Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planejamie
Topic Author

Travel Ideas To Europe from MAN

Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:39 pm

I'm currently looking for cheapish travel ideas (by air, and on interesting equipment/airlines or even BD, as much as I love BA... they're gonna be around for a while) to Europe from MAN.

One stop preferably as this is my mum's idea and she's just gone "find somewhere and find out how to get there". It can't be too far (maximum 3 hours flying time?). In addition, there needs to be something at the other end to do for a few days (this is literally the very beginning of April, aiming to fly out April 1st, no fools...) and decent hotel accommodation.

My mum suggested London (to which I replied I'm flying... as I dislike trains with a huge passion and Richard Branson isn't getting a penny out of me..., looking at BD for that one), Amsterdam (not sure on what there is to see there)...

Italy got ruled out as she wasn't too keen on it when we went there in August 2010 and she was just generally unhappy with the overall experience...

I suggested going to Iceland (I went back in October) and it's a non-stop flight from MAN and I loved it, so I might try to convince her to go there (plus found some pretty cheap flights with FI...)

Alternatively, she will send the dog to her parents and stay at home with ready-meals for a week...

zckls04

Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:59 am

Go to Tallinn- near, interesting, plenty to do. Fairly cheap as well, although the "on interesting equipment" bit is where my idea falls down.
Four Granavox Turbines!

dc9northwest

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:35 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 1):
Go to Tallinn- near, interesting, plenty to do. Fairly cheap as well, although the "on interesting equipment" bit is where my idea falls down.

I second that... Tallinn or Riga were very nice IMO. Might be a bit cold on April 1st though. But about as far from Italy as it gets on a budget  

Other ideas: Vienna has a lot of attractions. If you like beautiful fjords or mountains, Norway or Switzerland. Iceland is a good call too but there's not that much to do.

Amsterdam is a cultural capital; there's a lot to see: more or less traditional museums, Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum. It's also very liberal if you're into that sort of thing (and over 18).

planejamie
Topic Author

RE: Travel Ideas To Europe From MAN

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:12 am

Quoting zckls04 (Reply 1):
Go to Tallinn
Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 2):
Tallinn or Riga

I had considered those and trying out Air Baltic, but the journey would involve going MAN-BRU-RIX (MAN-BRU on an SN Avro RJ, BRU-RIX on a 737-500) and that did entice me but it wasn't cheap and it might not be easy to convince mother dearest to fly on two separate carriers through Brussels (where she also had the idea of going to Bruges by train...).

Other ideas: Vienna has a lot of attractions. If you like beautiful fjords or mountains, Norway or Switzerland. Iceland is a good call too but there's not that much to do.

Vienna is a possibility, however I'd be going on airlines I'd flown before (probably BD to LHR then OS/BD to VIE)

Switzerland again is a possibility, but with it being the end of Ski season (correct me if I'm wrong) we're not into Ski or snow... having been to Iceland there's a fair bit you can do if you're into more geographical/outdoor stuff; and Discover The World offer a well priced self-drive package for 3 days, but I doubt it would include flights which at that point on FI are through the roof (and for some reason it was giving me BD or BA to LHR then FI to KEF on the outbound Saturday 31st, I've flown FI to KEF direct from MAN on a Saturday in late October...)

Amsterdam is a cultural capital; there's a lot to see: more or less traditional museums, Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum. It's also very liberal if you're into that sort of thing (and over 18).

Amsterdam does seem interesting but getting there would probably just be KL straight to AMS. Also I'm 17 and gay, so whether it's liberal or not doesn't really interest me to be honest  

debonair

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:06 am

Quoting planejamie (Thread starter):
I'm currently looking for cheapish travel ideas (by air, and on interesting equipment/airlines or even BD, as much as I love BA...

Well, flight time is not the best, 185GBP is just okay - so why not travelling with SQ B777 to Munich? Hotels are also not too expansive, as April is not high season.  

roberts87

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 am

Quoting planejamie (Reply 3):
Amsterdam does seem interesting but getting there would probably just be KL straight to AMS. Also I'm 17 and gay, so whether it's liberal or not doesn't really interest me to be honest  

Amsterdam is worth a visit, if you've never been there. And really, you don't have to be gay to enjoy Amsterdam. There are lots of great museums, the downtown area is world famous with all it's canals, and some other great Dutch places (such as the historic Zaansche Schans or the tulips fields that are blooming in April) are within easy reach of Amsterdam by poblic transportation.

