Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

heysfo
Topic Author

Airports Where A/C Crews Are Not Allowed To Stay

Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Was curious what airports around the world are in unsafe cities so much so that the aircraft crews cannot depart the aircraft.. I know one is Abuja Nigeria .... any others?

airtran737

RE: Airports Where A/C Crews Are Not Allowed To St

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Quoting heysfo (Thread starter):
I know one is Abuja Nigeria .... any others?

We stay in Abuja all the time. Security is in the eye of the beholder. I think AF still flies to BZV rather than laying over in FIH.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

FI642

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 1):

We stay in Abuja all the time. Security is in the eye of the beholder. I think AF still flies to BZV rather than laying over in FIH.

Uh, look who you are owned by, I mean work for. It's not safe. When I was there with the pickle (the plane) the crew was forbidden to get off.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

FlySSC

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 1):
I think AF still flies to BZV rather than laying over in FIH.

AF flies to both BZV & FIH but when arriving at FIH, a pirate plane takes the crew to BZV for staying.

AF crews don't stay at ROB or FNA (they stay at CKY).

airtran737

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:26 pm

I really didn't find ABV to be all that unsafe. Then again when flying in west Africa one must take in account that they are in the asshole of the universe and should accept that fate could deal a fatal blow at anytime. It was an hour drive from the hotel to the airport and we stayed at a major hotel with zero security. I felt a lot more unsafe in Goma than I did in ABV. PHC is the only place that I have been to where I was told flat out that if I wasn't flight crew that I would be killed for not being muslim.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

gilesdavies

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 pm

BMI operate London to Tehran and as far as I am aware, the airline does not allow crew to night stop there...

The route operates via Yerevan, and from what I understand this is where crew stop over.

I don't think it really due to Tehran been considered dangerous, but more due to the political situation between the UK and Iran, and the airline would rather place their crews in a country with a less extreme view to the west.

imiakhtar

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:42 pm

There was a time a couple of years ago when PK crews didn't leave the confines of PEW. It followed an incident where the Taliban attacked the crew's hotel. I believe an A310 captain and an FA were killed in the attack. I'm not sure what the current policy for airlines operating into PEW is.
Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky?

Wingtips56

Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 pm

I don't know if this is still true, but AA crews would not stay at LPB if the plane went tech there because of the impact of high elevation. They were deadheaded on a local carrier "downhill" to VVI/Santa Cruz and deadheaded back up when the plane was fixed. Normal flight routing was MIA-LPB-VVI-MIA.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

ltbewr

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:05 pm

I would presume as to some countries, exceptionally strict work visa requirements or exceptional costs including bribes may make crew overnight stays practically impossible.

As noted in an earlier post, those not of the main faith of the destination country, like certain strict Islamic faith dominated countries or regions may basically ban those not of the faith or in particular women would have to endure unacceptable standards of strict religious rules vs almost all other countries. Some places may see any 'infidels' as not able to enter the country. I wonder if as to Saudi Arabia, and in particular with Mecca and Medina during Hajj, non-Muslims may not leave the plane or the airport ?

I suspect the labor contracts of airlines with crew members or their unions may have clauses where they may not be required to stay over in certain cities or countries due to safety, inconvenience, being forced to endure objectionable cultural restrictions.

I wouild also suspect crew members from certain countries, especially the UK and the USA, may not be allowed to stay in certain cities for layovers due to political conflicts.

prosa

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:16 pm

PHC is the only place that I have been to where I was told flat out that if I wasn't flight crew that I would be killed for not being muslim.

I'm surprised, Port Harcourt is in the mainly Christian part of Nigeria.

Isn't PAP on the no-layover list for AA crews?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

bastew

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:37 pm

BA crews have been slipping in Abuja for years.

Within the last month though BA has received intelligence of direct threats against western target there.

The aircraft has been switched from a 777 to a 747....the upper deck of the 747 now acts as a crew rest area and the flight carries two crews. One operates the outbound and positions home. The other positions out and operates the return.

jmw99ttu

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:49 pm

When I worked for AA we weren't allowed to overnight in PAP. Twice I remember deadheading out on the last flight to MIA when our A300 went tech.

It seems like CCS was off limits at times. Someone else can probably confirm or correct me on that one.

by738

Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:50 pm

Quoting bastew (Reply 10):
The aircraft has been switched from a 777 to a 747....the upper deck of the 747 now acts as a crew rest area and the flight carries two crews. One operates the outbound and positions home. The other positions out and operates the return

Surely that cannot last....

LONGisland89

Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 3):
but when arriving at FIH, a pirate plane takes the crew to BZV for staying.

Was I the only one that giggled when I read this?

hoons90

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:34 am

IIRC TK crews don't lay over in MGQ, hence the KRT stop.

When the tsunami happened, BA, LH, AF, OS, SK and LX crews stopped laying over at NRT. BA, LH, AF and OS all added a stop at ICN where the crews had a layover, SK in PEK and LX in HKG.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

david21487

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 am

DL crews stopped laying over in LOS for a short period of time while the air conditioning at the hotel was broken. For security reasons, it was the only approved layover hotel in the city, so the ATL-LOS-ATL flight used to flag stop in ACC on a daily basis for a crew change. The ATL crew would get off and layover in ACC and a NYC crew would pick up the rest of the flight and do an ACC-LOS-ACC turnaround. On arrival back into ACC that same day, the NYC crew would get off and layover and another ATL crew would board the flight and take it on to ATL.

I'm not exactly sure how long this went on, but I was deadheaded from JFK to ACC with a crew of 7 to do nothing but ACC-LOS-ACC turns for 5 days.

I know this is the same hotel used by other airlines that layover in LOS, so I'm curious to know how they handled the situation, or if they did anything at all.
-- Step! Jump! Slide! --

Eltomzo

Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 8):
As noted in an earlier post, those not of the main faith of the destination country, like certain strict Islamic faith dominated countries or regions may basically ban those not of the faith or in particular women would have to endure unacceptable standards of strict religious rules vs almost all other countries. Some places may see any 'infidels' as not able to enter the country. I wonder if as to Saudi Arabia, and in particular with Mecca and Medina during Hajj, non-Muslims may not leave the plane or the airport ?

Foreign aircrews during the Hajj do enter the country at Jeddah, but under quite onerous restrictions. They have to stay in their hotels as far as I know, so it's not much fun there.

Passport control is apparently a nightmare. My Dad was operating frequent Hajj flights from Indonesia and each and every time the crew would be in passport control for 3hrs plus, even though they'd all been there many times before.

Baexecutive

Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Quoting bastew (Reply 10):

As of 1st July AC used is a 777, crew still do not NS in Abuja however.