Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jreuschl
Topic Author

WN Devalues Rewards Points After 3/14

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:57 pm

Email from Southwest today:

"We want to inform you of an upcoming change to the Rapid Rewards® Program that will affect the number of points needed for reward travel. Wanna Get Away® reward flight bookings made on or after March 31, 2014 will require 70 points per dollar. This is an increase from the 60 points per dollar currently required. Anytime and Business Select® reward flight redemption rates, as well as the points per dollar you earn when flying, will remain the same as they are today."

I could see after that date awarding less points for newly purchased flights, but telling customers your points are less valuable if you do not use them after 5/14 seems like a slap in the face.

I guess WN has to think of things like this to get around charging for bags?

[Edited 2013-09-23 09:54:41]

Cubsrule

RE: WN Devalues Rewards Points After 5/14

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm not sure what the issue is. WN will still have the most generous redemption policy in the industry . . . by a long shot. A business select ticket BNA-LAX, which is typically between $1,000 and $1,200, will get me about enough points for a WGA ticket BNA-MDW. That same trip would only earn me about 6,000 MQMs on DL (assuming booked in Y/B).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ouboy79

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:21 pm

Quoting jreuschl (Thread starter):
I could see after that date awarding less points for newly purchased flights, but telling customers your points are less valuable if you do not use them after 5/14 seems like a slap in the face.

I guess WN has to think of things like this to get around charging for bags?

So it looks like earning will still be 6 pts per dollar on WGA, it is just the redemption going up. Definitely a way to try to pull excess points out of the system. Compared to other system, if you catch WN on a sale you can make out really well.

WN has to do something raise revenues to meet goals.

jreuschl
Topic Author

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:22 pm

They had a number of double points promos in the last year or so. Don't offer those if you think there are too many points in the system!

Alitalia744

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:29 pm

This is going around.

Airlines have been giving points out and are faced with insane amount of live points against their balance sheet.

Delta recently raised award redemptions (quietly) to pull excess points out of the system.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

apfpilot

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 1):
A business select ticket BNA-LAX, which is typically between $1,000 and $1,200, will get me about enough points for a WGA ticket BNA-MDW. That same trip would only earn me about 6,000 MQMs on DL (assuming booked in Y/B).

Or you could buy first on that same flight for under a grand on DL
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

WNCrew

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:35 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 1):
I'm not sure what the issue is. WN will still have the most generous redemption policy in the industry . . . by a long shot.

I agree... and it's not as if any of these points are expiring....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Cubsrule

RE: WN Devalues Rewards Points After 3/14

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 5):
Or you could buy first on that same flight for under a grand on DL

Correct (albeit not refundable). It's still only 150 percent MQMs, though, so it's the same number of MQMs as a Y/B ticket.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

MSPNWA

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm definitely not in favor of seeing my points get devalued, but I will give WN some slack on this one. Their points system is comparatively very generous and is valuable for even infrequent flyers. It won't stop me from flying them.

srbmod

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:56 pm

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 4):
Airlines have been giving points out and are faced with insane amount of live points against their balance sheet.

Yup, there's so many ways to earn miles/points without setting foot on a plane that the airlines really have nobody but themselves to blame.

Quoting alitalia744 (Reply 4):
Delta recently raised award redemptions (quietly) to pull excess points out of the system.

Looks like those 25,000 SkyMiles coach award tickets are up to 32,500 and 60,000 SkyMile First/Business seats are 62,500.

jetblueguy22

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Quoting jreuschl (Thread starter):

It's nice that an airline will tell you straight up that your points are worth less than they were yesterday. Unlike others who just set the bar for reward tickets at 40,000 miles when they say a R/T starts at 25,000. I'm talking about you DL.

Quoting srbmod (Reply 9):
ooks like those 25,000 SkyMiles coach award tickets are up to 32,500

I haven't gotten a reward ticket for 25,000 since the NW days. I typically fly 3 times a year on a reward ticket too. I may just be bitter. But DL has really devalued their FF program IMO.
Pat
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

srbmod

Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Quoting jetblueguy22 (Reply 10):
I haven't gotten a reward ticket for 25,000 since the NW days. I typically fly 3 times a year on a reward ticket too. I may just be bitter. But DL has really devalued their FF program IMO.
Pat

About three years ago I was able to snag one, I ended up having to reschedule the trip and it was the typical 40,000 SkyMiles award ticket. It makes you wonder how much longer before 40,000 SkyMiles

Pretty much all US airline FFPs are devalued these days since they hand out miles/points/credits like candy. With Delta doing away with expiration dates on SkyMiles a few years back, that means there's a large amount of SkyMiles out there than in the past and some of these changes are the result of that.

One thing I have noticed is that the amount of miles/credits/points that an airline's branded credit card will give you for signing up for the card have gone down in recent years as well. The Delta SkyMiles Gold Amex was giving new members 40,000 or 50,000 SkyMiles just a few years ago and now it's 30,000 SkyMiles (although they've put a $500 spending on the card within the first 3 months as a condition for the miles).