Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shufflemoomin
Topic Author

Easiest Airport > Downtown?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:09 am

Inspired by my recent inquiry into getting from the Airport into Paris, I got to thinking. I live in Copenhagen and CPH is one of the easiest airports I've come across for getting into the heart of the City. Quick direct train ride or 10/15 minutes on the metro door to door. Some major airports I've flown to aren't exactly simple or quick to get into the city. JFK being one example. So, what other airports out there are there that make transfer into the city quick and painless? Opinions?

bpat777

RE: Easiest Airport > Downtown?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:21 am

In the U.S. I would say DCA & ATL are pretty convenient when it comes to getting downtown. They both have subway stations a short walk from the terminal.

MillwallSean

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:00 am

Isn't that like asking what airports have decent train service?

All airports i can think of that's really convenient to downtown is so because of a fast dedicated train running.

My favourite is HongKong.
But it all comes down to the size of the CBD. I mean the airtrain in KL is great but the place you arrive in is rarely the end destination KL is decentralised. Same with London, the heathrow express is great, but how often do I venture close to its end station...

My most anticipated airport train was Delhis. It was plagued by delays and corruption, ridership is half of what was projected and the train doesn't reach promised speeds but I still love it.

Smaller cities like CPH, ARN and OSL has great airport trains. But they also seem to have much smaller CBD:s.

Whats surprising is that SIN isn't competing. Arriving into Changi means taxi usually. Sure they have an MRT line that ends at Changi but that requires one change along the way and is the end station. Not pleasant.

In general any modern airport today needs to connect the different forms of transport and have a dedicated airport express line to the CBD to be up there. The days of only building a decent motorway connection is long gone if you want to be counted as world class airport...
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

signol

Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:31 am

There can be only one winner.
SDU - Santos Dumont, Rio.
Exit terminal building. Walk accross road. You are in city centre.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

dstc47

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 2):
Sure they have an MRT line that ends at Changi but that requires one change along the way and is the end station.

A very curious feature in usually seamless Singapore. Must be a story behind that particularly inconvenient arrangement.

Quoting signol (Reply 3):
SDU - Santos Dumont, Rio.
Exit terminal building. Walk across road. You are in city centre.

True, particularly amusing if you have taken the bus in from the International airport, so much further out, and it passes the front door of SDU!

santos

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:03 pm

London City is fairly easy and well connected to central London, also a smaller airport, so queues are small...
Lisbon i good too, only 3/4 miles from city centre, a Taxi costs less than €10 to most places within the city and plenty of bus services/ No Train station, but Metro is opening in 2012.

cgnnrw

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:19 pm

I agree with DCA. Great location.

Also DUS has very good train connections via normal German Rail and the local S-Bahn.

FRA is easily reached from downtown as well.
A330 man.

mickster

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:52 pm

My present place of living, VIE - the City Airport Train takes you to the heart of Vienna in 16 minutes, from where you have further metro and train connections, I cannot remember when was the last time I used another means of transport to get to the city ...

SomedayTrijet

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:58 pm

From XMN airport, a cheap Xiamen cab can take you right into the city center in as fast as 10 minutes if traffic is good.
Flown on: ATR72-5, E190, E195, A319/20/21, A332/3, A380, 734/6/G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, 763ER/4ER, 772ER/LR, Q300, RJ100

eurowings

Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Bremen in Germany is very good, a short 10 minutes tram ride to the city centre, which leaves from just outside the terminal building.

[Edited 2012-01-01 08:16:26]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

LOWS

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:57 pm

Quoting mickster (Reply 7):
My present place of living, VIE - the City Airport Train takes you to the heart of Vienna in 16 minutes, from where you have further metro and train connections, I cannot remember when was the last time I used another means of transport to get to the city ...

VIE is super, they just need to get Wien Mitte (Landstraße) sorted out with the new building and then VIE itself sorted out. Hopefully soon.

MUC was not that great. A fine airport but then 45 minutes to the city centre/Hauptbahnhof on crowded Sbahn trains.

SZG could be better, but the OBus and Allbus are ok. Only 15ish minutes into the Altstadt and 18ish into the Hauptbahnhof. The bus to my village also stops at the Airport!

WestJet747

Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:38 pm

At YTZ you take the world's shortest scheduled ferry (122m/400ft) and it's just one block to the north and two blocks to the east and you're right in the middle of the Financial District. A passenger tunnel is in the planning stages for those that don't feel like waiting for the ferry, which leaves the airport every 15 minutes.

I was really impressed how easy it was to get from BKK to downtown Bangkok. It's quite a distance but the stations are extremely conveniently located. I also love that the rail is elevated so that you get a decent view of the city on the way in.
Flying refined.

HT

Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:18 pm

Quoting shufflemoomin (Thread starter):
So, what other airports out there are there that make transfer into the city quick and painless?

There are quite a number of airports that are 15 minutes or so away from the city center using a single mode of public transport, some of them have been listed already.

Additions could be ZRH, BSL, AMS to name but a few.
Others have excellent public transports but (often due to distance) take a bit longer like OSL, ARN, HKG.
In the U.S. ORD, MDW, SFO (and as stated DCA and ATL) come to mind.

Of the German airports, the following have public rail-based transports towards them (local rail systems or mainline): HAM, BRE, HAJ, DUS, CGN, FRA, STR, NUE, MUC, LEJ, DRS, SXF, FDH.

However none beast SDU ... (see reply #3).
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

redrooster3

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:56 pm

SAN is about a mile away from downtown, I mean you have to pass right next to buildings to land at SAN.
Marry one of us, and you'll fly for free!

