Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

330lover
Topic Author

Flying Long Haul On KLM

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:31 am

Dear fellow A-netters,

I always had not a very positive image of KLM on long haul flights. Don't know why, but something made me sceptical about the airline.

Now we are planning a return trip to Argentina, and the best offer by far is on KLM. Normally I would prefer to spend a little more to travel on LH/LX or TAM, but the difference is almost EUR 400,00 per person!

Certainly, a lot of you have already flown on KLM. What are your opinions about space, service, IFE,...
Is the space in the 10 abreast 773 really that bad, or is this only in people's minds?

All experiences and inflight info is welcome. How does KLM compare to others (LH/LX/AF/IB/AZ/BA...)

Last note: we are travelling in eco class.

Thanks a lot!

[Edited 2012-01-12 01:31:36]

[Edited 2012-01-12 01:48:46]
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

something

RE: Flying Long Haul On KLM

Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 am

Quoting 330lover (Thread starter):
Certainly, a lot of you have already flown on KLM. What are your opinions about space, service, IFE,...
Is the space in the 10 abreast 773 really that bad, or is this only in people's minds?

It is! The only reason I fly AF is because CDG-GRU-CDG cost me less than €300. But unless you score such a criminal deal, are you sure KL is really that much cheaper?

What dates are you travelling and what is the fare KL is asking?
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

rwsea

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:18 am

KL's economy product is on par with other European carriers. The IFE is good, and the legroom is generally pretty good (you also have the option of paying for Economy Comfort with extra legroom).

It looks as if KLM uses the 777-200 on this route, which is NOT 10 abreast, but rather in a 3x3x3 configuration. Agree that the 773 is to be avoided at all costs.

In general, I've taken long-haul flights on most US and European carriers. KLM's in-flight economy product is comparable or better than AF, LH, BA, SK, OS, or LX.

330lover
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 am

Quoting rwsea (Reply 2):
It looks as if KLM uses the 777-200 on this route, which is NOT 10 abreast, but rather in a 3x3x3 configuration. Agree that the 773 is to be avoided at all costs.

Travel is end october/november this year and flights are loaded as 777-300 on KL's website .

rwsea

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:41 am

Quoting 330lover (Reply 3):

Travel is end october/november this year and flights are loaded as 777-300 on KL's website .

In that case then I would probably avoid KLM, assuming that the €400 price difference is worth it for a slightly wider seat. There's a lot of time so I suppose a more comfortable airline could come along with a better fare.

signol

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:52 pm

We usually fly KL long haul once per year, and have yet to have any major issues with them.

Here are my last 3 trip reports on the experiences - note that we have been recently travelling with children, on 772 and 744 though.

NWI-South Africa, On KL, SA, MN (by Signol Jan 30 2010 in Trip Reports)
NWI To New DUR Inc KL, KQ, 1T And SA (by signol Oct 30 2010 in Trip Reports)
SA2011 Take 1: Norwich-Durban With Toddler And Inf (by signol Nov 26 2011 in Trip Reports)

space, service, IFE

Space was fine. If you are worried, pay a fe EUR extra for an Economy Comfort seat, preferably at the bulkhead.

Service has always been excellent.

IFE has been ok, though I tend to put on the map channel, my wife has watched several recent films and our son some cartoons.

I hope this helps!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

PlymSpotter

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Now we are planning a return trip to Argentina, and the best offer by far is on KLM. Normally I would prefer to spend a little more to travel on LH/LX or TAM, but the difference is almost EUR 400,00 per person!

If you can easily afford the money and not notice it has gone, then I'd say go for a non 10 abreast option and pay the extra €400. Otherwise, I'd say go for the KLM option, it is a big price difference.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

dc9northwest

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:06 pm

KLM long-haul... IMO:

Good crews. I've never had a problem with KLM crews.
Weird meals. I've always had a choice between "weird" meals on KLM long-haul, not the typical US airlines' choices (tasteless) pasta or (tasteless) chicken. You can order a more special meal from AMS for 10-15 Euros, but I've never tried it.
Legroom: not the best, so get yourself Economy Comfort, cheaper than spending 400 Euros.
IFE: decent selection, fairly slow... I hate the inflight map personally.

