Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skinny
Topic Author

DAL41 Holding Over Birmingham

Sun May 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Just noticed dal41 holding over Birmingham dumping fuel maybe?
http://fr24.com/DAL41

[Edited 2013-05-19 07:36:49]

GPHOTO

RE: DAL41 Holding Over Birmingham

Sun May 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Been circling for some time now. Just flew over my house in Worcester, southwest of Birmingham, at about 22,000 ft. Nothing unusual to see, not that I would expect to see anything.

Best regards,

Jim
Erm, is this thing on?

skinny
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Just flew over my house in Solihull again strange looks like she got to Ireland and turned back.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun May 19, 2013 3:26 pm

Descending now back to Heathrow. Multitude of possibilities to include mechanical issues or a possible medical.
What gets measured gets done.

mayor

Sun May 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Does FlightRadar always put the same pic up at the top for each airline or did they just mess up by using one of a DL 777?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun May 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 4):

It's showing a 764 for me.

mayor

Sun May 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 5):
It's showing a 764 for me.

Sorry, I guess it is for me, too.......I looked at the back end and it looked like a T7.

BTW, it does look like this flight has a normal equipment change in MSP, to an A320.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

premobrimo

Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 6):

Yeah, I can't stand how Flight Radar has this flight as LHR-SEA (via MSP). It's LHR-MSP. The flight number stays the same purely for Delta marketing purposes.
Now You're Flying Smart.

FlyASAGuy2005

Sun May 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Quoting premobrimo (Reply 7):

But it is LHR-MSP-SEA..

The terminating point is SEA marketing or not.

Bobloblaw

Sun May 19, 2013 4:33 pm

When talking about Delta, please state if its Birmingham BHX or BHM. I thought it was BHM at first, which would make sense as there are heavy heavy storms in ATL right now.

mayor

Sun May 19, 2013 4:44 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 9):
When talking about Delta, please state if its Birmingham BHX or BHM. I thought it was BHM at first, which would make sense as there are heavy heavy storms in ATL right now.

Well, if you had read some of the subsequent posts, you would realize which Birmingham the OP was referring to, especially when it's said that DL41 is heading back to Heathrow.....that just MIGHT have been an indicator.  

Or if you had pulled up the map on FlightRadar as indicated and didn't see the southeast U.S., but Britain and Ireland, instead.

Bobloblaw

Sun May 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 10):
..that just MIGHT have been an indicator.

I am talking about the headline. And I dont know every one of DL's flight numbers to know where DL 41 is going other than it is a transatlantic widebody. Is it so impossible that a ATL bound widebody would be circling over BHM????   

EA CO AS

Sun May 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 9):When talking about Delta, please state if its Birmingham BHX or BHM. I thought it was BHM at first, which would make sense as there are heavy heavy storms in ATL right now.
Well, if you had read some of the subsequent posts, you would realize which Birmingham the OP was referring to

I think the point is he wouldn't have had to waste time reading the thread to determine which Birmingham we're talking about if the OP had bothered to use a city code in the thread title, that's all.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mayor

Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 11):
I am talking about the headline. And I dont know every one of DL's flight numbers to know where DL 41 is going other than it is a transatlantic widebody. Is it so impossible that a ATL bound widebody would be circling over BHM????

You need to go past the headline......I realize that the headline MIGHT be misleading, but seeing the Union Jack next to the OP's name, might have given you a clue. If not, certainly by reply #3, where it mentions Heathrow. You're a lawyer.....you should notice these things......  

timboflier215

Sun May 19, 2013 5:18 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 12):
waste time reading the thread

So because it's happening in the UK, it's less worthy of note than if it were Alabama? :-p

kaitak

Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 pm

OK, now that we've established which Birmingham we're talking about, let's move on! I noticed the aircraft's odd flightpath this morning, when I looked at it on F24; it went a little west of Ireland, then turned and headed back. I think it must be something mechanical, because if it were medical or security related, it would have diverted to Shannon.

I think DAL's fleet bosses would be somewhat concerned at an LHR-SEA flight ending up anywhere near Birmingham (or anywhere else in) Alabama!

So, where is it now?

Summa767

Sun May 19, 2013 5:38 pm

According to Delta.com the flight is 6 hours late, but now boarding (6.30 pm UK time), expecting imminent departure.

zschocheimages

Sun May 19, 2013 5:53 pm

I would guess it was something mechanical and/or navigational related. If you look at the flight track on Flight Aware and zoom in on the holding pattern and other parts of the flight path, it is very non standard. There are several apparent course deviations and subsequent corrections.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL41
Why fly with 2 engines when you can have 3?

kgaiflyer

Sun May 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 9):
Well, if you had read some of the subsequent posts, you would realize which Birmingham the OP was referring to, especially when it's said that DL41 is heading back to Heathrow.....that just MIGHT have been an indicator.
Quoting bobloblaw (Reply 11):
I am talking about the headline. And I dont know every one of DL's flight numbers to know where DL 41 is going other than it is a transatlantic widebody. Is it so impossible that a ATL bound widebody would be circling over

I see the points on both sides -- although I normally wind up circling over London rather than Birmingham.

In fact, recent thunderstorm activity has sent planes heading into ATL to diversion airports. So this confusion over place names is understandable.

Perhaps the younger of the two Birminghams should change its name to something else? That would solve the problem.  

skinny
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Sorry Yes Birmingham UK

Birmingham Airport (IATA: BHX, ICAO: EGBB), formerly Birmingham International Airport[3] is an airport located 5.5 NM (10.2 km; 6.3 mi) east southeast of Birmingham city centre, at Bickenhill in the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull within the West Midlands, England. The airport is a base for Flybe, Monarch, Ryanair, Thomas Cook Airlines and Thomson Airways.

The airport offers both domestic flights within the UK, and international flights to destinations in Europe, the Middle East, Pakistan, North America and the Caribbean. After handling a record 9.6 million passengers in 2008, passenger numbers declined to around 8.9 million in 2012, making Birmingham the seventh busiest UK airport.[2]

Birmingham has a CAA Public Use Aerodrome Licence (Number P451) that allows flights for the public transport of passengers or for flying instruction.

Never heard of Birmingham Alabama  

mayor

Sun May 19, 2013 6:56 pm

Sorry, but regardless of a lack of info in the thread title, there's more than enough clues, elsewhere so that this wouldn't be a problem.

airportugal310

Tue May 21, 2013 5:30 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 20):

Agreed. In fact, I find is fascinating that in the time it took for that person to complain about the title being misleading or whatever, one could have easily have just kept reading on to find the clues. And like you said, there were lots!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”