   

And thanks for the other suggestions...much appreciated.

Stay out of trouble. We don't want you to get cained.
Bring back the Concorde

Confuscius
Topic Author

Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:57 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
It's cheap from Singapore.
There are a lot of deals on Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines often on the same day or day before purchase. Usually about $90 one-way.

I should've thought about that before I purchased a round trip ticket. I may go to Hong Kong instead, the fares are less than $200.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 4):
Hotels here in Bangkok are cheap.

No thanks, I have a place to stay for free!  

Hey Larry, I get to fly on an A340 from Las Vegas. Should I lose weight so it can take off easily from a hot and high airport? 
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:02 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 5):
Hey Larry, I get to fly on an A340 from Las Vegas. Should I lose weight so it can take off easily from a hot and high airport?

LOL!
You'll have a much more pleasant and graceful takoff than that unattractive twin that some airlines use.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 5):
No thanks, I have a place to stay for free!

Sorry I can't offer what she can offer.
Bring back the Concorde

YokoTsuno

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:17 pm

1) Unless animals are really not your thing you might consider the Night Safari. I often go there with foreign colleagues and they always enjoy it. http://www.nightsafari.com.sg/

2) If you like electronics Sim Lim Square or Funan might interest you. The place, especially the first one is a tourist trap and many of the stores inside the building have a questionable reputation. Nevertheless the selection is huge and impressive for a first time visitor, and even if you have no intention to buy at all it's worth a visit. If you do consider a product DO your homework.
http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Travel...nics.Beware.The.Tourist.Traps.html

3) Dempsey Hill. The former barracks of the British army. http://www.dempseyhill.com/tenants.htm

4) Lau Pa Sat. A colonial-era fish market converted into a food court. Very good ambience, but steep prices.
http://www.laupasat.biz/home.html

5) Boat and Clark Quay. If you want to be seen, Pubs, Discos, Restaurants.

6) Geylang. Red-light district. Don't panic, this place is probably the only red-light disctrict in the world where they believe you when you say. "I went there to eat" It is the place to be for locals in search of "authentic" local cuisine. You'll be spoilt for choice, nobody will rip you off (at least not when it comes to your wallet ) and while you're eating you'll enjoy the and hustle and bustle.

7) Singapore Flyer. Ferris wheel like in London.

Enjoy your trip.

tcasalert

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:23 pm

1) Do the Duck tour (http://www.ducktours.com.sg/) - a great way to see the city!

2) Visit 'Kenny Rogers Roasters' in SunTec City  
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

lszb

Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 7):
4) Lau Pa Sat. A colonial-era fish market converted into a food court. Very good ambience, but steep prices.
http://www.laupasat.biz/home.html

I second that.
one amazing piece of colonial architecture

I also liked the chinatown complex.
its behind the touristy chinatown stuff.
http://www.singapore-vacation-attractions.com/hawker-food.html

The red dot design museum is also worth a visit.
If you like spectacular architecture then visit the SOTA (School of the arts) building.
--> http://singaporearchitecture.wordpre...-the-arts-sota-by-woha-architects/

From there you can walk straight ahead into the orchard road for a shopping spree.....

Enjoy!

airtrainer

Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:42 pm

As YokoTsuno mentioned above, the Night Safari at the Singapore Zoo is really great !

Also a walk in the botanical garden can be a nice experience if you want to relax.
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Confuscius
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:46 am

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Now I have a pretty good idea where to go.

Can anyone tell me where this statue is located? I have to pay homage...

Ain't I a stinker?

comorin

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:04 am

Have a Singapore Sling at the Raffles Hotel.

btw 'GUNDU' means 'Fatso' in Tamil.

Superfly

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:40 am

6) Geylang. Red-light district. Don't panic, this place is probably the only red-light disctrict in the world where they believe you when you say. "I went there to eat" It is the place to be for locals in search of "authentic" local cuisine.