People blame the 3-4-3 777-300 decision... and I do too, but I think we exaggerate a little bit about that here at a.net. I don't think it's that much worse than a 3-3-3 777. But then again, I avoided flying on a Triple Seven for 7 years.

TW

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:42 pm

LH has some very cheap flights to Brazil, there was recently an offer to fly from Europe to GIG for 500€. Might be worth looking for booking 2 different tickets, Europe-Brazil and then Brazil-Argentina.

SamuP

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:40 pm

I recently flew the 773 AMS-UIO. I didn't find the 10 abreast criminally uncomfortable. The width of the seat was restricted but it was still enough for me. What I did not like about the 10 abreast was the close proximity to the person next to you. That being said, I would have no problems flying a 10-abreast 777 in the future as long as I can count on knowing the person sitting next to me beforehand. The price difference is quite significant in this case, as others have said, try Eco+ fares on KL to see if you can get away with 200 euro per person or so.
As per KLM, I love flying them. The service is pretty good compared to other trans-atlantic competitiors, and IFE on 777s is of the latest generation. Flying from and into Schiphol is a breeze. Sadly I don't get to fly them often.

Sam

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:34 am

Quoting tw (Reply 8):
LH has some very cheap flights to Brazil, there was recently an offer to fly from Europe to GIG for 500€. Might be worth looking for booking 2 different tickets, Europe-Brazil and then Brazil-Argentina.

Aren't Brazil-Argentina flights ridiculously expensive for what the route length is? I seem to recall a topic about that on A.net. 300 Euro return seems like a lot for a SAO/RIO-BUE IMO... But I'm not sure about the prices. Then again 500 is cheap to Europe so maybe it evens out.

something

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 10):
Aren't Brazil-Argentina flights ridiculously expensive for what the route length is? I seem to recall a topic about that on A.net. 300 Euro return seems like a lot for a SAO/RIO-BUE IMO... But I'm not sure about the prices. Then again 500 is cheap to Europe so maybe it evens out.

That's not a viable alternative at all. Even flying GRU-SCL-EZE will be cheaper than GRU-EZE. The fare into Brazil can't be low enough to make this worth while.

Besides, LH 744 are not exactly the most enjoyable aircraft to fly on in Y either..
..sick of it. -K. Pilkington.

roberts87

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 am

I've had 3 long-haul flights with KLM last year. I was very staitisfeid all three times. Good food, with intresting choices instead of the usual pasta or chicken. The friendliest crew in the skies. Good IFE, with lots of choices. No delays. And, I didn't find the 3-4-3 to be comfortable, and I am pretty tall. I would book it without hesitation.

330lover
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:50 am

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 12):
And, I didn't find the 3-4-3 to be comfortable

Suppose you mean "I didn't find the 3-4-3 to be UNcomfortable"  Smile

Anyhow,
thanks everybody for your feedback so far. Just waiting a bit longer to see if other promo's come out.

[Edited 2012-01-13 01:50:59]

roberts87

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 am

Quoting 330lover (Reply 13):
Suppose you mean "I didn't find the 3-4-3 to be UNcomfortable"  

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry!

LJ

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

. Normally I would prefer to spend a little more to travel on LH/LX or TAM,

Last year I went with JJ from AMS to Argentina. Though a good airline the IFE depends on the aircraft flown. CDG-GRU was good, GRU-EZE and GRU-EZE were great (the newest 330s and thus the newest IFE) the oldest 330s appear to have limited IFE (compared to the new ones).

BTW I had a cheapy on JJ , for just EUR 610 ex AMS. However that was at the time they flew twice daily to CDG.....

