Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tockeyhockey
Topic Author

Make Your Case For My Business!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm not sure if this is quite appropriate for this forum, but I prefer to post here as opposed to flyertalk.

I'm about to accept a job that will require me to fly to Europe approximately 12 times a year (mostly London, but several trips a year to Germany, Italy, and France... perhaps an occasional trip on to Turkey, Greece, and the Middle East). I live near BWI, but a drive to IAD isn't out of the question.

The way I see it, I have four options:

BA has a daily nonstop to LHR from BWI. It's an overnight flight, which i dread. but at least it's close by.

UA can get me to LHR out of IAD nonstop, and I could use other star alliance carriers to get to various cities on the continent (LH to FRA for instance) and still earn miles/status on UA.

I could also fly Virgin Atlantic out of IAD, I suppose.

I could fly one of the other large american airlines (AA, US, or DL) from BWI, connect to a hub, then head to london and other european cities. this is probably the least ideal scenario -- or is it?

Anyway, my main concerns are comfort, frequency, and ability to earn status that will translate into upgrades in a quick fashion.

My question to the community is -- what would you do? Which airline would you choose? Why?

MesaFlyGuy

RE: Make Your Case For My Business!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Quoting tockeyhockey (Thread starter):
I'm about to accept a job that will require me to fly to Europe approximately 12 times a year

Nice! Congradulations on the new job!

UA can get me to LHR out of IAD nonstop, and I could use other star alliance carriers to get to various cities on the continent (LH to FRA for instance) and still earn miles/status on UA.

That's what I'd do personally. Get the benefits of earning the miles and maybe get better timings that suit your wants and needs. Plus I'm pretty loyal to Star Alliance myself.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

BMI727

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:25 pm

BA has a daily nonstop to LHR from BWI. It's an overnight flight, which i dread. but at least it's close by.

Most of them are overnight flights. There are a few daytime flights from the East Coast (IAD probably has one) but they are not horribly popular with business travelers. For that matter, your employer might not like you wasting basically an entire day flying versus taking a red eye.

My question to the community is -- what would you do?

Case by case basis at first. Twelve round trips per year in business would grant you status on more than one alliance anyway. My advice is to just go with the schedule and price that fits best for each trip. Given some time one airline or alliance will probably emerge as the best one for your needs.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Mir

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 2):
There are a few daytime flights from the East Coast (IAD probably has one) but they are not horribly popular with business travelers. For that matter, your employer might not like you wasting basically an entire day flying versus taking a red eye.

UA does have a daytime IAD-LHR flight. And having recently taken a daytime JFK-LHR, I have to say that they're a great way to go and it really helps cut down on jetlag. Yes, you do lose more time, but you're also in far better shape the day after you get there, whereas I find that the first day after you arrive after an overnight is pretty much wasted anyway (except for perhaps the afternoon).

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Rdh3e

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm about to accept a job that will require me to fly to Europe approximately 12 times a year (mostly London, but several trips a year to Germany, Italy, and France... perhaps an occasional trip on to Turkey, Greece, and the Middle East). I live near BWI, but a drive to IAD isn't out of the question.

UA at IAD offers:

LHR, MUC, FRA, CDG, your middle east stuff you have on UA KWI, DXB, DOH, BAH, then you have seasonally FCO, connect to EWR and you've got IST. Sounds like you're a tailor made UA customer my friend.

flyingthe757

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 pm

So, with BA your have 4 flights out of Washington, 1 BWI and 3 IAD, all with good connections at the other end to A good range of BA domestic, euro and international destinations. Most connect directly though T5 depending on the route. With a joint business in place, should there be any issues with a flight, you have the AA network to fall back on as well as the BA one forgetting back to the US. Good mileage ACCRUL and lounges, onbusiness (check out their website) new aircraft coming, upgraded cabins and IFE.