That's where I saw the mashed potato dispensing machine.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 11):
Thank you for all of your suggestions. Now I have a pretty good idea where to go.

Now that brings back some memories.
Bring back the Concorde

Springbok747

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:41 am

Quoting comorin (Reply 12):

Hahahahahaa..really? Had no idea.

Funan mall has some pretty nifty new electronics..I've bought a couple of things (including the hard to find JBL encounter speakers). Be careful though..we got ripped off after buying a camera. The guy was such a good seller..he talked us into buying filters etc for the camera. Turns out we paid more than double for them, they're available on Amazon and other websites for much much less.

The night safari is also pretty good. And do try some Indian food in SIN..its some of the best I've eaten (outside India of course    )
אני תומך בישראל

Confuscius
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 am

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 14):

Hahahahahaa..really? Had no idea.

And all the while I thought it meant gay in Urdu. Thanks for the clarification.  

Has anyone tried Peranakan cuisine? That's another popular cuisine there.
Ain't I a stinker?

steex

Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:56 am

Several of the other suggestions are excellent (I'm especially partial to the night safari), but I'll add that the botanic gardens are beautiful and mostly free - only the National Orchid Garden has a modest fee, and I thought it was well worth the price. Additionally, I thought the National Museum of Singapore was fascinating and could've spent the better part of a day there.

When I went, I spent one day just doing a casual walking tour that started at Fort Canning Park, wandered past St. Andrew's Cathedral to the War Memorial, then down through the Esplanade and across the bridge to the Merlion. From there I wandered the downtown core and then walked all the way out to Marina Bay Sands, checking out some of the basement malls/corridors on the way. When I left there, I headed back through downtown to Chinatown to wander the streets and look around.

I thought that was a pretty easy day that allowed me to really see a lot of the central features at the surface level. For such a short visit, it might be worth doing something of that nature and then picking just a few things to do more in-depth afterward.

Zkpilot

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 am

Very touristy, but you should hit up the longbar in Raffles, have a Singapore Sling.
I also recommend the Night Safari. Singapore used to be great for shopping but it is pretty expensive these days!
64 types. 44 countries. 24 airlines.

WestWing

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:31 am

Two words: Chilli Crab. My mouth waters just typing the words. I personally prefer chilli crab over black pepper crab.
The best time to plant a tree is 40 years ago. The second best time is today.

signol

Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:49 am

Have a Singapore Sling at the Raffles Hotel.
Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 17):
longbar in Raffles, have a Singapore Sling

Only place in Asia that I was short-changed  

Sentosa Island is interesting, especially the war museum part (if it's still there). The same with the Changi POW camp museum.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

airtrainer

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Haha ! That's the Merlion : http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=1.286...1,0.01&q=1.286814,103.854417&hl=fr
Life is short : eat dessert first !

zrs70

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Singapore is hot and humid. We did as many evening activities as possible. A highlight was a midnight trip to the zoo!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

tcasalert

Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 21):
Singapore is hot and humid. We did as many evening activities as possible. A highlight was a midnight trip to the zoo!

Agreed, walking around in the middle of the day is pure torture, nothing less. You wonder why you don't see anybody walking around outdoors, everyone is either in air conditioned malls or air conditioned vehicles!
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

jcs17

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:38 am

I'd suggest vandalism, it can lead to a rather unique experience.  
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

YokoTsuno

Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:50 am

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 20):
Haha ! That's the Merlion

Technically speaking there're two one at the location mentioned and one on Sentosa Island @ Beach View. Their resemblance is remarkable. I always wondered if both were family of each other  .

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 14):
Turns out we paid more than double for them, they're available on Amazon

You won't be the last one falling for this. They just keep coming.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 15):
Has anyone tried Peranakan cuisine?

You can try that at Novena Gardens, Thomson Road, roughly opposite Novena Church. A stone's throw away from the train station.