Vienna is a possibility, however I'd be going on airlines I'd flown before (probably BD to LHR then OS/BD to VIE)

Vienna is great too!

Switzerland again is a possibility, but with it being the end of Ski season (correct me if I'm wrong) we're not into Ski or snow...

You don't have to be into Skiing to enjoy Switzerland. Geneva, Zurich and Basel are very nice cities. Or take one of the scenic railroads trough the Alps.

Or, if you want to catch some sunshine, maybe something in Spain, such as Barcelona, Bilboa or Malaga?

byronicle6

Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:50 am

I would recommend SQ on MAN-MUC aboard their 77W aircraft, especially if you haven't flown SQ before. Great service, catering and IFE. Truly one of the worlds best airlines
Travel is my thing

SRQKEF

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Iceland is a good call too but there's not that much to do.

*cough*Yes there is*cough*  

But really, when you came here in October you were just in and around Reykjavik. Why not come here and go to Akureyri/Isafjordur/Egilsstadir? Air Iceland flights are generally cheap. Greenland is also an option from here. Go to Reykjavik, spend 2-4 days and then Greenland 2-4 days. Just an idea!

Also, I would call Air Iceland fairly interesting for 'outsiders', but not for me tho, the F50s are getting quite boring.  

Rgds,
Sveinn Th.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

signol

Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:45 pm

If your mum wants to go to Bruges by train, why not do one way by train, and one way fly? Cityjet / former VLM fly Antwerp to MAN on F50s I seem to recall, book through KL or AF website.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

eurowings

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Like byronicle6 I'd also recommend Munich on the Singapore Airlines 77W, it's the best flight out of MAN in my opinion. There are other options to get there as well like LH/BD, EZY or BA via LHR. You could combine airlines, so fly SQ to MUC and someone else back. That's the best way as the outbound flight times are really good but the inbound ones aren't so great (early in the morning returning from MUC).

Reading this report: www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/trip_reports/read.main/177016/ (by PlaneHunter) might tempt you

Munich is a lovely city, there really is so much to see and do. See: www.muenchen.de/int/en.html

Amsterdam does seem interesting but getting there would probably just be KL straight to AMS.

What do you class as interesting equipment? KL are flying Embraer 190s into MAN on some flights and Fokker 70s around Europe. You can get some very good deals on KL via AMS (or just to AMS).

[Edited 2012-01-18 07:06:52]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

817Dreamliiner

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Quoting debonair (Reply 4):
Well, flight time is not the best, 185GBP is just okay - so why not travelling with SQ B777 to Munich? Hotels are also not too expansive, as April is not high season.  

I would actually like to try this flight sometime in the furture, and the price isnt that bad In my opinion.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

planejamie
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:38 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies,

I would consider this, but whilst I've not flown SQ before, I've flown on the 777 many times (I love it) but the 77W is going to be around for a long time and it isn't exactly "exciting" for me, but I will consider it   I might try a different routing, at least with MUC I have several options to play around with (won't be AF...), it might come down to the cheapest and also most interesting (I don't mind 1-stop flights as long as the connection is pretty good and the airport decent, and doesn't require a terminal change)

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 5):
You don't have to be into Skiing to enjoy Switzerland. Geneva, Zurich and Basel are very nice cities. Or take one of the scenic railroads trough the Alps.

Or, if you want to catch some sunshine, maybe something in Spain, such as Barcelona, Bilboa or Malaga?

This is true, there is more than just Skiing in Switzerland and it is a possibility, Malaga, Benidorm, Alicante, and similar we've ruled out... as nice as they may be, we're not fans of just going somewhere for the sun.

Quoting SRQKEF (Reply 7):
But really, when you came here in October you were just in and around Reykjavik. Why not come here and go to Akureyri/Isafjordur/Egilsstadir? Air Iceland flights are generally cheap. Greenland is also an option from here. Go to Reykjavik, spend 2-4 days and then Greenland 2-4 days. Just an idea!

Also, I would call Air Iceland fairly interesting for 'outsiders', but not for me tho, the F50s are getting quite boring.  