SASMD82

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:07 am

As far as I have flown KLM and as far as I have heard passenger experiences (compared to other airlines) is that KLM has a great Y-product (although the 77W is a bit worse compared to the MD-11, A330, B772 and B747 because of the tight seat width). C-class is poor (compared to LH, LX, AF and BA) and the Economy Plus is ok (but especially on the 77W - again - seat width is too tight).

Staff of KLM are generally spoken fine (not exceptional), IFE is great, food is (ok in Y, fine in C), planes are in good shape and Schiphol is a great airport.

330lover
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:19 pm

At this moment, the race is between KL and JJ (unless someone comes up with a good promo).
What are your thoughts? Who's better, JJ or KL?

Checo77

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:35 am

I have flown FRA-GRU on JJ last year, TAM 773.

I have never felt so cramped in my life. I am 1.90 tall. The food was good, service excelent (you get an amenity kit in Y), friendly crew. IFE was good (unlike KLM, you have a tail camera) plus in Y you have a foot rest.

But again I repeat, I have never felt so cramped, it was the first time in my life I was begging for the flight to finish. I have not flown KLM 773 though...

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

Akiestar

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:15 am

I hope this helps.

Long Ways, Leaps Of Faith And MNL-AMS-WAW On KL (by Akiestar Jan 24 2012 in Trip Reports)

BrusselsSouth

Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:52 pm

I have just returned home from the U.S., flying MIA-AMS on the KL MD-11. I can only compare with the other long haul options I've already flown: AA, BA, US and AF. From this (limited) experience, I'd say KL is on par with BA and AF and a bit superior to AA, and far superior to US.

Recently I've flown the AF A380 CDG-IAD and found the comfort and service in Y excellent. AF and KL crews were equally good, but the AF A380 Y seat felt more comfortable than on the KL MD-11. I payed a premium for Economy Comfort on KL and I recommend it as it adds some recline and significant room to stretch your legs (service and seat width is the same as in Y).

My 2 cents

Regards
BrusselsSouth

Vio

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:42 pm

I recently flew KLM from AMS to YYC on their A330. I loved their service, though the plane could've been a little cleaner (I actually had blood on the plastic siding... yuck)... but the F/A quickly came and cleaned it with disinfectant and it was like new again  .

Their service: 8/10... That's pretty good in my books.

I would fly KLM again without hesitation.

Vio
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

CPHFF

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Quoting rwsea (Reply 2):
Agree that the 773 is to be avoided at all costs.

I agree, but I'm a pretty "big fellow". 100kg and 190cm tall (6.4"). Leg room is still OK for me, but it basically depends on how "broad sholdered" you are, if you can be confrotable with 10-abrest seating.

Generally, I find the KLM Y product very good on long haul. Have never flown with them to South America, but many times to US and Asia. I find their "standard meal" above par, and the cabin crew are very nice and attentative.

Wishing you a safe and comfortable trip!

PL
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

swedenflyer

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:30 pm

How does KLM compare to others (LH/LX/AF/IB/AZ/BA...)

In my opinion, it is up near the top on my list. Yes, I haven't flown many airlines, but KL is near the top.

What are your opinions about space, service, IFE

I flew IAD-AMS-GOT a few years ago, and the service was great. The IFE had lots of good choices, the crew was great, and the food was OK.
FlyingFinn76, abrelosojos

L410Turbolet

Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:06 pm

It's awful and whoever came up with that idea of squeezing 10-abreast into the 777 should be tried in the Hague for crimes against humanity.

Quoting CPHFF (Reply 22):

Generally, I find the KLM Y product very good on long haul. Have never flown with them to South America, but many times to US and Asia. I find their "standard meal" above par, and the cabin crew are very nice and attentative.

Also, trasferring at AMS is smooth and easy compared to other major hubs in Europe. KLM are one of the best airlines and I find the overall experience much more pleasant than on some of those overrated 5* Gulf carriers.