Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QantasA333
Topic Author

Why Would An Airport Terminal Skip A Gate Number?

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:38 am

It has only crossed my mind that my main airport ADL does not have a gate 17, however has gate 16 and 18. Look here: http://www.adelaideairport.com.au/assets/pdfs/T1FloorPlan.pdf

I can see that there is a gap where gate 17 should be, however can't see the logic behind having no gate. Is there a purpose for this sort of thing? What other airports have similar setups with gates?

fxramper

RE: Why Would An Airport Terminal Skip A Gate Numb

Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:43 am

in india it's because of superstition.   

i haven't paid much attention lately at EWR, but maybe the 9/11 gates.

wilco737

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:27 am

Quoting fxramper (Reply 1):

Yeah could be. Or someone was inable to count properly.

9/11

That's my room number in the hotel 

wilco737

57AZ

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:36 am

It may also be that the space for the missing gate exists, but is occupied by other facilities that could be removed if the space were needed for additional gate capacity.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

QantasA333
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 am

Quoting 57AZ (Reply 3):

It may also be that the space for the missing gate exists, but is occupied by other facilities that could be removed if the space were needed for additional gate capacity.

Because of the terminal being International/Domestic, there are large roof to ceiling glass doors which can be moved depending on the amount of international flights at the one time. However, there are no other obstacles in the way.

Also, ADL is the only Australian airport with gates beginning at 10 instead of 1. I assume this is for future expansion. I don't really see the point of there being no gate 17.

Akiestar

Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:32 am

In MNL, Terminal 1 does not have a Gate 8 or a Gate 13. Rumor has it that Ferdinand Marcos' numerology beliefs influenced the terminal's design, hence the lack of gates numbered 8 and 13.

CXfirst

Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:13 pm

There are lots of airports with missing gate numbers. There are also many reasons for them (not always logical though).

One scenario I've seen at some airports is on the pier, where odd numbers are on one side and even on the other, but due to configuration of pier, there is more space between each gate, therefore airports skip numbers on the side with larger spacing to always keep the higher numbers further down the pier (for passenger convenience).

Below is a rough "drawing of what I mean" (4 is skipped so passengers always know higher gate numbers are further down the pier)

-|++++|
-|++++|6
-|++++|
5|++++|
-|++++|
-|++++|
3|++++|
-|++++|2
-|++++|
1|++++|
-|++++|

Although my home airport in Norway doesn't skip numbers in a series, it does something much more strange. There are 4 gates, and they are numbers 27, 28, 29 and 30 (where 1-26 went I have no idea), and it's not like there are 26 other spots for aircraft to park. This is quite common at smaller airports in Scandinavia. I can't remember which airport, but one TR flew from an airport starting at gate 16, and again, no idea why.

-CXfirst

rduguy

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:08 pm

RDU Terminal 2, does the same thing...several (i think 5) are missing, some in sequential order, on both the C and D concourse.

AZA330

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 2):

Yeah could be. Or someone was inable to count properly.

On some planes Alitalia does not have row 17... and in the Italian "culture" 17 is often considered a "bad luck" number.

HAWK21M

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Looks like 17 was removed to create an access.

At times the opposite occurs if a gate needs to be placed between two bays then they use the albhabet eg 17,17A,18 etc.

Unless its 13.....But then there are bays/gates numbered 13 out here.....Normally it applies to seat row number or floor number.
To me I cleared my exams on Friday the 13th  
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

BC77008

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:23 pm

And now that I think about it, why do some airports, like IAH have gates with a letter beside it. IE: Gate B86 Gate B86A... Why not just call it Gate B87 instead of 86A?
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

YYZRWY23

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 10):
why do some airports, like IAH have gates with a letter beside it. IE: Gate B86 Gate B86A... Why not just call it Gate B87 instead of 86A?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this occurs when the gate can be split between two smaller aircraft, but can also be used for a larger one.

**my example is rough, I have no idea if this exact example works, but the idea is the same**

Example: 86 and 86A have two different small spaces (for two CRJ's to park), then 86 can be used for say a 767, whose wingspan would cover 86 and 86A. The 86 and 86A would use the same door for entrance and exit into the terminal.

YYZRWY23
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

blueflyer

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Some airports, especially the smaller ones, try to match gate numbers to parking position numbers (which isn't always the same thing). This would explain why the first gate would be 24 (for example) because parking positions 1 through 23 are in use away from the terminal (like the local FBO).

Quoting YYZRWY23 (Reply 11):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this occurs when the gate can be split between two smaller aircraft

Not necessarily. Gates can be split to accommodate smaller aircraft simply because of changing use, with no intent or capability to combine them for a larger aircraft. This is typical of airports that do not desire to spend funds to renumber all higher gates, or where a particular airline leases only a portion of the terminal, and airlines with higher gate numbers aren't interested in re-numbering their gates because one of their competitor split one.

Finally, letters are also used when a "traditional" gate has been turned into an access point to an infield terminal or a multi-gate bridge for regional aircraft. I can't think of a specific example, but I think IAH does that. You'd have door 17 (for example) leading to a bridge with gates labelled 17A, 17B, 17C, etc...