I would love to do that, however it's the cost that's the issue with Iceland. The flights on FI cost quite a bit around that time and the tours/packages/etc are rather pricey with it being a time where many British schools visit. Plus my mum probably wouldn't be very happy on an "Bloody old WW2 bomber" (what she once referred to a BE Q400... so an F50 around Iceland might get a worse reaction... she was never a huge fan of the BD ERJ-145 to LHR... however I find them rather quaint (if that's the right word) even if I am 6ft 2 and have to cripple myself getting on them! Don't let those F50s get boring, they won't be around forever!

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 9):
What do you class as interesting equipment? KL are flying Embraer 190s into MAN on some flights and Fokker 70s around Europe. You can get some very good deals on KL via AMS (or just to AMS).

I wouldn't class an E190 interesting, whilst it is great and I wouldn't mind it, they're gonna be around for 10+ years, the F70s/100s maybe not... but I might look at KL

debonair

Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Well, flight time is not the best, 185GBP is just okay - so why not travelling with SQ B777 to Munich?

...just found another option, AIR BLUE Pakistan MAN-SAW-MAN 01st to 03rd April- unfortunately 308GBP!

HT

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Early April can be a nice time of year to head for Lake Constance (via ZRH, then train to either Konstanz or train to Romanshorn and ferry to Friedrichshafen). Another high-speed ferry is linking Konstanz with Friedrichshafen hourly.

Or fly into MXP and head for Lago Maggiore or Lago di Como (staying in Como). While technically Italy, the influence from Ticino is considerable.

When heading for Amsterdam, consider to pay a visit to Flowershow www.Keukenhof.nl near Lisse.

Jump onto a BE flight to HAJ and get bored. 
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

santos

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm

I would suggest that you try TP, if you're flexible you can find a return flight with TP for about £99 return.
Here is a recent trip report for MAN-LIS-MAN
Lisbon has plenty to see, very reasonable and not expensive city, airport is about 3 miles from city centre.
Warm weather in April.
TAP-dancing To Lisbon: Manchester’s New Route (by groobster Sep 8 2011 in Trip Reports)

planejamie
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Quoting debonair (Reply 12):
...just found another option, AIR BLUE Pakistan MAN-SAW-MAN 01st to 03rd April- unfortunately 308GBP!

I would love to do that, but... dear old mum might not, plus a little pricey (I presume that's a return price...)

Quoting HT (Reply 13):
Early April can be a nice time of year to head for Lake Constance (via ZRH, then train to either Konstanz or train to Romanshorn and ferry to Friedrichshafen). Another high-speed ferry is linking Konstanz with Friedrichshafen hourly.

Or fly into MXP and head for Lago Maggiore or Lago di Como (staying in Como). While technically Italy, the influence from Ticino is considerable.

When heading for Amsterdam, consider to pay a visit to Flowershow www.Keukenhof.nl near Lisse.

Jump onto a BE flight to HAJ and get bored. 
-HT

Lake Constance sounds interesting, add that to the list along with MUC (maybe not on SQ though but I haven't ruled out other routings), I'd like to go and give Italy another try, but my mum prefers to go somewhere she speaks the language (she's fluent in French and Spanish and obviously English), Italy, I was surprised at the number of people who didn't speak English, then again, why should they? It's their country...

Quoting santos (Reply 14):

I would suggest that you try TP, if you're flexible you can find a return flight with TP for about £99 return.
Here is a recent trip report for MAN-LIS-MAN
Lisbon has plenty to see, very reasonable and not expensive city, airport is about 3 miles from city centre.
Warm weather in April.

I had my eye on this but had forgotten about it until now, again another option there, I'll also look into that too!

My other idea was Brussels on SN. I have some Lufthansa Miles & More points/miles/whatevers (not many), but SN operate the Avro RJ (an aircraft not on my list and one I would love to catch), I had suggested spending a day in Brussels, day in Brugges and a day in Ypres and then a day to return (transport between these, I don't know, maybe rent a car or see how trains/public transport goes between them).

