Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ljupco
Topic Author

Unbelievably Low-cost!

Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Hi all,

I'm quite new here, and not as professional, but as an enthusiast who loves the aviation just follow all the events within.

As new year is coming, I'm planning the NY's weekend for a short trip from SKP to VCE. The tickets bought for such a round trip on major airliners are about 250 - 300 EUR. Since while SKP has departures of low-cost local carriers which have around 150 EUR for a return tickets.

The surprising thing is Wizz Air (W6) tickets:
if you book for a round trip journey, and attend web online check-in the total cost is 20 EUR.
If you book from SKP to VCE one way ticket is 10 EUR, and VCE to SKP is 5 EUR, with web online check-in.

I have already read a lot for major airliners, low-cost and strategies regarding the tickets price etc, but this is very very strange to me. A trip from one city to another in Macedonia (max 200 km) is much expensive than a a/c trip round SKP - VCE. Could you please explain this.... any thoughts??!!!

P.S. I had several flights with Wizz Air and they have a pretty new a/c and great web online and F/A service, also there are no other surprisingly expenses ....

cheers!!!

[email protected]

RE: Unbelievably Low-cost!

Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:42 am

Yield management! Such fares will be purely promotional - look at your reaction - and limited and loss-making. But, they will be counteracted by its higher average fares. It's a balance between stimulating the market and maximising sector revenue.

Four or five years ago, I flew London-Seville-London (2h 30m+) with FR and paid 2p return with no taxes (they paid them) and no additional charges (the special offer didn't attract a card fee). So, 2p all-in return. Of course, that would have lost them money, but the promotional benefit, any additional revenue from ancillary sources (e.g. checked bags, F+B - of which we purchased nothing), and that the sector's total revenue would have been from other passengers would have offset it.

AmricanShamrok

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:12 am

The cheapest I ever paid for a flight was also with Ryanair for €12 return all-in (Shannon-London/Gatwick-Shannon). They may as well have paid me to fly!

Skyeurope

Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:39 am

When WIzzAir announced Memmingen-Belgrade, they sold tickets for 3,49EUR! That was my cheapest flight ever.

airtrainer

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:55 pm

This is also a very good publicity for the airline. Take FR, many people think that their only option to fly for cheap is to book with FR. Some time ago a colleague asked me if I could find a trip to DUB for him and his wife "on Ryanair", I had to show him that for the week end he wanted the cheapest option was actually on Aer Lingus from BRU...an airline he had never heard before...

@ljupco, welcome on A.net !

WestJet747

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:40 pm

When I lived in Australia, I often saw Tiger Airways selling fares for $0.01. Wizz Air has some work to do  

The lowest fare I have actually purchased is $18.87 for AVV-SYD.

[email protected]

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:44 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 5):
The lowest fare I have actually purchased is $18.87 for AVV-SYD.

Let's hope you didn't complain bitterly about your experience - like people would, regardless of how little they paid.  

theobcman

Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Have just booked as a fun day out of flying upcoming :

LGW-AGP - AerLingus 0630-1030 A320
AGP-BCN - Ryanair 1230-1415 B738
BCN-GVA - EZ 1700-1845 A319
GVA-LGW -EZ 2130-2200 A320

For £92.00 GBP all in ! Looking forward to it.

airtrainer

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 5):
When I lived in Australia, I often saw Tiger Airways selling fares for $0.01. Wizz Air has some work to do

I'd love to see FR bringing these fares back too  

The cheapest I've booked was a return trip to ZAZ for 2€ all in. two years ago, but was finally unable to go on that day...

WestJet747

Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 6):
Let's hope you didn't complain bitterly about your experience - like people would, regardless of how little they paid.  

I'm a big believer in "you get what you pay for", so you won't hear a peep out of me!

Quoting theobcman (Reply 7):

Nicely done! That's just about impossible to do here in Canada unfortunately  

SamuP

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:46 am

I've taken many one ways on FR for €5
You gotta be flexible with the dates and you'll find some of these fares.
It's silly when you realize the public transit commute to the airport costs you 3x the price of the ticket to your destination, but such is life!