Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

theobcman
Topic Author

London To Sydney Suggestions Please

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:11 pm

Dear All, I'm heading down to SYD in Mar'12 from LHR or LGW and having not yet booked a ticket I would like to hear about good airline experiences & advise from you guys to sway my choice. Such as seat comfort/service/IFE etc. I will be flying in Y and not really restricted (Within reason) on price. Maybe a stop somewhere on route for a couple of days i.e DXB/BKK/SIN ?? Suggestions please.

Would also like to look at via west coast USA/Canda.

I really want try the UU service via CDG & RUN but that is pricey.

Any info would be good - thanks guys.

planejamie

RE: London To Sydney Suggestions Please

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Don't choose EK... I had a horrid experience with them in Y and J doesn't look much better - for the price you pay you really don't expect to be squashed 10 abreast in Economy on a 777 or 7 abreast in J, the crew were awful and there's many other ethical reasons why I don't like EK (the way they treat their staff for example and how they bully themselvess into Europe...). In all honesty, I'd choose to go with either BA or CX as they are good airlines, offer a personal experience and have a great product that won't blind you with bling and dark fake wood from the moment you board! I'd go via HKG (not sure if BA go via HKG) but Hong Kong is a great place to visit and far far better than Dubai in my experience. Bangkok and Singapore are nice too, just I've never visited there.

TG also might be a good option if you're in F or J, but in Economy it might be a bit hit and miss with the entertainment (most of the 747-400s they have don't have any personal IFE in Economy!).

EUflyer

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:38 pm

I use SQ services to Australia, on the A380 you get a 19" seat and 32" pitch and I have no complaints about them and the IFE will keep you entertained for most of the way. Singapore Changi has the transit hotel, located after security, which I use on AUZ to UK flights to get sleep between flights, which helps on long flight sectors. However, the Y class upper deck A380 SQ flights only operates on the morning departure from LHR, and the overnight flight from SIN. Luggage allowance: 20 kg

I don't use CX as the seat is not comfortable in Y. I used this flight several years ago, and even though the seat pitch is reasonable, the seat is rock hard, and has a strange thing attached to the seatbelt. Luggage allowance: 20 kg

EK A380 services use the 3-4-3 layout, but if you are going to use it, only use these flights and not the 777 flights as they use the 3-4-3 configuration in Y. Done 1 EK flight on a EK 777 and the one flight was enough, but the but I would consider the A380. Luggage allowance: 30 kg

Never done BA/QF on the kangaroo route.

Many regards

EUFlyer

[Edited 2011-11-22 13:46:31]

[Edited 2011-11-22 13:50:42]

wilco737

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Thought about going via FRA and fly the A380 to SIN and then continue with SQ?

wilco737

B747forever

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 3):
Thought about going via FRA and fly the A380 to SIN and then continue with SQ?

Why go via FRA when he can go A380 directly from LHR to SIN and then onto SYD?

bananaboy

Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:48 pm

Consider Asiana - they have as 34in seat pitch and 9 abreast on their 777's. Their service is fantastic - just flew SYD-ICN-LAX with them in Y and they were hard to fault. Crew were unfailingly polite and smiling - almost surprising!

They fly daily to LHR now and ICN is a dream to transfer in. It's also not much longer above the optimum great circle route, and South Korea would make for an interesting stop over.

All 777's have personal screens throughout and about half of them have AVOD. Menu's and hot towels are still distributed in Y and all drinks are complimentary. They hand out slippers before departure and they stock the lavs well with toothbrushes, mouthwash etc to at least try and make you feel comfortable.

Assuming you return with OZ, a stop over on the flight home is mandatory due to the flights not connecting - stay just night and they'll pay for your hotel for you, though if you stay longer, they wont.

I've used either OZ or TG for the past couple of Australia - UK flights. Thai have also been very good, and now that the LHR flights are getting PTV's, the choice for me might be harder. On balance though, I'd probably take OZ over TG - service in Y is a little better and whilst BKK isn't hard to transfer in, it is truly huge, whereas ICN is smaller and security has always been very quiet and quick to get through.

Mark

Gemuser

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:34 am

Quoting theobcman (Thread starter):
Dear All, I'm heading down to SYD in Mar'12 from LHR or LGW and having not yet booked a ticket I would like to hear about good airline experiences & advise from you guys to sway my choice.

There is probabley more choice on that route than almost any other on the planet!
I echo EUFlyers points on EK, those 10 abreast B777 are nasty IMHO. Also the cheapest fares are two stop, DXB & BKK. The EK crews I have found VERY variable from good to compedent to incompedent. On six sectors I have add 2 crews at each level. The best were the A332s on DXB-VCE-DXB.