Viscount724

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:54 am

Quoting shufflemoomin (Thread starter):
So, what other airports out there are there that make transfer into the city quick and painless?

GVA is one of the easiest, only 6 minutes by train or about 15 minutes by bus. Both are also free for all passengers arriving at GVA on a scheduled flight. You have to obtain a free ticket from a machine before leaving the baggage claim area. It's then good anywhere in the GVA area for 80 minutes on trains, buses and trams.The free ticket is valid only if you have a boarding pass for a flight arriving the same day.

If you're staying at a hotel in GVA, the hotel will provide you with a free public transport pass valid for the duration of your stay, which also gives you a free trip back to the airport when you leave.

flymia

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:13 am

DCA is very easy to use to get into the city, it is basically in the city. A few quick metro stops.

MIA is also very close to Downtown Miami. Soon there will be a direct connection by rail. In a few months. Right now there is still an easy bus connection to the rail or a very simple quick bus or cab to downtown 15min drive or so with no traffic.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

BE77

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:43 am

Quoting mickster (Reply 7):
VIE - the City Airport Train
Quoting LOWS (Reply 10):
VIE is super
Quoting WestJet747 (Reply 11):
At YTZ

Agree with these for sure.

YVR is pretty good now with the sky train - cab or bus wasn't too bad before either, easier now.

YEG and might be the worst in Canada...YYZ might take longer, but at least in YYZ there was a reason it was located there (lets not divert into the whole YMX and YEG issue).

Many of the Carribean Islands are pretty good too...but of course when the airport occupies a measurable percentage of the real estate, you can't be too far from anything!

LAS is reasonable as well - too bad the terminal is on the 'wrong' side of the airport, and too bad the rental cars are off airport, otherwise the proximity to the destination works well.
(Rant on: I really, really hate having to take a bus to rent a car...if I wanted to take a shuttle bus, I wouldn't have booked a car rental for crying out loud - now I have to haul everything out to the curb, load on the bus, off the bus, then into the car rental office, load the car, etc. Rant off)

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 2):
Isn't that like asking what airports have decent train service?

A pretty good proxy I agree - although proximity makes a few others work no matter what the local transport is, and personally a 15 minute cab is 'better' than a 15 minute train since the cab will go to my exact destination. But of course often the 15 minute train replaces a 30 minute cab...
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

SomedayTrijet

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Also TSA is basically in the middle of Taipei; just hop on the metro or a public bus for a short time and you will get anywhere in the central areas of the city.
Flown on: ATR72-5, E190, E195, A319/20/21, A332/3, A380, 734/6/G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, 763ER/4ER, 772ER/LR, Q300, RJ100

shufflemoomin
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:25 pm

Some great responses here. I like the sound of GVA. 6 minutes by train and for free isn't a bad deal. I've never been to GVA before. I think I'll add that to my 'must visit' list.

N62NA

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Quoting flymia (Reply 15):
MIA is also very close to Downtown Miami. Soon there will be a direct connection by rail. In a few months.

Yes, there was an article in the Miami Herald newspaper today about it:

One of the most expensive and complex transportation projects currently under construction in South Florida will be finished this year: the Metrorail extension to Miami International Airport.

The new line of the elevated train, from Earlington Heights Station to a new public transportation center under construction just east of the airport, will be in operation in the spring. It will be formally called AirportLink and is the first significant Metrorail extension since the system was inaugurated in 1984.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/01/0...l-line-to-miami-international.html

BMIFlyer

Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:26 pm

I'm throwing MAN into this - 14 mins by train (provided you catch one of my trains and not a horrible local all stations service on an outdated unit   ).
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

dimik747

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:19 pm

ATH is great, it has 2 dedicated train lines connecting it to Athens and beyond-the metro and suburban railway to an addition of dedicated express buses to areas that are not reached by the metro, not bad. MUC is also quite easy but the most special must be PVG with the maglev train..very unique!

Viscount724

Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting dimik747 (Reply 21):
MUC is also quite easy

MUC is easy but slow. It's just the local S-Bahn train with about 12 stops to the city center. Takes about 40 minutes. It's also fairly expensive at 10 euros one way. MUC is an excellent airport but it really needs a faster rail connection to the city.

LOWS

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:38 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 22):
MUC is easy but slow. It's just the local S-Bahn train with about 12 stops to the city center. Takes about 40 minutes. It's also fairly expensive at 10 euros one way. MUC is an excellent airport but it really needs a faster rail connection to the city.

Agreed. Compared to the VIE CityAirport Train which I normally use, it was quite a change. Also, going from Ostbahnhof to MUC two weeks ago was awful, as the train was packed and the station at MUC not great for traffic flow.

You can book the Sbahn as part of your larger train journey: e.g. Bad Reichenhall DE to Freilassing DE to München Ost to MUC (19€ each way) was the same as if I had only booked it to München Ost.

simfanatic

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:41 am

TXL. You step out of the plane, collect your luggage and step into the bus in like 4 minutes. Takes 10 minutes to the city center.
Don't be a fool, think about what you're writing!

jlarsson

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:59 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned BOS yet.

free shuttle bus to the "T" and 4 stops to downtown.

jlarsson
Next trip; ARN-FRA-YYC-YVR-SEA-ORD-BOS-MUC-GOT.

yowza

Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Of all the ones I've ventured to I would have to say YTZ and AEP have to be the easiest. Literally a stone's throw and you're in town...

YOWza