travel121
Topic Author

Opinions On Checking In Using A Smartphone

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Whats everyones thought on checking in using a smartphone?

blueflyer

RE: Opinions On Checking In Using A Smartphone

Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 pm

When the scanner works at the gate, it's great. I'm all for less paper.

When it doesn't, it can be a bit of a hassle.

It helps to remember to turn off screen auto-rotate.
This space forcibly cleansed to protect truthers

WestJet747

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:27 pm

I've recently started doing it and I prefer it. Sometimes when I'm flying light it is just too much of a hassle to carry any papers around; having my passport, wallet, and BlackBerry is all I need.

Airline apps aren't always the best though. But as more airlines introduce them and improve the existing ones we will certainly see more people utilizing this feature.
Flying refined.

threeifbyair

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:45 pm

I've had 2 experiences this year.

I used the AS app to check in at SFO - that was a mistake. The TSA couldn't find the right scanner to read my iPhone and I ended up waiting another 5+ minutes for them to find one... which didn't work for another 2-3 minutes.

I checked in using the DL app at JFK, but I went to a kiosk to print a hard copy boarding pass instead because my phone battery was running low.

Overall, smartphone check-in is a nice feature, but you need to be prepared for some issues.

wilco737

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:48 pm

Quoting Travel121 (Thread starter):
Whats everyones thought on checking in using a smartphone?
Quoting blueflyer (Reply 1):
When the scanner works at the gate, it's great. I'm all for less paper.

Blueflyer hit the nail on the head. It is quite nice IF it works fine. If not it is a little annoying but can be solved as well.

Just be careful your battery won't die right before boarding 

wilco737

signol

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:10 pm

I've done it twince, once with Germanwings and again with BA.

Germanwings was different as I was emailed an image of a barcode, no app, so I could download it abroad in my hotel's wireless so no roaming needed. Worked fine  

The BA app also worked perfectly, the app stores the barcode image locally as well so no network needed at the time.

I was impressed but make sure you've plenty of battery life!

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

jetblueguy22

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:27 pm

I've used it on DL and liked it a lot. Very convenient and I didn't have to worry about losing my boarding pass. You just have to make sure you get in the electronic boarding pass lane.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

[email protected]

Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:39 am

I don't like it, call me old style, but I like to have the e-option, but don't use it much. I check in online usually, but don't print anything and then print it at the airport.
It's simple, I don't have to care about the battery, that anybody is calling me right at time of boarding and I usually have all data when airlines didn't credit me the miles. Also when I have to catch a connection flight in a rush, I don't have to switch on my phone and as I have to carry my passport anyhow that small piece of paper doesn't bothers me too much.
But I love the apps / sms function e.g. from LH, you receive flight changes / re bookings etc... smoothly without going to a counter. Anyhow I don't understand, when airlines are forcing us to a e-boarding pass, why I got a mail to pick my new boarding (in case of flight change) instead of they just mail me the new one, just not consistence

srbmod

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:24 pm

I've used it on three trips last year on DL and loved it. I didn't have any problems checking in with my BlackBerry, and only once did I have to go to a different security line because it didn't have the scanner. In the past, I'd check in for the flight out once I got home to do so and for the return, I wouldn't check in until I got to the airport because either I didn't want to spend the money to purchase the minimal time on an internet kiosk or if I had my netbook with me, I didn't have a way to print my boarding pass.

lhr380

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:30 am

Done it on BA with the app and the strange one KL have. Easy to use, no issues.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

WROORD

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:41 am

I just used it on UA last week. I e-mailed the boarding pass to my e-mail on my phone. I had to enlarge the bar code to get through security, otherwise it did not want to work. No other issues.