My shortlist so far (just to clarify):

MUC (maybe not on SQ, but maybe LH, BD, BA or someone else)
BRU (on SN)
LIS (on TP)
possibly AMS
possibly Switzerland

Also, how about Madrid (on YW / Air Nostrum), just did a search and it would be on a CRJ of some sort (can anyone find out, the booking engine with Iberia isn't listing any equipment type for the flights) and the price return for both of us would be £ 238 along with decent departure/arrival times at both ends, however according to a recent trip (by a friend who's not really an aviation geek but told me about his trip) over christmas to Brazil via MAD from MAN, he said that on the Air Nostrum flight, he wasn't too impressed as a) the plane was small (I laughed and said, try a BD ERJ then) b) they messed up the e-ticket somehow with his sister... however, it would be more One World/BA miles

Thanks everyone for your help so far 

dc9northwest

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting planejamie (Reply 15):
Also, how about Madrid

As a tourist destination... It's ok, been there last July, but IMO not that great. Just don't go during summer! The food isn't too good (in Spain in general, for my tastes).

Quoting planejamie (Reply 15):
MUC (maybe not on SQ, but maybe LH, BD, BA or someone else)
BRU (on SN)
LIS (on TP)
possibly AMS
possibly Switzerland

All good options. I'd go to Switzerland (because I've only been to Chur and Luzern and like adding destinations to my log).

Quoting SRQKEF (Reply 7):
*cough*Yes there is*cough*  

How about in Reykjavik? I was thinking about stopping by in September while going back to the States, but I wouldn't have the time to go out in the mountains, "far" flung small cities. I'm not a party guy btw...  

MH017

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:47 am

The Baltic States (TLL/RIX/VNO) would be worthwhile, price-wise, as well as BUD...

Apart from AMS, I would recommend BER: lot's of good- and cheap hotels and plenty of things to see (museums, GDR stuff); moreover, public transport is cheap and very frequent...
don't throw away tomorrow !

ndebelebev

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:48 pm

I am doing MAN-ARN-TLL-RIX-OSL-MAN next weekend od SAS, OV and BT... I get the 736, SF340, F50 and a Dash 8...

Flights and accom are about £200 all in...

I just hope its not too cold..

Bev...
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

planejamie
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 16):
As a tourist destination... It's ok, been there last July, but IMO not that great. Just don't go during summer! The food isn't too good (in Spain in general, for my tastes).

Yeah, that is a point, whilst I did say before the flight prices/times were right, they're on par with other destinations...

All good options. I'd go to Switzerland (because I've only been to Chur and Luzern and like adding destinations to my log).

The real question is, which airport to fly into? ZRH, BSL, GVA -- which one offers a better link to more "tourist" areas?

How about in Reykjavik? I was thinking about stopping by in September while going back to the States, but I wouldn't have the time to go out in the mountains, "far" flung small cities. I'm not a party guy btw...

You have the blue lagoon, various restaurants, can walk the sea front, I'm sure there's more  
Quoting MH017 (Reply 17):
The Baltic States (TLL/RIX/VNO) would be worthwhile, price-wise, as well as BUD...

Apart from AMS, I would recommend BER: lot's of good- and cheap hotels and plenty of things to see (museums, GDR stuff); moreover, public transport is cheap and very frequent...

The Baltic states are a possibility, however it's getting there, as Air Baltic are no longer serving MAN and other options via other airports on two airlines (again, my mum won't do this, I would) are a bit more expensive.

Quoting ndebelebev (Reply 18):
I am doing MAN-ARN-TLL-RIX-OSL-MAN next weekend od SAS, OV and BT... I get the 736, SF340, F50 and a Dash 8...

Flights and accom are about £200 all in...

I just hope its not too cold..

Sounds good, I would love to do that routing, but £200 for one person and with that kind of routing across different airlines, I don't think my mum would go near it!

HT

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Anything against France ?
FR is flying to BIQ

But then it hardly will beat Lisbon.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

SRQKEF

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 11):
Malaga, Benidorm, Alicante, and similar we've ruled out... as nice as they may be, we're not fans of just going somewhere for the sun.

Granada is a very beautiful city AFAIK and there is lot more there then the sun. A bit more real Spain, not just some tourist beaches.  
Quoting planejamie (Reply 11):
Don't let those F50s get boring, they won't be around forever!

I know! But I've already flown 6 flights on them, while I've only got one on the Dash 8-100 of Air Iceland. Hoping to catch more flights on it. Also, I'm maybe going on the DHC-6 Twin Otter from Akureyri to Grimsey and Vopnafjordur and back to Akureyri. It's flying for Air Iceland but operated by Norlandair.

No need to party here. I'm under 18 so I don't know the party live here.  