EDICHC

Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:38 am

6) Geylang. Red-light district. Don't panic, this place is probably the only red-light disctrict in the world where they believe you when you say. "I went there to eat" It is the place to be for locals in search of "authentic" local cuisine.

Don't let that put you off, we stayed in hotels in Geylang twice before we realised it was the red light district. The eateries there are fab. Hotels are basic but clean and adequate and very reasonably priced. Also it is very handy for the metro EW line which serves Changi.
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Superfly

Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:15 am

Quoting EDICHC (Reply 25):

Don't let that put you off, we stayed in hotels in Geylang twice before we realised it was the red light district. The eateries there are fab. Hotels are basic but clean and adequate and very reasonably priced. Also it is very handy for the metro EW line which serves Changi.

Confuscius isn't afraid of red light districts.

I don't know much about Singapore except that it's the home of A.net's very own 9V-SVA (formerly known as GUNDU)

Is 9V-SVA still around? I may be down that weekend. Perhaps a Singapore airliners.net meet is in the making here.  
Quoting jcs17 (Reply 23):
Bring back the Concorde

EDICHC

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:18 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
Confuscius isn't afraid of red light districts.

Certainly not in Singapore you shouldn't be. I've never seen such gorgeous looking 'working' girls.   

Pity I've never been there as a single guy.   
A300/319/320/346 ATR72 B722/732/3/4/5/6/8/742/4/752/762/3/772/3 BAC111 BAe146 C172 DHC1/6/8 HS121 MD80 PA28

Superfly

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:51 am

How is SIN for spotting?
They do get the AN-12 from Don Mueang and of course the A380 from several different carriers including their own Singapore Airlines.

I am somewhat of a super-star over here. I was at the Toy Studio model aircraft shop here in Bangkok last year and a guy shouts; "Superfly"!
He was a guy from Singapore that visits Airliners.net often and he recognized me. I know a few other aviation buffs down in SIN. That would be neat to have a gathering there since there really hasn't been one in Singapore.
Any of you Singapore members know a guy named Leslie?
Bring back the Concorde

EDICHC

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
That would be neat to have a gathering there since there really hasn't been one in Singapore.

I'll be passing through SIN on 3rd of March next year.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 6):
You'll have a much more pleasant and graceful takoff than that unattractive twin that some airlines use.

I'm going to help the A340 takeoff by flapping my arms! 

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 24):
You can try that at Novena Gardens, Thomson Road, roughly opposite Novena Church. A stone's throw away from the train station.

Thanks, not very far from my hotel. It's the next MRT station.

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 24):
Quoting airtrainer (Reply 20):
Haha ! That's the Merlion

Technically speaking there're two one at the location mentioned and one on Sentosa Island @ Beach View. Their resemblance is remarkable.

It seems like GUNDU's statues are ubiquitous in SIngapore.

Ain't I a stinker?

bwest

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:59 pm

I agree with the others suggesting the night safari, I've done it twice already, very enjoyable.

If you like architecture, go and have a drink in the lobby of Parkview square building, it's a recent building but the special thing is that it's built in the art deco style. The outside is already amazing but the lobby is just spectacular.

If you want to do some spotting and at the same time enjoy some time at the beach, head out to Changi village and take a walk along the coast (it's rather far, you might wanna rent a bike) until you reach the strip of beach opposite end of the runway. I spent a few afternoons there, suntanning on the beach, watching the planes take off overhead. Last time I was there, a 707 of the Singapore airforce was doing touch and go's, impressive sight!

Ryanair!!!

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 15):
as anyone tried Peranakan cuisine? That's another popular cuisine there.

I am Peranakan myself and I have yet to eat at a truly great Peranakan restaurant. Just like Thai food, Peranakan food's preparation is a killer and many restaurants I feel take the easy way out by watering recipes down and passing them off as authentic. And you normally pay sky high prices for it.

