Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jamesontheroad
Topic Author

One-way Flights UK>USA Priced Less Than Returns?

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Hello. We have a trip coming up later this year that will require us to buy a one way flight from the UK to the mid-west USA, ideally MSP, however we could easily fly into an east coast hub and make our way onwards overland or by another flight.

So far, the only airlines I've found that price one-way flights across the Atlantic for less than a return (or, to put it another way, price round-trips as the combined cost of two one-ways) are Icelandair and Air Transat.

We could buy a roundtrip and simply not use the return portion. But I wondered whether there were any other airlines who priced their one-way flights for less than roundtrips. We're reasonably happy to fly into any east coast or mid-west hub, as we'll have time to travel onwards to our final destination in MN.

Thanks for any tips   

Joost

RE: One-way Flights UK>USA Priced Less Than Return

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:45 pm

Quoting jamesontheroad (Thread starter):
We could buy a roundtrip and simply not use the return portion. But I wondered whether there were any other airlines who priced their one-way flights for less than roundtrips

Aer Lingus also uses one-way pricing. I checked for random dates in May LHR-DUB-ORD, and it's all around GBP 450 for a one-way.

However when heading to MSP, Icelandair is probably the most comfortable choice, as they fly into MSP and in the UK, give you the choice to fly from GLA, MAN and LHR.

RJNUT

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:33 pm

PIA HAS nonstops from MAN to JFK several times a week for a good one way rate!

RamblinMan

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:06 pm

If you're trying to get to MSP, I'd do Icelandair. Otherwise you could try EI into ORD, then a megabus ticket up to Minneapolis costs as little as $9, takes 7-8 hours.

AeroWesty

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Quoting jamesontheroad (Thread starter):
But I wondered whether there were any other airlines who priced their one-way flights for less than roundtrips.

Are you using ITA for fare quotes? You can't book with them, but they offer a tremendous amount of flexibility in terms of routings and pricing to search for fares:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Login as a guest if it's your first time.

EI into ORD is a great suggestion. With AA having just reinstated their ORD-DUB flights, you might see some competition out of DUB or via DUB.
International Homo of Mystery

jamesontheroad
Topic Author

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks for all the input; login problem meant I couldn't acknowledge sooner. Icelandair still looks like the way to go; also tempted by a stopover.

Cheers