Btw, Reykjavik is actually the only 'city' in Iceland. Akureyri is nr. 2, but with only 13000 people it isn't a city. Kopavogur, an independent suburb of Reykjavik, has 60000 but is still not a city.

But in all seriousness, there is lot to do in Reykjavik. If you would come here in the summer there are many beautiful golf courses (if you're into golf) and there are also the pools that are warmed with natural water warmness. If you're in a group you could also try LaserTag, it's great! Wa also have many great restaurants.

You should at least try to come here sometime.  

Rgds,
Sveinn
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

planejamie
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 20):
Anything against France ?
FR is flying to BIQ

But then it hardly will beat Lisbon.
-HT

Nothing against France, except with my mother loving it a lot and having travelled to most places, we fancied somewhere new  
Quoting SRQKEF (Reply 21):
Granada is a very beautiful city AFAIK and there is lot more there then the sun. A bit more real Spain, not just some tourist beaches.  

Possible, we also thought about Majorca as we haven't been in YEARS! (my first flight was to Palma on a Flying Colours 757-200 from Bristol, back in 1999). I'm considering Madrid no matter how crap the food might be! Just to possibly catch the CRJ-1000 (I think they send them to MAN? Photo search reveals no results...) or any CRJ for me, not been on one yet (been on the ERJ-145...)

I'm quite pleased with the flights to BRU, I could catch both an Avro RJ85 and RJ100... both new, not flown a 146 or Avro RJ before! 

dc9northwest

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:51 pm

Compared to Madrid, Granada is much nicer to visit, but it's much harder to get there as the airport I believe has few or no international flights. The food is better in Granada since there are many places serving arabic fare. The Alhambra is definitely worth visiting at least once in your lifetime. Again, I'd recommend... not in summer.

Quoting planejamie (Reply 19):
The real question is, which airport to fly into? ZRH, BSL, GVA -- which one offers a better link to more "tourist" areas?

ZRH is more of a business centre than a tourist place, so I'd advise you to choose GVA as your main entry point. That said, Switzerland is not that big so any airport would probably do... The transportation within Switzerland is likely to be on the expensive side (Switzerland is doing quite well economically I think).

Btw, Reykjavik is actually the only 'city' in Iceland. Akureyri is nr. 2, but with only 13000 people it isn't a city.

Well, I'll definitely stop by within the next few years as I have a plan to set foot in all the sovereign states of "political" Europe by the time I'm 28. As long as Icelandair keeps offering those stopover fares it will be easy to do so. Interesting to hear Akureyri isn't classified as a city.

planejamie
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 23):
Compared to Madrid, Granada is much nicer to visit, but it's much harder to get there as the airport I believe has few or no international flights. The food is better in Granada since there are many places serving arabic fare. The Alhambra is definitely worth visiting at least once in your lifetime. Again, I'd recommend... not in summer.

Yeah, having lived in Saudi Arabia for 2 years, I do have a taste for Arabic cuisine, might be worth looking into as well, it's just getting there that's the issue!

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 23):
ZRH is more of a business centre than a tourist place, so I'd advise you to choose GVA as your main entry point. That said, Switzerland is not that big so any airport would probably do... The transportation within Switzerland is likely to be on the expensive side (Switzerland is doing quite well economically I think).

Yeah, again it's getting to GVA... I don't particularly want to fly U2/EZ if I'm honest, I'd rather stick to a legacy/full carrier  

dc9northwest

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 am

Quoting planejamie (Reply 24):

Yeah, again it's getting to GVA... I don't particularly want to fly U2/EZ if I'm honest, I'd rather stick to a legacy/full carrier  

Well, if one-stop is ok you can try KL; I'm not sure what classifies as interesting equipment to you, but maybe you're lucky and can get an F70 (I'm not sure what they use on these routes... would guess E190 to Geneva).

If the Avro RJ-85/100 is interesting, you could check SN Brussels... Well, amadeus.net would probably show you prices, aircraft, schedules, all in one place.

I'm not a big fan of low-cost airlines either.

planejamie
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:21 am

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 25):
Well, if one-stop is ok you can try KL; I'm not sure what classifies as interesting equipment to you, but maybe you're lucky and can get an F70 (I'm not sure what they use on these routes... would guess E190 to Geneva).