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 10):
hy not just call it Gate B87 instead of 86A?

Either because gate 86 and 86A can be combined into one gate for a larger aircraft, or because gate 86A was a later addition (remodeling?) after gate 87 was built and there was no will/budget to renumber all gates 87 and above.

srbmod

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:09 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 12):

Either because gate 86 and 86A can be combined into one gate for a larger aircraft, or because gate 86A was a later addition (remodeling?) after gate 87 was built and there was no will/budget to renumber all gates 87 and above.

For a number of years, some of AirTran's gates on C at ATL had the letter "A" attached to them before the concourse got renumbers a few years back when the Delta Connection side of the concourse got reconfigured. When I worked for FL, they had 1A, and later when they added four additional gates (they had several gates that were originally designed for widebody a/c back when they were Eastern's gates and they shifted the layout of the rest of their gates in order to squeeze in more gates), those four gates also got the "alpha" designation because they couldn't fully renumber their gates because some of those needed numbers were in use for ASA's gates at the time (Their odd side, IIRC, started with C-21 and their even side started with C-24 [That I do know because that was the gate I worked when I went to work for EV.].). What's odd about the renumbering of the gates on C is that there's a huge gap between the highest number FL gates and the first gates on the North end of the concourse. FL has C-21 and C-22 but the first gates on the other side of the midpoint of the concourse are C-31 and C-30. There's even some skipped numbers at the end of C-North, as there is not a C-54 or C-56.

There are also currently some "alpha" gates on Concourse D at ATL as well. D-1A. D-8A, and D-11A. This is due to the gates that were added to the concourse several years ago and they've not renumbered the concourse.

There are skipped gate numbers on E as well. There isn't an E-13, E-19, E-20, E-21, E-22, E-23, E-24, or E-25. The lack of an E-13 may be based on the way that wing of the concourse is designed. As for the other numbers, that's a good question. Perhaps there was once plans to make the wing that contains E-15 through E-18 longer and those numbers would have been used there?

Airontario

Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:24 pm

YYZ's T1 has a bunch of these. Keep in mind that the gates a numbered like house adresses. Odd's on one side, Even's on the other.

There's a gate 107, and 111, but no 109.

Gate 112 is next to 128, and then those number descend to 120, which is followed by 131. Confused yet?

Gate 132 is next to 151.

The gates eventually jump from 193 to 244, and then onwards to 276.

steex

Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:48 pm

In the case of ADL, the absence of a gate is due to a change in the typical use of the gate areas.

Many of the even numbered gates (16, 18, 20, 22) were striped with two parking positions (i.e., 22R and 22L) for use depending on the type of aircraft present. The gates were designed to be spaced in a manner where every gate could be occupied by a typical narrowbody aircraft simultaneously with the "L" positions utilized at even numbered gates. If you look at an aerial photograph of the airfield, you'll notice that the even numbered gates that do not have two parking positions (12, 14, 24, 26) are still marked with an "L" so there is no confusion.

In order to accommodate a larger widebody aircraft, the "R" position is used, which results in blockage of the next lower numbered gate. In other words, when a widebody aircraft utilized Gate 18 (parked at 18R), then it blocked Gate 17. Given the uptick in the number of widebody movements, ADL decided to permanently allocate 18 as a widebody gate using the 18R position, which meant that Gate 17 would always be blocked. Rather than renumber all the airport facilities, they've simply removed Gate 17 signage from inside the terminal and removed the jetway. On the ramp, though, the Gate 17 position is still painted.

QantasA333
Topic Author

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:40 am

Quoting steex (Reply 15):

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't think I ever saw the signage for Gate 17, however I probably wasn't paying much attention. I see what you mean by having a L and R of each gate. If you look after Gate 26, you can see 27L and 27R, so an extra parking spot for narrowbody aircraft.

steex

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:07 am

Quoting QantasA333 (Reply 16):
If you look after Gate 26, you can see 27L and 27R, so an extra parking spot for narrowbody aircraft.

Actually, 27 is a different scenario - that's down at the end of the concourse used for regionals, so 27L or 27R are for different types, but neither one would impede the use of Gate 26.

Also, to clarify, they would never use the L and R of a single number at the same time, so they don't really create an extra spot. If you look at Google Maps in the link below, you can get a better idea of what's going on. Starting toward the higher end, you can see narrowbodies parked at Gate 24 (24L), Gate 23, and Gate 22 (22L) at typical positions. You can see that, with the 737 parked at 22L, the 22R position is unusable - however, Gate 21 is still available to another narrowbody.

Moving down the terminal, you can see an SQ 333 parked at Gate 20 using the 20R position. Accommodating the widebody renders positions 20L and 19 both unusable. Once SQ departs, they can reposition the jetways and resume using Gates 19 and 20 (20L) for separate narrowbodies as needed. Moving down further still, the MH 772 parked at Gate 18 using 18R similarly blocks positions 18L and 17, but the photo shows the lack of a jetway for 17 to be used at all.

http://g.co/maps/sqk2z