Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MarcoPoloWorld
Topic Author

Cathay Pacific Opens Dedicated Lounge At SFO

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:25 am

Per press release:

"Airline opens first Cathay Pacific branded lounge in United States

Cathay Pacific has raised the bar on standards for airport lounge style and comfort in the United States, opening a new premium First and Business Class lounge, conveniently located on Level 4 of the International Terminal building at San Francisco International Airport.

San Francisco is the first city in the United States to experience the exquisite modern and contemporary lounge design, modeled on the airline’s award-winning lounges in Hong Kong."

CX previously used the BA lounge at SFO; nice to now see a dedicated facility. From the pictures, it looks like it is located one floor above the departures level. Very reminiscent of their contemporary facilities at HKG.

Details and pictures:

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...5766634310VgnVCM1000000ad21c39____

AusA380

RE: Cathay Pacific Opens Dedicated Lounge At SFO

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:54 am

It is interesting that CX can make SFO work but not QF!

RWA380

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 am

Quoting AusA380 (Reply 1):

SFO is a much bigger Asian market than Australia, plus with the right aircraft QF could make SFO work, but they have chosen not to order the 777.

NZ makes SFO work with the 777, and at times that is upgauged to a 744 when traffic warrents.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

vhtje

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:51 am

Do we know where in the terminal this is?

The BA lounge is tired and gets very crowded, so this might be a good alternative. The JAL lounge (previously, the only other OW lounge in International terminal on the 'A' side of the International Terminal) was on the wrong side for the BA gate, so not really useful.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

qf002

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:38 am

I'm surprised this is their first. Where else could be see CX branded lounges opening (JFK? ORD? LAX?)

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 2):
NZ makes SFO work with the 777, and at times that is upgauged to a 744 when traffic warrents.

NZ makes it work because UA is so big in SFO. QF needs a more efficient aircraft, not a smaller one, to make SFO work.

LAXintl

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Quoting AusA380 (Reply 1):

Hardly an equal comparison. One is more of a leisure market, other is a global trade lane with tons of beyond opportunities as well.

Quoting qf002 (Reply 4):
I'm surprised this is their first. Where else could be see CX branded lounges opening (JFK? ORD? LAX?)

Wont see it at LAX. CX paid into the development of the relative new OW joint facility at TBIT.

For JFK, I doubt it also as they are only a subtenant of British Airways at T-7 and make use the huge BA facilities. If CX were ever to leave and go to another terminal at JFK then I suppose they might look at it.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

MarcoPoloWorld
Topic Author

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Quoting vhtje (Reply 3):
Do we know where in the terminal this is?

That's what I was hoping to figure out also. But judging from the window views in the pictures, it seems as if though it is located approximately above the A pier security check point. Please anyone pitch in if you know.

Quoting qf002 (Reply 4):
I'm surprised this is their first.

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is. Some areas off the beaten path in the Int'l Terminal have been vacant - or even never been occupied - so perhaps CX got a good lease deal.

I must say that I'm impressed with Cathay's efforts to improve - and to fix mistakes made in the recent past - including the new Business Class being rolled out, the pending introduction of Premium Economy, and the also pending revamping of long-haul Economy.

RogerThat

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 pm

One very nice feature of the old CX lounge in SFO was the exit; directly into boarding the aircraft.

aa61hvy

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:46 pm

I was fond of the old BA/CX lounge. I enjoyed the views of the plane pulling up and then the easy 'backdoor' walk to the jetway. But the pictures/descriptions make it sound real sharp.

Although the old lounge was a bit small. I will miss it!
Go big or go home

MarcoPoloWorld
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:56 am

Quoting RogerThat (Reply 7):
One very nice feature of the old CX lounge in SFO was the exit; directly into boarding the aircraft.
Quoting aa61hvy (Reply 8):
I was fond of the old BA/CX lounge. I enjoyed the views of the plane pulling up and then the easy 'backdoor' walk to the jetway. But the pictures/descriptions make it sound real sharp.

I had that thought as well. Of course, the direct access setup only worked when CX was parked at the "right gate".