If the Avro RJ-85/100 is interesting, you could check SN Brussels... Well, amadeus.net would probably show you prices, aircraft, schedules, all in one place.

I'm not a big fan of low-cost airlines either.

Yeah, I've used amadeus.net quite a bit actually haha   I might try and get a trip on SN, I've flown on an F100 before with AF but not an RJ85/100, plus they aren't going to be around forever!

If I did go with BRU on SN the issue there is transport to see more of Belgium (we'd like to see Bruges, Ypres and Brussels)... could it be done by train from BRU to these places or would hiring a car be easier?

eurowings

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:28 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 26):
If I did go with BRU on SN the issue there is transport to see more of Belgium (we'd like to see Bruges, Ypres and Brussels)... could it be done by train from BRU to these places or would hiring a car be easier?

Belgium is a reasonably small country with a well developed rail network - all of these places are easily accessible from Brussels Airport by rail. It's reasonably priced too.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

rutankrd

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 26):

Brussels and Bruge very easy on train

Airport Station - Brussels Midi then very regular services to Oostend
Also from Midi hourly train to Leper/Ypres.

SNCB network pretty comprehensive and reasonably cheap.

Whilst writing i would also add to Santos recommendation for your short spring break with mother why not try Lisbon ,

Has castle with views , restaurants galore , shopping , trams, an electric street lift (funny thing ) Fado music in evening , museums, cathedral, river views, take a local train Cais do Sodre to Cascais or Estoril for the sea side or go on a tour of the hills to see residences in Sintra and perhaps the light house at the most westerly point of main land Europe.

Even try a trip to Setubal over the river for more of the sea and food.
(You will travel on a bit of railway i worked on some years ago)

http://www.golisbon.com/

planejamie
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting EuroWings (Reply 27):
Belgium is a reasonably small country with a well developed rail network - all of these places are easily accessible from Brussels Airport by rail. It's reasonably priced too.
Quoting rutankrd (Reply 28):
Brussels and Bruge very easy on train

Airport Station - Brussels Midi then very regular services to Oostend
Also from Midi hourly train to Leper/Ypres.

SNCB network pretty comprehensive and reasonably cheap.

Whilst writing i would also add to Santos recommendation for your short spring break with mother why not try Lisbon ,

Has castle with views , restaurants galore , shopping , trams, an electric street lift (funny thing ) Fado music in evening , museums, cathedral, river views, take a local train Cais do Sodre to Cascais or Estoril for the sea side or go on a tour of the hills to see residences in Sintra and perhaps the light house at the most westerly point of main land Europe.

Even try a trip to Setubal over the river for more of the sea and food.
(You will travel on a bit of railway i worked on some years ago)

http://www.golisbon.com/

Thanks for the information   Belgium and Lisbon both sound very tempting, good to hear that both places have decent public transport. I've never been to Portugal, so that could be interesting  

planejamie
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:59 pm

I figured that I would tell you all the final decision, my mum fancied London, however (god help me), she wants to go by train... despite costing more than a return flight with BD and being more uncomfortable (in my opinion, I mean, you're not assigned a seat as such and based on the fact we're travelling Monday morning, it will be packed and therefore you'll be squashed next to someone for 2 hours...)

However, it'll be an experience for me (and the last bloody time too)... worse still, it's funding the Virgin economy...

On the upside, I will have a job soon so after that I might fly BD down to LHR and maybe try to get to TXL on my own (a daytrip perhaps) to fly BD for the last time (they'll probably be BA after the summer or some other idea) and also to fly into TXL for the first and last time  

Thanks for all your advice guys! I'll definitely try the other destinations (and trips) at a later date (as I said, I've scored a good music teaching job part time which is decent pay), so more flying 

eurowings

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:51 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 30):
I figured that I would tell you all the final decision, my mum fancied London, however (god help me), she wants to go by train... despite costing more than a return flight with BD and being more uncomfortable (in my opinion, I mean, you're not assigned a seat as such and based on the fact we're travelling Monday morning, it will be packed and therefore you'll be squashed next to someone for 2 hours...)

You can get a seat reservation on all services operated by Virgin Trains and they are compulsory for Advance purchase tickets (i.e. tickets which say "Advance Single" and restrict you to one train) .

If you're travelling First Class (I'm presuming you're not), then Monday morning is great because you get a full at-seat hot breakfast with drinks.