I like JAL via NRT or KIX (not sure that last is still running) and while I've not used them ICN-Europe I have found KE to be an excellent airline, even their B73H VVO-ICN was very good, the A333 ICN-MEL was excellent (we couldn't get on their ICN-SYD service even booking 4 months ahead). It was so good we are seriously considering SYD-ICN-ORD/LAX/SEA for our trip in Sep 12, even if it is 10 hours longer, it will be worth it to avoid LAX and as bananaboy said in reply 5, ICN is a dream for transfers.

Don't ignore QF/BA, especially the QF A380s but they may not suite you. I have heard good reports on MH & TG, somewhat less enthustic ones on SQ, but have not flown any of them.

An "odd ball" route I have found good was SYD-NRT-CPH-MAD. What was odd ball was it was Y class SYD-NRT-SYD on QF and Business on SK NRT-CPH-MAD vv. It was called a "mixed class" fare and was VERY good value, unfortunately its not always available.

Via the US west coast, QF & NZ would be my choice. NZ will give you a good flight the whole way, although look out for their nasty 10 abreast B77Ws (maybe even B772s) and you will have to change planes in AKL (make sure the AKL-SYD connector is NOT an A320). The QF A380 or B744ER out of LAX are good and if you can fly BA LHR-LAX would be good over all, but if you have to fly AA to LAX, not so good. AA/QF via DFW would be interesting although its via BNE as well and you run a better chance than normal of getting a diversion. I prefer to avoid UA & DL trans Pacific, although DL was bareable and 9 abreast in a B77L, UA was not, although they may have update their B744s. VA I don't know but their B77W are 9 abreast.

Happy hunting!

Gemuser

RyanairGuru

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:46 am

Having flown BNE to MAN more time than I care remember my order or preference is:

1) Emirates (I LOVE them, and 10 abrest has never bothered me at all including sitting in the middle seat)

2) Etihad (other than sub-par IFE and indifferent flight attendants EY are pretty damn amazing - it's just those two really let them down in my experience)

3) Singapore (I think they're overrated, but they are definitely a solid performer)

4) Qantas (You will either have an amzing flight or a s*** one. There is absolutely no middle ground on QF international - which is bizarre since on domestic they are consistently mediocre. When they're on form they truly rival the best. But 50:50 aren't necessarily great odds)

I'm flying CX/BA combo BNE-HKG-LHR in January so it'll be interesting to try them both out.

Now I think about it, if you go LHR-DXB-SYD it's A380 all the way so the whole 10-abrest discussion is mute

vhtje

Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 am

I have done this journey 32 times (and counting!) recommend AY, particularly if you are looking at a J class fare. It is priced usually £1,000 cheaper than QF/BA. AY will fly to you HKG, SIN or BKK and then it is CX or BA/QF onwards to SYD. The AY VIA lounge at HEL is amazing.

I too would avoid EK, I have flown them once (in J) and can echo the sentiments of the earlier posts. I would avoid them in future.

Are you doing much travelling wihtin Australia? Another one to look at is EY/DJ (or is it VA now?) - they have hooked up and you can get some very good deals in domestic Australian flights - something ridiculous like £25 a sector. QF offers a similar deal but you would have to be ticketed by QF from London to get that deal.

Good luck and enjoy Sydney!

bps3458

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:22 pm

Quoting vhtje (Reply 8):
I have done this journey 32 times (and counting!) recommend AY, particularly if you are looking at a J class fare.

I'm with vhtje on this. Just booked my second trip from BNE to HAM in January on AY flying QF BNE-SIN, AY from SIN-HEL-HAM and on the way back HAM-HEL-HKG on AY and HKG to BNE on CX. On my way back will stay for a night in Hong Kong. Love Hong Kong and Helsinki is a dream to transit.

Fortunately, I never had to fly between Australia and Europe in economy but my wife and son just fly KE from BNE-ICN-FRA and they were very happy with the service received. They especially enjoyed the one night stop over in ICN in the Hyatt Regency on their way to Australia.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Australia.

Cheers from Brisbane (currently Houston),

Peter

airtrainer

Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
Why go via FRA when he can go A380 directly from LHR to SIN and then onto SYD?

I suppose he was refering to LH A380 on FRA-SIN...

Back to the topic, my first choice would be SQ with a stopover in SIN.

