Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RNOcommctr
Topic Author

Insane Fare Difference: MEX-DFW/IAH

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:56 pm

I live in Houston and am about to book tickets for my step-daughter to visit from MEX. Picking midweek dates about four weeks from now shows UA and AM at about $584 RT. Just for the heck of it I also checked MEX-DFW for the same dates: $314 on AA. That's a difference of $270! Both routes are served by two carriers. Any ideas about the huge fare difference?
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

prosa

RE: Insane Fare Difference: MEX-DFW/IAH

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:09 pm

IAH is closer to being a fortress hub, maybe?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Most times I've priced out UA for a trip I've taken, they've been pretty high compared to the competition so maybe the same goes for this route. Maybe if UA's prices being higher than AA's, AM doesn't have to go as low with theirs out of IAH as they do from DFW
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

kgaiflyer

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:28 pm

I just bought an itinerary on UA for 9/21.

I had a choice of doing UA nonstop IAD-PDX @ $1123.00 or doing a UA one-stop BWI-SFO-PDX @ $297.10 .

This is on the same airline out of the same metropolitan area (Guess which of the itineraries I bought.   )

Nevertheless, the difference is insane.

whiskeyhotel

Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:57 pm

SAT-MEX is consistently the cheapest routing from Texas to Mexico City (it's not unusual to see the flight selling for $250 or so on one or more carriers). I also live in IAH, and I'll usually drive to SAT to fly from there if headed to MEX. It helps that 4O, FL and AM all compete nonstop on the route, and that AA/UA also compete for connecting traffic.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but it also certainly feels like UA has cut a significant amount of capacity into MEX from the pre-merger days. I recall IAH-MEX being operated nearly every 1:30 or so pre-merger, primarily by CO 738s/739s. Today, there seems to be a lot less frequency on the route, with smaller A320s and a few ERJs operating most of the flights on that route. I suspect that also has something to do with the increase in prices on the route over the past few years (it used to be a reliably cheap international route from IAH if purchasing at least 21 days in advance at times other than Christmas/New Year's).

tommy767

Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:35 pm

Quoting whiskeyhotel (Reply 4):

Pretty sure Mexico was RJ heaven with CO into IAH.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

ORDTLV2414

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 3):
I had a choice of doing UA nonstop IAD-PDX @ $1123.00 or doing a UA one-stop BWI-SFO-PDX @ $297.10 .

I just don't understand how that works from UA's perspective.

RyanairGuru

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:03 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 5):

The country was, yes, but MEX was mainline

Quoting ORDTLV2414 (Reply 6):
I just don't understand how that works from UA's perspective

It makes little sense, I agree, but it depends on what the competition is doing. On non-stop flights you have much more pricing power as people will pay for the convenience, but for one-stop nobody will fly you if WAS-SFO-PDX is double the price of AA via ORD or DL via MSP. Therefore for one-stop options it is much more common to peg your prices to the lowest common dominator. And also don't forget that he is comparing BWI to IAD... WN is in town!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

kgaiflyer

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Quoting ORDTLV2414 (Reply 6):
Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 3):I had a choice of doing UA nonstop IAD-PDX @ $1123.00 or doing a UA one-stop BWI-SFO-PDX @ $297.10 .

I just don't understand how that works from UA's perspective.

Nor do I.

UA @ IAD tends to charge whatever the market will bear for its nonstops since they have virtually no competition.

UA @ BWI seems to gauge fares based on NK and WN fares. But "in-the-know" types tell me fares jack up near the day of flight to catch (apparently) BWI's considerable same-day counter traffic.

whiskeyhotel

Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 5):

As RyanairGuru mentioned, much of the country was serviced by COEx ERJ-145s, but IAH-MEX was predominately mainline just before the merger (738s and 739s as I recall), with usually only one or two RJ services (usually the latest evening services). The mix is still mostly mainline, but with slightly smaller equipment (A319/20, 73G/8, RJs, and a single 752 on Saturdays).

DesertAir

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:55 pm

I find AM fares usually higher than the competition. For national travel within Mexico, AM is almost always higher than Interjet and Volaris.

aerorobnz

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:02 am

lol it was the same for my flight from MEM-LAX (on UA). flying MEM-IAH-MCO-PTY-EWR-LAX was about $50 extra than MEM-IAH-LAX on UA ($449). As you can imagine, it was worth it for the mileage and he number of flights to my log. I now get a couple of nights in PTY to spot.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

IAHFLYR

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:17 pm

IAH occupies very high spot on the most expensive air fare list in the U.S. to just about any destination, and it has been that way for a few years now. There was a thread a few months back that listed the highest ticket prices, I just haven't looked for it recently.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.