Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

baldwin471
Topic Author

Thinking About Flying The DY 788 To Bangkok

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 am

Hey. My girlfriend and I will be flying from London to Bangkok on the 2nd September, and i'm still deliberating as to who to fly. The cheapest fare (By FAR, i might add), is with DY, for £449 for both of us including bags/meals/seat selection etc, from OSL to BKK on their new 788. Obviously getting to Oslo from London has to be added on too, but this will only be £90 for the two of us with DY from LGW. So £539 altogether.

The next cheapest fare is with AI, for £650 for the two of us, flying LHR-DEL-BKK. Having flown Air India only twice and having an appalling experience both times, i'm pretty certain i don't want to fly them again, especially for £100 more than the Norwegian fare.

The problem is that i'm a little worried about what DY's product will be like. They are obviously a low fare carrier, and i"m a little hesitant to try their long haul product. Also, i'm kinda worried that i'll book myself onto a flight expecting to be on a brand new 788, but it'll be replaced by one of their HiFly 340's. A risk i have to take for a cheap fare, i guess.

I'm just wondering if any of you have flown DY's 788 (only on one of their short intra-europe sectors of course) and have any info about seat comfort and service etc. Also would be interested to see if anyone has flown their long haul product on the 340 and could give me some clues as to what it is like.

Thanks in advance for any responses. I'm looking forward to potentially my first fights on both DY and the 788 and 738NG.

Cheers guys and gals.

Alex.

debonair

RE: Thinking About Flying The DY 788 To Bangkok

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:17 am

How long will you stay in BKK? There a soo many other cheap options...

baldwin471
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 am

Quoting debonair (Reply 1):
How long will you stay in BKK? There a soo many other cheap options...

It's only one way. Will be there for at least two months, maybe three. Care to share them? I've scoured every other airline site i can think of and nothing even comes close. BA and TG are three times as expensive, MH and SQ about the same, and everyone else at least £250-£500 more.

debonair

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:26 am

Buy a return on top notch carrier OMAN AIR and throw the return (if not needed) away...

Depart Mon, 2 Sep LHR to BKK – 1 stop 16h 05m
This flight leaves on Monday (2 Sep) and arrives on Tuesday (3 Sep).
Oman Air – Flights 102 7h 25m
Take-off Mon 21:05 LHR London, ENG, United Kingdom
Landing Tue 7:30 MCT Muscat, Oman
Airbus A330-300 (Wide-body Jet) | 7h 25m
Change planes MCT Muscat, Oman 2h 10m
Oman Air – Flights 815 6h 30m
Take-off Tue 9:40 MCT Muscat, Oman
Landing Tue 19:10 BKK Bangkok, Thailand
Airbus A330-200 (Wide-body Jet) | 6h 30m

Return Mon, 18 Nov BKK to LHR – 1 stop 15h 25m
Oman Air – Flights 818 6h 00m
Take-off Mon 9:30 BKK Bangkok, Thailand
Landing Mon 12:30 MCT Muscat, Oman
Airbus A330-300 (Wide-body Jet) | 6h 00m
Change planes MCT Muscat, Oman 1h 10m
Oman Air – Flights 101 8h 15m
Take-off Mon 13:40 MCT Muscat, Oman
Landing Mon 17:55 LHR London, ENG, United Kingdom
Airbus A330-300 (Wide-body Jet) | 8h 15m

470GBP

baldwin471
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

Quoting debonair (Reply 3):

470GBP

Per person. DY is £449 for both

MIAspotter

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Quoting baldwin471 (Thread starter):
I'm just wondering if any of you have flown DY's 788 (only on one of their short intra-europe sectors of course)

I´ll let you know when I fly on it on August 2nd, unless another A.nutter flies it before (which surprises me as I have yet to see a TR popping up about it)

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 4):
Per person. DY is £449 for both

That´s a bargain! for that money don´t ask for much really.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

baldwin471
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 5):

I´ll let you know when I fly on it on August 2nd, unless another A.nutter flies it before (which surprises me as I have yet to see a TR popping up about it)

Sweet. Looking forward to hearing about it!

That´s a bargain! for that money don´t ask for much really.

Tell me about it. Decided to take the plunge today. Can't really beat that price, and it means i get to spend a few days in Oslo beforehand!

MIAspotter

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 6):
Sweet. Looking forward to hearing about it!

Oh you will 
Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 6):
Tell me about it. Decided to take the plunge today. Can't really beat that price, and it means i get to spend a few days in Oslo beforehand!

Sure, it shouldn´t be too bad, new plane, 31´ seat pitch, PTV, buy on-board (and the prices are reasonable) check their website before the trip and inform yourself on how´s it gonna be during the flight.  

Certainly beats the Charters out there.

MIAspotter
Nos vamos de Vueling?

Mortyman

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Order food with your tickets, or bring a credit card. There has been some reports of not being able to pay cash onboard Norwegian flights. Norwegian has made it Clear that it should not be a problem now, but just in case ...

reifel

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Honestly, the Norwegian fare is soooo low compared to all other options (seems to be half of it) that I would just go ahead. They will bring you there, even if it's with a Hifly plane you will still made a terrific deal. Even if something goes wrong, you have plenty of time it seems.

I myself am willing to pay a few bucks more to have a nice airline, but with SUCH a low fare, for me it's a non brainer. No sense to pay the double in coach in order to get a more fancier airline  

By the way, you may consider booking this flight with Opodo or Bravofly, but using the referral from Kayak. It will grant you a little discount compared to book directly via Opodo without passing via Kayak.

baldwin471
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Quoting MIAspotter (Reply 7):
Sure, it shouldn´t be too bad, new plane, 31´ seat pitch, PTV, buy on-board (and the prices are reasonable) check their website before the trip and inform yourself on how´s it gonna be during the flight.  

Can't be bad huh?   Looking forward to testing out an Android powered IFE system, too.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 8):
Order food with your tickets, or bring a credit card. There has been some reports of not being able to pay cash onboard Norwegian flights. Norwegian has made it Clear that it should not be a problem now, but just in case ...

I never really carry much cash anyway, so using a card won't be a problem.

airtrainer

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:25 pm

I beat you on this, I flew OSL-LGW yesterday   Had the chance to grab a premium Y seat for 8€, it was a really good expérience ! As for paying with cash onboard I don't know but everybody seemed to pay with their Visa/MasterCard...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

shamrock350

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:47 pm

I was on board yesterdays OSL-LGW Dreamliner flight as well, I was in economy and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hard product seems very good, seats were comfortable and the legroom is standard, at 31" it could be tight for someone taller but most people seemed fine with it. The Android powered IFE system was easy to use and the touch screen felt more robust and responsive than anything other airlines have, it ran smoothly for the entire flight and the selection was pretty good, the usual mix of TV and music is loaded onto it. There was a charge for headsets but most people just used their own which worked fine and there plenty of power points available, I was able to charge my iPhone with the USB port under the PTV.

There is no free WiFi like the rest of Norwegian's fleet, well not that I noticed! It's possible to order your food from the IFE system, wasn't in operation on my flight but is something they'll use on long haul. The cabin crew were all very friendly and did a good job, many of them were still in training though.

Forward economy cabin:

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/Shamrock380/IMG_3573_zpsf81a5454.jpg

Shamrock350