If you REALLY crave for it or just plain curious, I suggest you head for Joo Chiat (not too far from the Geylang Red Light district) because that is a Peranakan enclave - and host several Peranakan eateries. Still not optimum but stop short of me getting my mum to whip up a multi course meal for you, Joo Chiat is a compromise for now.  
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Confuscius
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:30 am

...and just a 2 hour flight away

Larry, looks like I can't make it. The airfare is still too expensive. Going to Bangkok from Singapore is cheap but the trip back to Manila is not. Maybe next time...

Quoting Superfly (Reply 26):
Is 9V-SVA still around?

He hasn't been around. There's a compulsory service there and perhaps he got drafted into the Singapore Boys Scouts.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 32):
Still not optimum but stop short of me getting my mum to whip up a multi course meal for you,

Sure, your mum can cook me a meal. Please send it to my hotel on 23 October. The address is 39 Scotts Rd. 228230.  
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:51 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 33):
Larry, looks like I can't make it. The airfare is still too expensive. Going to Bangkok from Singapore is cheap but the trip back to Manila is not. Maybe next time...

When are you going to Hong Kong?
There is a 3-day holiday weekend here in Thailand later this month.
Perhaps I can get an Orient Thai 747-300 flight up to Hong Kong.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 33):
He hasn't been around. There's a compulsory service there and perhaps he got drafted into the Singapore Boys Scouts.

Is caning criminals part of his required service?
Bring back the Concorde

Confuscius
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 34):
When are you going to Hong Kong?

That plan has been shelved as well. I think I'll do a tour of Corregidor Island and play a round of golf in Manila instead. Bangkok is in my plans in the future. Maybe in 2013, if the world doesn't end in Dec 2012.

No, but caning GUNDU is compulsory!   
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:21 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 35):
That plan has been shelved as well. I think I'll do a tour of Corregidor Island and play a round of golf in Manila instead. Bangkok is in my plans in the future. Maybe in 2013, if the world doesn't end in Dec 2012.

How about extending your stay in Singapore to get the cheap ticket to BKK?
Thai Airways and Singapore Airlines are practically giving away tickets on that route this month.
Bring back the Concorde

Confuscius
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:52 pm

Larry, I can't access my yahoo mail from my iPad. I'm leaving for Singapore from Manila on Saturday and will arrive at 7:30 PM. Please leave message here if you intend to meet...
Ain't I a stinker?

max999

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Quoting jcs17 (Reply 23):

Or try in chewing gum while in Singapore! Got to love that benevolent dictatorship!
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Superfly

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:30 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 37):
Larry, I can't access my yahoo mail from my iPad. I'm leaving for Singapore from Manila on Saturday and will arrive at 7:30 PM. Please leave message here if you intend to meet...

I'll send you an IM isnstead of boring eveyone else about the details.

Quoting max999 (Reply 38):
Or try in chewing gum while in Singapore! Got to love that benevolent dictatorship!

If it keeps the peace then I am all in favor of it.
Bring back the Concorde

Ryanair!!!

Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 am

Gotta love it when the ignorant speaks and spew these stupid comments. It's comparable to an episode of Jerry Springer featuring a sister in law sleeping with her father's mistress.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:45 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 39):

Superfly boring? You gotta be kidding!   ok I'll look forward on your IM.

I'm going to Lau Pa Sat saturday night, Botanical Garden sunday morning and lunch at Maxwell Road Centre. That's basically it.
Ain't I a stinker?

Superfly

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:59 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 41):
I'm going to Lau Pa Sat saturday night, Botanical Garden sunday morning and lunch at Maxwell Road Centre. That's basically it.

Are you going to visit Pubic Bay while in The Philippines?
Bring back the Concorde

YokoTsuno

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:03 pm

No, but if your buddy doesn't report at SAF, others get to try a brand new wip on his cute bum .

I have to dissapoint you. We don't have caning for chewing gum, at least not yet. Good thing btw, otherwise my undercarriage would be as blue as the KLM livery. Also no death penalty for this, unless you're chewing 500grams of weed.