B747forever

Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:38 pm

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 10):
I suppose he was refering to LH A380 on FRA-SIN...

Yeah, I know, but what does LH offer that SQ doesnt in Y on the A380 to justify another extra stop?

planejamie

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 7):
1) Emirates (I LOVE them, and 10 abrest has never bothered me at all including sitting in the middle seat)

Oh god, so I gather you've never had someone sit next to you in this configuration then? My great aunt/uncle who are non-aviation nerds and not even frequent flyers (and who normally fly Thomas Cook, Monarch, Thomson and generally cheaper/charter carriers) flew out to Perth from MAN with DXB with EK. I quote the exact words pretty much:

"The trip out was reasonable, we were on that big new airbus and it was pretty much average, the crew were a little off though and I would prefer to pay less for what we got. The other flights were on the 727? *(I corrected them to 777)* and it felt squashed and not at all great. The only outstanding thing was the entertainment." - and I get pretty much the same out of anyone who flies them.

Also maybe think about the working conditions for the ground staff of EK and also how much of a bully EK are in general.

Either way, out of LHR, you have a lot of options, OZ sounds pretty good, I think it really depends on which alliance you prefer to go with (if it boils down to choosing) as most of the flights via BKK, HKG, SIN are pretty much the same standard (all are on a 777 or 747 or A380 and all have 9 abreast in Economy 777 / 10 747 & A380 and decent Business class offerings). BA, CX - OneWorld, TG SQ OZ - Star, Korean Air - SkyTeam

I would like to point out that with a recent flight on BA though it was the old 12 channel loop system on a 777, there were some up to date movies on there that weren't on DVD yet and they changed the programming after the first playback. I had a flight with CX in their "coffin" business class, wasn't too bad to be honest as long as you don't want to look out of the window.

readytotaxi

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting bananaboy (Reply 5):

My sister just flew with them in Y and highly recommended,really good seat pitch for a long flight and great crew all the time.

Quoting bananaboy (Reply 5):
and South Korea would make for an interesting stop over.

She loved it, had been to SIN but thought this was much nicer-warmer.  

airtrainer

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 11):
Yeah, I know, but what does LH offer that SQ doesnt in Y on the A380 to justify another extra stop?

Nothing, or maybe the opportunity to catch two different A380 if he can catch one on SIN-SYD  

eurowings

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Because of financial reasons, a friend of mine flew with KL and China Southern from LHR - SYD via Amsterdam and Guangzhou and was pleasantly surprised considering the price. Apparently the new A330s are quite good and preferable to EK's 777s.

[Edited 2011-11-23 12:07:31]

theobcman
Topic Author

Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:09 pm

Dear All, thanks for all the info - very interesting & helpful reading. I'm looking at SQ right now - fare is ok & that gives me rides on B77W / A380 / A333 - nice variety. I can also have of couple of nights in SIN which I understand can a fun place. It's not my final choice - will keep listening to you guys.

Cheers

B747forever

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Quoting theobcman (Reply 16):
I'm looking at SQ right now - fare is ok & that gives me rides on B77W / A380 / A333

I would say go with that because it is always nice to fly on many different types, and SQ isnt exactly shabby  

RyanairGuru

Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 12):
Oh god, so I gather you've never had someone sit next to you in this configuration then

Yes.

Admittedly I am fairly small but do have quite broad shoulders. I can honestly say that I really don't have an issue with it. Personal preference.

As for EK's ethics, what information exactly do you have about them bullying staff???? I know people who work for the airline and love it, rather it sounds like they treat their staff amazingly. Admittedly they aren't ground crew, but then again aren't ground operations operated by Dnata rather than Emirates anyway?

Other than that I personally like EK. Objectively EY are probably better (other than IFE) but subjectively I have only ever enjoyed my many flights with them

SRQKEF

Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:46 pm

Have you thought about Air Asia X in J? They have very cheap J class prices and as far as I know comfortable seats and service.

Rgds,
Sveinn Th.

theobcman
Topic Author

Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:23 pm

Quoting SRQKEF (Reply 19):

I haven't looked at Air Asia X only because they dont actually go to SYD. I could get to MEL or OOL and get domestic - will have to look into it

Cheers

SRQKEF

Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:17 pm

Quoting theobcman (Reply 20):

You could also look into MH from KUL to SYD.

Rgds,
Sveinn Th.

mikey72

Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:44 am

Quoting planejamie (Reply 12):
The other flights were on the 727? *(I corrected them to 777)*

LOL, I think EK would have to pay us to do DXB/PER on a 727.