Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trident3
Topic Author

Dublin Pre Clearance

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm

I will be transiting through Dublin shortly, flying in from LGW on EI233 and onwards to BOS on EI137. I have ample time to make the connection but have a question about the US pre-clearance facility. Is it best to go through as soon as I have passed security or to wait until closer to departure time? Once through are you held in a "sterile" are or are you free to move around the departure lounge?
Also while I'm here, has anyone on here flow long haul on Aer Lingus? Space and comfort wise, how does the A330 compare to the A320?

Thanks in advance for all your help ANetters!
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

ClassicLover

RE: Dublin Pre Clearance

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Quoting trident3 (Thread starter):
Also while I'm here, has anyone on here flow long haul on Aer Lingus?

The A330 feels nice and roomy compared to the A320 of course.

There are PTVs at each seat - food and non-alcoholic drinks are free, you need to pay for alcoholic drinks (assuming you're flying Economy).

They will put bags of blankets at each door after take-off which you'll see everyone run to get once the seatbelts sign is off  

The food is nice the crews are super friendly, and you'll enjoy it.

No idea on the pre-clearance, as the last time I went it was in Terminal 1 and it was segregated. Once you had passed through, you couldn't get back out. I assume it's the same in the new Terminal 2.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

AmricanShamrok

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:58 pm

Once you go through the CBP preclearance you will be "held" in the gate area (401-406) with fellow US-bound passengers until the aircraft is ready for boarding. You will not be able to go back to the departure lounge. This is how it works at SNN anyway; I assume DUB is no different.

auntie

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 2):
Once you go through the CBP preclearance you will be "held" in the gate area (401-406) with fellow US-bound passengers until the aircraft is ready for boarding. You will not be able to go back to the departure lounge. This is how it works at SNN anyway; I assume DUB is no different.

Yes, it's the same in DUB and there's not much down at the gate area either, I think from memory, maybe a kiosk and a bar. So no I wouldn't be racing down there hours before your flight! I would stay in the departures area as long as possible.

dstc47

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:06 pm

Quoting trident3 (Thread starter):
Is it best to go through as soon as I have passed security or to wait until closer to departure time?

Often the queues for clearance are very slow, due to bunching of the US departures, so do not leave it too late.

Since the opening of Terminal 2, the area for pre clearance at DUB is now much more spacious than the old facility in T1 which really was a horror when crowded, so it is not so miserable down there anymore.

However, do eat, buy reading material, and shop before leaving the main terminal as facilities are limited.

tonystan

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Also as the flight is technically now a "domestic" service into the US there is no facility to purchase duty free shopping onboard anymore into the US so best to do your duty free shopping upstairs prior to descending to Immigration!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

B747forever

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 1):
They will put bags of blankets at each door after take-off which you'll see everyone run to get once the seatbelts sign is off

Why dont they distribute them before takeoff or have them on every seat before boarding?
Work Hard, Fly Right

eurowings

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 6):
Why dont they distribute them before takeoff or have them on every seat before boarding?

On my last EI transatlantic flight, which was earlier this month, blankets and pillows were placed on seats.

I wouldn't leave the preclearance too late as it can be a lengthy process, there is a small WHSmith, bar and kiosk near the gates, but nothing too extensive.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

trident3
Topic Author

Wed May 02, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I'm flying Friday so It seems best to do security, full irish and a pint, quick mooch around the shops, pre-clear, sit there and read. Cheers guys!
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

ClassicLover

Sat May 05, 2012 11:00 am

Quoting B747forever (Reply 6):
Quoting eurowings (Reply 7):
On my last EI transatlantic flight, which was earlier this month, blankets and pillows were placed on seats.

Oh, that's an improvement - and quite logical really. I never knew why there were bags placed at the doors and the free for all that followed.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

L1011

Sat May 05, 2012 9:39 pm

I flew DUB to MCO last week on Aer Lingus and it was very nice. The pre-clearance went smoothly and was quick. The A330 had pillows on every seat, but not blankets. Meal and snack were free, but snacks and beverages at other times were not free. They were being sold from the galley. Cabin crew were business-like, but not very friendly. The gate agent put in my British Airways frequent flier number, but British Airways said that flight was ineligable for mileage.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

trident3
Topic Author

Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 am

Just got back. Pre clearence is great, we were the last flight out to the USA for the day so there were no queues at all. As for blankets, rather confusingly on the flight back there was one between 2 seats. Were we supposed to share?, just as well I had a cute seatmate