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 40):
It's comparable to an episode of Jerry Springer featuring a sister in law sleeping with her father's mistress.

No that's definitely better than chewing gum   .

max999

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Quoting Ryanair!!! (Reply 40):
Gotta love it when the ignorant speaks and spew these stupid comments. It's comparable to an episode of Jerry Springer featuring a sister in law sleeping with her father's mistress.
Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 43):
I have to dissapoint you. We don't have caning for chewing gum, at least not yet. Good thing btw, otherwise my undercarriage would be as blue as the KLM livery. Also no death penalty for this, unless you're chewing 500grams of weed.

I do realize that the punishment of chewing gum is not caning. However, the fact that importing chewing gum is illegal in Singapore borders on the ridiculous. This type of punitive behavior by a government smacks of over-control of its own people. If the government can't trust its own people to keep the city clean, then just hire more cleaners.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

YokoTsuno

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:08 pm

Quoting max999 (Reply 44):
However, the fact that importing chewing gum is illegal in Singapore borders on the ridiculous. This type of punitive behavior by a government smacks of over-control of its own people.

I'll take that as you're going to handle the issue.

Perfect, I have always liked people with positive attitudes, individuals who take initiative, and resolve problems  .Hmmm.... I am beginning to sound like my boss.

Some ground intelligence. Before you commence your mission, I am one of the "its own people" and as a representative sample of the local species, having access to chewing gum is not exactly high on the priority list here.

Superfly

Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:00 am

Quoting YokoTsuno (Reply 45):
Some ground intelligence. Before you commence your mission, I am one of the "its own people" and as a representative sample of the local species, having access to chewing gum is not exactly high on the priority list here.

Same here!
As a result of Singapore's strict laws, the place is very civil, rule of law is respected and the place is very clean. Keep up the good work and don't listen to these weak-kneed, One Wold Government idiots at the U.N. that condemn your way of life.
Kudos to Singapore!

Bring back the Concorde

Ryanair!!!

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 am

Quoting max999 (Reply 44):
However, the fact that importing chewing gum is illegal in Singapore borders on the ridiculous. This type of punitive behavior by a government smacks of over-control of its own people. If the government can't trust its own people to keep the city clean, then just hire more cleaners.

If you've actually bothered to dig deeper as to the rationale behind this ban, then perhaps it won't sound so ridiculous from where you are some 12 hours behind.

Way back when chewing gum was still widely available, someone managed to stick it to an opened train door. Perhaps it was a combination of factors and position of this gum but the door got stuck. Long story short, the entire train network got grounded due to this stranded carriage. To cut a long story short, gum was banned after that episode. Not that anyone misses it, Singaporeans are some of the world's most highly travelled people so if we need a fix, we'll get our Wrigley's abroad. Plain and simple.

Punitive measures? Perhaps to you. What isn't? The so called democracy you enjoy? Guns blazing in high schools? Free speech = hate speeches peppered with words like "GOD" and "JESUS" on placards Westboro style? I'd take my peaceful and tranquil existence here any day, thank you. No chewing gum needed.

That being said I do not wish to be walking down the street in my Pradas and getting gum stuck on the sole.

ALexeu

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:58 pm

I agree with most things already mentioned. Just to add: Singapore Cable Car which connects main island with Sentosa. You should try as much as different foods as possible! Singapore also has its own coffee called kopi...

If you have more time, you can hop to Batam, Indonesia (by a ship) or to Johor, Malaysia with a bus.

Confuscius
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:09 am

I'm back in Manila since Monday. Talk about a tale between two cities. The organized and cleanliness of Singapore to the chaos and filth of Manila. I didn't see a single graffiti and panhandler in Singapore. The contrast between Changi and NAIA airports pretty much sums up the difference between the two cities.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 46):

I bought myself a Singapore is a fine city tee shirt. On the back list the fines for violating Singapore's laws.
Ain't I a stinker?